• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreavus

Gamer @ Heart said:
wow, his moves are cool. I wonder if Krystals will be just as good?

I think that you sir, are trying to incite a riot. :lol

Wikipedia said:
A person is guilty of inciting to riot when he urges ten or more persons to engage in tumultuous and violent conduct of a kind likely to create public alarm.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Kodiak said:
adding:
m-advancewars2_sami_01-jpg.jpg

or
m-advancewars2_andy_01-jpg.jpg

I have a feeling that one of them might be playable.

farnham

Banned
kirby whorage..? definately not... kirby is one of the strongest nintendo franchises... it deserves its updates (i demand more kirby cuteness!)

problem about those advance war characters is that they are being removed from the franchise. I believe i remember hearing on 1upyours that Andy is not in the upcoming Advance Wars and that they are going for a more serious tone

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Suburban Cowboy said:
problem about those advance war characters is that they are being removed from the franchise. I believe i remember hearing on 1upyours that Andy is not in the upcoming Advance Wars and that they are going for a more serious tone

Ness wasn't in any Mother games past Earthbound and wasn't going to be in the N64 version but he was still in Smash.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SovanJedi said:
Is that a compliment or an insult to Smash Bros.? I can't really tell with them anymore, I'm half asleep.

It's making fun of Jay Leno so its more like its taking a fact and trying to make a funny comment

Soulhouf

Suburban Cowboy said:
Actually it's even worse in the Fire Emblem franchise but they still integrate characters from it.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
grandjedi6 said:
It's making fun of Jay Leno so its more like its taking a fact and trying to make a funny comment

Oh... right, I see.

Gabe and Tycho for Smash Bros. Brawl confi- NO. Sorry, that was wrong.

Darkpen

Banned
so hey, what nsfw picture was posted in that link to the link of the post in the thread title? Some sort of furry hentai?

Anyways, any guesses on dedede's neutral b? Didn't he swallow shit like Kirby?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Lumine said:
{Toad picture}

Clearly!

FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME TOAD IS ONE OF PEACH'S MOVES! IT EVEN HAS A PICTURE OF HER USING IT IN HER DAMN PROFILE!

What is wrong with some people? Jeez. I knew staying up last night to finish Phantom Hourglass would make me cranky this morning. What bittersweet victory that was.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, Dedede's a nice surprise. This game's starting to have too many characters, and he said he wouldn't mention the unlockable ones, right? That's crazy :lol Also, Sakurai can be as biased for Kirby as he wants, IMO, it's easily one of my favorite franchises. The enemies on the Subspace... story mode all look like they could appear on a Kirby game.

For now the only additions that could really surprise me are Klonoa, Megaman and Sami, Klonoa's the best possible option for Namco's representation, imo, but we'll see... Also I wonder if they could include some other Sonic character as an unlockable... As long as it's not shadow it would be great.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dreavus said:
I think that you sir, are trying to incite a riot. :lol

Why? She's basically confirmed at this point (see page 6 hundred-and-something). The Zero Suit Samus voice actress listed Krystal in her online resumé. It's just a matter of assist trophy or full character, now.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Fireblend said:
Well, Dedede's a nice surprise. This game's starting to have too many characters

In Smash Bros? No such thing.

Fireblend said:
and he said he wouldn't mention the unlockable ones, right? That's crazy :lol

Apparently, Sakurai said somewhere that the third party characters would all be unlockable. I don't have a source on this, but it sounds plausible. So either Sakurai made an exception for the two third party characters currently revealed, or some of the characters that have been revealed are unlockables. Personally, I think they're all starters so far, but Dedede might be unlockable.

Fireblend said:
Also, Sakurai can be as biased for Kirby as he wants, IMO, it's easily one of my favorite franchises. The enemies on the Subspace... story mode all look like they could appear on a Kirby game.

I agree with this because Kirby is one of my favourite franchises too. :D The Subspace enemies definitely resemble Kirby enemies. In particular, that wheel one (I can't remember its name right now) looks an awful lot like the Wheelie partner in Kirby Super Star.

Fireblend said:
For now the only additions that could really surprise me are Klonoa, Megaman and Sami, Klonoa's the best possible option for Namco's representation, imo, but we'll see... Also I wonder if they could include some other Sonic character as an unlockable... As long as it's not shadow it would be great.

Shadow might be an alternate colour scheme for Sonic, but I hope not. I don't think we'll be seeing more Sonic characters...Tails, the second most significant Sonic character, has been relegated to the Assist Trophy role, so outside of maybe Knuckles, I think that's it for Sonic characters. Dr. Eggman might make it as a boss character, though.

Koomaster

SovanJedi said:
FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME TOAD IS ONE OF PEACH'S MOVES! IT EVEN HAS A PICTURE OF HER USING IT IN HER DAMN PROFILE!

What is wrong with some people? Jeez. I knew staying up last night to finish Phantom Hourglass would make me cranky this morning. What bittersweet victory that was.
You know, the game doesn't even attempt to justify say; 4 Marios on-screen at once fighting each other. OMG how did this happen?!?!?!

Not that I think Toad would be likely, but it's not out of the realm of possibility just because Toad is part of Peach's moveset.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Going back a few pages, were people seriously hoping for Megaman over Captain Olimar?

This is Smash Bros., people. I'd take an interesting new Nintendo character over some past-his-prime third-party character that would just be a Samus clone anyday.

:lol

Haha...

Wow!

Did someone pay you to type that? How much was it? Really.

I want to know if you're getting ripped off.

...good stuff, good stuff.

NeonZ

Apparently, Sakurai said somewhere that the third party characters would all be unlockable. I don't have a source on this, but it sounds plausible.

Japanese Q&A of the old SSBB site. In the very same message, he said that he would update the site with characters like he did for SSBM's site (revealing unlockables only after release) and that the 3rd party characters would be unlockables, because it seemed more fitting.

Looking at it now, obviously, a part of that statement has to be wrong. I believe that everyone revealed so far is a starter. Why?

Sakurai has made no comment about unlockable characters up to now, so there's no reason to randomly assume that some of the revealed characters are locked somehow. When he introduced the "My music" section, he did mention that getting CDs unlocked bgms, so, if he had started to reveal unlockable characters, I'm sure we'd have gotten an update about it.

Lumine

SovanJedi said:

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought after reading this response.

ckohler said:
Isn't Toad like Yoshi in that he's not a particular character but more of a species? Or is there only one Toad?
Toad is like Yoshi in that there is both "the" Toad (blue vest, red spots; SMB2, Wario's Woods, multiplayer Mario games) and a species called Toads (SMRPG, Paper Mario, Sunshine, Galaxy).

In the same way, there is both "the" Yoshi (adult and green; SMW (his house appears, and he's the first one Mario finds in a block), multiplayer Mario games, Smash, Tetris Attack, SM64) and a species called Yoshi(e)s (SMW, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, SMRPG, Paper Mario, et al).

It's unclear if characters like Koopa and Paratroopa as they appear in the multiplayer Mario games are intended to be "the" Koopa and Paratroopa as with Toad and Yoshi, but it at least seems to be the case.

EDIT: As to how this applies to Smash, Peach's shield Toad appears to be "the" Toad, with the red spots and blue vest (although this combination seems common, at least in Paper Mario). If he had been replaced with a Toadsworth or Toadette, perhaps, for the attack, Toad himself would likely have a chance as a playable character or at least an AT. As it stands, though, it doesn't look good for the little guy.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Iam Canadian said:
Shadow might be an alternate colour scheme for Sonic, but I hope not. I don't think we'll be seeing more Sonic characters...Tails, the second most significant Sonic character, has been relegated to the Assist Trophy role, so outside of maybe Knuckles, I think that's it for Sonic characters. Dr. Eggman might make it as a boss character, though.
How does everyone know this but me? where did we get this info?

monkey79

Staccat0 said:
How does everyone know this but me? where did we get this info?

They are unconfirmed assist trophies. A guy claimed to have seen Pokey and Tails as assist trophies but no video exists and no one else saw them.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
in my Game Design class there was a Furry (like no joke, he draws home-erotic furry comics in his sketch books and talks about it like a gay rights activist) was whining that they should put tails in over sonic. I told him that Furries ruin everything good in this world and he got really pissed :(

NeonZ said:
Japanese Q&A of the old SSBB site. In the very same message, he said that he would update the site with characters like he did for SSBM's site (revealing unlockables only after release) and that the 3rd party characters would be unlockables, because it seemed more fitting.

Looking at it now, obviously, a part of that statement has to be wrong. I believe that everyone revealed so far is a starter. Why?

Sakurai has made no comment about unlockable characters up to now, so there's no reason to randomly assume that some of the revealed characters are locked somehow. When he introduced the "My music" section, he did mention that getting CDs unlocked bgms, so, if he had started to reveal unlockable characters, I'm sure we'd have gotten an update about it.
That would be way too many starters. I'm thinking that some of the revealed characters will be unlockable. Plus I'm still sticking with the theory that the characters on the boxart will be the starters.

My guess is that every character shown with the "Warning, Challenger Approaching!" banner will be unlockable. Meaning that, returning veterans and newcomers from the first trailer (aside from Snake) will be our only starters.

I also predict that any character from Melee that hasn't been revealed yet, will not be revealed on this site, but will be an unlockable. (Specifically: Ness, Jiggly, Luigi, C.Falcon, G&W, Mewtwo, Gannondorf, Y.Link, Marth, and I'm hoping Roy).

Xav

I'm bored of the special moves/final smash updates, they should have a little 10 second video showing us the moves instead of talking about it.

Xav said:
I'm bored of the special moves/final smash updates, they should have a little 10 second video showing us the moves instead of talking about it.
With the extra time due to the delay, hopefully they start doing that!

ElFly

LouieGeetoo said:
Toad is like Yoshi in that there is both "the" Toad (blue vest, red spots; SMB2, Wario's Woods, multiplayer Mario games) and a species called Toads (SMRPG, Paper Mario, Sunshine, Galaxy).

In the same way, there is both "the" Yoshi (adult and green; SMW (his house appears, and he's the first one Mario finds in a block), multiplayer Mario games, Smash, Tetris Attack, SM64) and a species called Yoshi(e)s (SMW, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, SMRPG, Paper Mario, et al).

It's unclear if characters like Koopa and Paratroopa as they appear in the multiplayer Mario games are intended to be "the" Koopa and Paratroopa as with Toad and Yoshi, but it at least seems to be the case.

EDIT: As to how this applies to Smash, Peach's shield Toad appears to be "the" Toad, with the red spots and blue vest (although this combination seems common, at least in Paper Mario). If he had been replaced with a Toadsworth or Toadette, perhaps, for the attack, Toad himself would likely have a chance as a playable character or at least an AT. As it stands, though, it doesn't look good for the little guy.

Even in Super Mario World there were several green yoshis. He appeared from eggs sometimes YOU CAN'T TELL ME IT'S THE SAME GUY

Dr.Hadji

Xav said:

Don't like reading eh? Then perhaps you shouldn't read what I'm about to say.

You're a mouse. And Sakurai has bee faithfully giving you cookies five times a week. Now you're demanding milk. Not any ordinary milk. Full motion video milk.

The problem with greedily wanting full-motion-video milk is, if you just had the milk, you'll forget that it was all about how wonder the cookie was (and the cookie giving) in the first place.

Also, it's much easier to take a cookie out of the cookie jar, than to pour you a glass of full-motion video milk.

