• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Doom was done today

daedalius

Holy shit, Dead Simple + Brutal Doom = amazing

In fact, the whole of the Doom 2 campaign has been pretty incredible so far. I don't even want to think about how hard 'Black Metal' difficulty is...

G-Fex

Holy shit, Dead Simple + Brutal Doom = amazing

In fact, the whole of the Doom 2 campaign has been pretty incredible so far. I don't even want to think about how hard 'Black Metal' difficulty is...

I'd say Brutal Doom really does well with slaughtermaps and all.

By the way have you guys tried the Resident Evil Mercenaries wad yet? it's very cool.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is the N64 version still the only way to get DOOM 64? Or did someone recreate it in the form of WADs?

Also, I still haven't touched my copies of Master Levels and Final DOOM. How hard are they compared to vanilla DOOM and DOOM II (played in zDOOM)?

Edit: Wow I forgot how high-res the sprites in DOOM 64 are.

Well, there's Doom 64 EX for PC.

I actually kind of forgot how WADs work. I bought the DOOM games on Steam and I went through some trickery with the files to get the Steam versions to boot into zDOOM. Not sure how I'd do that with a custom WAD.
DOOM 64 EX doesn't require DOOM wads or ZDoom or any ports. It has its own engine. All it requires is the WAD file from the N64 ROM of DOOM 64. Which you have to supply yourself. Once you have the ROM, there's a utility to extract the WAD from it. Then you're good to go. EX is 100% faithful to the original.

I introduced my friend to D64EX a while ago and watched him play through it on Twitch. It was awesome. He had never seen nor played DOOM 64 and until I told him about it he thought it was yet another DOOM port like the PlayStation port. Once he learned it was a completely new game he had to play it.

Also I still don't know why no one's made a custom WAD of Wolfenstein 3D. I know someone did like the first level or something.
You haven't been looking anywhere then. There's actually about a half dozen different total ports of Wolfenstein to the DOOM engine. Some faithful, others more artistic in their interpretations.

I play ZDoom on OS X and for some reason lighting is dithered badly and I don't get all the cool effects I see in so many videos of it. And now since I got my 15" rPro the slime textures are messed up. I don't understand why.

Vagabundo

Man those videos nail it, right down to the half-assed attempts at emotional interactive storytelling.

The main thing it highlights is how shitty it feels when a game tries to overtly control where you go and what buttons you can press. DOOM is a game that basically just drops you in and expects you to be able to find your way through levels designed to not be confusing. There are actually a handful of good linear, scripted shooters, but even those games trust you to be able to find your own way through those linear paths, or at least guide you in much more subtle ways.

It's like removing all the audiovisual flash that modern games bathe in reveals just how different they are from DOOM in terms of interaction.

The only modern FPSs that don't really suffer from this are open-world games like Borderlands and Far Cry. Far Cry 2, despite being incredibly flawed, took a massive step in a direction I wish the genre had followed. FC3 still has a lot of the same good qualities but threw a lot of modern game bullshit on top and made its main missions linear all over again.

Boom, head shot.

Two excellent games. Far Cry holds a special place in my fps heart; I would love spotting baddies from a distance and then working out interesting ways of killing them from far far away.

Crysis had a little Far Cry in it.

hlhbk

Brutal Doom is so good. I love Doom 1 and 2 in all it original but Brutal makes it more fun and by god so gory even ID Software likes it! Last time i looked he was working on Brutal Hexen..my body is ready.

Brutal Doom is terrible. Completely ruins the greatness that was the origional.

fatchris

The craziest part about Doom 1 is when you realize all of the strange geometry is supposed to be.. stuff. Tables, chairs, computers. It becomes all the more surreal when you add that to all of the bizarre environmental hazards in a controlled research lab.

Gameplay holds up today, and that's coming from someone who didn't really play shooters before Half-Life.

The appeal of Doom is that it is a maze and a survival at that as you balance your resources and try to make it out alive.

The last call of duty game I played was modern warfare and I loved playing multiplayer. The single player was just not compelling.

Doom is held up today because it's still playable today, well balanced and engaging.

Related to the videos I LOLed at "Taggart! Give us democracy! Rarrgghh!"

Watching the newest vid it doesn't look like I'm missing anything by not playing modern FPS games.
This all started with Quake 2 and unreal 1 and has only gotten worse over time.

Edit: do want brutalhexen

G-Fex

You know whoever recommended Wrack was right it's amazing and it's pretty much heavily inspired by DOOM. I love it a lot and it's been a blast so far.

I'd say even though it's been a while since I tried Hexen I'm going to say after beating 2 episodes so far that Heretic > Hexen.

Heretic is so damned awesome.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You know whoever recommended Wrack was right it's amazing and it's pretty much heavily inspired by DOOM. I love it a lot and it's been a blast so far.

I'd say even though it's been a while since I tried Hexen I'm going to say after beating 2 episodes so far that Heretic > Hexen.

Heretic is awesome. But Hexen brought so much to the table. A huge world with multiple hubs and puzzles galore that worked cross level. A real scripting system. All kinds of stuff. I actually prefer Hexen.
Brutal Doom is the awesomest Doom mod I've seen.

Here's a must see review of the mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzsG2sLc7dk

Brutal Doom from the doomguy's POV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKQSv8p9BXU
These are the best videos ever.

God I want Tripwire or Flying Wild Hog to make the next Doom and Quake games. After playing Rage and Doom 3 BFG my interest level in anything new from id has cratered.

Oh god, Tripwire & Doom would be godlike. Imagine the hunting shotgun & AA12 from Killing Floor in Doom

G-Fex

Heretic is awesome. But Hexen brought so much to the table. A huge world with multiple hubs and puzzles galore that worked cross level. A real scripting system. All kinds of stuff. I actually prefer Hexen.

These are the best videos ever.

I gotta retry Hexen soon. Almost everyone I know complains about the level design and everything.

It can't be at all absurd like Turok 1's level design which makes little to no sense.

Grayman

I picked up Wrack on early access after this thread as well. It is quite fun and the movement is very fast. Level design and item resources don't feel quite like Doom in the early levels, could change later though and the user made levels may go in that direction.

I should start playing my DOOM backlog on steam... never really played the games in depth before, only a random level here and there. I got into FPS games with Quake, so I was a bit late to the DOOM party.

Is zDOOM the definite DOOM mod? I want to experience the game as faithfully to the original release as possible, while adding some more modern config features (hi res textures I don't mind either if they're faithful)

wonzo

Banned
I should start playing my DOOM backlog on steam... never really played the games in depth before, only a random level here and there. I got into FPS games with Quake, so I was a bit late to the DOOM party.

Is zDOOM the definite DOOM mod? I want to experience the game as faithfully to the original release as possible, while adding some more modern config features (hi res textures I don't mind either if they're faithful)
http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Chocolate_Doom

The Tomb of Doom DLC pack moment actually made me briefly angry - not at the video - but how the practice was so recognisable in current generation games.

Brilliant, cutting video.

G-Fex

I picked up Wrack on early access after this thread as well. It is quite fun and the movement is very fast. Level design and item resources don't feel quite like Doom in the early levels, could change later though and the user made levels may go in that direction.

It definitely nails some things but I haven't gotten too far in, just reached the 2nd boss so far.

But I don't really like that RetroBlazer game. It's got some cool gameplay and gunplay but the level design is atrocious , I'm all for corridors but EVERY SINGLE corridor and level layout ALL looks exactly the same which really got my head hurting and multiple instances of getting lost. This is more inline with Wolfenstein 3D but at least Wolf 3D has a little distinctive environments.

But then again it's a work in progress I know.

Yes Chocolate Doom is probably the definite closest thing to vanilla.

If anyone likes I'd love to give you guys a good list of Doom Wads everyone should try. You can find them at Doomworld's id games database.

Alien Vendetta
Momento Mori
Momento Mori 2
Scythe 1-3
2002 A Doom Odyssey
community chest 1-4
Doom the way ID did
Doom 2 the way ID Did
Speed of Doom
Hell Revealed
Unholy Realms
Lunatic
Vanguard
Winter's fury
Frozen Time
Back to Saturn X
C.O.N.cerned

luka

Loves Robotech S1

You're good people. If you're gonna play Doom, you might as well play the real thing. :)

Additionally I'm going to again implore people who want to play Doom (or any game from the DOS era that uses General MIDI) to give the software synthesizer BASSMIDI a shot. Set up the driver, download a decent soundfont (this one is probably my favorite for GM games), and get blown away. It's fairly close to the way the tracks were originally composed on high-end MIDI hardware.

A lot of people will recommend rips of alternate cd soundtracks like the PSX version, which is great, but creepy ambient noise just doesn't match the pace and intensity of Doom. Other soundtracks like the 3DO version are much closer but don't even have arrangements for half of the maps from Doom 1, let alone 2. Soft synth is definitely the way to go!

I actually agree with you.

I third this.

I would give this a lot more credit if it was more than just banking on Gamer Rage to be funny. Someone in the comments section for Part 3 compared it to Airplane.

Airplane.

Airplane.

Editing was fucking superb though.

Sakujou

Banned
I actually agree with you.
If you think like this, why was doom back then, what cod is today for the industry?

Everyone back then tried to build something like doom.
Nowadays everyone wants a piece of the cod-cake.

In this case, you are wrong.

Doom showed clever leveldesign as well as how to introduce 3d to the 2d audience.

daedalius

Doom 2 with brutal doom is a terrifying experience.

The game is actually HARD, like, really HARD. Stuff I could see myself easily living through in vanilla is literally instant death in Brutal.

Its great. Double barreled shotgun is amazing.

Novocaine

Does that "return to the combat zone" shit really happen in these new FPS games? What kind of bullshit is that.

Do any of you guys remember Eternal Doom? Team TNT made it (Final Doom) and it's hard as balls.
If you have had any experience making Doom levels it's worth it just to see all of the crazy stuff they have pulled with glitches and the like.

wonzo

Banned
You're good people. If you're gonna play Doom, you might as well play the real thing. :)

Additionally I'm going to again implore people who want to play Doom (or any game from the DOS era that uses General MIDI) to give the software synthesizer BASSMIDI a shot. Set up the driver, download a decent soundfont (this one is probably my favorite for GM games), and get blown away. It's fairly close to the way the tracks were originally composed on high-end MIDI hardware.

A lot of people will recommend rips of alternate cd soundtracks like the PSX version, which is great, but creepy ambient noise just doesn't match the pace and intensity of Doom. Other soundtracks like the 3DO version are much closer but don't even have arrangements for half of the maps from Doom 1, let alone 2. Soft synth is definitely the way to go!
Thanks for the BASSMIDI reccomendation. Got that setup with the linked soundfont, booted up Hangar, and :OOOOOOOOOOO

GODLIKE

Accoun

Any previews/gameplay using it? I don't have Doom in handy ATM, sadly...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Any previews/gameplay using it? I don't have Doom in handy ATM, sadly...

i'm on my phone so i can't search for anything right now, but you can probably look for something related to doom and soundcanvas sc-55 on youtube for an idea of the difference a good synthesizer makes.

Ifrit

If anyone likes I'd love to give you guys a good list of Doom Wads everyone should try. You can find them at Doomworld's id games database.

Alien Vendetta
Momento Mori
Momento Mori 2
Scythe 1-3
2002 A Doom Odyssey
community chest 1-4
Doom the way ID did
Doom 2 the way ID Did
Speed of Doom
Hell Revealed
Unholy Realms
Lunatic
Vanguard
Winter's fury
Frozen Time
Back to Saturn X
C.O.N.cerned

Thanks for the list, I'll check some of them out.

But why did you left one of the best wads ever: Deus Vult 2?

RedSwirl

I chose to play it in zDOOM. It lets you choose how much you want to add onto the game. zDOOM at its core just updates DOOM with a more modern interface (standard WASD controls, mouse control, etc.) and let's you run the game at modern resolutions.

On the subject, you can run the Heretic games through zDOOM right?

Tain

I messed with zDoom a while ago to make Doom permadeath and loosely integrate the Oblige random map generator (basically adding options to the Doom main menu for a mode that uses randomly-generated episodes). Also made some new difficulty levels along with it. I think the permadeath factor changes the game for the better, personally. It adds loads of tension and fits well with how short and dense Doom playthroughs tend to be.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~tain/ManDoom/ if anybody's interested.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I chose to play it in zDOOM. It lets you choose how much you want to add onto the game. zDOOM at its core just updates DOOM with a more modern interface (standard WASD controls, mouse control, etc.) and let's you run the game at modern resolutions.

ZDoom can run any DOOM game.

DOOM (Including Ultimate and BFG Edition)
DOOM 2 (Including BFG)
TNT (Final DOOM)
Plutonia (Final DOOM)
Heretic (Including Shadows of the Serpent Riders)
Hexen (Including DeathKings of the Dark Citedel)
Strife (Yep)
Chex Quest (As well as the 2 PWAD)
Chex Quest 3
Numerous third party DOOM WAD games including Harmony
HacX
Probably more if they exist

Also, the nice thing about it is you can optionally turn on/off older compatibility issues (Like bugs and limitations the old engines had) so you can play it 100% vanilla or 100% modern or anywhere in between.

Also, anyone who loves DOOM should look up Knee Deep in ZDoom. It's a complete remake of episode 1 with more detailed reimagined levels. It's amazingly impressive and difficult even without Brutal DOOM installed.

I messed with zDoom a while ago to make Doom permadeath and loosely integrate the Oblige random map generator (basically adding options to the Doom main menu for a mode that uses randomly-generated episodes). Also made some new difficulty levels along with it. I think the permadeath factor changes the game for the better, personally. It adds loads of tension and fits well with how short and dense Doom playthroughs tend to be.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~tain/ManDoom/ if anybody's interested.

I've been meaning to play ManDoom ever since I first saw you post about it, today seems like as good a day as any to start since I've been playing Brutal Doom already.

Ifrit

Yes, and Hexen and Strife if you have those

Thanks for the kind comments and feedback, guys. I didn't even realize there was a thread about it here until someone pointed it out to me!

Top Bottom