• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JB1981 said:
everything looks great except the ledge-shimmey. It's just too fast imo.
I hate slow ledge shimmying with burning passion. I completely understand how they had to speed that up to make the move more viable, and I'm glad they did.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Loudninja said:
Alsoo HS was great, people need to stop making up crap

what does your comment have to do with my post?? I never said theat Heavenly Sword was bad. What does Heavenly sword have to do with Naughty Dog? I actually said I think Uncharted looks good. Heavenly sword is not Way of the Warrior. I was actually defending Naughty Dog.

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
everything looks great except the ledge-shimmey. It's just too fast imo.

So you would rather have ledge-shimmey that is slow?
Indifferent2.gif

Loudninja

Kasumi1970 said:
what does your comment have to do with my post?? I never said theat Heavenly Sword was bad. What does Heavenly sword have to do with Naughty Dog? I actually said I think Uncharted looks good. Heavenly sword is not Way of the Warrior. I was actually defending Naughty Dog.

Sorry dude not you :D.

Azsori

Kasumi1970 said:
This is from Naughty Dog so I know it will be good. They made only 1 bad game and that was on the 3D0 (way of the warrior)

That makes me think, I noticed are a surprising number of non hardcore gamers that are familiar with Naughty Dog. Example, my friend just got a PS3 and his little brother and friends were there. They were asking about "that cool looking game, Drake whatever, by the guys who made Crash".

This game might be bigger than everyone thinks...

Dizzan

MINI Member
Just popped in to post in the AFW that is the GOTY thread!

I'm counting down the minutes until this is out. This is the main reason I decided on a PS3 all those e3s ago. Who gives a shit if all the trailers were CG. Games like uncharted look WAAAY better than their CG targets.

Much love Naughty Dog

VonGak!

Banned
Elbrain said:
Why must there be trolls on this game Man its Freaking Naughty Dog dammit Have they not proved themselves already.

They are compensating for their sad lifes, only hidden behind a monitor can they feel a little better about them self.
Yes, they actually think they are being clever and cool while trolling. ^.^

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
XHitoshuraX said:
I may be too busy to make Official Threads lately...but bloody hell where are the Headers?!
sooo glad the last time I tried to make an official thread was before standards nazis arrived. If I ever do another one I think I'll stick to PSP games like I have so far, where people are just happy to have an official thread. :p

solid2snake said:
deja-vu, they said the same about Lair and Heavenly Sword :p

Nothing wrong with HS. For a new development team's first title, it was a monumental achievement and the start of something very significant for Ninja Theory. Their next game will no doubt be astonishing.

Jtrizzy

MassiveAttack said:
Nothing wrong with HS. For a new development team's first title, it was a monumental achievement and the start of something very significant for Ninja Theory. Their next game will no doubt be astonishing.

if they add a jump button and a block button.

Ploid 3.0

SolidSnakex said:
There seems to be a lot of cool little extras in the game, but that's gotta be my favorite from what's been described so far. With it beinga next gen graphics mode it's a must that they include some slowdown in it.

And have him comment on the slow down.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Anyone reviewing/playing it right now got any first impressions of the final build?

I just spoke with a friend who's reviewing it for print and surprisingly he's very mixed so far.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
nobody's obligated to like heavenly sword as much as i do, but bundling it together with lair is becoming a settled fanboy tactic. a really stupid fanboy tactic. there are few games bad enough to belong in lair's company, and heavenly sword is miles beyond.

jetjevons said:
Anyone reviewing/playing it right now got any first impressions of the final build?

I just spoke with a friend who's reviewing it for print and surprisingly he's very mixed so far.

7.5 confirmed?

jetjevons said:

RiotPelaaja said:
Wow.

I love Naughty Dog, always have. I had my doubts.

Playing the review code now. Sure, it's very linear, but goddamn. Best cut-scenes, voice-acting and characters in a long while. Nathan feels real, Elaine feels real, Sully feels real...Amy Henning had a really good point in this interview I did with her where she said that she feels the character work they can do in a videogame can now bring out the personality of characters. You dont have to make the characters wear strange clothes or spiky hair for them to stand out...you look at Ethan in the stills and you completely do Not get his personality, the way he moves, he sounds. There's real warmth to the characters.

I was skeptical about this game. On paper it sounds great. Modern day Indiana Jones. But it's a classic case of, showing the game at the wrong time. It's funny how some dev's do things the same way. Jak 2 was the same way. The preview codes were technically really good, but something was missing. The action didnt flow well and the controls weren't perfect. Then comes the review code and all those little changes made the game brilliant. Yeah, well, the difficult was pretty high, but still.

Uncharted has the same things. Every code before this was shaky, though there were always improvements. And us reviewers, gamers KNOW that early code is early, so many things change, but still..it's in the back of your head that this just isn't giving off that great vibe. This final game is. The story and opening are great.

Still, I have to say the action, the gunplay just feels somehow flat. I dont know what it is, but something's just amiss. There's no sense of...physicality or real excitement in the gunplay. It looks an acts like Gears of War, but lacks the visceral feel.

RiotPelaaja said:
The very beginning, chapter 4. Nice little detail is that my saves worked from the preview code which I played on the same machine.

The music is GOOD!. The audio design in both ND's and Insomniac's PS2 games were naff, but it's superb here. The music is in the vein of "traditional adventure movie" style...really well done. There's lots of cues, enemies showing up, seeing something etc, it's good. The sound design in general erm, sounds good. Great surround sound effects in the jungle that actually got me to look behidn my back to see what that rustling was.

The opening 30 minutes is just puzzles and platforming, but you really only have one way of doing things, but it all flows really well.

Ironically, it seems to be a bit like the crap Sony Ghosthunter and Primal games, where the graphics were insane, but everything in the enviroment was completely static, you could only do what the game wanted you to do. Uncharted seems the same but SO much better...I shouldnt mention it in the same paragraph as those two crap games.

More impressions once I get deeper in the game. So far the story and the characters havegot me completely hooked. I had a friend over who is not into the genre, but he was totally into the game and couldnt believe how amazing it looks. The graphics are really incredible, the difference between the preview and review versions is tangible.

RiotPelaaja said:
Got to the jetski, water scooter thing. I think chapter 8. I cannot stress enough how incredible the graphics are in HD. On SD a lot is lost, still looks good, but on HD, goddamn... there's been so much hype anout next-gen graphics and very few games have yet to really deliver, but boy, this one does in spades. The visuals are simply incredible.

The action's gotten better. Elena's pretty handy with a gun and the jeep escape sequence is, despite these sorts of scene's being done to death, a lot of fun. You got unlimited ammo in your grenade launcher so you can just mov down the pursuing jeeps and bikes whle trees go crashing....good fun!

RiotPelaaja said:
Deeper in the jetski part now, chapter 9. The graphics are just insanely good and detailed. Like, the true next gen games in terms of graphics so far have been Gears of War, Call of Duty 4 and Uncharted. Just goddamn. And you just speed past these enviroments never to return.

Jetski stuff is pretty fun!

Pallaris said:
How is the framerate? preview video or the jetski/jeep sections were a complete screen-tear fest, has this been sorted in the review code?

cheers

RiotPelaaja said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202071&page=8&

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
"Still, I have to say the action, the gunplay just feels somehow flat. I dont know what it is, but something's just amiss. There's no sense of...physicality or real excitement in the gunplay. It looks an acts like Gears of War, but lacks the visceral feel."

That's also what my friend said. Combat is "soft". Also he claims the FPS is shaky, the cinematics are overblown and that the graphics feel too "plasticky". Make of that what you will.

None of this diminishes my hype for the game btw.

Loudninja

jetjevons said:
"Still, I have to say the action, the gunplay just feels somehow flat. I dont know what it is, but something's just amiss. There's no sense of...physicality or real excitement in the gunplay. It looks an acts like Gears of War, but lacks the visceral feel."

That's also what my friend said. Combat is "soft". Also he claims the FPS is shaky, the cinematics are overblown and that the graphics feel too "plasticky". Make of that what you will.

Read on, it got better, also graphics feel too plasticky?

Dante

jetjevons said:

Er what build is your friend playing, all reports have said the framerate is silky smooth.

Loudninja

Dante said:
Er what build is your friend playing, all reports have said the framerate is silky smooth.

Yeah I like to know as well, not one site reported Framerate drop.Nopt 1up, not gamespot, not IGN, no one

jetjevons said:

He mentioned later in his impressions that the combat had started getting better. So the action will get better as the enemies get harder.

tanod

when is my burrito
Elbrain said:
Why must there be trolls on this game Man its Freaking Naughty Dog dammit Have they not proved themselves already.

Solid2Snake has been on a roll lately. He's going for stealth troll of the month award.

Loudninja

Uncharted's opening level offers a taste of what Uncharted seems to be offering in abundance--an enjoyable action adventure with intuitive controls backed up by a compelling storyline. The cover system works quite well, and it's clear right off the bat that taking intelligent cover will be an extremely important skill to master in Uncharted. While hand-to-hand combat seems well implemented, it looks like something which gamers will use mostly as a last resort, as even in this opening level opponents would often block attacks (not to mention leaving Nathan open to gunfire from other enemies). And even in this opening level, the strength of the story, characters, and the writing shines through. For example, when Nathan tries to convince Elena to fight the pirates instead of fleeing, he uses the line: "These guys don't take prisoners--well, at least male prisoners."

But probably what's most impressive are the graphics and animations in Uncharted. Simply put, the game looks great, with plenty of fine detail littering the gameworld and the characters. Animations are also quite lifelike--pirates flinch and bob their heads when under fire, while Nathan sports a wide range of realistic-looking movements

gamespot

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
As far as impressions go, Kotaku guy also said the game's the real deal, but not much more than that.

What does it mean that cinematics are overblown? Like the lighting in them has too much bloom, or there's too many cinematics?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Loudninja said:
Yeah I like to know as well, not one site reported Framerate drop.Nopt 1up, not gamespot, not IGN, no one

Woah their hoss! I'm not saying he's right. That's why I wanted to know if there had been other impressions posted. Sounds like he's mistaken.

Loudninja

jetjevons said:
Woah their hoss! I'm not saying he's right. That's why I wanted to know if there had been other impressions posted. Sounds like he's mistaken.

Woah dude, sorry if I came off the wrong way :lol :D

Marconelly said:
As far as impressions go, Kotaku guy also said the game's the real deal, but not much more than that.

What does it mean that cinematics are overblown? Like the lighting in them has too much bloom, or there's too many cinematics?

Someone that was playing through it said the cutscenes frequent early on.

Varth

jetjevons said:

Actually I think it's something that comes from the different nature of the games. In GOW you feel like you're shooting with a SPAS12 even with the lowest pea-shooter, due to the effect it has on impact, the close quarter nature of combat and the intentional exageration in sound effects.
UDF has you fighting most of the time with a lowly gun that has quite a realistic effect, keeping a greater distance from enemies, constantly changing position to avoid being overwhelmed. You feel as if you're constantly about to be fucked, not like a tank that can (and should) go face to face with his enemy to feel the blood splat on his face. I would be surprised if it felt visceral in the same way GOW does. Mind you, it *is* visceral. It's just a different *quality* of "visceral".
Let me say that UDF has some of the best enemies I've seen in this gen. They move, they flank, they jump over walls and off ledges to stay on your ass. Kudos to the ND guys. My only complaints about them are the occasional moments of idiocy with grenades and the fact they sometimes start shooting BEFORE you even show up.

Loudninja

Varth said:
Actually I think it's something that comes from the different nature of the games. In GOW you feel like you're shooting with a SPAS12 even with the lowest pea-shooter, due to the effect it has on impact, the close quarter nature of combat and the intentional exageration in sound effects.
UDF has you fighting most of the time with a lowly gun that has quite a realistic effect, keeping a greater distance from enemies, constantly changing position to avoid being overwhelmed. You feel as if you're constantly about to be fucked, not like a tank that can (and should) go face to face with his enemy to feel the blood splat on his face. I would be surprised if it felt visceral in the same way GOW does. Mind you, it is. It's just a different quality of "visceral".
Let me say that UDF has some of the best enemies I've seen in this gen. They move, they flank, they jump over walls and off ledges to stay on your ass. Kudos to the ND guys. My only complaints about them are the occasional moments of idiocy with grenades and the fact they sometimes start shooting BEFORE you even show up.

Cool, thanks for that

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Varth said:
UDF has you fighting most of the time with a lowly gun that has quite a realistic effect, keeping a greater distance from enemies, constantly changing position to avoid being overwhelmed. You feel as if you're constantly about to be fucked, not like a tank that can (and should) go face to face with his enemy to feel the blood splat on his face. I would be surprised if it felt visceral in the same way GOW does. Mind you, it *is* visceral. It's just a different *quality* of "visceral".

Freaking nice love when enemies actually try to push you to become better in that way instead of being cheep mofos from hell. That why I liked Resistance alot with their enemies A.I.

J-Rzez

Dante said:
And Elena in her skin tight Otssel wetsuit. :D

School girl uniform please...

And once again, thank god the guns aren't over done... Sick of the unrealistic representation of that stuff...

VonGak!

Banned
jetjevons said:

Sorry but your friend seems to be on a serious fishing trip

"It looks an acts like Gears of War, but lacks the visceral feel."

The shootout chapters I have seen there's a ton of gun spraying, great explosions (barrels all over the place to ensure this), cliff hanger platforming and freedom of movement. All enforced by comments constantly thrown out by Nathan, Elena, the pirates and all the other characters combining the action not forgetting the facial expressions and animations.

And sorry to say this but who by their full five can claim that hand to hand fighting isn't visceral?

Perhaps it's not as visceral as GeoW but it sure is top notch compared to other games (unless he also thinks the shooting is less visceral than in MGS, Halo and HalfLife).

"he claims the FPS is shaky"

Now this is one of the things one can't observe from game-play videos but there are other hands on previews disagreeing with him... But I prefer to compare these impressions with game-play videos from the reviewer. :D

"the cinematics are overblown"

Can't be talking about the 4 cut-scenes made public ^.^ On the other hand there is people out the who dislike the Indy movies though they are hardly the target group for this game and they must really hate cut-scenes in all games (can't call these 4 cut-scenes overblown and then hype something from TR, Halo, MGS, FF,..).

"the graphics feel too plasticky"

Now I would have understood him if he called the graphics cartoonish because that's what ND is aiming for with the saturated colours, slightly over the top facial animations, mushroom explosions, over the top death animations, extra blue sky, extra clear water... I mean as a reporter it can't have slipped him that ND said they wanted to keep the certain ND feel or that feel could be cartoonish considering they made Jak and Crash in the past.

Sounds like he's not the staffer who's most qualified to cover this certain game (just like I'd never trust a MGS review to someone who finds Halo's plot deep and compelling). I just hope he'll back up the claims of his with some sane reasoning contrair to the usual suspects who failed that part and stayed vague. ^.^

Had to let out some steam.

Loudninja

J-Rzez said:
School girl uniform please...

And once again, thank god the guns aren't over done... Sick of the unrealistic representation of that stuff...

I want a gun that shoots barrels :(, or a Gun that shoot pistols

VonGak!

Banned
Varth said:

Just like the shooting in the Indy movies is less visceral than in Saving Private Ryan yet more engrossing?

Madman

jetjevons said:
I've heard nothing about framerate problems. And someone else said that they felt the guns and combat felt excellent.

As a side note, I'm really thinking about importing a DS3 for Uncharted. How would I go about doing that?

Top Bottom