• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzRLOGC4ulV71C0

zlCfzRLObXYa-UCaz0
zlCfzRLOmSQ2SO5KLJ

zlCfzRLOqDwLvLxm2j
zlCfzRLOwxwsf8A7Nd

zlCfzRLO09wCnQ5vlr
zlCfzRLO69cJX6Oy2M

zlCfzRLO_lkuItyUg_
zlCfzRLPIWkb34WbUN

zlCfzRLPU3EH4XO7du
zlCfzRLPfSQwDExEG0

zlCfzRLPnj8BiGoFIA
zlCfzRLPrH8SKFhn4_

zlCfzRLPvlM5gkvV4m
zlCfzRLP0hcDdaJXWA

Later.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ranking time! Probably the lowest low we've ever reached! But at least most of the schedule was good!

1. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  2. Soul Eater
  3. One Piece
  4. Naruto
  5. Inuyasha 2
  6. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  7. Inuyasha 1
  8. FLCL
  9. Star Wars: Clone Wars
  10. IGPX
  11. Kick-Heart
  12. Bleach
  13. Korgoth of Barbaria
  14. Sword Art Online
  15. King Star King

Laterz

Your drawings are way too epic for that worthless excuse for a character, Jar Jar. Laughing so hard at the Brotherhood one and I especially love the Naruto one. Badass. Btw, what's that one with the silhouette of the 4 guys with one of them carrying some sort of sword?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ahahaha. Love it.

LoL, glad ya guys like that one:) Group shots offer fun possibilities

Swesome sketches. Does tonight's part count mean OT 8?

Night all.

Your drawings are way too epic for that worthless excuse for a character, Jar Jar. Laughing so hard at the Brotherhood one and I especially love the Naruto one. Badass. Btw, what's that one with the silhouette of the 4 guys with one of them carrying some sort of sword?

Thanks :) I didn't wanna spend much time on Jar Jar... but it got fun, guess I like drawing odd designs (though I did think of addin a "Justa killa Meesa now..." to it...)

Silhouette of the 4 is of the Band of 7 at the end of the flashback in the first Inuyasha ep. That was so quick to do, I figured I'd just do 2 for it... so 2 pics for Inuyasha Ep 1, one pic for Ep 2.

Silhouette of the 4 is of the Band of 7 at the end of the flashback in the first Inuyasha ep. That was so quick to do, I figured I'd just do 2 for it... so 2 pics for Inuyasha Ep 1, one pic for Ep 2.

See, I thought that's what it was but I didn't know if you did more than one sketch per episode so I was confused.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-nod- Yeah, can understand that! :) Not drawin' the specials (And using the time on a Dandy+ Catchup after the complicated Soul Eater Pic) threw everything for a loop. I started off slow, and ended up ahead! So figured I'd toss in some extras / do something more elaborate when I could... (That and I'm kinda meh at my Major, for a variety of reasons, so had to personally make up for it!)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning Toonami-GAF

It's so weird to see Naruto with a budget. I guess that's why this fight is so memorable.

One Piece is revving up!

I can't even pinpoint the moment in SAO that angered me the most. The reveal that Heathcliff was the programmer all along? That he can't even remember why he did it? That we're meant to SYMPATHIZE with this mass-murderer? That Kirito's first thought after he wakes up is to leave his hospital bed and find Asuna, even though she's very likely not there? The fact that they didn't give their real contact info, or even their real names in the time they were together?
How did Kirito even make it out of the room? He spent two years in that bed, his legs should collapse under him! Muscle atrophy, what's that?
And reading what happens next.... this is going to be an interesting few months.

Raxus

Wanna know what is even worse? Heathcliff/programmer just 'murdered' his wife AND HIM and he is all 'I understand' when she is right there. Someone should have called him on his bullshit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hearing all the Log Horizon stuff, I should get around to checking that series out one of these days (or maaayybbee pre-block?). I was planning to, but I've been busy with college so I've limited the amount of anime I've been watching this season.

bigkrev

Good morning Toonami-GAF

It's so weird to see Naruto with a budget. I guess that's why this fight is so memorable.

One Piece is revving up!

I can't even pinpoint the moment in SAO that angered me the most. The reveal that Heathcliff was the programmer all along? That he can't even remember why he did it? That we're meant to SYMPATHIZE with this mass-murderer? That Kirito's first thought after he wakes up is to leave his hospital bed and find Asuna, even though she's very likely not there? The fact that they didn't give their real contact info, or even their real names in the time they were together?
How did Kirito even make it out of the room? He spent two years in that bed, his legs should collapse under him! Muscle atrophy, what's that?
And reading what happens next.... this is going to be an interesting few months.

I know exactly the moment I turned on this episode. I have no problems with Heathcliff being the programmer, or that years of being in this game had made him forget why he even did it.

What I do have a problem with, is the "author" (I use the term lightly) thinking that it is perfectly normal for people to commit suicide immediately after a friend dies. The best explanation I have is that the author has severe mental handicaps that prevent them from understanding human empathy, like some super evolved version of Aspergers. This isn't even the first time in this fucking series this happened! The fact that Kirito had to fucking ask that she would be prevented from killing herself, and her freaking out when Heathcliff allowing it is legitimately insulting to anyone over the age of 13,

The author was a teenage Japanese boy trying to create male power fantasy through which he could live vicariously. Stop taking it so seriously and your blood pressure will go down. By episode 4 it was clear this show is nothing but nonsense.

I like how everyone was already angry/upset, then I explained what part 2 of SAO was about and then everyone just exploded lo

Also

10,000 Players Enter the Game.
6,147 Players Survive.
3,853 Players Died (2,000 of them during the 1 Month).

That means 61.47% of the people survived the game and more players died in the first month then in the remaining 2ish years of being trapped in SAO

From the author:

Long time no see; or perhaps it is more proper to call this the first meeting. I am Kawahara. Thank you very much for reading «Sword Art Online 2: Aincrad».

After volume one was published, I received a large amount of valuable advice regarding "How can I continue this from this sort of ending?" No matter how you look at it, the game was completely cleared, and the world had also collapsed. Even while I, myself, was reading it, I felt there were absolutely no elements that could be continued further.

Then, there was the sequel that hurt my brain, or namely, this book. My apologies, the time was turned back to the past. And moreover, it was a collection of short stories. I'm truly sorry about that.

I have previously also played some online games. But no matter in what game, I have never been part of a high-ranking group. I merely envied those eternally strong players with the best equipment and reputation, one after another easily defeating monsters, and afterwards feeling that they were "So skilled! So strong!" (haha)

Therefore, I wanted to write about not only the volume one's protagonists Kirito and Asuna and their «Game Clearer» type of top players, but wanted even more to write something about the stories of ordinary mid-level players; and this second volume's four short stories, have precisely this kind of content. Regardless of which story, they are basically about Kirito debuting and causing a big stir; and feeling that he is "So skilled! So strong!" like Silica and Lisbeth felt, is precisely what I have felt every year since becoming an MMO player. Really, and once would be enough, I really want to know what it feels like to show off to others a weapon of which there are only three copies in the entire server.

Besides that, there's one more thing that I must apologize to everyone about. Even though the four female characters in this book are all different female players, their male counterpart, as discussed earlier, was always Kirito-san. Even though there is no way for me to explain myself to everyone properly on this point, I painfully excuse myself, and ask that everyone please use the "even though the criminal and victim change every time, the detective is always the same person" mindset you have when reading detective novel series... you can't do it right? Sorry, sorry.

Lastly, to abec-sensei who drew all the constantly appearing new heroines with personality and cuteness, and to Miki-san who gave me many ideas with regards to all the strange and complex game system settings: you have taken care of me yet again.

And to you who read this book to the end, I am truly thankful.

bigkrev

I like how everyone was already angry/upset, then I explained what part 2 of SAO was about and then everyone just exploded lo

Also

10,000 Players Enter the Game.
6,147 Players Survive.
3,853 Players Died (2,000 of them during the 1 Month).

That means 61.47% of the people survived the game and more players died in the first month then in the remaining 2ish years of being trapped in SAO

I find that stat about more people dying in the first month to be entirely plausible. Most people had never played the game before, and were probably careless and accidentally fought a mob too high level for them. As time went on, people learned and became more careful.

I find that stat about more people dying in the first month to be entirely plausible. Most people had never played the game before, and were probably careless and accidentally fought a mob too high level for them. As time went on, people learned and became more careful.
Yeah. I like that logic.
I haven't really despised the show as much as the rest of ToonamiGAF, so I may avoid the rest of it before I regret it.
That is... Unless someone convinces me to stay.

Seda

The worst part about the SAO episode was easily the "I forgot" line, for me. The players and their families go through ... well .... 2 years of that situation, just because? How uninteresting. Such a cop out in the writing.

Awesome sketches. Does tonight's part count mean OT 8?

Night all.

Probably.

The worst part about the SAO episode was easily the "I forgot" line, for me. The players and their families go through ... well .... 2 years of that situation, just because? How uninteresting. Such a cop out in the writing.
Is it too much to justify that since he's been playing the game like everyone else, his own mental stability was in question?
Of course, if he had the ability to log out during the past 2 years, you know... Being the game's creator and all, you're right about it being a cop out.

To be fair the first episode had him explain why he made the game, he basically wanted to play god in a world of his creation.

Also just watched last nights InuYasha episodes, so upset my alarm didn't go off they were really good

Read what I posted above and then go back and watch the first episode. Akihiro explains why he creates the game, I think people are focusing too much on the "lol I forgot" line. The dude is clearly a little unbalanced and has been playing SAO for 2 years like everyone else. I can buy him forgetting his original intentions as time goes on and his sanity continues to erode.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, last nights inuyasha was surprisingly good, enough to keep me up after so many hours x_x

Yeah, the explanation of an eroded mind is a plausible one. A band aid for a seemingly poorly executed reveal. Though it seems to be that we may imparting more explanation than the author intended. Either than or he was a 14 year old master, talented in extreme levels of subtlety. There's just not a lot of indication that he was unstable, but the explanation that he is fits the situation and motive. I dunno, it feels like working backwards, can't explain it in words.

Like indiscriminately slapping paint up on a canvas and then later deciding what it is you drew.

Seda

I'm not saying Akihiro's reasoning is nonsense. He's just some guy who wanted a world to rule and somewhere along the line he got lost along the way. It's still boring and lazy writing. When the primary impetus of the show up to this point is for the characters to surpass Akihiro's whims I would hope there would be more to it than that.

Rankings for this weekend

1. Naruto
2. One Piece
3. FMA Brotherhood
4. Soul Eater
5/6. InuYasha
7. FLCL
8. GitS
9. Korgoth
10. Clone Wars
11. Bleach
12. IGPX
13. SAO
14. King Star King
15. Shirley Temple
16. Hot Pockets
17. China IL
18. Children can't choose their parents (manga)
19. School Days
20. Hot House
999999. Kick Heart

Seda

Rankings for this weekend

1. Naruto
2. One Piece
3. FMA Brotherhood
4. Soul Eater
5/6. InuYasha
7. FLCL
8. GitS
9. Korgoth
10. Clone Wars
11. Bleach
12. IGPX
13. SAO
14. King Star King
15. Shirley Temple
16. Hot Pockets
17. China IL
18. Children can't choose their parents (manga)
19. School Days
20. Hot House
999999. Kick Heart

Hot Pockets too low

To be fair the first episode had him explain why he made the game, he basically wanted to play god in a world of his creation.

Also just watched last nights InuYasha episodes, so upset my alarm didn't go off they were really good

I think the question is WHY he wanted to play god and all that. Because at this point you're better off with NO explanation than "I forgot"

You can call the writing "boring" since that's entirely subjective but I don't think this particular bit is lazy. The show never appealed to you Seda; it's a harem for adolescent males and it works in that context.

The point of the show is for the characters to clear the game by beating Akihiro so they can return to the real world. In a twist we find out Akihiro was hiding within plain sight as leader of the most powerful guild in the game but Kirito figures it out after he got jobbed in a duel.

That isn't lazy writing.

Asuna somehow breaking out of paralysis set by the game master to die for her virtual husband, Kirito being killed but coming back from the dead to kill Akihiro, Kirito waking up from the game instead of being dead, Kirito walking to find his waifu after being stuck in a coma for two years...all of those things are lazy writing and worth criticizing.

I think the question is WHY he wanted to play god and all that. Because at this point you're better off with NO explanation than "I forgot"

...Guess I'll post this again

I have previously also played some online games. But no matter in what game, I have never been part of a high-ranking group. I merely envied those eternally strong players with the best equipment and reputation, one after another easily defeating monsters, and afterwards feeling that they were "So skilled! So strong!" (haha)

Therefore, I wanted to write about not only the volume one's protagonists Kirito and Asuna and their «Game Clearer» type of top players, but wanted even more to write something about the stories of ordinary mid-level players; and this second volume's four short stories, have precisely this kind of content. Regardless of which story, they are basically about Kirito debuting and causing a big stir; and feeling that he is "So skilled! So strong!" like Silica and Lisbeth felt, is precisely what I have felt every year since becoming an MMO player. Really, and once would be enough, I really want to know what it feels like to show off to others a weapon of which there are only three copies in the entire server.

Akihiro probably represents the author to an extent. He's never been a top tier player in the MMOs that he's played and decides to create his own game where he can play god.

Seda

I think it's incredibly lazy. The entire setting and premise of the show is set up because of a guy who wanted a world to rule, just because? (I'm not talking about him being the guild leader, I thought that was fine...er...mostly, despite being predictable.) Seems like the author very hastily constructed the villain character and his motivations just to put the show into a video game world.

I understand that my envisioning what the show should have been is different than what the author was intending, I'm just pointing out the these are the things I didn't like. Just opinions, that's all.

e: Further, I think I call the "I forgot" line the worst part of the episode over some of the other events like Asuna breaking out of paralysis because it affects the impetus of the entire show up to this point, rather than being a singular nonsense occurrence.
-

There isn't a single SAB CA sketch that stands above the rest this week but I am consistently impressed how you can emulate the art style of each show while keeping your own style, and I think the sketches are improving in art quality.

Has anybody here read the light novels?

Edit: I'm curious to see if they expanded on Akihiko's motivation for creating the game. There has to be more to it than "lol I wanted to play sim city with real people and rpg elements"....

Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom