• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One | Ryse - Brand new Direct Feed screenshots

Kup

I don't know... it has that, clean, empty look most launch title games suffer from.

I'll never forget Perfect Dark: Zero and its desire to have everything look... greasy and shiny.

Because there is low detail on basically everything,expected more.

Whoa, dude what you're seeing is nothing but the effects of the post processing and other effects. Low detail on everything, in THIS game?

I recommend downloading the 3 high quality videos in this post. Lighting and overall quality in this game is nothing short of impressive.

I don't know... it has that, clean, empty look most launch title games suffer from.

I'll never forget Perfect Dark: Zero and its desire to have everything look... greasy and shiny.

In that case, I have just the game for you: COD: Ghosts! lol. But seriously, I think what you're noticing has more to do with location than anything else. The forest and grassland areas are areas I wouldn't describe in similar terms. Far from empty, and definitely not greasy or shiny. Other than that, I think they nail a pretty convincing look to most of their levels shown so far. I don't know how much better they can handle the lighting and detail on that York location. In fact, the York location might be the shiniest one shown, and maybe the beach level, but the Palace looks the opposite of greasy or shiny. Probably not clean or empty either, what with all the enemies fighting even in the backgrounds and the mess from the various dead bodies and the catapult damage that destroyed statues and other things..

Warewolf

Beautiful. These static screens aren't doing it justice, you start to see things like clipping and repeated models when it isn't in motion. Not a big fan of the way enemies seem to be highlighted though. I didn't think ancient Rome had Glad Wrap.

Cuyejo

Hmmph.

Is this title using FXAA or is the scaling causing that blur?

More likely caused by the upscaling, and also the fact that this game uses a hell lot of post processing effects, motion blur particularly is too prominent.

Chobel

Don't see why it would be bad photoshop work, since it's exactly how the game looks. In fact, the game in motion actually looks better than all the provided screens, so I can't see why they would necessarily need to do any extra touchup work.

I'm not saying it's photoshop, and I'm pretty sure it's not photoshoped, it's just that particular pic looks very weird, and like papercut said it's probably because of the blur and DOF.

I actually think the images are more flattering than the videos in terms of IQ. I noticed a lot of shimmering/quite a bit of aliasing in the videos.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Image as a whole doesn't seem to have a strong blur to it. Are you referring to the character motion blur or the background depth of field?

I don't believe either. The whole image generally seems to lack sharpness. If the game doesn't use FXAA, then I think it's the scaling.

I think this shot is a good example

image_ryse_son_of_rome-23646-2061_0009.jpg

Everythings entirely still, yet things seem less detailed and more blurry than they should be.

Perhaps it's just JPEG compression losing details that's throwing me off but I'm not certain. It looks off.

Yeah, in motion the game looks pretty crisp and clean. Crytek have a done a much better job on consoles with this one than they did with Crysis games.

I don't believe either. The whole image generally seems to lack sharpness. If the game doesn't use FXAA, then I think it's the scaling.

I think this shot is a good example

Everythings entirely still, yet things seem less detailed and more blurry than they should be.

Perhaps it's just JPEG compression losing details that's throwing me off but I'm not certain. It looks off.

I suppose I see what you mean, but I actually think it looks kind of nice although some of that is just compression. Although the game is quite laden with post-processing everywhere. Keep in mind I use TXAA in games that have it to get rid of aliasing so that kind of subtle blur doesn't really bother me.

People should really download the videos I linked on the last page, look incredible.

I actually think the images are more flattering than the videos in terms of IQ. I noticed a lot of shimmering/quite a bit of aliasing in the videos.

Aliasing? Okay, we have definitely seen different videos haha. I see no signs of aliasing.

The game doesn't use FXAA.

It uses Crytek's own custom solution that combines SMAA and what they call a smarter temporal anti-aliasing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crytek-the-next-generation

For Ryse we developed our custom SMAA 1TX, in essence it is a combo of morphological AA with smarter temporal anti-aliasing. It's a new robust and fairly efficient technique which we shared some details about at Siggraph this year. It's a solution which deals with any signal input changes in order to smooth out potential shimmering during movement, while masking out any potential ghosting, and together with shading aliasing solutions it provides a more filmic image quality overall.

There is the reason for the film like appearance, and I personally feel they nailed it.

Technically I think it looks great, nice effects. Not to open a can of worms here, but would benefit from being sharper, as it's a bit blurry. But still, nice effects.

Grab those high quality vid, and watch on your big screen tvs, folks. I watched all 3 on my 50+ inch Samsung in my living room, and my goodness!

nib95

Banned
Aliasing? Okay, we have definitely seen different videos haha. I see no signs of aliasing.

The game doesn't use FXAA.

It uses Crytek's own custom solution that combines SMAA and what they call a smarter temporal anti-aliasing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crytek-the-next-generation

There's visible aliasing in the videos, slow down too...In-fact, there's a screenshot of one of the sections where slow down and aliasing is most visible. At the start of this segment, when the gameplay commences and he jumps down, the frame rate actually drops quite heavily.

image_ryse_son_of_rome-23646-2061_0009.jpg

Metfanant

game just seems so inconsistent to me...there are shots (that im told are legit gameplay) when i say "wow" and then there are shots (that i can clearly tell are gameplay) and i say "really?"

maybe im subconsciously negative because of the way that the news of 900p broke that makes me not trust everything i see from this game? im not sure...

Now in PNG format (more quality):

vlcsnap-2013-11-06-19h34m16s67_zps8b4a5296.png~original

vlcsnap-2013-11-06-19h27m32s96_zpsd5bf58d4.png~original

vlcsnap-2013-11-06-19h28m01s183_zps3d98998b.png~original

Almost zero aliasing.

See, this is what I'm talking about. This is what the game looks like in videos. This game does not, from all high quality videos put out, suffer from any serious or even minor signs of aliasing. It looks insanely clean, and I hope this kind of AA solution becomes more prominent on the system. I know some have pointed to stills, but stills don't tell you more than the videos, imo.

You mean launch right? Quantum break is way better.

I think that looks awesome, too, but, in fairness, we probably need to see it during straight up gameplay first. It wouldn't surprise me in the least, however. The artstyle that they appear to be using for Quantum Break is almost tailor made for people to go nuts over the graphics. It has a certain look to it that I find attractive. Also can't forget The Order 1866. That game looks quite amazing, too. Can't wait for videos.

Ishan

Sorry for the OT but man, that part in TLOU was where the framerate was at its worst. Pan the camera around and boom, 15fps. FU ND.

nothing against ryse. I hear its the best launch title graphics wise (even more than killzone) but comparing tlou to ryse is a super no no :) .... last gen vs next gen .... etc ... also this will lead to last of us bullshots like the beach footsteps etc ... a fairer comparision is uncharted 2 vs ryse.

nib95

Banned
Watching the video again, it seems most of the aliasing and shimmering is on distant background stuff (buildings, structures, statues etc). Up close and personal it looks very clean, when it starts zooming out and showing off some draw distance, jaggies start entering the fray. Must be some sort of adaptive AA solution or something.

Metfanant

i love the pic of him sneaking up on the barbarian in full on Lorica Segmentata like he is Solid Snake or Sam Fisher...dude would be clanking around like when you drop a plate in the kitchen in the middle of the night trying to grab a snack and wake the dead

Watching the video again, it seems most of the aliasing and shimmering is on distant background stuff (buildings, structures, statues etc). Up close and personal it looks very clean, when it starts zooming out and showing off some draw distance, jaggies start entering the fray. Must be some sort of adaptive AA solution or something.

That's what I noticed as well. The heavy use of Bokeh DoF was a great decision since it helps hide the jaggies on the more distant objects, which is where they're most visible. Of course the BDoF won't be static throughout the entire game, but when it's in good use, it obviously helps make the image look cleaner as a whole.

T.O.P

Banned
damn @_@

stil not totally sold on this, Ryse would have been a must, if launch day wasn't this busy already

Eyes must be going bad in your old age, nib :p Or maybe it's my eyes.

That's strange as hell, cause I can't see any aliasing at all, and I'm really looking for it, too. Even went closer to my screen than I would ever possibly go while playing a game. It's almost certainly some technique they're using. There was a spot during an execution on the palace footage where I thought I saw some aliasing way in the background, but then coming out of the execution, all of a sudden it looked crisp with zero aliasing. It's definitely some depth of field thing they're pulling or some kind of motion blur that gives the appearance of things in the background aliasing. It's something they're using, I think, to further highlight highlight the appearance of what's taking place in the foreground.

I wonder if maybe they're using the display planes and secretly rendering stuff way in the back at lower resolutions or something. Maybe that could be it, because that stuff still gets upscaled by the final output to 1080p. Each display plane can support up to 4 individual rectangles to piece together a whole image for the screen. Perhaps stuff further in the back is secretly run at a lower res on one of the other display planes, and any appearance of aliasing might be the result of that lower resolution image being upscaled to 1080p? Bah, I'm overthinking it. Whatever the case, it's damn hard to see, because I gotta go super, super close to even recognize any of it on my HDTV. At any rate, if it's there, it's the least distracting version of aliasing that I've ever seen, and I hope it gets used more often on the system lol.

nib95

Banned
Eyes must be going bad in your old age, nib :p

That's strange as hell, cause I can't see any aliasing at all, and I'm really looking for it, too.

I have pretty damn good eye sight dude. Being polite as I can, are you sure you're not the one, who....might need help in that department? You realise several others have mentioned the aliasing too, and it's clear as day in the screenshots as well? Start the video again and as soon as the gameplay begins, look to the buildings in the distance, statues etc. You'll notice jaggies and shimmering. Overall the game still looks really clean though, mainly only occurs when things open up in terms of scale.

First you claim Ryse has character models and visuals far beyond those from the Sorcerer PS4 demo, and now you're not able to see the jaggies that are obviously there lol. I worry about you Senjutsu....

I think some of the character models can match what is seen in the Dark Sorcerer, it's just not as exaggerated as the demo showing off facial animations/motion capture.

Without a doubt there is some aliasing in distant backgrounds, although I only really noticed it during the bit where's standing in front of that giant building. The actual models themselves and most foreground elements have an incredible level of clarity to me, really nice to see.

Ie, this screenshot

Metfanant

its easily the best looking launch game on the Xbone...i still think i give the edge to Killzone on the overall visuals front...but its damn close...

its clean as hell, its just not as crisp as when they first showed the game...i know they continue to feed us the "it was always 900p" stuff...but it doesn't taste right to me...the early footage was simply not running on hardware that accurately mirrored the Xbone's specs..

derFeef

maybe we should stop expecting aliasing-free games on our new consoles, that would be a good idea.
But the game looks very good IQ-wise in motion so I am not complaining.

KKRT00

Screenshots are 1080p, because game outputs in 1080p. It scales internally from 900p, so You cant have 900p screenshots.

Aliasing is a little worse in screenshots, because it lacks TAA component.
Same happened with latest Killzone:SF footage, it looked more clean in motion, than on stills.

Aliasing is a little worse in screenshots, because it lacks TAA component.
No, there would be no difference. Video is just a bunch of screenshots in a row, and these screenshots come from the high-bitrate videos. What you're describing is a viewer's perception that the aliasing is better in motion, due to persistence of vision as exploited by temporal AA methods.

HoodWinked

This is why the resolutiongate stuff is so hilarious im reading this thread and man the sheer lack of knowledge on most of the posts really does make me believe that so few are qualified to even speak to it.

someone even complaining about object based motion blur.... and bokeh.

Why are the direct feed shots 1920x1080?
cause the direct feed is 1080p. The frame buffer from the xbox is spitting out 1080p, the rendered scenes are likely 1600x900 rendered internally then upscaled with native 1920x1080 UI elements, the HUD isnt being upscaled.

come on guys this is fucking basic level stuff if you're going to talk about resolution shit.

also looking at the pics i think the majority of the HUD disappears when you're not in combat.

iVAF3pQa5qBSs.gif

Lmao at those guys waiting behind him patiently with their axes. Whats the point of fighting group enemies if they just come at you one by one?

KKRT00

No, there would be no difference. Video is just a bunch of screenshots in a row, and these screenshots come from the high-bitrate videos. What you're describing is a viewer's perception that the aliasing is better in motion, due to persistence of vision as exploited by temporal AA methods.

Those screenshots come from console framebuffer.
And You have frameblending with TAA component, so it uses information from earlier frame to blend with current frame, so You dont see that transition on screenshots [because You only see one result, not two blended], but in real-time it decreases aliasing.

Also, You have ton of new material to count :) Start with framegrabs from the videos.

---
iVAF3pQa5qBSs.gif

Lmao at those guys waiting behind him patiently with their axes. Whats the point of fighting group enemies if they just come at you one by one?

Again, show me game that does not uses this. Why are people complaining about things that are in every other games?

Top Bottom