• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pureauthor said:
If Mega Man X4 is your candidate for 'best Mega Man game on anything', then you have terrible taste. It's not even the best Mega Man X game for the Playstation, dude. X5 was way better.

I dunno, I think X4 feels more like X1, maybe that's why it's more memorable to some people (myself included). I've played X5, but am in no position to argue about it because I don't really remember it. I guess I should play through it again.
Too bad those are a bit slow, I like how the Zero series is faster-paced.

Anyway, if Mega Man is in, the music selection is going to be the cause of a lot of frustration. So many awesome tunes to choose from. MMX Central Highway is a must though.

SuperAngelo64 said:
I also think it's kind've funny how this Megaman debate is going on in a thread for a game he probably won't even be in at all.

Say it isn't so. He's one of two potential factors that must be fulfilled before I buy Smash Brawl, and as far as I can tell, he's the more likely one. Oh, well.

Anyway, if Mega Man is in, the music selection is going to be the cause of a lot of frustration. So many awesome tunes to choose from. MMX Central Highway is a must though.

Everyone and their mother will want MM2 Dr. Wily Stage 1. If Mega Man gets in, and that doesn't, something is off.

Pureauthor said:
Everyone and their mother will want MM2 Dr. Wily Stage 1. If Mega Man gets in, and that doesn't, something is off.

Bramble Blast seems to be an indication that Sakurai is aware of which songs are popular to some extent... that or it merely happened to be one of the composers' favorite ones. :/

Pureauthor said:
Say it isn't so. He's one of two potential factors that must be fulfilled before I buy Smash Brawl, and as far as I can tell, he's the more likely one. Oh, well.

The other factor being?

I personally would want the intro Museum song from Rockman and Forte, or the Tenguman song from the same game (Tenguman's stage theme from Rockman and Forte is significantly better than his stage theme in MM8). But I'm just a sucker for that jazzy sound
unfortunately not alot've gamers are :[

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would personally want a bunch of stuff from older Mega Man games, such as Mega Man 1-6, or MMX 1-4. That way you still tug the nostalgia strings.

Having stuff from newer games would be kinda stupid.

thetrin said:
Having stuff from newer games would be kinda stupid.

Well, for example the New Super Mario Bros theme is in. I think it's a good idea to have music from every period and not just go for the oldies, that way even someone who got into a series with one of the latest installments can find in Brawl something related to his own experience with said series.
A few MMZ or even ZX tunes would be worth it (Opening stage from MMZ 2, main theme from ZX).

Jiggy

laesperanzapaz said:
wow i check this thread out for some latest posts, and i see full of douche fucking shitty complaints here. can you guys accept the fact that you won't always get a fucking megaton? it's pretty sad to see you guys refresh constantly, and just post 'BOO LAMETON UPDATEZZZZ'
In our defense, October really set us (or at least our expectations) up the bomb with awesomeness at every turn. >_> Although, I don't really vocally complain that much anyway, but just saying...

October 1st - Lucas
October 2nd - Snake movie, Shadow Moses Island, codec conversations
October 5th - Co-op adventure mode
October 9th - Ashley's theme (and Kirby's final smash, but eh)
October 10th - Sonic, Sonic movie, conference movie
October 12th - Taking snapshots
October 15th - New Pork City
October 16th - Homerun Contest now online
October 22nd - PictoChat
October 24th - Replays, Target Smash
October 25th - King Dedede
October 29th - Stage Builder
October 31st - The Summit

As for this month?

Meta Knight's final smash, on-screen appearances, Fox's Misfortune + Fire Emblem theme, items from previous installments, Gray Fox assist, grab and throw, Lucas' moves, Norfair, Ike's final smash, and taunts.

The only day I'd call on par with the good stuff from October was the Fox movie and Fire Emblem theme double update, which is troubling when we're almost halfway through November. Norfair's also pretty cool, but as far as stages go it doesn't compare to getting any of the four completely new stage updates from October.

Edit: Actually, I guess it's not fair to say we're almost halfway through November. In terms of days, sure, 13 out of 30, but in terms of update days we've only had 9 out of 22.

Pureauthor said:
Oh, I mentioned it before:

Playable Franz and Amelia team for Brawl.
What about playable Ouendan?

Duderz

Banned
I'd agree that if Mega Man is in the game in any capacity, November 18th at this 20th Anniversary is where we'd hear about it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I don't know. I'm probably a bigger Mega Man fan than the rest of you put together, but I'm starting to doubt if he'll be in. I say that if that 20th anniversary thing goes by without Mega Man being revealed, he's probably not in.

Oh, and Mega Man X4 is the best PS1 Mega Man game. FACT.

Mega Man 3, Mega Man X, and Mega Man 2 are the best overall.

And Mega Man X6 was just a horrible insult.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Iam Canadian said:
I don't know. I'm probably a bigger Mega Man fan than the rest of you put together, but I'm starting to doubt if he'll be in. I say that if that 20th anniversary thing goes by without Mega Man being revealed, he's probably not in.

Oh, and Mega Man X4 is the best PS1 Mega Man game. FACT.

Mega Man 3, Mega Man X, and Mega Man 2 are the best overall.

And Mega Man X6 was just a horrible insult.
Maverick Hunter X >>> all.

jman2050

Shig said:
Maverick Hunter X >>> all.

Powered Up was far better than MHX. MHX is still awesome though.

Also, X4 > *, but I do have a soft spot for X8 seeing as in my eyes it pretty much redeemed the entire series.

Baryn

Banned
BocoDragon said:
WHERES MEGAMAN????
mario.png

Iam Canadian

Maverick Hunter X wasn't anything too special. The voice-acting and slightly tweaked level designs were nice, but there wasn't anything too new and I think the Mavericks had much worse designs.

Being able to play as Vile was nice, though. However, Mega Man: Powered Up was infinitely, infinitely better than Maverick Hunter X. That game was simply a Mega Man fan's dream: Construction Mode, being able to play as the Robot Masters, Proto Man, and Roll, and even two entirely new Robot Masters.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I think this update is perhaps the best one we have received this month!

At least to me...

I mean really who isn't going to write some of the wittiest taunts for their favorite characters? :D

MrNibbles

Banned
Mega Man 2 is where it's at.
Anything made after Mega Man X is trash.

I would not be able to stand all the fanboys crying for Zero or Roll as clones/assist trophies if Mega Man was in. (Or any of the other anime loli sonic and friends style abortions of characters that are in the games now.)

Mega Man won't be in Brawl.
Mega Man should not be in Brawl.

I can't wait for 1 week after release, when the gamefaqs forums are filled with bullshit threads about how to unlock Mega Man and other random 3rd party characters that didn't make the cut.

Call me when Capcom nukes the Mega Man universe and only Dr. Light, Dr. Wily, Mega Man, Proto Man, Rush, and maybe Roll, survive, in non-anime form.

NeonZ

Call me when Capcom nukes the Mega Man universe and only Dr. Light, Dr. Wily, Mega Man, Proto Man, Rush, and maybe Roll, survive, in non-anime form.

So... you don't like their original designs...?

Should they receive realistic designs now?

Iam Canadian

MrNibbles said:
Mega Man 2 is where it's at.
Anything made after Mega Man X is trash.

I would not be able to stand all the fanboys crying for Zero or Roll as clones/assist trophies if Mega Man was in. (Or any of the other anime loli sonic and friends style abortions of characters that are in the games now.)

Mega Man won't be in Brawl.
Mega Man should not be in Brawl.

I can't wait for 1 week after release, when the gamefaqs forums are filled with bullshit threads about how to unlock Mega Man and other random 3rd party characters that didn't make the cut.

The Battle Network and Star Force games are (arguably) trash, but the Mega Man X games up until X6 are all pretty good. The Zero games are highly underrated (though not as good as the originals or X) and even ZX is good fun.

Just because some members of Mega Man's fanbase are obnoxious doesn't mean he shouldn't be in Brawl. I mean, Sonic got in.

Oh, and the Mega Man characters have always been in anime form. Unless you prefer this.

250px-MegamanBox.jpg

Lab.JPG

Jiggy

MrNibbles said:
I would not be able to stand all the fanboys crying for Zero or Roll as clones/assist trophies if Mega Man was in.
I'll make a mental note to beg for Roll after Mega Man's revealed. :D

MrNibbles

Banned
Mega Man 1-4 were not anime style, and you know it.

Compare character designs and story from 1-4 to Starforce, Battle Network, Legends, ZX, and to a lesser extent X, to the first 4 games. There is no way you can honestly say that the older games are the same style as the newer games.
No. Way.

Ryusei-cast.jpg

Mega Man Starforce artwork. 100% deformed anime style.

Chaud28.jpg

Enzan from Battle Network. 100% anime style, slightly less deformed anime style.

Rockcaskett02.jpg

The abortion of a design for Mega Man in the Legends games.

Megamanlegends1.jpg

Promo artwork for Legends.

Prairie1.jpg

Prarie from ZX.

Sigma_mhx.jpg

Sigma from later on in the X Series (Maverick Hunter).

200px-X_mmmhx.jpg

Mega Man from Mega Man X.

Rockman_Japan.jpg

The Japanese box art for the original game. Cartoony, yes. Anime, kinda.
But in game, character designs were about 1000 times less ridiculous that what they are today. They actually looked like robots. The story wasn't super retarded either.

Now when I pick up a Mega Man game I feel the same sadness I feel when I pick up a modern Castlevania game. It's disgusting.

Zeed

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
SuperAngelo really does like to turn minor arguments into major ones.

...Or maybe mole hill into a mountain would roll off the tongue better?
I don't recall SuperAngelo being the one who got banned for having a meltdown in this thread.

Zeed said:
I don't recall SuperAngelo being the one who got banned for having a meltdown in this thread.

I got banned for calling you a tard

(so in all likelyhood, you probably cried to an admin because you got tired of looking like the troll that's derailing the thread - which you look like in almost every argument in this thread, since you're the one who makes it shit almost every time)

Zeed

Banned
I got banned for calling you a tard

(so in all likelyhood, you probably cried to an admin because you got tired of looking like the troll that's derailing the thread - which you look like in almost every argument in this thread, since you're the one who makes it shit almost every time)
So, out of curiosity, how did you get your name and tag?

Myke Greywolf said:
It's all about the visor.
It's also about the pose and the flames. Like Somnid said, that shit has to be intentional.

Zeed said:
So, out of curiosity, how did you get your name and tag?

It's also about the pose and the flames. Like Somnid said, that shit has to be intentional.

I commented that CVX has a swear word in his name back when swear words were banned

Iam Canadian

I'll give you that the story has become ridiculous. It should never have become more complicated than "Dr. Wily is up to his old tricks again! Stop him!". And the Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force art-style is unappealing.

But honestly, I like the X and Zero series character designs. Not as much as the bug-eyed, cutesy robots of the original series, but I don't hate the X and Zero designs. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

The classic designs were modeled after older animes like Astro Boy. The newer designs are just a more modern take.

SuperAngelo really does like to turn minor arguments into major ones.

...Or maybe mole hill into a mountain would roll off the tongue better?

A Link to the Snitch really does like to [Deleted by Moderators]

NeonZ

But in game, character designs were about 1000 times less ridiculous that what they are today. They actually looked like robots. The story wasn't super retarded either.

Classic Megaman was just Astroboy with a helmet and blue overalls, rather than skin, hair and trunks. That's clearly anime.

"In-game", Megaman's design originally looked almost SD, that's much more ridiculous than any of the later ones (besides the actual SD stuff from the PSP remake). "Looking more like robots"? Have you seen Elecman, Fireman or Iceman? Only Gustman and Bombman really looked mechanical.

Crocodile

MrNibbles said:
Several Posts filled with LULZ

I find it hilarious that you decry later Mega Man art styles as "animu" yet you hold the classic to some high standard. Ever seen Astro Boy or any of the really old animes from that time period? Classic Mega Man is just as "animu" as the newer designs. Not to mention X, Z and ZX series artwork does a much better job as portraying them as actual robots with much greater detail among other benefits. EXE may have a generic tone but you can also certainly describe the Classic series as generic relative to it's source influences. They look more like dudes in suits than robots. Later artwork in the Classic Mega Man do a much better job presenting them as robots. I don't know how you can use generic to possible describe X, Z or ZX (especially Z and ZX) though. You may prefer the old designs but respect and accept that each series has unique, worthwhile art styles. This is a lateral movement, not some whole scale downgrade ala Kojima's art to whoever they used for the DS games.

Furthermore, whatever dis-satisfaction you may have with the Mega Man series does nothing to diminish his value as an addition to this game as well as how worthy he is of a spot.

Jiggy

I must admit, watching people debate about Mega Man art styles is a bit more entertaining than talking about lame updates.

Personally, I prefer the X style of things. And not surprisingly, I found X4 to be the height of the series. It was just all down hill from there. Speaking of which, should Mega Man be in the game, I'll probably give a quick run through of X1-4 in his honor.

Jiggy

Predicting either Captain Falcon or Jigglypuff tonight. I forget which of them I predicted last time, so whichever one it wasn't. >_> I think that would be Captain Falcon.

What's that you say? My pronouns are confusing and you're not sure whether I'm saying I predicted Captain Falcon last time or didn't? Well, good, because that means I get credit no matter which of the two it is. :D

Jiggy37 said:
Predicting either Captain Falcon or Jigglypuff tonight. I forget which of them I predicted last time, so whichever one it wasn't. >_> I think that would be Captain Falcon.

What's that you say? My pronouns are confusing and you're not sure whether I'm saying I predicted Captain Falcon last time or didn't? Well, good, because that means I get credit no matter which of the two it is. :D

Personally, I don't expect Jiggly to be unlocked.

I think we will see a couple unlockables unlocked by default this time around, like maybe Ganondorf, Falco, or Mr. Game & Watch.

Insaniac

by now i'd expect c. falcon, jiggly, ganondorf to not be revealed cause they'll be unlockable.

Anyways, I predict a character again.

Twig

Banned
MrNibbles said:
Rockman_Japan.jpg

Now when I pick up a Mega Man game I feel the same sadness I feel when I pick up a modern Castlevania game. It's disgusting.
I think it qualifies as anime.

f_astroboym_29bd4ce.jpg

Mostly because to the Japanese, anime is pretty much anything animated. But also because of the slight similarities seen above!

Though I can certainly see why you would believe otherwise. It's certainly not the stereotypical anime style, heh!

MrNibbles said:
Mega Man 1-4 were not anime style, and you know it.

Compare character designs and story from 1-4 to Starforce, Battle Network, Legends, ZX, and to a lesser extent X, to the first 4 games. There is no way you can honestly say that the older games are the same style as the newer games.
No. Way.

Yes, because this:

mm2-matasaburo.jpg

Looks much more like a robot than this:

normal_lurerre_the_abysroid.jpg

:D

Jiggy

I also think Captain Falcon will be default, while Luigi and Jigglypuff stay unlockable.

As for others... I'm not sure about Ness, but I'd lean toward default, and same goes for Ganondorf. For Marth and Mr. Game & Watch I lean toward unlockable. Falco I waver on, Young Link to be unlockable if he's back as WW Link.

Edit: What, more art style posts came in while I was writing. >_>

Iam Canadian

Ness (yeah, yeah, BELIEVE) will probably be default, simply because he was default in Melee.

I'd suggest that Jigglypuff gets bumped to default status, but seeing as she's basically been the first unlockable to be unlocked in the previous two games, I'd say she'll stay unlockable for the sake of tradition.

The Captain will probably be the same as Ness. Luigi could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom