• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Why wouldn't it feature jigglypuff? Proof that no other pokemon are in the game, or trick to make us think there are no other pokemon in the game?

Huh? What about neither. If Jigglypuff is in, it'll probably be an unlockable, and early events didn't feature any unlockables in Melee. Besides, there was a "Pokemon battle" event in melee, and it only featured Pikachu.

Perhaps it's you and a friend as Samus and Link versus Dark Samus and Dark Link for a light vs dark battle...

This will be awesome.

I really don't see how that's good at all. If the black Samus is really supposed to be Dark Samus, rather than just a shadow due to the sun light, that means a real "Dark Samus", either as a costume or a character, won't be in the game.

TreIII

Earthstrike said:
Why wouldn't it feature jigglypuff? Proof that no other pokemon are in the game, or trick to make us think there are no other pokemon in the game?

What's to stop them from having a "part 2/3/4" to the event, starring any and all Pokemon that may be in the game?

If any one ranging from Mewtwo, Purin/Puff and Lucario are in the game, then surely they could get starring roles in other events, with perhaps the other dudes in Pikachu's role instead.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
fantastic update, I have been waiting for this. Now all I need is board the platforms in co-op and online play with local co-op (two players on one machine in an online game.)

has board the platforms been confirmed yet?

If there was any doubt, this update confirmed Pokemon Trainer and Lucas as starters, as well. The former isn't much of a surprise though considering the box art.

It's looking more and more obvious with each update that everyone on the Dojo is from the starting line-up (minus Snake and Sonic, probably). And that we're not getting any characters recently because Sakurai doesn't want to reveal the unlockables yet.
scola said:
has board the platforms been confirmed yet?
Not yet, no.

But Sakurai is obviously going all-out with this game so you can bet on it.

For some reason I always took that comment made by [Solid Snake's VA] David Hayter as definitive proof that Jiggly is in. There really isn't any reason why they wouldn't include Jiggly in the game. David hasn't done VA for any of the other Smash Bros. games and I'm pretty sure he hasn't played them either, so why else would he mention Jigglypuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmxj-cly1Dk if you haven't seen it already.

I don't think anyone has pointed it out already - there would seem to be items in Target Smash:
various19_071217h-l.jpg

Fake Edit: Now that I look at the original Target Smash update, it looks like items were shown there, too. I just don't remember any kind of outcry about it, which seems strange.

Real Edit:
KevinCow said:
One the other hand, shiny Squirtle looks almost just like normal Squirtle:
007-m.png
007-m-1.png
It's hard to see in that sprite, but shiny Squirtle has a green shell.

Scalpel Knight said:
For some reason I always took that comment made by [Solid Snake's VA] David Hayter as definitive proof that Jiggly is in. There really isn't any reason why they wouldn't include Jiggly in the game. David hasn't done VA for any of the other Smash Bros. games and I'm pretty sure he hasn't played them either, so why else would he mention Jigglypuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmxj-cly1Dk if you haven't seen it already.

He does those codec scenes where Mei Ling, Otacon, and Roy Campbell relate to Snake about the other Smashers. If Jigglypuff's included, Hayter would have done a Codec scene involving her... it.... whatever gender it is...

Jetku

Since the pokemon trainer's outfit is green, along with Ivysaur and Charizard being green (you can see the green charizard in the small event pic), maybe there are several different color pallet swaps for the pokemon? Red, blue, green, black?

Sounds probable to me..and hopefully black is one of them.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
LouieGeetoo said:
I don't think anyone has pointed it out already - there would seem to be items in Target Smash:
various19_071217h-l.jpg

Actually, the main thing that no one seems to have pointed out about the target mode update.. it seems to confirm that there are no longer unique stages for every character? (Since you would be able to have any combination of characters as its co-op, right?)

I remember back in the original target mode update the update said something like "there are 3 or 4 stages" (I am too lazy to check). There was a lot of debate going on where one side thought it meant OVERALL, and the other thought it was per character... now it's looking more like the former :(

Although who knows, maybe co-op mode gets unique stages or something. Either way, co-op anything is awesome

Jiggy

Earthstrike said:
There were two Pokemon events in SSBM; one had only Pikachu and the other had only Pikachu and Pichu.
Edit: Three if you count the one with Jigglypuff and four wireframes acting as decoys to stop you from getting the legendary-only Poke Balls. Even then, Mewtwo was never heavily featured in a Pokemon-specific event, so it doesn't seem like any kind of trick to me.

TenshiOni said:
It's looking more and more obvious with each update that everyone on the Dojo is from the starting line-up (minus Snake and Sonic, probably). And that we're not getting any characters recently because Sakurai doesn't want to reveal the unlockables yet.
New unlockable character for the Christmas update, believe.

LouieGeetoo said:
Now that I look at the original Target Smash update, it looks like items were shown there, too. I just don't remember any kind of outcry about it, which seems strange.
Eh, there might be an outcry if they spawn randomly, but we're already used to fixed items in Stadium contests because of the Homerun Contest. Just gives people another tool to use...

Golden Darkness said:
He does those codec scenes where Mei Ling, Otacon, and Roy Campbell relate to Snake about the other Smashers. If Jigglypuff's included, Hayter would have done a Codec scene involving her... it.... whatever gender it is...
Speaking of this, it would be awesome if, for at least one out of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard, someone addresses how those species survive when they're 87.5% male. (75% female Jigglypuff also raises some questions, but not quite as many.)

MrCheez said:
Actually, the main thing that no one seems to have pointed out about the target mode update.. it seems to confirm that there are no longer unique stages for every character? (Since you would be able to have any combination of characters as its co-op, right?)
No, we knew about this

MrCheez

ShockingAlberto said:
No, we knew about this

I know, I'm saying this is more of a confirmation. Check the last half of my post .. we weren't 100% sure of the meaning of the original target smash update

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Speaking of this, it would be awesome if, for at least one out of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard, someone addresses how those species survive when they're 87.5% male. (75% female Jigglypuff also raises some questions, but not quite as many.)

*insert Ditto-related joke here* :D

But yeah, it would be funny if Snake was basically the main instigator for this game breaking the 4th wall and, otherwise, just poking fun at Nintendo's characters, simply because he could.

So I've been looking at that events picture.

I think I've figured out who the shadow images are. The one in front is obviously Samus, but I think last night we settled on Link for the other. Looking at it closer, it can't be.

739okkz.jpg

Blow it up larger if you need to.

Notice the two strands at the top of his head. It's the wind blowing a bandana up. The shadow is also not a human shape, since the cape is flowing away from the screen, obscuring the shape. Finally, there's a sword in his hand pointing left.

Ike and Samus are fighting something on Eldin Bridge.

NTom64

ShockingAlberto said:

I think I've figured out who the shadow images are. The one in front is obviously Samus, but I think last night we settled on Link for the other. Looking at it closer, it can't be.

739okkz.jpg

Notice the two strands at the top of his head. It's the wind blowing a bandana up. The shadow is also not a human shape, since the cape is flowing away from the screen, obscuring the shape. Finally, there's a sword in his hand pointing left.

Looks more like Link holding his sword up in the air, and the shield at his side to me(thus obscuring a portion of his body) but to each his own, I suppose.

MegaByte

NTom64 said:
Looks more like Link holding his sword up in the air, and the shield at his side to me(thus obscuring a portion of his body) but to each his own, I suppose.
Except you can see the sword to the left of the silhouette.

NTom64

MegaByte said:
Except you can see the sword to the left of the silhouette.

That's the background near the entrance to the bridge...

EDIT: Hmm...now that I look at it, it does look like a bandanna. Why would they black out Samus and Ike, though?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ShockingAlberto said:

739okkz.jpg

This is curious. You can clearly see the sword, so it's likely Ike or Link. The bandanna gives credence to the Ike idea... but what's the large bump on his side if not a shield?

When you factor in the fact that he and Samus are both shadowed out for presumably no reason, and that those aren't actual costumes for them... could the icon be shadowed out to hide the fact that the character in the back isn't Ike OR Link? Rather, someone with a sword, bandanna, AND shield?

???!?!??!?

I think the shadow is just for dramatic effect.

It's probably a mercenary mission, linking Ike and Samus similar to a bounty hunter mission for Samus and Falcon in Melee (though that was competitive, not co-op).

8f0zsxc.jpg

The sword definitely closes off at a point on the left side. It's a sword, not an entrance. I think the shield is just a cape flowing away from the camera, it's too round to be Link's.

link.jpg

Link's is angled at every end.

I dunno, at this point, I'd be willing to bet money it's Ike.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ShockingAlberto said:
The sword definitely closes off at a point on the left side. It's a sword, not an entrance. I think the shield is just a cape flowing away from the camera, it's too round to be Link's.

I dunno, that REALLY doesn't look like it could be his cape, from any conceivable angle.

ike.jpg

It's a pretty bizarre amalgamation of the characters in shadow-form!

MrCheez

What stage do you guys think ZSS and Samus are on in that image?

Edit: Err I mean ZSS and Zelda

MrCheez

ShockingAlberto said:
You mean Zelda?

Looks like Norfair to me.

Whoops, yeah I meant Zelda.

Might be Norfair... looks more orange than red, though. But Norfair would make sense considering Samus is featured in the event

Jiggy37 said:
What makes me think it's Link is that it's Bridge of Eldin and usually the event stages are chosen by what characters are in it
Far from always.

Battle of the Bounty Hunters in Melee, for example, took place in a Donkey Kong stage.

Sudden Death is just a Wario Ware stage.

All Mine, which has set characters, takes place on Angel Island.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Jiggy37 said:
The single-player counterpart event is probably Dark Link Duel.

Hm, that might make sense. A dark Link and dark Samus for players 1 and 2 to battle against with the non-dark equivalents.

That bandanna is still something, though...

...unless there's a tower with a ribbon-flag on it that happens to be right behind Link's head.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jiggy37 said:
What makes me think it's Link is that it's Bridge of Eldin and usually the event stages are chosen by what characters are in it: Delfino Plaza for Two Trouble Kings, Battleship Halberd for Pink Ball Repulsion, Yoshi's Story for Sleeping in the Eggs, etc.

And one more reason. :p

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various16.html

The single-player counterpart event is probably Dark Link Duel.
yeah, the two player looks like Dark Link and Dark Samus

MrCheez

various19_071217b-l.jpg

stage17_071109a-l.jpg

Hmm I'm not entirely sure it is Norfair. From what we've seen of Norfair it's much more red, and the background of the stage is a lot darker and not foggy like in the event image.

MrCheez said:
various19_071217b-l.jpg

stage17_071109a-l.jpg

Hmm I'm not entirely sure it is Norfair. From what we've seen of Norfair it's much more red, and the background of the stage is a lot darker and not foggy like in the event image.
It might just be at an odd time

stage17_071109e-l.jpg

It might also be another Metroid stage

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
Far from always.

Battle of the Bounty Hunters in Melee, for example, took place in a Donkey Kong stage.

Sudden Death is just a Wario Ware stage.

All Mine, which has set characters, takes place on Angel Island.
Yeah, not always, just usually. All Mine and the Sudden Death events are kind of interesting cases to me because they're based around a mechanic rather than a story/character theme.

MisterHero said:
I don't know if that's Link because if it were that picture has him looking RIGHT-handed.
Not if his back is turned to Samus, as she's turned to him.

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, not always, just usually. All Mine and the Sudden Death events are kind of interesting cases to me because they're based around a mechanic rather than a story/character theme.
I dunno, All Mine does sort of jive with the story.

Wario, at least, is known to be greedy. I can't remember if Bowser's ever had some financial schemes cooking, but he does like-a the treasure.

Jiggy

Maybe that ZSS/Zelda event is a second Zelda stage. The washed-out color reminds me of some parts of Twilight Princess.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think the shadow is just for dramatic effect.

It's probably a mercenary mission, linking Ike and Samus similar to a bounty hunter mission for Samus and Falcon in Melee (though that was competitive, not co-op).

Could be Link & Samus vs Dark Link and Dark Samus too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom