• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No girly-men allowed: Official Contra 4 shut-up-and-shoot Thread

JSnake

evilromero said:
They require different abilities. Mario is all about precision jumping. Contra is definitely about avoidence and reflex.

Okay.. for reference.. I can't beat the first level in Contra 3.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
ThirstyFly said:
So I'm hearing the game doesn't have the option to lock your firing direction and keep moving like in Shattered Soldier? Just the option to hold yourself in place and fire in any of the 8 directions? I'm not liking that :(

I thought it'd be a problem too, because I REALLY like that ability, but once I got into it, it never really proved to be a problem. I guess it's just the flow of the enemies and the way the bosses are designed.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
JSnake said:
Am I too weaksauce for this game? I just ordered it, but am I wasting my money? For reference, I've never completed the original Super Mario Bros. And I have tried.
I've never been able to finish SMB 1 either, but i beat Contra IV on easy AND opened up both Contra 1 and Super C. So I seriously suggest you try it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Joseph Merrick said:
I love everything about this game

..except the actual game. There's something wrong with the hit detection and how the enemies react to getting shot/killed. The game sucks. I hate it.
Careful there, loosus may end up with company on that pansy list. ;)

discoalucard said:
I thought it'd be a problem too, because I REALLY like that ability, but once I got into it, it never really proved to be a problem. I guess it's just the flow of the enemies and the way the bosses are designed.

That's good to hear. I can't even imagine doing some of the Shattered Soldier bosses without it, but like you said about C4, that's the way the game was designed.

I do miss it whenever I go back to Contra 3 though.

XiaNaphryz said:

lyre said:
----------------------
Hairless, Yellow Pansies
----------------------

* loosus
* Joseph Merrick

Too late for him.

Anyway, some of the other challange unlockables have been revealed.

Beat 4 challenges: NES Contra
Beat 8 challenges: NES Super C
Beat 12 challenges: Probotector character
Beat 16 challenges: Nobuya Nakazato interview (text only)
Beat 20 challenges: Lucia character (from Shattered Soilder)
Beat 24 challenges: Contra III comic
Beat 28 challenges and you unlock Sheena Etranzi (from Hard Corps)

Question, will you feel manly when playing a chick with machine guns?

radjago said:
I'm confused. Is the 20th Anniversary a special edition of the game?

This game was made to celebrate the 20th Anniversary. No special edition whatsoever.

Vrolokus

Banned
Jesus, this took some finding. Gamecrazy was sold out, Best Buy told me they had four copies with a "hard" street date of the 20th, Circuit City didn't have any yet and the guy at Target confieded "we get new releases a week after everyone else."

Finally I just stopped at Gamestop, knowing they'd probably blow me off with the "did you preorder?" rap (at least they have magazine racks to dump). Lo and behold they had one, and they sold it to me no questions asked.

Charging the DS now. I hope all the hunting I did will persuade the MAN GODS to smile on me as I make the pilgrimage through their MAN GAME.

thefro

JSnake said:
Am I too weaksauce for this game? I just ordered it, but am I wasting my money? For reference, I've never completed the original Super Mario Bros. And I have tried.

Have you beat the original contra with the Konami code? Then you should be able to beat easy mode and work your way up from there.

DiddyBop

this game is pretty good so far. its hard, but not to the point where i get stuck and frustrated. you have to die a few times befroe you figure things out and progress. I love the overall old school gaming feel of the game,more DS games should be like this.

JRPereira

The game should arrive for me sometime tomorrow. Having beat super c and contra 3 on a single continue (particularly contra 3 on hard on a single continue) and having beaten contra without using the konami code, the game shouldn't be too terribly hard.

Then again, I'm getting old 8(

When I was younger I was able to play chip 'n' dale's rescue rangers the entire way through for two players on a single life (carrying player 2).

I'm glad that it isn't so memorization-heavy. Shattered soldier's memorization requirement, mechanical animations even for organic enemies, and lack of heart pounding arcade action music really dulled what could've been a great game.

XiaNaphryz said:
Eh, the comment wasn't about the difficulty of the game--I'm talking about the feel of it. Don't get me wrong, the game's pretty hard.. but not too bad. Getting along fine on 'normal'. Seem to be a discrepancy between where bullets can hit you and where you can run into stuff aswell--and where bullets can hit you when you're laying down.

SSnake

So i got to stage 8 on normal and ran out of continues, oh so close...

Anyway, level two crusher missile = super fast boss death

Oh yeah, the instructions are hilarious

stuminus3

Apparently Canada should be in the Hairless, Yellow Pansies list. Many trusty retailers around the Toronto area telling me the game is not out yet and won't be till next week. What's up, Canada... ya chicken?

Spike

stuminus3 said:
Apparently Canada should be in the Hairless, Yellow Pansies list. Many trusty retailers around the Toronto area telling me the game is not out yet and won't be till next week. What's up, Canada... ya chicken?

My EB told me it will be in tomorrow.

ghibli99

JRPereira said:
Jesus christ, I could beat that level blind.
I used to be able to one-life C3 back around 92/93, when it first came out. I thought it was a pretty easy game back then, even though I died a lot learning enemy patterns and how to get around some of the levels. When I played this again last year on my SNES, I pretty much got owned by level 3, dying several times on level 1. It was weird. It made me wonder about how much of it was memorization that I had forgotten or whether my skills had diminished. Probably a little of both. Plus, playing games on bigger screens is actually harder for me. I'm thinking of investing in a smaller TV for my old systems.

stuminus3 said:

Try Gamecentre. Yonge/Charles.

Sanjuro

I pre-ordered a copy at my work (Gamecrazy). But to feel even more like a manly retro-man I had to go old school to Toy's R' Us pick up Super Mario Galaxy and use the free $25 gift card on Contra 4.

This game is beautiful. It plays well and does a great job of making a traditional Contra game and not make it feel ancient but keep the premise simple enough and fun.

Sanjuro

the year 20XX said:
Holy fuck, this game is awesome. And officially too hard for me, but so awesome that I DON'T CARE
Contra should be officially too hard for everyone. The only people who can beat it casually with extra lives are the type who bathe with a stainless steel sponge in place of a loofah to penetrate their manly thick body hair.

Fantasmo

Coming from a Contra 3 expert, I definitely acknowledge the 2 major complaints people have with the game and they definitely have a point, well at least somewhat:

1) I noticed the large midboss on Stage 4 seems to have a wide range of attack, wider than his sprite, basically you can die without the arm actually hitting you.

2) The split between the screens being a nuisance. I have to zone out and use my peripheral vision in order to see exactly which bullets are coming and from where.

Nothing a little practice can't fix though.

And definitely nothing that would make this game worth passing up.

Definitely the most fun I've had with DS since I got it!

Bebpo

Banned
My game just froze. Ran out of lives, faded black. Music is still playing. Both screens are black. Wanted to continue and keep playing, not restart all over...

...not so sure how I feel about these new devs...

usea

Bebpo said:
My game just froze. Ran out of lives, faded black. Music is still playing. Both screens are black. Wanted to continue and keep playing, not restart all over...

...not so sure how I feel about these new devs...
The game detected an anomaly and shut down. Were you watching a cooking or decorating show on television? Is your hair styled? We need more details.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
usea said:
The game detected an anomaly and shut down. Were you watching a cooking or decorating show on television? Is your hair styled? We need more details.
:lol :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, stage 4 rocks. I'm still not entirely sold on the game, but stage 4 really felt like good Contra. The boss (at least I think that was the boss) was awesome. The screen split made his claw punch attack kinda iffy though, not really sure on the framing of that attack. Is there any way to get up the rail faster when he drops down to punch?

So far IMHO:
Stage 1 = enjoyable mix of old and new
Stage 2 first half = not a fan of the alien vent idea. 2nd half = good, boss = oh shit
Stage 3 = cute throwback, but not that great. Hard to judge bullet height/distance.
Stage 4 = yes

this game is pretty hard, im gonna have to play it on normal first.

I mean, last portable game I played was DXC and that was quite easy, this is just tough.

Fantasmo

There are nearly 3000 members viewing and there's less than 200 posts in this thread? I know it's a little soon but wtf, THIS IS CONTRA PEOPLE, you grew up on this shit!

This isn't nostalgia talking, Contra 4 is Balls to the Wall Action, buy the fucking game!

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I miss from modern Contra is that in SS was I swear you could hold a trigger that would lock you in place so when you press df/db/uf/ub you wouldn't move. There's a few spots where that'd be pretty helpful here :p

Aeana

Bebpo said:
One thing I miss from modern Contra is that in SS was I swear you could hold a trigger that would lock you in place so when you press df/db/uf/ub you wouldn't move. There's a few spots where that'd be pretty helpful here :p

Try holding the R button.

junkster said:
There are nearly 3000 members viewing and there's less than 200 posts in this thread? I know it's a little soon but wtf, THIS IS CONTRA PEOPLE, you grew up on this shit!

This isn't nostalgia talking, Contra 4 is Balls to the Wall Action, buy the fucking game!
I live in Australia :(

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Challenge Mode is the greatest thing to happen to Contra.

(would have been perfect with high scores and an online scoreboard.)

lyre

sykoex said:
Challenge Mode is the greatest thing to happen to Contra.

(would have been perfect with high scores and an online scoreboard.)

Every game could benefit from 'play-in-short-bursts' puzzle or challenge mode. Whether it be Planet Puzzle League puzzles, Contra 4 challenges, or Donkey Kong 94 style stuff.

Though I disagree and say not having the franchise die is the greatest thing to happen to Contra. :p

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Bebpo said:
Ah, good times.

How do you unlock challenge mode?
Beat the game on any difficulty. (I did it on easy :p)

Edit: Also completing challenges is the key to unlocking secrets in the game like Contra 1, Super C, and other stuff.

Bebpo

Banned
sykoex said:
Beat the game on any difficulty. (I did it on easy :p)

Edit: Also completing challenges is the key to unlocking secrets in the game like Contra 1, Super C, and other stuff.

Any tips for surviving the
rockets falling from the sky while the rocket you are on keeps tilting and you jump from lever to lever while shooting the mini-rocks? I suck at the jumping here and just fall to my death a lot. >_<

Also, how many stages are there?

Narag

Bebpo said:
Also, how many stages are there?

This game is so awesome It beats the hell out of me and I just tell the neighbors everything is ok at home, I just fell.
Its has also left me giggling at ingame set pieces like I haven't since the original MGS. It took me a couple of continues to get up that waterfall on my first playthrough but I figured that's ok.
Ok, just need to kill the last two dudes in black. One down HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT
:lol

There's quite an accomplishment in the Shacknews review - they (or Chris, rather) were able to convey game mechanics, background and provide just about everything you need to form your own opinion without the need for an abstract scoring system and some drivel about how something doesn't toast bread or whatever to the reviewers' liking.

This game is hard, and I'm certain if it was possible, the game would pluck your hairs one by one with forceps.

Draft

Game is tits TITS I TELL YOU.

The split screen isn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be, and in fact they are doing some neat things with it, like the aliens coming out of the vents.

Top Bottom