• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
OokieSpookie said:
I'll settle for Boston Legal and The Shield

The Shield is shot on 16mm. /cry

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
maharg said:
It is quite good, though a lot of people have issues with the last third where it makes a bit of a genre leap.

Its the best sci fi flick I've seen in ages. I think its coming to blu ray in Dec. One of only a few titles on blu ray that I really want along with Volver and Hostel.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Finally the Spider-man trilogy comes out tomorrow. I think i will buy online and pick it up at the store. With the recent trend of people buying more and more blu-ray movies, I do not want to be without the Spider-man trilogy tomorrow. My last big buy for the month of October.

Days like these... said:
Its the best sci fi flick I've seen in ages. I think its coming to blu ray in Dec. One of only a few titles on blu ray that I really want along with Volver and Hostel.

I'll be sure to pick that movie up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
widgetraf said:
So um.. I got an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive and I just want to make sure

Which one is the UPC code? Is it the white sticker with the Serial Number, Lot Number, etc?

The UPC should be the stuff with the barcode on it.

Edit:

And for those of you who missed out on the Best Buy Heroes deal:

slickdeals.net said:
Buy.com has Xbox 360 HD DVD Player plus Heroes Season 1 on HD DVD for $165. The player comes with a King Kong HD DVD and is also eligible for 5 free select HD DVD movies after mail-in rebate. Lowest on PriceGrabber for HD DVD Player from a reputable merchant is $175 and for Heroes HD DVD set is $70. Thanks Selma

Fillable rebate form is also available.

Note, Google Checkout is not available for this purchase because Heroes is being treated as a coupon.

Raistlin

ChrisJames said:
Onix, the article you linked to was about Mr. Woodcock, which is owned by New Line. That movie sucks major ass. Avoid at all costs.

1) Warner owns New Line to my knowledge

2) What does quality have to do with the discussion? :p

VanMardigan said:
Well, Paramount was releasing movies the following week (remember the Blu Ray copies of Blades of Glory?) as well, and that didn't stop them.

Agreed. That said, the 'situation' with Paramount was VERY public, and was not well-received. I would find it unlikely another studio, especially one as prominent as Warner, would like to repeat it.

Raistlin

Oni Jazar said:
More info on the Blu event:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?article_id=11449

Also there was Dan Silverberg, VP of high-definition media for Warner Home Video, which since Paramount’s move to the HD DVD camp is the only studio to support both next-generation formats.

That may not be for long, Silverberg said. “One thing that may be changing is our strategy,” he said. “When both formats launched and hardware prices were high, we made a decision to support both formats and let the consumer decide. But now that hardware pricing is affordable for both Blu-ray and HD DVD, it appears consumers no longer want to decide — so the notion of staying in two formats for the duration is something we are re-evaluating now that we are in the fourth quarter.”

Silverberg noted that Warner has the top-selling Blu-ray title of all time with 300 and is consistently No. 1 or No. 2 in both Blu-ray sales market share and in number of Blu-ray titles in the market.

Well then ... 0_0

Later in the day, on the 20th Century Fox lot, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn blasted Paramount for its defection, accusing the studio of “taking the bait,” referring to a reported $50 million payout to drop its support of Blu-ray Disc and release titles exclusively in HD DVD.

Dunn also intimated that the format war is being perpetuated by Microsoft in the hopes of confusing consumers so much they don’t support either format and ultimately buy their entertainment online. He didn’t name the computer giant by name, but blasted “the orchestrated campaigns of confusion and anti-consumerism fueled by an 800-pound gorilla [Microsoft] that would prefer to force us all into the practice of paying tolls for the right to exchange information and enjoy entertainment.”

:lol WOW!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
VanMardigan said:
Well, guys, I TRIED to go format neutral, but I failed. Got ripped off on Ebay, $400 down the drain, and now I have 3 Blu Ray movies at home with nothing to watch them on.

I know others have already encouraged you to do so, but I wanted to reiterate: work with Paypal on this, and go after your money.

I got scammed out of an $800 laptop on Ebay a few years ago; it devastated me, because that's serious money... Took me months to save it up. Luckily, though, Paypal was great about the situation and got me almost every cent back in less than a month. You'd be crazy not to try, letting this shitbag get away with it.

As for Warner's position, the comments Silverberg made are disheartening to say the least. I never expected them to go HD-exclusive, but I also didn't expect them to practically come right out and say that the company is eyeing a a very 'Blu' stance in the not-so-distant future. Still, the departure of that other, -pro-HD-DVD VP last(?) month was the writing on the wall.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dunn also intimated that the format war is being perpetuated by Microsoft in the hopes of confusing consumers so much they don’t support either format and ultimately buy their entertainment online. He didn’t name the computer giant by name, but blasted “the orchestrated campaigns of confusion and anti-consumerism fueled by an 800-pound gorilla [Microsoft] that would prefer to force us all into the practice of paying tolls for the right to exchange information and enjoy entertainment.”

Those little indie studios are so busy looking out for the consumer, they get blindsided by evil corporate giants.

Raistlin

Stinkles said:
Those little indie studios are so busy looking out for the consumer, they get blindsided by evil corporate giants.

:p

While self-serving and hypocritical ... the more that comes out, the more obvious it is that he happens to be right in this case.

The fact someone in his position is directly stating this (with no veiling at all, aside from not naming the very obvious name), is pretty serious IMO.

Besides the fact that it is somewhat unusual for someone in this position to be so direct ... the fact that his position also makes him privy to all the backroom dealings and goings on in the format war just makes his statements ...

... wow.

Onix said:

While self-serving and hypocritical ... the more that comes out, the more obvious it is that he happens to be right in this case.

The fact someone in his position is directly stating this (with no veiling at all, aside from not naming the very obvious name), is pretty serious IMO.

Besides the fact that it is somewhat unusual for someone in this position to be so direct ... the fact that his position also makes him privy to all the backroom dealings and goings on in the format war just makes his statements ...

... wow.

He just wants his pie and eat it too!
If he wanted to really help things along he would align with one or the other. I don't think he is as concerned about us consumers as he makes you think.

edit: thought it was the warner guy. Fox guy of course he will say this.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Stinkles said:

Ironic post? :lol

And haha at Warner possibly siding with Blu-ray. I guess that kills this weeks Warner going HD only rumor.

Ponn

Banned
favouriteflavour said:
He just wants his pie and eat it too!
If he wanted to really help things along he would align with one or the other. I don't think he is as concerned about us consumers as he makes you think.

edit: thought it was the warner guy. Fox guy of course he will say this.

Doesn't make it any less true. Not hard to connect the dots and people have been pointing this out for awhile now.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Onix said:

really? or is it just more obvious that he agrees with you?

theBishop

Banned
Stinkles said:

True enough, but you have to admit that Microsoft has no business getting involved in this "war". If they had gotten behind HD-DVD for real with Xbox360, that would be one thing. But Microsoft's support of HD-DVD is purely strategic (against Java, against Sony, against physical distribution) and the actual format means nothing to them.

I'm not a big "Microsoft is the boogeyman" kinda guy (I recommend the 360 to people looking for a typical game experience) but I agree, their involvement in all of this reeks of meddling, rather than consumer benefit. I realize there are a lof of 360 fans here who would rather not think that's true, but I think it is.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I'm not a big "Microsoft is the boogeyman" kinda guy (I recommend the 360 to people looking for a typical game experience) but I agree, their involvement in all of this reeks of meddling, rather than consumer benefit. I realize there are a lof of 360 fans here who would rather not think that's true, but I think it is.

Isn't this "iHD" stuff based on MS software?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dot50Cal said:
Ironic post? :lol

And haha at Warner possibly siding with Blu-ray. I guess that kills this weeks Warner going HD only rumor.

bluray is 'HD' as well, you know

I'd love Warner to go bluray only. Once this stupid format war is over (blu, red or dual), I want someone to write a book about all the goings-on.

KBox

I can't decide whether to get HD DVD or Blu-Ray!

On the one hand, for Blu-ray I love all the Disney, and Buena Vista movies and tv shows from ABC coming to the format. I can also get 300 etc. On the other hand HD DVD has Transformers and Matrix. Now that Warners might go Blu-Ray, I wonder if Matrix will be out for Blu-Ray.

I own a 360 only. Was thinking of getting a PS3 to jump on the Blu-Ray boat. Hmmm.

Quick question though, my tv is a 42in 1080i Sony Plasma, will 1080p blu-ray still look kick ass? I'm thinking yes. I saw a Demo at best buy and my jaw dropped. It looked much sharper than CABLE TV HD.

theBishop

Banned
KBox said:

On the one hand, for Blu-ray I love all the Disney, and Buena Vista movies and tv shows from ABC coming to the format. I can also get 300 etc. On the other hand HD DVD has Transformers and Matrix. Now that Warners might go Blu-Ray, I wonder if Matrix will be out for Blu-Ray.

I own a 360 only. Was thinking of getting a PS3 to jump on the Blu-Ray boat. Hmmm.

Quick question though, my tv is a 42in 1080i Sony Plasma, will 1080p blu-ray still look kick ass? I'm thinking yes. I saw a Demo at best buy and my jaw dropped. It looked much sharper than CABLE TV HD.

Unless you already own a PS3, I'd recommend staying out of the format war. The standalone players are pretty shitty, and the 360 external HD-DVD player is a lousy option.

If you want a PS3 for games, it makes sense to pick up some movies, but I wouldn't pay a cent on a standalone until the whole thing is settled.

KBox

theBishop said:
Unless you already own a PS3, I'd recommend staying out of the format war. The standalone players are pretty shitty, and the 360 external HD-DVD player is a lousy option.

If you want a PS3 for games, it makes sense to pick up some movies, but I wouldn't pay a cent on a standalone until the whole thing is settled.

Thanks, yea I probably will get a game or three on PS3. I'm fine with my 360 games, but yea, I was more going for it to get a Blu-Ray player. On the third hand, I'm also thinking of not jumping in and sticking to my upscaled Dvds. Everytime I pick up a DVD, I'm like should I wait and get it in HD later. Damn this format war lolz.

KBox said:

Warner is already neutral so the Matrix movies are coming sooner or later

Well, with a press conference tomorrow, I think WB announces exclusivity to either BD or HD-DVD. I am not sure which way they will go though...50/50 either way IMO.

It sounds outlandish, I know, but I really believe something big is going to be announced tomorrow, just in time for the holidays.

Oni Jazar

Maxwell House said:
Turns out that article is just a reedited version of an article from 9/12/07, with Blu-Ray editorial slants added. Here is the original. Notice it is alot less "pro Blu-Ray" from WB:

Here is the original article, again, dated 9/12/07:

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6477849.html

Um... no the article was regarding a Blu-ray event that occured yesterday.

If Warner was smart, they would hold off their bets until the end of Q4 when the cheaper players and fall titles have their effect. (That or wait for lots and lots of moneyhats!)

LOL, nm, I am all screwed up today. I realized the one Onix posted isn't the one with slants, this one is:

Dan Silverberg, Warner's vice president of High-Definition media, hinted Monday at a Blu-ray briefing for the media that the studio might soon endorse Blu-ray.

Warner is now the only major studio that releases movies in both format; two support HD DVD exclusively while four have endorsed Blu-ray.

But Home Media Magazine reports that Silverberg believes that Blu-ray may be winning the format war and, consequently, it may be time for the studio to pick one over the other

jjasper

If Warner were to go one way or another tomorrow here is what the side would gain as exclusive for this year:
The Aviator
Ocean's Gift set
Ocean's Thirteen
The Omega Man
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter Years 1-5: Limited Edition Gift set
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same
That’s Entertainment: The Complete Collection
Blade Runner (Complete Collector's Edition)
Blade Runner (Ultimate Collector's Edition)

I keep trying to second guess the Warner thing, and I am coming up empty.

The comment about player prices could mean that they want to go Blu, and player prices now make that possible. Or it could refer to the new lows in HD-DVD player prices.

Then again, given that money is probably involved regardless of the format they choose, it's all rationalization (as was Paramount's press). $ > Reason.

theBishop

Banned
jjasper said:
Also what is up with Weinstein? They have gone Fox like MIA.

Fox reaffirmed their commitment to Blu-Ray today. They promised 100 new Blu-Ray movies in 2008 and day-and-date releases alongside DVD "when they can":

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/Fox_Promises_Expanded_Blu-ray_Support_in_2008/1119

The interesting thing about the Weinstein story is not that they have been so quiet. When HighDefDigest asked about their plans, a rep said "We aren’t commenting on our High-Def plans at this time". That's a megaton IMO. Even if they had nothing new to announce, I would think a rep would say something like "Weinstein is currently exclusive to HD-DVD and we have no announcement at this time".

I think it is amusing how so much can change in a few days.
More and more people on the AVS and Highdefdigest forums are starting to shift to a belief that now WB may go blu and many who jumped out of the gate at the rumor earlier in the week are oddly silent or all of the sudden going with the "of it did happen it would not be a big deal" defense.

Personally I do not think they would make a move to either side until next year and the press conference will be to reconfirm their dual support but this turn is still pretty fucking funny still.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there any word of The Office ever coming out in HD? As silly and simple as it seems, something like an "Office Trilogy" in HD would be huge imo and would actually be quite a volley in the war. E.g., would probably get me to buy an HD-DVD player even though I already have a PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom