• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Temple but it was only good for time matches. Stock matches would just take forever because everyone would just camp down under ground and not die until ~200%. Still nice to see it here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
worldrunover said:
I like the Temple but it was only good for time matches. Stock matches would just take forever because everyone would just camp down under ground and not die until ~200%. Still nice to see it here.
Whenever I play it usually gets upward of 350%. It's fun one on one to just goof off on but with 4 players it was always painful to be one of the first 2 to go. Still like the stage, though. The only stage I really hope makes it back is Corneria.

Jiggy

Stages I'd like to see return:

Big Blue <-- the most important one, right here
Mushroom Kingdom
Onett
Poke Floats
Pokemon Stadium (only because I don't see a reason to name the other one Pokemon Stadium 2 if they aren't bringing this back)
Yoshi's Island

Basically, the more unique layouts are the ones I'd most like to see return, while assuming that I can't take two stages from the same series unless that series is as enormous as Pokemon. (Otherwise I'd also add Fourside and Mute City.) I figure the new stages alone will have enough balance for competitive purposes, so bring on the wacky stuff. And Hyrule Temple was a good start for that.

The one stage I would like to see return:

PeachCastle.jpg

Jiggy

You know, looking at the N64 Peach's Castle, we went from having the castle in the background to fighting on the castle roof itself. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might suggest that all the awesome stuff going on in the backgrounds of Brawl is simply setup for playable stages in Smash Bros. 4, and also that perhaps we could find clues in SSBM stage backgrounds about what'll be playable in Brawl.

But I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so someone else will have to try this out. >_>

Economan said:
The original greatfox would be a good return too.

gf.jpg
I'd like the size of the Sector Z Great Fox but the background and music of Corneria. And the Arwing strength of Sector Z, also; their lasers seemed kind of weak in SSBM.

You can submit custom levels and it has a choice of being map of the day for anyone else playing brawl with a wifi connection, I guess screenshots will have a daily best feature also.

Economan

Jiggy37 said:
But I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so someone else will have to try this out. >_>

I guess the next logical step would be inside the castle itself, somehow. Maybe, the stage could go through paintings thereby changing the stage a bit.

Jiggy37 said:
I'd like the size of the Sector Z Great Fox but the background and music of Corneria. And the Arwing strength of Sector Z, also; their lasers seemed kind of weak in SSBM.

lol, yea, I think I can agree with you here. The greatfox in SSBM definitely would have been a more frequent pick for me had the ship have been of similar size to the 64 version.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Fourside was awesome, even though it didn't have the same Earthbound-esque art style as Onett did. The music was incredible, though, so I'd welcome Fourside back just for the music if nothing else.

(neutral) TCBlau
Banned
(Today, 02:02 AM)
Reply | Quote

And there goes the only other person on these boards to want Roy to come back. I guess this thread just isn't big enough for the both of us.

Anyway, stages I'd like to see return:

Saffron City
Kirby's Dreamland
Mushroom Kingdom (I liked this one better than Melee's)

Melee
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City
Pokemon Stadium

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wonderful news! Temple was always the most requested and favorite stage among my melee sessions.

The other Zelda stage(Major a Mask) deserves a comeback. So many hilariously awesome turtle island saves on that one.

teddyboi said:
I don't get it. Melee had orchestrated music but Brawl has midi? Why?

From what I understand, the pieces on the website are highly compressed and act as stand ins for the pieces that will be in game. If SMG's development is an indicator, orchestration doesn't happen until a month or two before release.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I am still pumped about this. Lovelovelove this stage.

I just wish they had given it a complete graphical makeover, rather than just having the old model plopped into the new engine (making it look crisper).... it's weird how he specifically says in the update that they 'recreated' the stage, but that can't be true. It looks identical to the old version...

You can't have everything though, I'm just glad it's back. BUT when it comes to the N64 stages, having them completely re-done/updated would have been even more important. Imagine Hyrule Castle 64 remade to look as good as some of the new Brawl stages! :O

Insaniac

Rancid Mildew said:
From what I understand, the pieces on the website are highly compressed and act as stand ins for the pieces that will be in game. If SMG's development is an indicator, orchestration doesn't happen until a month or two before release.

for real? We're getting orchestrated? I thought only some select pieces are orchestrated (there is a lot of music in brawl)

Also some pieces fit better with midi (animal crossing?)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I really wonder what happens when Bowser transforms into Giga Bowser while inside that small tunnel? O_O

SuomiDude

teddyboi said:
What I understood, only couple of songs in Melee were orchestrated, the rest were synth.

Well, there isn't basically any difference between them now a days, so I don't care either way.

teddyboi

Banned
SuomiDude said:
What I understood, only couple of songs in Melee were orchestrated, the rest were synth.

Well, there isn't basically any difference between them now a days, so I don't care either way.

Well maybe it's just me, but the quality of music(not the actual melody, but the sound quality) has been worse in the dojo site than on melee. But maybe it's just in early form now.

Nice way to end Novembore. Hyrule Temple was never my faviorte, but its nice to know we will get some stages back. Bring on Big Blue and Termina Bay!:D

CTLance

Oh god. That Zelda remix made me think of one thing: Karaoke. Asian Karaoke. I distinctively remember hearing something like the opening (first ~15 secs) of the music sometime in my childhood (although I'm not Japanese we had a bunch of japanese friends). Maybe it's the instruments or something. Weird.

Anyway, nice update. I'd love for ALL classic stages to make it, though. Even the 64 ones. I do not care if they leave them in the old style. More stages are always a good thing, and it'd be interesting to see how the changed physics/play styles would fit in the stages designed for "old" Smash.

Staccat0 said:
Yeah, fuck that shit. No one will remember us. No need for signatures. Its called your username. bleh

Anyway, For me, this update was terrific. Hype+5
I wanna know what other levels will be returning!

-Staccat0

You sir. I had a laugh.

MrCheez said:
I really wonder what happens when Bowser transforms into Giga Bowser while inside that small tunnel? O_O

Also, what happens to people that are in the tunnel when the Ice Climbers use their final smash?

Donkey Kong Stage
Green Greens

Melee

The Earthbound Town one
Green Greens
Majora's Mask one

Iam Canadian

One thing that would be awesome but probably not happen is if each classic stage had its own My Music selector with their own unique tracks.

jman2050

SuomiDude said:

Actually, my understanding is that none of the tracks in Melee are orchestrated. Can be kind of hard to believe, especially after hearing Fountain of Dreams.

teddyboi said:

I thought I already explained this.

Hold on, lemme get it..

EDIT: Here it is

me said:
Not gonna happen, but I think the MIDIs sound really good.

Here's how I think it went down;

They contacted all the arrangers on that giant list and assigned them all songs and gave them a deadline. Said arrangers used their own equipment/setups to make these songs in their own time. Alot've these people set to arrange are freelance or independent, so I wouldn't expect them to have full bands backing them up.

So we've got the small-time independent composers arranging stuff on their own and we've got the big-wigs like Uematsu with full support from the Smash Team.

If you guys honestly think all those composers on that list clock-in to the Sora building and work on arrangements at the same time everyday then you really don't know how this works.

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:
One thing that would be awesome but probably not happen is if each classic stage had its own My Music selector with their own unique tracks.

I can't imagine why not. We already know that some classic stages are getting new tracks, and a number of those stages had alternate tracks in Melee. There probably won't be multiple new songs for each stage, but I'm betting he'll put in as much Melee music as possible, and perhaps allow some of the tracks for new Brawl stages as options as well.

And from a technical standpoint, it would be more of a hassle to remove My Music functionality for classic stages than to include it.

MisterHero

Raphael the Raven's Moon has more of a chance of making it into Brawl than anything from Galaxy, because the game is too recent. But I'd be fine with Raphael's Moon. :D

Elfforkusu said:
Eff it, I just want a Gusty Garden themed stage.

Thank you.

MisterHero said:
Raphael the Raven's Moon has more of a chance of making it into Brawl than anything from Galaxy, because the game is too recent. But I'd be fine with Raphael's Moon. :D

Wow, why the hell didn't he make a cameo in Galaxy? That would've been perfect!

Brawl has to make up for that!

Also, nothing is 'too recent' for Smash Bros.

See: Roy.

"Roy first appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee on the Nintendo GameCube. He appeared in this game before appearing in his native franchise. This was done in part to promote the release of F&#363;in no Tsurugi in Japan."

Jiggy

Raphael's moon would be stupendous and made of win. Actually, just about anything classic from Yoshi's Island. A Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy stage would be amazing. :eek: Or even something lesser like those floating circular wooden platforms with the arrows, or the set of four platforms that rotated like a wheel.

Linkup

I remember first playing Zelda 2 on the zelda master collection or something like that. Kind of a weird game, but new music just for old stages is welcome.

Keru_Shiri said:
And there goes the only other person on these boards to want Roy to come back. I guess this thread just isn't big enough for the both of us.

Anyway, stages I'd like to see return:

Saffron City
Kirby's Dreamland
Mushroom Kingdom (I liked this one better than Melee's)

Melee
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City
Pokemon Stadium

I saw this on the other page, and let me just say, I'm with you!

Roy is one of my favorites easy, and I will be completly crushed if he dosnt return :(

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Raphael's moon would be stupendous and made of win. Actually, just about anything classic from Yoshi's Island. A Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy stage would be amazing. :eek: Or even something lesser like those floating circular wooden platforms with the arrows, or the set of four platforms that rotated like a wheel.

Raphael the Raven's moon would not only reference Yoshi's Island but also provide that "Galaxy-esque" stage that everybody wants. Besides, Gusty Garden Galaxy's music would fit perfectly there.

"Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" has to appear in this game in some capacity. Be it a stage hazard, an item, heck, even an Assist Trophy (an A.T that summons a swarm of Fuzzies, perhpas?), the Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy mechanic must be present.

teddyboi

Banned
I'd be pretty crushed if Marth didn't make a return. Talk about a bad-ass character that was top tier. Going by the videos, Ike is like a shitted on, slow, boring version of Marth. Plus, there was no greater feeling than pulling off the final wing of the B-Sideways combos. I wonder is Ike will have those...

Sciz

Cutting Marth would be like cutting Ness Fox. He's the iconic character of his series, and while there are plenty of other characters that can fill a second or third slot, he's effectively a permanent fixture.

That and he's got an upcoming game in the works.

Jiggy

As if he was ever in doubt, I'd say Marth pretty much became guaranteed when he found out Ike was so slow, then guaranteed a second time when Fire Emblem DS was a remake of his game.

KevinCow

Banned
How would Raphael the Raven's Moon or a Galaxy stage work? I think it's an interesting idea in theory, but I'm not certain it would work in practice. I think there would have to be too many changes to the way the game plays.
teddyboi said:
I'd be pretty crushed if Marth didn't make a return. Talk about a bad-ass character that was top tier. Going by the videos, Ike is like a shitted on, slow, boring version of Marth. Plus, there was no greater feeling than pulling off the final wing of the B-Sideways combos. I wonder is Ike will have those...
Ike's side special is apparently something like Fox's side special.

Also, if Marth is still in, I don't think he'll be nearly as powerful as he was in Melee.

Lavpa Jasai said:
I saw this on the other page, and let me just say, I'm with you!

Roy is one of my favorites easy, and I will be completly crushed if he dosnt return :(
And with that, the Roy Defense Force is reborn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom