• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
perfectchaos007 said:
Smash bros. 64 VC monday?

I Predict yes so Nintendo can say. "We promised you Smash bros. this year, and we give you Smash bros. this year."

Eh, it could happen, but I bet that it'll probably show up in February.

Along with Earthbound.

teddyboi said:
That doesn't prove anything. People who excel at sports games can compete with the worst teams. That doesn't make those teams any less bad.

Well I agree with you. If more balance means less sucky characters and better competition I'm all for that.

You are forgetting that this whole debate is centered around talented players using certain characters. So, I fail to see how your first statement disproves Angelo's. And sucky by your definition, for my play style there aren't any in Melee, some are unbalanced, but none are sucky.And that's because everyone of them is usable, and can be used well by a player that knows them.

I have a question for people who played both the original smash bros. for the N64 and the Smash Bros. Melee for the Gamecube. Am I in the minority if I loved Super Smash Bros., but not Super Smash Bros. Melee?

One of the things that I loved so much about Super Smash Bros. was that the sounds and the feel of attacking someone else felt solid, like I just whacked someone with a 2x4. There was a crispness to the attacks in the game. That crispness steadily built until final blows would send players flying off the screen.

I know the gameplay in Super Smash Bros. Melee still revolves around whittling down your opponents health until they are low, and then getting in a finishing blow for a knockout, but there isn't as much gratification in getting up to that point (for me anyway) like there was in the original N64 game.

When I played Super Smash Bros. Melee, everything sounded and felt like I was hitting people with a fluffy pillow. In fact, much of the time my friends and I would take the fan out of the multiplayer in super smash bros. because it just didn't feel good to hit people with. About the only satisfying part of using the fan in Super Smash Bros. was throwing it at other people. Because it was so useless that it was like insulting my friends to use on them. This problem completely ruined Super Smash Bros. Melee for me and I cannot play that game to this day.

From the videos, it appears that the next installment of the game will be more like Super Smash Bros. Melee, and that makes me sad.

I don't think I'm equipped to answer your question, but I know I loved Melee. But there is one thing I've learned about Smash is that there will always be something that you fall into the minority about. Sucks that it ruined the game for you, and I hope you like Brawl more.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Deputy Moonman said:
I have a question for people who played both the original smash bros. for the N64 and the Smash Bros. Melee for the Gamecube. Am I in the minority if I loved Super Smash Bros., but not Super Smash Bros. Melee?

One of the things that I loved so much about Super Smash Bros. was that the sounds and the feel of attacking someone else felt solid, like I just whacked someone with a 2x4. There was a crispness to the attacks in the game. That crispness steadily built until final blows would send players flying off the screen.

I know the gameplay in Super Smash Bros. Melee still revolves around whittling down your opponents health until they are low, and then getting in a finishing blow for a knockout, but there isn't as much gratification in getting up to that point (for me anyway) like there was in the original N64 game.

When I played Super Smash Bros. Melee, everything sounded and felt like I was hitting people with a fluffy pillow. In fact, much of the time my friends and I would take the fan out of the multiplayer in super smash bros. because it just didn't feel good to hit people with. About the only satisfying part of using the fan in Super Smash Bros. was throwing it at other people. Because it was so useless that it was like insulting my friends to use on them. This problem completely ruined Super Smash Bros. Melee for me and I cannot play that game to this day.

From the videos, it appears that the next installment of the game will be more like Super Smash Bros. Melee, and that makes me sad.

Well, in the videos on the site, the game appears more visceral and the collision sound effects definitely sound "harder".

teddyboi

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
Ok then I'll just rephrase myself and say "Ganondorf is a good character."

There? How's that?

Oh, and before you flatter yourself by thinking I'm trying to appease you; I'm not.

How is that response? Wrong. And you don't have to prove your manhood to me

crowphoenix said:
You are forgetting that this whole debate is centered around talented players using certain characters. So, I fail to see how your first statement disproves Angelo's. And sucky by your definition, for my play style there aren't any in Melee, some are unbalanced, but none are sucky.And that's because everyone of them is usable, and can be used well by a player that knows them.

Nah, that was your debate, not mine. I said some characters are just better than others in general.

I thought Mewtwo was rather sucky. Maybe that's just me. I also thought Kirby in Melee was pretty horrible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Iam Canadian said:
Well, in the videos on the site, the game appears more visceral and the collision sound effects definitely sound "harder".
I know what you mean about the harder sounds. They actually sound painful now. There will probably be some cringe inducing hits during matches.

teddyboi said:
How is that response? Wrong. And you don't have to prove your manhood to me.
Wait, are you saying Ganondorf is no good? He's not top tier material, but he's a lot faster than some people think.

teddyboi

Banned
Keru_Shiri said:
Wait, are you saying Ganondorf is no good? He's not top tier material, but he's a lot faster than some people think.

I'm saying he's average. He's not among the best in the game. I thought that was the general final word on Ganondorf.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
RoboPlato said:
I know what you mean about the harder sounds. They actually sound painful now. There will probably be some cringe inducing hits during matches.
A full blown knee to the face, tendons groaning and muscles shifting in the joint. Pikachu's teeth cracking and spewing out of his blood-flooded mouth. The clashing of bone and sinew. Rib cages cracked. Fists broken. Organs ruptured. Eyes detached. Foxes only. Items removed. Final Destination.

I wish they would make down stomps viable again like in the original smash. Fighting off the platform is just as fun as fighting on the platform.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Gully State said:
I wish they would make down stomps viable again like in the original smash. Fighting off the platform is just as fun as fighting on the platform.

You mean spikes...one of the most used KO methods in Melee?

PkunkFury

Deputy Moonman said:

I am the same way. My group of friends loved SSB64 (played thousands of hours I'm sure). When Melee came out, none of us could get into it. Onlylmyself and one other guy ended up liking it, but we had to train ourselves to switch over. One of my biggest complaints has always been that the attacks never felt as solid. The sounds are definitely a part of it, but I think Melee's extra speed adds to this feeling. Also, 64 may have had more freeze frames for hits, I'm sure someone could tell you for sure though, and I think 64 just handled collisions for attacks differently.

Some impressions from E for all said Brawl felt like a cross between 64 and Melee, so I'm hoping they brought back soem of the stuff i liked about 64. It's hard to put my finger on what was different, though.

Jiggy

Every video I've watched gives me the impression that they brought back the stronger N64 impact, personally. Which is good--that truly was the one thing I preferred about the first game.

The difference between the hit styles in SSB and SSBM was most evident with the down airs of Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Yoshi, where in the original as soon as one of the kicks connected the remaining others would basically be guaranteed to connect as well, while in SSBM the enemy could just kind of move out of it. Not as satisfying.

Snake's aerial double kick (used on Mario, IIRC) reminds me very much of those past down airs, in that it seemed to draw the opponent in rather than force them out (as opposed to something like SSBM Fox/Falco's triple aerial kick where the first kick would knock enemies out of range of the other two).

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Its great to see that hyrule temple will be in brawl; that was my favourite stage from Melee.

The other stages from melee that I really want to see in brawl is pokemon floats and fourside.

M3wThr33

Banned
PkunkFury said:
I am the same way. My group of friends loved SSB64 (played thousands of hours I'm sure). When Melee came out, none of us could get into it. Onlylmyself and one other guy ended up liking it, but we had to train ourselves to switch over. One of my biggest complaints has always been that the attacks never felt as solid. The sounds are definitely a part of it, but I think Melee's extra speed adds to this feeling. Also, 64 may have had more freeze frames for hits, I'm sure someone could tell you for sure though, and I think 64 just handled collisions for attacks differently.

Some impressions from E for all said Brawl felt like a cross between 64 and Melee, so I'm hoping they brought back soem of the stuff i liked about 64. It's hard to put my finger on what was different, though.

It was the opposite for me. I met a group at my college about 2 years after Melee came out. They played it WAY too god damn much. They still do. Every fucking friday. For the last 4 years. Religiously. But one time, I was with them when they had an N64 with the original. I kicked all of their asses. They stopped playing after I won a few in a row. And then ask me why I stop when I have no chance of winning against them in SSBM.

Firestorm said:
Oops. Forgot there's no update. I was F5ing.

I wish there was an update tonightm but no such luck. With how good my day was, I would be certain we'd get something that I'd hate, like my childhood memories crucified.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Insaniac said:
What would be awesome for a super mario galaxy level is a comet or planetoid that hurls through various galaxies, causing the gravity, hazards or play environment to change. Meanwhile we get the goodness of mario galaxy music from all different galaxies!

*drools*
That a pretty decent idea.

There are a lot of stages they could make in brawl that they could make using galaxy material. Here are a couple of idea's

-A space junk galaxy stage with one main platform and loads of random pieces around that platform that will join together to make a platform when someone jumps near it. It would be even better if they made the
yoshi head
planet as the main stage in space junk

-A matter splatter galaxy which would work exactly the same way as the matter splatter galaxy in galaxy.

-A stage where there is a moving platform that moves through a load of obstacles like in battlerock.

Gully State said:

ganondorf.jpg

CassSept said:
Nope. Ganondorf owns. Best char in SSBM.
And they shouldnt change his moves, but The Knee's moves <_<

No. You mess with the Falcon, you get the PUNCH. And then The Knee. Sakurai knows that.
I think the best option would be giving Brawl Ganondorf a new moveset, and making Black Shadow a clone of Melee Ganondorf.

Teasel

Holy Order Sol said:
No. You mess with the Falcon, you get the PUNCH. And then The Knee. Sakurai knows that.
I think the best option would be giving Brawl Ganondorf a new moveset, and making Black Shadow a clone of Melee Ganondorf.
and since ganondorf was a c.falcon clone wouldn't that make black shadow a c.falcon clone?

Insaniac said:
What would be awesome for a super mario galaxy level is a comet or planetoid that hurls through various galaxies, causing the gravity, hazards or play environment to change. Meanwhile we get the goodness of mario galaxy music from all different galaxies!

*drools*
That would be so f'n amazing. I'm sure Sakurai will acknowledge Galaxy in some way. How could he ignore one of the greatest games Nintendo has ever made? :D

Akai

CreatureX3 said:
That would be so f'n amazing. I'm sure Sakurai will acknowledge Galaxy in some way. How could he ignore one of the greatest games Nintendo has ever made? :D
I want a stage that takes place in one of those gravity arrow sections... =D

CreatureX3 said:
Yes, because game development is made of magic and Sakurai and Tokyo EAD exist in magic, time-free vacuums wherein they're not fussed by schedules or work or distance in any way whatsoever.

ShockingAlberto said:
Yes, because game development is made of magic and Sakurai and Tokyo EAD exist in magic, time-free vacuums wherein they're not fussed by schedules or work or distance in any way whatsoever.

Well, so far they haven't really disproved that, have they? Sakurai is Merlin?

crowphoenix said:
Well, so far they haven't really disproved that, have they? Sakurai is Merlin?
Sakurai has had to rush games before and work on a schedule. If not for Galaxy, I doubt they would have let him delay Brawl.

The point is, EAD Tokyo and Sakurai's team have both been working on two very labor-intensive games for the past two years. I doubt the two had time to share assets or what have you. I think everyone should temper their expectations on Mario Galaxy stuff - it would be nice if it's in, but it would not be surprising if it doesn't make it.

ShockingAlberto said:
Sakurai has had to rush games before and work on a schedule. If not for Galaxy, I doubt they would have let him delay Brawl.

The point is, EAD Tokyo and Sakurai's team have both been working on two very labor-intensive games for the past two years. I doubt the two had time to share assets or what have you. I think everyone should temper their expectations on Mario Galaxy stuff - it would be nice if it's in, but it would not be surprising if it doesn't make it.

Not arguing with you Alberto, just being a goof. :lol I don't know what we'll see in Brawl. I've been shocked so many times I've just given up on actually expecting anything.

Iam Canadian

ShockingAlberto said:

No, just Sakurai.

ShockingAlberto said:
...how much distance is between the smash team and galaxy team?

Also, we the public have known about galaxy for over a year. Sakurai actually works for nintendo, I'm sure he had access to whatever info he wanted. Also Im sure Nintendo wants galaxy stuff in the game, provides great promotion to those who already own and love mario

Jiggy

I don't think it would have been that hard for Sakurai to come in and watch some people playtesting Galaxy (whether for motion sickness or bugs or anything else) and draw some ideas out of that. It's not like Galaxy doesn't have about 91 good ideas worth exploring--just a few minutes of watching and you could grab something interesting out of it.

Matter Splatter or the form-as-you-go platforms in Space Junk Galaxy would be awesome.

Iam Canadian

Something like that one section in Ghostly Galaxy where there was only a small patch of matter passing through a greenish void would be really cool to see.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
Something like that one section in Ghostly Galaxy where there was only a small patch of matter passing through a greenish void would be really cool to see.
That's the premise of Matter Splatter as well, yes. :D

Suburban Cowboy said:
...how much distance is between the smash team and galaxy team?

Also, we the public have known about galaxy for over a year. Sakurai actually works for nintendo, I'm sure he had access to whatever info he wanted. Also Im sure Nintendo wants galaxy stuff in the game, provides great promotion to those who already own and love mario
You're sure about a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom