• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machines Announced (Multiple manufacturers, 2014, reference design, SteamOS)

I really hope we get to see the Steam controller on friday.

Also, any idea when SteamOS might be released?

"Downloadable soon. Free forever!
SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Stay tuned in the coming days for more information."

It looks like we'll know pretty soon. I expect after the 3rd announcement Valve will do interviews so we'll learn a bunch more stuff about everything.

jerry113

Banned
Call me crazy but I think there's going to be a surprise 4th announcement in the form of that slowly forming picture on the glowy star. I bet it's going to become clickable.

I hope the beta steam machine is cool looking.

add me at freeman3000 if you need more friends doh.

I just added you Todd. Anybody need some friends on Steam can add me too.

My name is -00-Zer0-

Just copy and paste my name if unsure how to type that in username search. Or you can look me up by account name which is crazy_fingers.

Sibylus

Banned
Call me crazy but I think there's going to be a surprise 4th announcement in the form of that slowly forming picture on the glowy star. I bet it's going to become clickable.
Every day, I see the number 17 in that star. Probably just my tortured Half-Life fan's brain giving me hope.

DrSlek

What's the cost? The PS4 has set an enticing entry price. PEACE.

I believe I read earlier that the high end price will be $300, and the lower end version may potentially be free.

No idea how that would be pulled off though. I'm taking it with a grain of salt until official word from Valve.

Really disappointed in how valve has rolled out this news. Could have been pieced together with the Steam OS announcement on Monday. This is almost as bad as them avoiding questions pertaining to HL3.

I believe I read earlier that the high end price will be $300, and the lower end version may potentially be free.

No idea how that would be pulled off though. I'm taking it with a grain of salt until official word from Valve.
The base mid-range model will be $300; The high end model will cost as much as you are willing to pay apparently.

Syf

Banned
Every day, I see the number 17 in that star. Probably just my tortured Half-Life fan's brain giving me hope.
I see a headcrab when I look at it. Even made a picture. ;-;

hl3confirmedoneeleven.jpg~original

Gaben pls.

Quasar

Really disappointed in how valve has rolled out this news. Could have been pieced together with the Steam OS announcement on Monday.

Given the stage its at and the vagueness I pretty much agree. With hardware I expected much more detail and probably one announced partnership with a hardware maker.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
model13 said:
Streaming latency- I would likely keep my current computers with a few upgrades. I have a full size tower in the office and a small HTPC in the living room.
There are way better alternatives to wirelesly delivering your Tower->TV than buying another PC Box(ie not subject to compression or latency issues). I'd venture a guess average Steambox will be costlier than said alternatives as well.

TheKayle

Banned
Mantle from Dice supported by SteamOS im seeing this

now i want see how many devs (have no more excuse to dont jump on pcs and push it like u did with consoles) ...expecially indies ..will not jump in

this COULD mean...next gen console hardware surpassed in 2014...(i bold COULD) in a simple livingroom machine

I find the idea of SteamOS consoles from various manufacturers fascinating, but Valve has to adress one issue if this thing is to succeed. There needs to be a minimum guaranteed stadard of performance. Valve should tell hardware manufacturers "you can put anything you want in your SteamMachine, as long as it's stronger than this" and point to one specific combination of CPU, GPU and RAM. If this doesn't happen and manufacturers are left free to create whatever they want then the SteamMachines will fail spectacularly.

This isn't Android where any phone you buy can make calls and run most of the apps. A consumer has to be absolutely sure that if he buys a SteamMachine he'll be able to play all games released for that platform, no exceptions. People who want to play at 1080p@60fps instead of 1080p@30fps can opt for a more powerful machine, but everyone needs to have access to all released games. The Android solution of "if your device isn't compatible you won't be able to buy it" would be catastrophic and it would kill the SteamMachine dead.

Imagine the following scenario. The latest, hottest videogame came out for PS4, XB1 and SteamMachine and I want to play it but I need to buy a console. I don't have $400 for a PS4, but what is this? There's a SteamMachine available for only $300! Awesome! I buy it, get back home and enter the shop to buy Call of Duty: Dogs with Shotguns. I search the shop, can't find anything. I go back to the store, ask the shopkeeper and it turns out that I need a Silver SteamMachine or better in order to run COD: DWS Instead of the Bronze one I bought. I go home, sit in the shower in a fetal position and cry.

This scenario is totally unacceptable in a living room environment. Unless Valve enforces a minimum spec the SteamMachines will be a disaster.

MaLDo

Mantle from Dice supported by SteamOS im seeing this

now i want see how many devs (have no more excuse to dont jump on pcs and push it like u did with consoles) ...expecially indies ..will not jump in

this COULD mean...next gen console hardware surpassed in 2014...(i bold COULD) in a simple livingroom machine

Mantle will jump into linux soon, i'm seeing it too. And started in a EA game.

If average steam machine is not more powerful than next gen consoles in 2014, will be in 2015, or 2016 ... because next gen consoles need a 6 or 7 years lifetime as minimum. In the long trail, those consoles will reduce the price, but a 300$ (o 400$ or whatever) steam machine will be more powerful every year. You can buy a 499$ steam machine in 2016 but not a 499$ xbone that year.

Maddrical

There are way better alternatives to wirelesly delivering your Tower->TV than buying another PC Box(ie not subject to compression or latency issues). I'd venture a guess average Steambox will be costlier than said alternatives as well.

I use wireless HDMI to connect my PC to my TV and it works pretty much perfectly. I've completed most controller-enabled games I own using this setup and haven't really encountered any issues. The biggest downfall of this is that I have to use my TV speakers instead of my bookshelf speakers, this could probably be fixed if I bought a cable to run between my sound card in my PC and my amplifier, however I'm pretty lazy.

TheKayle

Banned
Mantle will jump into linux soon, i'm seeing it too. And started in a EA game.

If average steam machine is not more powerful than next gen consoles in 2014, will be in 2015, or 2016 ... because next gen consoles need a 6 or 7 years lifetime as minimum. In the long trail, those consoles will reduce the price, but a 300$ (o 400$ or whatever) steam machine will be more powerful every year. You can buy a 499$ steam machine in 2016 but not a 499$ xbone that year.

remember that here in europe we pay that $ traslated in euro
399 euro ps4 (538 dollars)
499 euro xb1 (674 dollars)
this mean we pay even more...
for something close to that (really close ..something like 550/600) i can already buy a pc that destroy that console hardware in performance (also a branded pc) ..and if a low lvl driver give me the performance that i payed for...well console hardware will make ppl laugh

Karu

This scenario is totally unacceptable in a living room environment. Unless Valve enforces a minimum spec the SteamMachines will be a disaster.
This may work for the first couple of month, but then? Your described scenario would only work if all software released is limited to the minimum hardware - and not the other way around (Since the Software/graphics evolves over time (the hardware does that too, but a hardware-purchase is more unfriendly to the customer)). So you would have basically a console. Which the SteamMachine apparantly isn't, at all.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Maddrical said:
I use wireless HDMI to connect my PC to my TV and it works pretty much perfectly.
Yep - likewise. The fact the signal has no compression and is essentially lag-free (and stable - unlike certain wifi-streamer setups), makes it comparable to just running a cable.

The biggest downfall of this is that I have to use my TV speakers instead of my bookshelf speakers, this could probably be fixed if I bought a cable to run between my sound card in my PC and my amplifier, however I'm pretty lazy.
Well you can always get a receiver to pipe HDMI through, and deal with the audio from there in the living room, but anyway - that's the same thing you'd need to do if PC was sitting under PC either way.

Eknots

Anyone want to enlighten me on who this would be marketed to? I would think most people who this would be for will continue building their own pc instead of paying someone just because it's created by valve. Not trying to be critical just to be critical but I really don't know who this is for.

Anyone want to enlighten me on who this would be marketed to? I would think most people who this would be for will continue building their own pc instead of paying someone just because it's created by valve. Not trying to be critical just to be critical but I really don't know who this is for.

People buy ready-built PCs to play games on, not every PC gamer is a tech enthusiast.

Can't wait to see how the 399 and 499 models measure up against the PS4 and XB1.

Eknots

People buy ready-built PCs to play games on, not every PC gamer is a tech enthusiast.

Can't wait to see how the 399 and 499 models measure up against the PS4 and XB1.

What I mean is there are already quite a few giants in the business of pre-built PCs already, unless they just want to brute-force the market with the Valve name. I just don't see why they're trying to go up against the likes of Alienware/Dell/Origin etc because I don't think that many people will buy it just because it has SteamOS pre-loaded, however I can see the lower range models being attractive like you mentioned which were the models around the xb1/ps4 price range Then again that's why I don't work in business.

M.D

"Launch and play a game using a gamepad in Big Picture mode"

Did this, but its not registering for some reason

Edit: Works now!

Enkidu

What I mean is there are already quite a few giants in the business of pre-built PCs already, unless they just want to brute-force the market with the Valve name. I just don't see why they're trying to go up against the likes of Alienware/Dell/Origin etc because I don't think that many people will buy it just because it has SteamOS pre-loaded, however I can see the lower range models being attractive like you mentioned which were the models around the xb1/ps4 price range Then again that's why I don't work in business.
Valve probably isn't going to be the exclusive manufacturer of these boxes. There's no reason there can't be an Alienware steambox for example.

tsab

I saw some of you in Chat in the Neogaf group...started adding friends :)

I just added you Todd. Anybody need some friends on Steam can add me too.

My name is -00-Zer0-

Just copy and paste my name if unsure how to type that in username search. Or you can look me up by account name which is crazy_fingers.

I suppose I should join in. I need some friends, my Steam life is very lonely.

I also wouldn't turn down an invite to the GAF group.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zrof/

I needs some friends feel free to add me steam I'd is Onelostwithin.

Hi, invite sent

Since I'm a junior member I'll post this here instead of in an official NeoGAF thread.

EZNMgmO.jpg

I took around 12 hours to reach >100.000 possible beta candidates after Valve's second announcement. Since Valve decided to ship 300 Steam Machine prototypes the chances are pretty low that any of us will receive one of these mind-boggling Gabe Cubes.

But hey:

Soon, we’ll be adding you to our design process, so that you can help us shape the future of Steam.

Will I be able to build my own box to run SteamOS?
Yes.

Nah, I can't wait. Hence, I decided to add myself. Not only that I'm impatient, I also belong to the potential target audience anyway. I have an old Zephyr XBox360, my dusty old desktop hardware is listed below & I have to use my Macbook Pro 2010 for some PC related gaming (OSX or WinXP). You can see, this setup is not very future-proof and for most of the NeoGAF members presumably a nightmare.
I also collected a huge bunch of Indie-Bundles, which are mostly also playable in Linux - my Steam library would make a great launch title collection. Furthermore, I have no screen right now, only a LCD tv in my livingroom. I like to play with the terminal, but I consider myself as a pure Linux beginner with some google skills. And last but not least - I save all my dimes and hopes for the official Oculus Rift.

But first, the prototype(s)

While these official Steam Machines are still in development, I help myself. As always, I believe the best way to ensure that the right products are getting made is to do it yourself. Therefore, I have designed an old & low-performance prototype that’s far away from being optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, it’s also completely upgradable and open.

Here’s how to participate

Want to make yourself eligible to participate in the beta? Get some hardware, install a Linux distro and Steam & share your experiences in the future OT which does not exist ATM.

My hardware:
  • MSI K8N Neo-4F motherboard
  • AMD Athlon X2 64 4200+ Sockel 939
  • 4x1Gig PC400 memory
  • XpertVision Radeon X1950GT 512MB AGP 8x
  • Samsung 4000Gig 720rpm SATA I
  • 420W PSU

The X2 64 is one of the first dual core amd64 CPUs. My approach will be to build a Linux based custom Steam Machine. To everyone's surprise Valve decided to play it slow, hence SteamOS is not available right now. Therefore, my first step will be to install Ubuntu 12.04 amd64 and Steam for Linux. In the future SteamOS is very welcome to join this beta as well. After reading a lot about Steam & Nvidia it's interesting to see how my Radeon will perform under Ubuntu and also SteamOS.

To further complicate my approach will use non-standardized and extremely inappropriate peripherals:

• Original XBox360 controller via Microsoft USB thingy - which is already a pain in OSX with wide ranges from bad to not functioning in Super Meat Boy, Pid & Limbo
  • Apple Magic Mouse - a technical disasterpiece for any FPS
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard

I'm looking forward to connected the dots, getting angry, try to make the balance and finally deliver more than the sum of it's parts. This post will be updated regularly. Here is my Steam profile and feel free to add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/rockpaperbird

//silent edit, because I'm sure that nobody will read this anyway

Wow, I'm surprised, everything was so easy and smooth. After installing Ubuntu 12.04 amd64 via the USB installer, I installed Steam for Linux. No problems so far.
I learned, that I don't need the official Catalyst driver for my X1950. The GPU is to old and not supported. But it's alright, the open radeon driver fully supports my chipset.
Steam was already running and I plugged Microsoft's wireless controller adapter into the USB port. This installation works well for Windows and most of the Steam games with controller support are good to play. But for OSX you need an unofficial driver and half of the OSX steam games with full controller support are still not playable. Hence, I expected some troubles. To my surprise after synchronizing the controller with the adapter Steam started the Big Window mode automatically and I was instantly able scroll through the menu with the controller.

The games so far
I downloaded Waking Mars and FEZ. Waking Mars was just a short test if the framerate is alright if the game is not so demanding. I have no idea how many frames, but it was smooth. Happy and reassured I turned to FEZ - which is running good on my MB pro 2010, but you can also see some slow downs here and there (this is not the case when I boot into Win XP via bootcamp and play this installation). However, FEZ on Linux runs great. No problems and full controller support.

Now, I started downloading TF2 because I don't think that this will work well. Even my office computer (Dell workstation from 2012 with Nivdia Quadro GPU, Xeon CPU, and heaps of memory) has trouble to run TF2 in Ubuntu (around 8 to 10 frames), while the Win7 partition installation achieves with all settings at high around 80 fps.

That's it for now - I think I will test some more games for controller support during the next days & I'm looking forward to see Half Life 2 and Portal 1 & 2 in action.

//silent edit #2, because I'm sure that nobody will read this anyway
  • Team Fortress 2 - at first I got this error message: "Could not find required OpenGL entry point 'glColorMaskIndexedEXT'! Either your video card is unsupported, or your OpenGL driver needs to be updated." - I found this discussion and one work-around. This helped, but TF2 is unplayable at 1 to 3 fps with lowest settings. Would be nice to know if the Source 2 engine supports older GPUs in SOS by default via new drivers.
  • Half Life - no frame rate problems. The controller is not very usefull, but I can play with wireless mouse and keyboard.
  • Amnesia - Playable with mouse & keyboard. I would expect more frames under higher settings, but my hardware is very old anyway.
  • Proteus - the controller handling is great, also no problems
  • Electronic Super Joy - pixel indie jump'n'run, controller works well

So far switching from Windows or OSX to Linux, installing Steam and play some games can be done within in one day. Usually, I could solve the minor problems by some google research. Connecting peripherals from Microsoft, Apple, cheap Chinese distributors was no problem at all - mostly plug & play. Older hardware works also, but the driver support for the GPU seems to be a bottleneck for playing source engine games (i.e. TF2, HL2). I wonder how GPUs with newer chipsets perfom.

EVIL

nice sofiabudapest, I am expecting there will be allot more community builds once they release the specifications, which I assume is after the Beta period.

Some of you guys seem to be worried about the entry price or high end versions of the Steam machine are thinking in the short term. In the long you can easily close that gap with how much you save during Steam sales/deals of the week, etc.

This may work for the first couple of month, but then? Your described scenario would only work if all software released is limited to the minimum hardware - and not the other way around (Since the Software/graphics evolves over time (the hardware does that too, but a hardware-purchase is more unfriendly to the customer)). So you would have basically a console. Which the SteamMachine apparantly isn't, at all.

Sure it is, it's just an more open one than we're used to. Assuming that new, more powerful SteamMachines will be coming out constantly, Valve can monitor everything through the Hardware survey and let developers know what kind of machines people have.

So as long as there's a significant number of people that use the SteamMachine1, developers will target that. In the course of time, as people buy new SteamMachines or upgrade, Valve will introduce the SteamMachine2 standard and devs will target that. It's like traditional console generations but this time it's the customers who will decide when it's time for a new generation.

Without a minimum standard this thing will fail.

Khaz

I'm kind of starting to look at the Alienware X51 again. Is the £600 one good value? I wouldn't want Win8 with it obviously so it's probably overestimated anyway.

Tobor

Alienware isn't the competition. They'll be partners. It's a guaranteed lock they and every other boutique shop will be offering SteamOS as an option when you buy.

Top Bottom