This is the muffin-Jam fiasco all over again.

Dr.Hadji said:
Don't like reading eh? Then perhaps you shouldn't read what I'm about to say.

You're a mouse. And Sakurai has bee faithfully giving you cookies five times a week. Now you're demanding milk. Not any ordinary milk. Full motion video milk.

The problem with greedily wanting full-motion-video milk is, if you just had the milk, you'll forget that it was all about how wonder the cookie was (and the cookie giving) in the first place.

Also, it's much easier to take a cookie out of the cookie jar, than to pour you a glass of full-motion video milk.

This is the muffin-Jam fiasco all over again.
Now I'm hungry! :D

MrNibbles

Banned
This week's updates have sucked so far.
I'll be staying up again F5ing tonight though.

Srsly though, no updates on Friday nights makes me sad.

We damn well better get a demo of this game in Nintendo Power (which was sold off, and is being completely restructured, with the first "new" issue being the December issue (I think?)).

MrNibbles said:

We damn well better get a demo of this game in Nintendo Power (which was sold off, and is being completely restructured, with the first "new" issue being the December issue (I think?)).
How can you not like King Dedede being revealed? Also some people have already received the new Nintendo Power. No demo disk.

GamerSoul

Father_Brain said:
Not as flashy as one might think from that shot; based on the E for All videos, she's just a static 2D image, rather than a giant, animated 3D model.

I hope they fix that. Atleast maker her less transparent.

Father_Brain said:
Not as flashy as one might think from that shot; based on the E for All videos, she's just a static 2D image, rather than a giant, animated 3D model.
This saddens me. Oh well, at least the image looks nice!

ohamsie

MrNibbles said:

You think that a week including a new character, confirmation of video replays, and the pictochat stage sucks?

NeonZ

CreatureX3 said:
That would be way too many starters. I'm thinking that some of the revealed characters will be unlockable. Plus I'm still sticking with the theory that the characters on the boxart will be the starters.

The clones were the only reason SSBM had many unlockable characters (14/15 starting VS 11 unlockable). It only had 5 unlockables with their own moveset, only 2 more than in SSB, even though there were 6/7 more starting characters in Melee than in the original.

If they keep that structure, I could see this game having only 8 unlockables with real movesets (and that's probably including Luigi, Jigglypuff and 2 of the SSBM unlockables). If there are more than that, they're probably clones.

Plus I'm still sticking with the theory that the characters on the boxart will be the starters.

That theory can't be right. Zelda is playable in the second battle of Adventure mode, so she's default, but she isn't on the box.

Scribble

Does THE Toad really exist, though? What evidence is there (SMRPG doesn't count)?
Right now, Nintendo seem to be going with the idea that Toadsworth is THE Toad.

Somnid

If Dedede retains his float ability he's going to have one hell of a recovery. I seem him being among the hardest characters to KO.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Jiggy37 said:
People who don't believe Marth will be in Brawl:

Enduin wouldn't be surprised, but eh, that doesn't count really

After seeing Ike's play style and then Lyn getting demoted to AT, not even taking the FE:DS news into account, I am almost sure Marth is in Brawl. Before I was positive they would just swap character models with Marth and Ike and just have him replace Marth, but the move to make Ike a slow and crazy powerful pretty much guarantees theyre keeping Marth.

Im kind of surprised they didnt use the FE10 design for Ike instead of the FE9 seeing as his physique in FE10 is much more in line with his play style in Brawl as opposed to his rather lean and agile appearance in FE9.

There are going to be a lot of sword users in Brawl with Marth's inevitable return and the rather decent chance Ganondorf, taking on his TP design, will also hopefully carry over his awesome ass sword. Making the possible total of sword wielders at 6, all rather unique as well, where Melee had 4, two of which were basically clones.

I dont like Krystal at all, but man shes like the last hope for not only another female character, but also an armed character that uses a weapon thats not a sword or hammer. Sad times we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom