• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

-December 17th, the 150th day of updates, marks the beginning of the 31st week and brings with it the 182nd update overall.

-Game modes hit 24 updates (counting the stealth Replays) and finally surpass character profiles. Edit: Actually, they hit 26 because I've decided to include the stealth Coin Mode and co-op Target Smash as well. :p Of course, if Sakurai pulls a "Meta Knight's special moves" on us, then later I'll count out these stealths and only count the full-fledged updates.

-Trivia about game modes: 1) Three of the most recent four weeks began with a game mode. 2) Every one of the most recent six weeks has had at least one game mode. 3) November and December have, so far, been the providers of 11 (edit: 13) out of our 24 (edit: 26) game mode updates. 4) Each of the three weeks before this had at least two game modes. 5) Three weeks ago we had three!

-37 days of updates without a character, 28 days until the Japanese release date.

Dreavus

Iam Canadian said:
I also notice that despite the presence of alternate costumes for the Pokemon Trainer, the actual Pokemon's colours don't seem to differ much. That might get confusing in a battle with multiple Pokemon Trainers.

I see what you mean; that bulbasaur really doesn't look very different at all. It looks like his bulb is bright green/yellow but the core body colouring is very similar to the original.

Sciz

Four decent days of updates in a row. I believe we may have reached the end of the filler arc updates at long last.

As for the update, co-op modes are always a good thing. Still don't really care about Coin Brawl.

Fireblend

Banned
KevinCow said:
The portrait changes when you switch Pokemon, like when you're playing stock in Melee and you change from Zelda to Sheik, your little character pictures that show how much stock you have left change.

Something interesting about that picture, though:

Alternate Pokemon Trainer costume in the background. Yet Ivysaur looks no different from how he normally does.

Maybe it's using the default colors because there's no other Ivysaur around to mistake it with? I might be over analyzing it :p

Not only am I disappointed by the lack of a female trainer (come on Sakurai, the whole point of adding a female option was to make neither of them dominant over the other), but the lack of alt. costumes for the Pokémon. No shiny? Not even accessories?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
CoolS said:
I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet ^^

Welllll it might actually make sense. The "good updates" may be starting up again, as originally planned.

The delay was announced October 12. We started getting good, substantial updates again starting December 12 with the Options screen and the Ice Climber music. And the game was delayed about 2 months. Circumstantial evidence points to things getting back on track...

Here's to excitement at the Dojo again!! =D

BTW, have we seen Pikachu with the blue goggles as a Brawl alt. costume before?

various19_071217d-l.jpg

TreIII

More love for co-op. That's always a nice thing to see.

Though, I guess the only thing I wonder is if, the game will STILL require you to beat the Events in both single and co-op fashion, before saying you completed everything. Y'know, kinda like how you still had to figure out a means to beat the different arena challenges in Perfect Dark with every permutation between 1P and 4P modes... :lol

Chumly

Holy shit nice! Co-op Event mode that is unique!

EDIT: Having both coin mode and co-op in target smashed confirmed in addition is nice as well.

Jiggy

I can tell a lot of you aren't big Pokemon fans. :p [Edit: Actually, I guess maybe you'd think it could have just been the lighting that changed, so I shouldn't be too harsh.]

pokemon_trainer_070813c-l.jpg

This is normal Ivysaur: it's got a blue body, not a green one.

Sakurai, you cant give us game mode updates forever! Im getting sick of them no matter how good they are! Also, can someone blow up the pics from the event matches? What is the one with two shadowy figures?

Gaborn

Jiggy37 said:
-December 17th, the 150th day of updates, marks the beginning of the 31st week and brings with it the 182nd update overall.

-Game modes hit 24 updates (counting the stealth Replays) and finally surpass character profiles.

Since Sakurai chose to take time out of the update and mention the Target Smash as co-op. it might be fair to include it as a stealth update as well. I think it's justified because it's brand new info (unlike coin mode which is newly announced for brawl but was done in melee) similar to replay mode being new to brawl.

nice addition, not a bad update.

That reminds me, there are Coin battles this time around, too. When you launch an opponent, you collect their money. The player with the most money at the end wins.

coin battles won't be taking up an update slot it seems.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
I can tell a lot of you aren't big Pokemon fans. :p [Edit: Actually, I guess maybe you'd think it could have just been the lighting that changed, so I shouldn't be too harsh.]

pokemon_trainer_070813c-l.jpg

This is normal Ivysaur: it's got a blue body, not a green one.

Put side by side, they really do look different. I had thought it was just the lighting.

Hopefully, both female trainer alternates and Shiny colour schemes for the Pokemon are implemented; I really want to see Charizard's Shiny colours in Brawl. Heck, give the Shiny colours to the female trainer and I'll be very happy indeed.

Jiggy

A Link to the Snitch said:
Not only am I disappointed by the lack of a female trainer (come on Sakurai, the whole point of adding a female option was to make neither of them dominant over the other)
What really doesn't make sense to me is why they seriously named him "Pokemon Trainer" if there's no girl alternate. Just give him his canon name of Red and be done with it, I say.

But we've only seen one alternate, granted, so maybe there's still hope. At least they selected the correct Emerald colors...

Gaborn said:
Since Sakurai chose to take time out of the update and mention the Target Smash as co-op. it might be fair to include it as a stealth update as well. I think it's justified because it's brand new info (unlike coin mode which is newly announced for brawl but was done in melee) similar to replay mode being new to brawl.
I'm not counting it because it seems kind of minor to me--it would be like counting different difficulty settings as another story mode update.
I'm torn on what to do with Coin Mode, though.

Chumly

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
nice addition, not a bad update.

coin battles won't be taking up an update slot it seems.
Thank god for that. We already have enough bitching. I always find it nice when we have double updates or stealth add-in updates. That means we wont have to have individual updates for just those items.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Jiggy37 said:
What really doesn't make sense to me is why they seriously named him "Pokemon Trainer" if there's no girl alternate. Just give him his canon name of Red and be done with it, I say.

But we've only seen one alternate, granted, so maybe there's still hope. At least they selected the correct Emerald colors...

I'm not counting it because it seems kind of minor to me--it would be like counting different difficulty settings as another story mode update.
I'm torn on what to do with Coin Mode, though.

I think that coop target and coin modes are both stealth updates...

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I don't know, but the Ivysaur alternate doesn't really look like the Shiny scheme to me...I'd expect Shiny Ivysaur to be brighter than standard Ivysaur. Maybe it's just me, though.

Sakurai may let us slide with co-op break the targets, but I think we will see a full fledged coin mode update. Look at what he did with MetaKnight's special moves :|

boiled goose

good with gravy
hmmmm two interesting pictures.... the event with two dark figures looks like ike and

various19_071217b.jpg

???

The other one seems like diddy plus some kind of purple diddy and a monkey head in the background....

various19_071217a.jpg

someone post the pics and lets analyze

boiled goose

good with gravy
CoolS said:
various19_071217b-l.jpg

What are the two shadows on Event 5? The left one kinda looks like it could be Samus, but it's so big.

yeah... its samus kneeling....

i guess dedede confimed as starter???? he is in the first event!!!

CoolS said:
various19_071217b-l.jpg

What are the two shadows on Event 5? The left one kinda looks like it could be Samus, but it's so big.
No, it's definitely Samus. She's kneeling and facing toward the screen and someone (maybe Link?) is facing the other direction.

I think it's meant to invoke the anime style "running past each other and waiting for a dramatic reaction" scene that's in pretty much everything ever

Jiggy

Blew the shot up to 400%. Looks like Event 4 is something with Donkey and Diddy, 5 appears to be Samus and Link silhouettes, and 6 is Zero Suit Samus and Zelda.

Edit: The Charizard doesn't look black to me so much as some sort of brownish olive green ugly color. >_>

Stage On

It would have been mind blowing if it was online co op for event modes but I was almost expecting just normal 2 player co-op at this point anyhow so it's not such a big deal :(

Oh well it's not half bad comapried to some of what we've been getting lately so hopefully the rest of the week will pick up a bit.

Jiggy

I'm going to sleep for now, but not before tossing out a semi-random thought. Seven and a half weeks passed between the Target Smash update and finding out that it was co-op. Nine weeks passed between Subspace Emissary and finding out that it was co-op.

I wonder, in the end, how many weeks will have passed between being told that we'll be told later about powering up in Subspace Emissary and actually being told about it...

Dreavus

Jiggy37 said:
Blew the shot up to 400%. Looks like Event 4 is something with Donkey and Diddy, 5 appears to be Samus and Link silhouettes, and 6 is Zero Suit Samus and Zelda.

Edit: The Charizard doesn't look black to me so much as some sort of brownish olive green ugly color. >_>

Perhaps it's you and a friend as Samus and Link versus Dark Samus and Dark Link for a light vs dark battle...

This will be awesome.

Probably already been said but

Characters: Pokémon Trainer, Pikachu

This features Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Pikachu.
It’s a tag battle with pretty much equal teams!

Why wouldn't it feature jigglypuff? Proof that no other pokemon are in the game, or trick to make us think there are no other pokemon in the game?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Earthstrike said:
Probably already been said but

Why wouldn't it feature jigglypuff? Proof that no other pokemon are in the game, or trick to make us think there are no other pokemon in the game?

He is clever like that. wouldnt be surprised if there were other pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom