• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeed said:
They're both rated M, so I'm not sure what scale you're going to judge by to declare one "more M" than the other. Dante has more blood I suppose, but that has no bearing on how he has to be portrayed in SSBB. You'll note that Snake isn't going to be using any guns.

I thought that DMC was known well as being pretty violent and bloody, but that may be a different game.

That may be true, but I still couldn't see Dante fitting in. I mean, I couldn't see Snake fitting in, and they did it, but how would they do it with Dante? He'd stand out, I think.

Grecco

Zeed said:
They're both rated M, so I'm not sure what scale you're going to judge by to declare one "more M" than the other. Dante has more blood I suppose, but that has no bearing on how he has to be portrayed in SSBB. You'll note that Snake isn't going to be using any guns.

Dante has that whole omg DEMON! thing going but its irrelevant. Hes never been in a Nintendo game. So hes out. Dark/Light Brown/Yellow doesnt matter really.....

Nintendo needs Ryu Hayabusa instead anyways :p

I think that tonight's update will be semi-interesting.

I'm not expecting anything learned from E for All.

Predicting...

Triple update - Slime playable, Krystal playable, and Kirby's Copy change revealed!!

:D

m00

Jiggy37 said:
Seriously, the one time I played a game where he had arms and legs it just felt wrong. :/ Anyway, adding.

Was this Pac-Land, by any chance? An awesome early ('84) arcade platformer. It totally deserves to be on XBLA and Virtual Console (from YouTube videos, the TG-16 version appears to be a very faithful reproduction of the arcade game). It used three buttons (left, right, jump); double-tapping the left or right button makes Pac-Man run, just as you do in the Kirby games. Best of all, the designs for the yellow (noun that begins with y) and the ghost monsters come straight from the Pac-Man cartoons.

m00 said:
Was this Pac-Land, by any chance? An awesome early ('84) arcade platformer. It totally deserves to be on XBLA and Virtual Console (from YouTube videos, the TG-16 version appears to be a very faithful reproduction of the arcade game). It used three buttons (left, right, jump); double-tapping the left or right button makes Pac-Man run, just as you do in the Kirby games. Best of all, the designs for the yellow (noun that begins with y) and the ghost monsters come straight from the Pac-Man cartoons.

I played that at a supermarket once, was pretty okay.

Gaborn

A Link to the Snitch said:
I think that tonight's update will be semi-interesting.

I'm not expecting anything learned from E for All.

Predicting...

Triple update - Slime playable, Krystal playable, and Kirby's Copy change revealed!!

:D

So you WANT this thread to double and Neo-Gaf to explode? Really? You REALLY want that?

Jiggy

m00 said:
No, it was some kind of crummy SNES game. But what you're describing sounds decent and I'd like to play it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Somnid said:
Likewise, I think Earthbound is a POS

...No. Not going to start (another) fight.

Let's just say I disagree with you in the strongest, most vehement possible terms and leave it at that.

QuickKick89 said:
It's time for him to show us his moves.

So you expect a double update? Because we can't get the moves before the character. :D

Honestly, I hate to say this, but I think that people hoping for more obscure and/or completely unrelated to Nintendo third parties are just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Slime? It's from a likely third party company candidate, sure, but Slimes are not only lacking in limbs, but also in usable attacks. I mean, you could give it Rocket's Elasto Blast for one B move, but aside from that, Slimes have no moves worth speaking of. They may be mascots, but Slimes are really not known for much aside from rolling over and dying. That, and being very cute. I wouldn't count out a Square-Enix character or even a Slime as an Assist or Subspace Emissary enemy, but one's not likely to be a character.

Viewtiful Joe? He's probably too minor a character in the Capcom pantheon. He's had one critically acclaimed game and a string of mediocre to poor sequels to spinoffs. A short string, at that. Joe would make an excellent Smash character, I'm not denying that at all. But he just doesn't have the name recognition. If he was a Nintendo character, I'd say he would be likely. But with each third party getting one or (possibly) two characters, it's very unlikely Capcom would take him over Mega Man.

Dante? He's never been on a Nintendo system, not once. So far, every character has been on a Nintendo system. Snake's first game was even on the NES. (Was the original Metal Gear released on the MSX or NES first?) Besides, Dante doesn't have the iconic image of Mega Man or even Ryu. I'd count Arthur from Ghosts 'n Ghouls as more likely than him and I don't think Arthur has a snowball's chance in Norfair.

Crono? Come on. He only really appeared in one game that had any kind of mainstream success. He's considered dead in the canon of his own series (I think...I honestly never really played Chrono Cross). Square Enix has basically abandoned his series to the wolves. There's no way, guys.

Sora? He's technically owned by Disney. So that would just add yet another hurdle in order to get him in. If there's a Square character, it's likely that they won't bother going that extra mile just to get Sora. As much as I detest him, Cloud is more likely than Sora, unfortunately.

But I'd rather Cloud not be anywhere near this game. Jiggy, you can count be as being anathema to him if he counts.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Zeed said:
Some people say Wind Waker Link is too kiddy to be in Brawl, and now Dante is too matoor. We've been all over the spectrum with this.
Brawl has already got all sorts of characters in it. There really isnt any character who can be too "kiddy" or too "mature"

m00

Jiggy37 said:
At least we'll know what getting hit with a Subspace Army bomb feels like.
2cqzd4n.jpg

It's Krystal, from the Star Fox series!

62prkn7.jpg

Wh-wh-what's happening to NeoGAF?

62eewxi.jpg

Their sacrifices are so...so moving...

Grecco

Crono? Come on. He only really appeared in one game that had any kind of mainstream success. He's considered dead in the canon of his own series (I think...I honestly never really played Chrono Cross). Square Enix has basically abandoned his series to the wolves. There's no way, guys.

Thats irrelevant. Nintendo pretty much abandoned Kid Icarus and hes still here. Whether its a major franchise for a company doesnt mater as much as how much fan pull that character would have. Hes got a hell of a bigger shot at making it than Cloud does.

Gaborn

m00 said:
2cqzd4n.jpg

62prkn7.jpg

62eewxi.jpg

There is nothing moving about seppuku. Except the bowels/guts of the practitioner.

Iam Canadian

m00 said:
2cqzd4n.jpg

62prkn7.jpg

62eewxi.jpg

You are now my favourite genuine Junior Member. As opposed to Crushed, who is only a pseudo Junior.

Grecco said:
Thats irrelevant. Nintendo pretty much abandoned Kid Icarus and hes still here. Whether its a major franchise for a company doesnt mater as much as how much fan pull that character would have. Hes got a hell of a bigger shot at making it than Cloud does.

Nintendo can afford to put any obscure or abandoned character into the game they want, though. There's no limit to how many characters Nintendo can put in. But Sakurai is keeping the amount of third party characters strictly under control, so I doubt that any company will get more than one or, at the absolute max, two. If Square only gets one, they're more likely to put in a headliner.

Besides, Nintendo actually references Kid Icarus in its other games. Square more or less ignores the existence of the Chrono series.

m00

Iam Canadian said:
You are my favourite genuine Junior Member. As opposed to Crushed, who is only a pseudo Junior.

Yeah, what's the deal with Crushed? I'm thinking he posted so many times that he "wrapped around" back to zero.
What's a tag?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
ohamsie said:
Jiggy, give us some stats! How often have friday updates been disappointments?
I want something nice but since its Friday I'm expecting an update as to how to control the menus with the different control options or something like that.

justchris

Iam Canadian said:
.Honestly, I hate to say this, but I think that people hoping for more obscure and/or completely unrelated to Nintendo third parties are just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Slime? It's from a likely third party company candidate, sure, but Slimes are not only lacking in limbs, but also in usable attacks. I mean, you could give it Rocket's Elasto Blast for one B move, but aside from that, Slimes have no moves worth speaking of. They may be mascots, but Slimes are really not known for much aside from rolling over and dying. That, and being very cute. I wouldn't count out a Square-Enix character or even a Slime as an Assist or Subspace Emissary enemy, but one's not likely to be a character.

I agree. A Slime assist is possible, but he wouldn't make a very good playable character, cause he'd have no real A moves. For B moves though, there are differnt types of slimes, and some can do magic.

Viewtiful Joe? He's probably too minor a character in the Capcom pantheon. He's had one critically acclaimed game and a string of mediocre to poor sequels to spinoffs. A short string, at that. Joe would make an excellent Smash character, I'm not denying that at all. But he just doesn't have the name recognition. If he was a Nintendo character, I'd say he would be likely. But with each third party getting one or (possibly) two characters, it's very unlikely Capcom would take him over Mega Man.

No way Viewtiful Joe gets in over MegaMan. MegaMan is easily more iconic, and it's really unlikely they'd have two Capcom chracters in if they're not going to do two Konami characters.

Dante? He's never been on a Nintendo system, not once. So far, every character has been on a Nintendo system. Snake's first game was even on the NES. (Was the original Metal Gear released on the MSX or NES first?) Besides, Dante doesn't have the iconic image of Mega Man or even Ryu. I'd count Arthur from Ghosts 'n Ghouls as more likely than him and I don't think Arthur has a snowball's chance in Norfair.

Hahahaha, so true. And original Metal Gear was on MSX first I believe.

Hmm, I actually disagree, since Crono the character, and Chrono Trigger the game is very strongly associated with the Super Famicom. That being said, Crono probably won't make it because there are just better options from Square.

Sora? He's technically owned by Disney. So that would just add yet another hurdle in order to get him in. If there's a Square character, it's likely that they won't bother going that extra mile just to get Sora. As much as I detest him, Cloud is more likely than Sora, unfortunately.

Cloud is not more likely than Sora for several reasons. First of all, Disney and Nintendo get along extremely well. I think all they'd have to do is ask and they could get rights to put Sora in from both S-E & Disney if that's what they wanted. While they've both appeared on a a Nintendo console (in the same game for that matter) and Cloud is the more iconic of the two, Sora's character probably fits the world design of Smash Bros. better, and I think Sakurai, at least, would choose Sora over Cloud.

That being said, S-E still has better options to choose from, including main characters from FFIV and FFVI, or the ever present Cid. Cid, as a Final Fantasy staple almost as old as Chocobos, would make an interesting character, and have the right level of iconism, I think. I personally vote for Terra though.

Iam Canadian

Grecco said:
Crono pretty much is a headliner. When i think obscure i think Parasite Eve or something.

When I say headliner, I mean someone from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Someone the most amount of people will instantly recognize.

justchris said:
I personally vote for Terra though.

I definitely agree with you. Terra is by far my favourite protagonist from the Final Fantasy series. Perhaps not uncoincidentally, she's also from my favourite Final Fantasy game.

Jiggy

ohamsie said:
Jiggy, give us some stats! How often have friday updates been disappointments?
Well, I don't know how much it can be called a stat since it's pretty subjective, but in my opinion:

Fridaytons:
June 8th - Four Kinds of Control
August 3rd - What is the Subspace Emissary?
September 7th - My Music (+ Pokemon Stadium/Evolution + SSBB main theme)
October 5th - Team (co-op adventure)

Great Fridays:
Delfino Plaza, Lylat Cruise, Bridge of Eldin, Smashville, Petey Piranha (only for the confirmation of bosses), Wario Ware stage, Snake + MGS4 Love Theme + Snake's moves

Good Fridays:
Wario's moves, Taking Snapshots (+ Delay/E For All notice), King Dedede's moves

Everything else:
Pit profile, Samus profile, "This World" (storyline teaser), Knuckle Joe assist, Franklin Badge item, Peach profile, Ice Climbers profile, Tourney mode, Peach's final smash

I'd say that out of 23 Fridays, only four really sucked, and those were Pit, Samus, Peach, and Peach's final smash... But that's only because they were all known well before those updates happened.
However, a lot of people really like the character profile updates even if we knew the characters were in the game, so... Just judge by your own standard, I suppose. >_> I'd say Fridays have been excellent overall.

Iam Canadian

Interesting...we've never gotten a completely new character on a Friday.

Maybe we're due?

No, I'm sticking with my Assist Trophy prediction.

Grecco

Iam Canadian said:
When I say headliner, I mean someone from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Someone the most amount of people will instantly recognize.

Alot of people recognize Crono! When did he suddenly become obscure? :lol

Firestorm

psycho_snake said:
I really want to see a krystal update just so I can see what happens to this thread

Well, I dunno if it was discussed in this thread yet but Krystal's VA's page says she's voicing Krystal in Brawl. As a playable character, Assist Trophy, or in the background of the Star Fox stage is unknown.

Zeed

Banned
ohamsie said:
seems like friday's are pretty consistent in having good updates. Still, I'm going to guess Norfair as the update tonight.
We already had a stage, I'm not sure if we've ever had two stages in a row (Jiggy knows probably).

I'm sticking to Captain Falcon. Tonight's his night, I think.

Firestorm said:
Well, I dunno if it was discussed in this thread yet but Krystal's VA's page says she's voicing Krystal in Brawl. As a playable character, Assist Trophy, or in the background of the Star Fox stage is unknown.
Yeah it has been discussed. My guess is that Krystal will be playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom