• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users.

But Lucas’s physical combat style is quite different. By which I mean he doesn’t have the same standard moves.
Finally, confirmation.

Edit: Wait a second. That wording is just tricky enough that I'm not sure what it's confirmation of. :(

There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users.

But Lucas’s physical combat style is quite different. By which I mean he doesn’t have the same standard moves.

lucas_071108a-l.jpg

His strong up attack is a mentally-powered flip kick.

lucas_071108b-l.jpg

He unleashes a PK barrage on the ground with his down smash!

lucas_071108c-l.jpg

The finish of his back air attack is a meteor smash.

lucas_071108d-l.jpg

Oh! Is he grabbing the edge with his rope snake?!

Side Special Move: PK Fire

This is also quite different from Ness’s.

lucas_071108e-l.jpg

It flies perfectly sideways, even in the air.

lucas_071108f-l.jpg

The flame pillar explodes!

Standard Special Move: PK Freeze

lucas_071108g-l.jpg

If you charge it up and control it...

lucas_071108h-l.jpg

...you can freeze your opponents!

And even more threatening is his PK Thunder. For those of you unfamiliar with the last game, or the one before that, remember this well.

Up Special Move: PK Thunder

lucas_071108i-l.jpg

You guide the PK Thunder with the Control Stick...

lucas_071108j-l.jpg

...and hit yourself with it to launch!

Doing this helps you recover.

The angle you launch at depends upon the position at which the PK Thunder hits you. This launch also makes for a rather powerful attack, so I think it’s fine to even try it unexpectedly.

Down Special Move: PSI Magnet

This move absorbs the energy of projectile and other attacks and uses it to recover Lucas’s damage. It has a wide range of effectiveness, so give it a try when you get the chance.

lucas_071108j-l.jpg

If an enemy uses a projectile, that’s your chance.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck! Ness gone confirmed?? (not really confirmed but certainly a nail in the proverbial coffin)

:(( sad panda

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Lucas is NOT a Ness clone. He lacks PK Flash (instead possessing the incredible PK Freeze), his PK Fire move works differently, and his A moves are different.

Ness MUST still be in.

so, essentially

the main differences in specials are that PK Fire is a horizontal attack isntead of a leaving a flame and he has a freezing attack replacing the old B move.

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
Either clones confirmed or bye bye Ness.
This'll be interesting.

*Sigh*

The A moves are different. Ness doesn't have a rope snake. Lucas doesn't have PK Flash and Ness lacks PK Freeze. The PK Fire mechanics for Lucas are different than for Ness.

Lucas is Ness's equivalent to Luigi, NOT a clone.

Zeed

Banned
Linkzg said:
so, essentially

the main differences in specials are that PK Fire is a horizontal attack isntead of a leaving a flame and he has a freezing attack replacing the old B move.
Not to mention a completely unique A moveset.

But that wording..."up until now"...it sounds like Ness is out, but there's just enough leeway there for interpretation.

Jiggy

I don't see why some of you are freaking out over this--Ness should still be in. Someone has to represent the yo-yo attacks, and why would they throw away some unique moves that were already created?

Zeed

Banned
Somnid said:
Lucas : Ness :: Luigi : Mario
It's more complicated than that though. We KNOW that Sakurai originally planned in Melee to axe Ness and add Lucas. That's precedent right there.

scottnak

I think what the people are getting at is this tidbit:

Malfunky

"There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now"

I think some folks are just going to have to accept that Lucas is an updated replacement.

Kelsonk said:
Ness is gone confirmed.

Negative Megaton confirmed.

Worst update ever confirmed.

I thought it was confirmed that all of the original characters were going to return? If that's the case, then several of the other characters that were in the first game and haven't been announced yet are huge question marks at this point.

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:
*Sigh*

The A moves are different. Ness doesn't have a rope snake. Lucas doesn't have PK Flash and Ness lacks PK Freeze. The PK Fire mechanics for Lucas are different than for Ness.

Lucas is Ness's equivalent to Luigi, NOT a clone.

I don't think you understand my stance on clones. I like them. And I don't care what I call clones. It's just a term that's thrown around.

Iam Canadian

Zeed said:
It's more complicated than that though. We KNOW that Sakurai originally planned in Melee to axe Ness and add Lucas. That's precedent right there.

But Lucas isn't a straight replacement, though. Lucas differs from Ness in many key ways. Calling him a carbon copy of Ness is as untrue as calling Luigi a Mario clone.

Besides, in this game where Sakurai is cramming in everything and anything, why would he drop an established and unique character?

I'm pretty sure Ness will be returning. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Ness was unlockable through Lucas (perhaps defeating Classic mode with Lucas).

At least, that's the feeling I get with this update, otherwise, why all the comparisons?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Wow, this really makes it seem like Ness is cut. I'm really surprised they'd drop someone from the original roster :O From the glimpses we saw of Lucas (rope snake, etc) I really thought he'd end up like Ness' Luigi, but instead it looks like Lucas is just Ness' replacement with the upgrades/alterations he would have received if he stayed. (The same upgrades alterations the other vets have gotten... see Link's new moves, or Mario's FLUDD)

perfectchaos007 said:
Yeah that 2 month delay is causing Sakrai to streeeeetch out these updates.

I disagree. We got stand-alone special move updates way before the delay. Take a look at all the updates over the past two months (the developers would have known about the delay that far back I'm sure)... we've had TONS of awesome ones, and plenty of double updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom