• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
All of the writing isn't bad but I think some people form an opinion and apply it in the broadest sense.

Even in the broad sense SAO is badly written; witness why so many people are praising Log Horizon, the latter knows and understands MMORPG tropes and the former does not, which stems from the writing.

Even in the broad sense SAO is badly written; witness why so many people are praising Log Horizon, the latter knows and understands MMORPG tropes and the former does not, which stems from the writing.
I don't think Log Horizon and SAO are setting out to do the same thing. One is a poorly executed harem and the other is not. Not all of the episodes are terribly written like you would suggest, however, I do believe that the underlying principles are poorly realized. SAO has a terrible foundation but it isn't like there are no redeeming qualities to be found. That's my opinion on the show.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This week the Toonami Pre-Show Watchblock will feature Valvrave entering its second season, Zeppeli possibly dying in Jojo's Bizarre in Adventure, throwing guns everywhere in Fate/Zero, stoner Kirito doing stoner stuff with a redhead (part 2) in Darker than Black, and it's a trap! in Steins;Gate. All of this starts in 9:00 PM EDT Saturday!

9:00 - Valvrave the Liberator - 13 - Bonds of Curse
9:25 - Valvrave the Liberator - 14 - Siblings in the Atmosphere
9:50 - JoJo's Bizzare Adventure - 7 - Sorrowful Successor
10:15 - Fate/Zero - 8 - The Magus Killer
10:40 - Darker than Black - 6 - Red Giant Over Eastern Europe... (Part 2)
11:05 - Steins;Gate - 7 - Divergence Singularity

N.B. Alright guys. I'm going to keep this short and simple. So things will change in regards to the pre-show watchblock but not by that much. I'll get into those details once we actually start this weekend. The reason for this is because I'm moving cuz I got a job. So... yeah. Secondly, there's a new survey and I have decided to remove long-running shows for the sake of putting new shows. Hidden below is the link to the new survey.

Jintor

I think there's a bunch of interesting little tweaks in Log Horizon, apart from the just straight-up better pacing and writing, that make it more immediately interesting than SAO. (First two episodes)

Firstly, the main characters and most of the anciliary characters so far are veterans of the actual game, so they know a lot about it. But because it's not the game proper, there's still some boundaries to test and new things to discover. So you get both the "Holy shit they're badasses" from having experience in the world, and then you get the "Wow this world operates on different rules!" bits as they figure new stuff out.

Secondly, it doesn't seem to show any IRL bits so you don't get hung up on technical details like "You guys are stuck in a hospital bed for whatever years!". In fact, the mystery of whether they're in the game or in a world that's like the game or whatever is pretty cool so far, too.

Finally, just the setting and its immediate parallels to the real world are so much more interesting than Alfheim. It taps into familiarity with already-existing geography, but again overlays this fantasy element so you don't quite know the specifics, as such. Also the scenery is fuckin' boss.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't think Log Horizon and SAO are setting out to do the same thing. One is a poorly executed harem and the other is not. Not all of the episodes are terribly written like you would suggest, however, I do believe the underlying principles are poorly realized. SAO has a terrible foundation but it isn't like there are no redeeming qualities. That's my opinion on the show.

The poor execution of the MMORPG stuff is directly tied into the other areas of shit writing, but enough of that for the moment because we could fill libraries filled with text on what Sword Art Online does wrong.

kayos90

I'm going to say it right now. If you do the survey and choose to do crappy, jokester, etc responses I will not count it. Also, I forgot to add one item so redo it if you've already done it.

All of the writing isn't bad but I think some people form an opinion and apply it in the broadest sense.

From what I see, people have an opinion and lets that cloud over their logic and fail to have a proper discussion. Meh...

Defending the indefensible is remarkable.

SAO is not wholly indefensible.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I have yet to see it, the best seems to be, it isn't THAT bad, or it is not ALL bad. It really is some weaksauce stuff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO isn't even the worst show aired since the reboot. It's more interesting than either Samurai 7 or GXP. Better looking than either and has a better soundtrack too boot. Less dumb story wise than either GXP or the Thundercats reboot.

Jintor

I'm not entirely familiar with CNN so I have no idea what this means... lol. blame my naivety. Can you explain? T_T

Something like this

I'm just kidding around, of course, but almost all of the criticism of SAO beneath its immediate shock value reactions has some solid grounds to it and pretending that there's no attempt to have a proper discussion is kinda dumb

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I would be fine with another "experimental" hour next year, though I think it'd depend on what they had in mind. I'd prefer different stuff over two episodes that we just watched.

Be sure to tell that to Demarco, this seems like one of those your voice counts deals.

kayos90

Something like this

I'm just kidding around, of course, but almost all of the criticism of SAO beneath its immediate shock value reactions has some solid grounds to it and pretending that there's no attempt to have a proper discussion is kinda dumb

When people like Shard and I forget who it was but someone else from last week talk about SAO the way they do its difficult for me to think another way. Granted I'm not saying this thread is incapable of it since we've done it before.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think there's a bunch of interesting little tweaks in Log Horizon, apart from the just straight-up better pacing and writing, that make it more immediately interesting than SAO. (First two episodes)

Firstly, the main characters and most of the anciliary characters so far are veterans of the actual game, so they know a lot about it. But because it's not the game proper, there's still some boundaries to test and new things to discover. So you get both the "Holy shit they're badasses" from having experience in the world, and then you get the "Wow this world operates on different rules!" bits as they figure new stuff out.

Secondly, it doesn't seem to show any IRL bits so you don't get hung up on technical details like "You guys are stuck in a hospital bed for whatever years!". In fact, the mystery of whether they're in the game or in a world that's like the game or whatever is pretty cool so far, too.

Finally, just the setting and its immediate parallels to the real world are so much more interesting than Alfheim. It taps into familiarity with already-existing geography, but again overlays this fantasy element so you don't quite know the specifics, as such. Also the scenery is fuckin' boss.
this is the exact same thing with SAO lol the first episode they said kirito was a beta tester.

Jintor

Experimental is still cool, we just rolled badly this year

this is the exact same thing with SAO lol the first episode they said kirito was a beta tester.

Yeah, Kirito and Kirito only. In Log Horizon most every main character is level capped at Lvl 90 right from the get-go, so it's not so much 'This chucklefuck is the one true beater' but rather everyone working together as experienced adventurers to figure out what's going on

Branduil

Hey guys, we're testing out the first Toonami Post-show Watchblock tonight. Message me for more details. Here is the schedule written using an ancient, unbreakable codex. The first one to decrypt it gets a free cookie:

9 pm EST : Smart Money
9:05: Kawaii Instincts
9:30: Webligence
10:00: Deep Balls
10:25: Let's Watch Anime

That's all happening starting at 9 pm, Eastern, tonight. It's short notice, but it can't be helped.

Jintor

Hey guys, we're testing out the first Toonami Post-show Watchblock tonight. Message me for more details. Here is the schedule written using an ancient, unbreakable codex. The first one to decrypt it gets a free cookie:

9 pm EST : Smart Money
9:05: Kawaii Instincts
9:30: Webligence
10:00: Deep Balls
10:25: Let's Watch Anime

That's all happening starting at 9 pm, Eastern, tonight. It's short notice, but it can't be helped.

10:00 Death Billiards
10:25 Little Witch ACademia?

Azure J

So what did I miss this week thanks to falling asleep yet again?
My work week schedule has forced me to become a responsible old person who goes to sleep on time out of exhaustion and it's carried over to the weekends it seems... At least I have a legit certification in Photoshop now. Career building, hooooo!

So what did I miss this week thanks to falling asleep yet again?
My work week schedule has forced me to become a responsible old person who goes to sleep on time out of exhaustion and it's carried over to the weekends it seems... At least I have a legit certification in Photoshop now. Career building, hooooo!
Bleach was terrible, Naruto/One Piece/ Brotherhood hype is reaching critical levels, Soul Eater was solid as always, GitS looks poised to carry the banner of most underrated show on the block and SAO was...well, just go back and read the reactions.

I don't watch Inuyasha or Clone Wars

Raxus

Submitted my answers.

I voted for GTO, Accel, and Madoka. I haven't seen the former but I have seen Madoka. It came down to Madoka or Gurran Lagaan. Neither were high on my list of priorities.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Log Horizon 3:
  • Yeah, that was fun.
  • OMG, what RPG lets you use Status Effects on BOSSES?! It barely ever happens, but I love games that allow it.
  • It's goregeous how no one is freaking out about being trapped here.
  • HAHA, Londark. Reminds me of Goldark from Dragon Force. Mixed with Luca Blight + A monk from RO.

Log Horizon 4:
  • Nyanman is the coolest. Though I think he stepped out of Ghibli's "The Cat Returns".
  • Serara reminds me of a La Pucelle Tactics design. Like a female version of Culotte.
  • So the monks attacks are pretty much exactly monk skills from RO. He even has "Snap" movement, Triple blows, uses Claws...
  • I get the Slayers like "We're too good for anyone we challenge" feel from these guys. I don't mind this, it doesn't happen too often.
  • Having an Enchanter / DeBuffer as a main in a story isn't too common. It's a class I love to play in older games (Was a Red Mage main in FFXIII), so it makes me smile.

Guess I've found a new weekly watch now that AoT is oh Hiatus! Theres a lot of "The binding spell... binds people!" talk in this show, and I'd actually prefer it to do kinda like titan, where they felt no need to explain main things in show, since eyecatches would do it later on. But I can deal with that little issue.

One thing I like more about SAO than this is that SAO's world felt more unique. An MMO that focused on melee fighting, without magic? It had a few designs that felt kinda "stock", but I wasn't consatnly feeling like every NPC or background person I saw reminded me of something I played already...

LH feels like I'm seeing every RPG type I know and love reiterated somewhere in the crowds and cast. One guy reminds me of Yuber from Suikoden... the Blue-outfit secretary girl looks like Chloe from Tales of Legendia... I kinda love the feeling, and I love it's all under one roof (which is the most unique part about the designs), but it makes it a little too familiar in some ways.

And it's really kinda weird how being trapped in this game isn't a threat to these players at all. I guess that's part of the mystery, but it just feels a bit... ignored. "I'm a CAD student in University!" ... not anymore! I'm sure they've failed you by now!

This is fun though, and easily leaves me with more of a smile upon episode completion than SAO.

Err, I'm pretty sure underrated could never ever apply to GitS:SAC. It's rated. Properly so.
I'm the only one willing to talk about GitS here on off days, it doesn't get the same level of attention as a One Piece, SAO, or Soul Eater. Obviously people like the show but it's underrated, people are way more hyped about FLCL which has been done to death on Adult Swim.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
mmm I might join that post block, but I want to get through atleast rozen maiden traumend by tonight so I can start on rozen maiden 2013, dammit branduil if I knew sooner I would plan around it better

Levyne

Banned
Sometimes I feel like some of this belongs in the anime thread and not here. I don't feel strongly about it, but I still feel such.

Branduil

mmm I might join that post block, but I want to get through atleast rozen maiden traumend by tonight so I can start on rozen maiden 2013, dammit branduil if I knew sooner I would plan around it better

It's not a big deal, everything we're watching tonight is self-contained. If the post-show watchblock becomes a regular thing there will be a lot more advance warning.

Seda

I think I said something about the non-Toonami content in here before - I think what it boils down to is that it is mostly inevitable. Comparisons will be made between shows airing on here and other shows. There's also a community that has formed that, from what I perceive, feels comfortable which each other in talking about various things not directly related to 'Toonami', whether it's other anime/shows or some chatter on newly released video games (considering this is a gaming forum). I think trying to direct traffic as to what 'should' be posted in here and what 'should' be posted in Anime-GAF is a little too limiting/inhibiting. By far the majority of posts in the thread is Toonami related anyway so I don't think it's a big problem, even if most of the 'other' stuff I can't participate in because I'm unfamiliar.

I will say though that I personally think you shouldn't go overboard with extended (spoiler tagged of course) discussion on such things, especially if it is content of a show on Toonami that hasn't aired yet. But I don't want people to feel hesitant to post something in here because they wonder if it's 'acceptable' or related enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom