• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eeh it's not so bad. I know Naruto and One Piece are good. Bleach is awful as usual. SE is rarely that bad and this is my third favorite episode of FLCL and I watched SAO with my friend last night so that basically leaves the first surprise as the only well surprise on the list.

Korgoth and Kickheart were as good as usual and the backhalf of Toonami was great, though I was getting super loopy by the second episode of Inuyasha. I think some poison guy showed up and Sesshy whooped his ass and then they teased Alphonse Elric showing up.

i don't see how you having a theory for the reason excuses the show not giving a reason.
Except that he explicitly stated he wanted to "play god" in the very first episode. From there it's not hard to speculate further, especially if you do a little research on your own.

Except that he explicitly stated he wanted to "play god" in the very first episode. From there it's not hard to speculate further, especially if you do a little research on your own.

and again, why did he want to play god? he forgot. boom, frustrating anticlimax and the second instance of "well, i dunno" in the same episode. not sure why that can't be called lazy writing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
and again, why did he want to play god? he forgot. boom, frustrating anticlimax and the second instance of "well, i dunno" in the same episode. not sure why that can't be called lazy writing.

"Lazy writing" is being generous. It can barely even be called writing at all.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I wasn't even expecting... that end for SAO last night, so as it happened, I was pretty much in

zlCfzRAIIx4qTkTgVt
zlCfzRBD5noJkea-fx

mode the entire time, lol. (nice to not be spoil'd on plots for once!)

Well Crap. I fell asleep during Clone Wars. :/

Nice. Gaara vs Rock Lee and Band of 7 is so Damn nostalgic. :)

It's fun to watch these Naruto fights again, especially knowing as much as we know now! I think I like Band of 7 because it feels like a Megaman game, haha. All leading up to a certain Mountain showdown with Wily!

Meanwhile in log horizon (courtesy of AnimeGAF):

tumblr_muez77oR0y1r5z86ho1_250.gif

I have no idea what this is, lol. Should... should I find out?

From the author:

That's actually kinda interesting. I always sympathize with show / story creators, I've done my own share of tryin to think up stories, and having them critiqued in ways that... I'd never think of during the creation, ha. And then watch people totally blow over what I thought was cool, and make up their own explanation to what I did, haha...

Really great. Your so good at this! ^_^

awesome SAB!

Props to sab again for another week of awesomeness. Jar jar one in particular made me laugh

Thanks a lot guys! ^_^ Much appreciated!

There isn't a single SAB CA sketch that stands above the rest this week but I am consistently impressed how you can emulate the art style of each show while keeping your own style, and I think the sketches are improving in art quality.

Thanks for the detailed analysis!

Drawin' in controlled time limits is kinda stressful, but I love how it forces me to get creative. Drawing in not-exactly-pixel and not-anywhere-near-vectors is oddly perfect for me. The color covers are always the biggest point of annoyance; can't perfect them in the small amount of time I allow for them, but they're easily the pics I spend the most time on per set. And Art Academy is nothing like Photoshop / quite different than natural media, so coloring is a real pain, forcing a lot of tricks to try and produce desired stuff in time... CHALLENGE!

Just watched last nights GitS...so freaking good, this is now my favorite show on the block.

Yet, let me add that I love this early GiTS SAC episode. All the visual fun with the Fish-eye Camera views... it was the episode that really proved to me that it could be sophisticated and subtly fun all at the same time, which I actually find to be a pretty mature thing to pull off.

"This show is a work of masters of their craft."

It takes everything that's great about SAC (2deep4Me conversations, it's own sci-fi elements, the questioning of humanity VS machine, the Major being fun to look at, Batou always lookin like a wisecrackin' Jerk, awesome music, etc) and puts it into one ep that never feels like it's at lack for anything (unlike many others, where you're thinking "Shut up and shoot something already... please?!?")

Amikami

Banned
So these novels are still ongoing? Can we expect to see more of this animated?

What a weird fame for the writer of SAO. I can talk about this guy and his story as much as I like, but in the end, this guy has a huge fanbase and money because of it. Isn't it weird how consistently good the animation in SAO is? Where does that budget come from?

I'm kinda intrigued.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

What a weird fame for the writer of SAO. I can talk about this guy and his story as much as I like, but in the end, this guy has a huge fanbase and money because of it. Isn't it weird how consistently good the animation in SAO is? Where does that budget come from?

I'm kinda intrigued.

They're still going. The 13th came out in August.
It's very likely there will be more anime. The first anime arc (the one we witnessed) only covers the first two books.

Also, Yen Press is releasing the first volume in English in April. I doubt it will make more sense than the anime but....

LOLDSFAN

Just read Gaf's reaction to SAO to Star Wars. It was like you all were descending into madness. It was hilarious each step of the way

Yeah I don't know what the theme for last night would be, but it'd be something something terrible.

Also it really saddens me how defensive and arrogant DeMarco can get sometimes. I mean look at this:

I hate when people get like that and can't realize their own faults. :/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeah I don't know what the theme for last night would be, but it'd be something something terrible.

Also it really saddens me how defensive and arrogant DeMarco can get sometimes. I mean look at this:

It certainly reeks of a double standard, King Star King proved that this block has a few of those.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
They're still going. The 13th came out in August.
It's very likely there will be more anime. The first anime arc (the one we witnessed) only covers the first two books.

Also, Yen Press is releasing the first volume in English in April. I doubt it will make more sense than the anime but....

this whole thing reminds me of the monogatari series, cept the monogatari series has good writing, though the writer probably has written better stories with SAO since he's older, he probably is just stuck doing it because of popularity.

Tenumi

Banned

I don't see any arrogance in his comments. The Toonami staff has put together a relatively successful block. Really, only they are the ones who can say what shows they want on their block.

Yes, the first show wasn't good at all. But what were people expecting? We know that they're on a limited budget. Pulling some stuff out of the archives was to be expected.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't see any arrogance in his comments. The Toonami staff has put together a relatively successful block. Really, only they are the ones who can say what shows they want on their block.

Yes, the first show wasn't good at all. But what were people expecting? We know that they're on a limited budget. Pulling some stuff out of the archives was to be expected.

It is more the fact that Demarco is getting ultra-defensive over their airing of the DST material. Sometimes the audience has a bad reaction to your programming and you just have to roll along with it.

so do you guys legitimately like Log Horizon a lot or is your viewing of Sword Art Online sort of giving you a much better impression than you would have if you'd never have seen SAO?

Conan-san

Meanwhile in log horizon (courtesy of AnimeGAF):

tumblr_muez77oR0y1r5z86ho1_250.gif

I could watch this all day.

so do you guys legitimately like Log Horizon a lot or is your viewing of Sword Art Online sort of giving you a much better impression than you would have if you'd never have seen SAO?
Eh, good question. LH is definitely more concerned with making the mechanics feel MMORPGy as opposed to the sort of Megaman Battle Network understanding of Internet that SAO has. Plus it's by the guy who did Maoyuu so we're all just glad it's not fucking boring like that 13 episode slog was (Spoilers; it was the
Gamelon,
and no body cares even though it's THE FREAKING
GAMELONS
AND
THEY'RE DEVELOPING GUNS
. Somehow ARMS made that boring. May the stupid stupid boob anime studio rot in the pits of Oden for that)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It is more the fact that Demarco is getting ultra-defensive over their airing of the DST material. Sometimes the audience has a bad reaction to your programming and you just have to roll along with it.

This is how the entirety of Adult Swim acts though. They've always had an abusive relationship with their viewer base.

Tenumi

Banned

I guess I don't really see it as ultra-defensive, but whatever, what's done is done. Nobody can really take anything back.

The DST stuff though, makes me wonder, what exactly does Adult Swim have stuffed away in their rights archive?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Demarco gets SUPER defensive about just about everything that he perceives as being even vaguely critical, even if it's a politely worded legitimate question. He also moves goalposts CONSTANTLY and gets defensive when somebody calls him out on it.

I understand, the nature of programming can be fluid, situations change, etc., and he has to deal with a lot of douches harassing him because people online are just generally assholes. Even still, though, he is quick to kneejerk to a defensive, dismissive position.

He would probably quote this post and say I don't know anything about the business or what he does and should try running a super awesome and successful TV block for myself first, even though I haven't actually said anything negative about the product and generally think the Toonami has had many more hits than misses so far and is generally moving in the right direction.

Jintor

I like how everyone was already angry/upset, then I explained what part 2 of SAO was about and then everyone just exploded lo

Also

10,000 Players Enter the Game.
6,147 Players Survive.
3,853 Players Died (2,000 of them during the 1 Month).

That means 61.47% of the people survived the game and more players died in the first month then in the remaining 2ish years of being trapped in SAO

well, i dunno, that kind of statistic absolutely makes sense to me

I'm kinda intrigued.

After watching Log Horizon, the animation for SAO is revealed for what it is: nonsense.

Well, maybe I just don't like SAO's artstyle, but LH is far easier to follow and more dramatic. So far, anyway. Also, it doesn't skip the fight scenes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Yes, the story is kind of average right now, but this actually plays out like a MMORPG, which is a HUGE plus in its favor. I linked to the show itself so y'all can watch it if you want.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Demarco gets SUPER defensive just about everything that he perceives as being even vaguely critical, even if it's a politely worded legitimate question. He also moves goalposts CONSTANTLY and gets defensive when somebody calls him out on it.

I understand, the nature of programming can be fluid, situations change, etc., and he has to deal with a lot of douches harassing him because people online are just generally assholes. Even still, though, he is quick to kneejerk to a defensive, dismissive position.

He would probably quote this post and say I don't know anything about the business or what he does and should try running a super awesome and successful TV block for myself first, even though I haven't actually said anything negative about the product and generally think the Toonami has had many more hits than misses so far and is generally moving in the right direction.

No arguments there, it is one reason why have an adversarial relationship on Twitter.

I guess I don't really see it as ultra-defensive, but whatever, what's done is done. Nobody can really take anything back.

The DST stuff though, makes me wonder, what exactly does Adult Swim have stuffed away in their rights archive?
You should read his twitter more often, he can be a dick to fans

mhs004

It is everything SAO hopes to be and more. The story is aight but the action can get good and again like people have said it is actually like an MMO.

well, i dunno, that kind of statistic absolutely makes sense to me.

Yea, it makes sense if you think that in the first month many were invested in actually progressing up through floors and attempting to beat the game. Eventually most just idk gave up, and stayed in safe zones and waiting for someone else to beat the game.

As for Log Horizon, I like it cause while the characters may be equally OP, they aren't absolutely horrible, they also actually kept in the stuff that makes the idea of being trapped in an MMO actually interesting versus "If you die , you die permanently, so basically real life" and "everyone looks like they do in real life (not that that matters since everyone is still anime attractive), so basically real life...". So yea I am kinda comparing it to SAO, but I'd say it's interesting and very entertaining in its own right.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I dont compare log horizon to SAO, I dont even try to, I just enjoy the show as it is

While I would not have chose the DST shows, in the end, it's an hour that counts for nothing in the ratings, and we know the money's being spent elsewhere (Dandy and whatever else is coming in 2014).

It's not like Inuyasha last year which was something being added to the block, so why spend money (you don't likely have) to air something that will get you nothing in return?

And that's just the way I like it, at least when said fans are being dicks themselves.
I'm not saying fans are in the right but when you're in the position DeMarco is you have to take the high road instead of getting defensive and being a jerk to the people who support you

ckohler

It's not even an issue of "was it Toonami material". It (King Star King) was unwatchable and awful. It was repulsive and lacking any substance what-so-ever. It should never air on any channel ever.

It's not even an issue of "was it Toonami material". It (King Star King) was unwatchable and awful. It was repulsive and lacking any substance what-so-ever. It should never air on any channel ever.

Yea, if something is terrible and disgusting it doesnt really matter if it's appropriate for the block "action" cartoon wise or not.

Tenumi

Banned
Korgoth of Barbaria, however, I would legitimately watch that had it become a series. Felt like it had the right amount of ridiculousness, gore, and humor. It didn't shove it in your face and smear it like King Star King.

The problem is for every genuine fan who post something that is constructively critical there are 20 "this shit sucks" or "why did you air that garbage" that are basically just attacks. It's why being a manager of anything is so difficult, you basically have to treat everyone the same and all problems equally, which upsets some people.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is for every genuine fan who post something that is constructively critical there are 20 "this shit sucks" or "why did you air that garbage" that are basically just attacks. It's why being a manager of anything is so difficult, you basically have to treat everyone the same and all problems equally, which upsets some people.

My issue is mostly that Demarco is almost always preaching about ignoring haters or not giving fucks about people who put you down, but then he constantly gets into pissing matches with people he deems to be haters or putting him down.

Dude should listen to a few more TOM speeches, methinks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Watched 2 episodes of Log Horizon. Watching the next 2 in a bit. Basic SAO first 14 eps comparisons:

• Aww, these designs remind me of Class of Heroes X EVERYTHING. Green Headscraft + Orange Mantle girl really reminds me of Protag of Dark Cloud visually.
  • Super big guy, Super Strategic guy, Super Cute mini-Girl. Huge guy is instantly physically attracted to tiny girl who looks like a child. At least SAO's first "season" focused on attraction to generally more mature looking girls.
  • The pacing is worlds better, and this instantly feels more like a story put together by competent staff with experience. It's a well-worn story evolution style.
  • I actually prefer the way SAO would get stuff finished, and then explain it afterwards. It kept from breaking "in the moment" moments with too-much-talking bits.
  • Everything reminds me of Ragnarok Online, haha. I love the nods to vets having knowledge and rare items that have cycled out the game. It does feel a lot more natural.
  • The Guild Girls are... really... generic? "Ohhh, I like cute things!" "Oh I do too, but in a different way!" Marielle apparently also had her own "expansion pack". Why is big dude, admitted pervert, totally ignoring her desire to latch onto him> ENJOY THIS YOU MORON.
  • The characters have a nice wide field of inspiration. Close to how Shining games work. Beast, Elves, Gnome-looking peeps... it's great:) I wanna play this already.
  • "In other stories like this, if you die in the game, you die in real life!!"

This is fun so far, and feels much more... "honest" than SAO. It feels a little by the numbers, but lets just say... it has a lot more numbers to work with than SAO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom