• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One teardown reveals replaceable hard drive

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/21/xbox-one-teardown/

Engadget said:
Xbox One's 500GB HDD is a standard SATA II 2.5-in. (of the Samsung Spinpoint variety, with an 8MB cache). Sure, you'll have to pry open the system and carefully remove the Wifi and system speaker assembly to swap it out the HDD for a larger size, but if you're willing to void the warranty and get up in there, serious storage is at your fingertips.

Wonder if we'll be able to upgrade easily like PS3/4?

Easily? No, the article says as much from a physical standpoint and if MS follows 360 and Xbox then there's going to be ample software checks to prevent you from just dropping any ol HDD in there.

WalkMan

Banned
The question is, what's the file system on it? Do you have to specially format it like you did with the Xbox360 and even further what hard drives are compatible? I'm betting it's the same pain as the X360 HD upgrade.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Chances are like 360 this won't be necessary, most likely you will be able to use external storage(eventually) with X1, I see no reason why not two hard drives have more bandwith\IO than one.

holy crap. they have a turntable replica inside

E3vGmnPjieupNKR2.huge

It will definitely not be that easy. But might be hacked

Xbox OG also had standard IDE harddrive that was married to motherboard. It used a key to lock it. And was hacked with softmod so you could lock your own custom hd with the key of your motherboard.

Xbox 360 You had to use HDDhackr to get a security sector of retail drive on it.

DBT85

That you can change the drive was never in question. Clearly anyone can take the lid off and put a different drive in. a) it voids the warranty and b) we don't even know what will happen when you turn it all back on.

Omikaru

We don't even know if it will even recognise a plain HDD installed into the system, so it seems to be jumping the gun to say it's a replaceable hard drive.

Maybe like on the Xbox 360, it uses a proprietary filesystem, meaning we'll only be able to replace the drive with one of the same size that has had the data from one of the same size cloned onto it. Which means replacing the drive would be useless for anything but repairs.

I hope that's not the case, however. I'd actually consider opening one up to change the drive if it recognised larger ones.

KMS

Seriously doubt the console would work with a blank drive. Could you copy the default drive to another and get it to work somehow? Maybe :/

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
After looking at the first steps of the iFixit teardown, I wouldn't call anything I see really user replaceable.

ILoveBish

The hard drive is not user replaceable, it is married via keys to the motherboard. You can physically replace it, but it will never work. If your HDD dies on the xbone, you have to send it into microsoft to get it replaced. And if you are out of warranty, full priced repair. One has to wonder what will happen to the xbone if MS stops supporting it, and the hard drive dies on it.

B_Boss

MS Proprietary Firmware Hell v2.0

As far back as the Eurogamer feature when we were shown the internals of the earlier console, one could clearly see that the HDD could be replaced, it was just a matter of any firmware issues you may have to deal with a la 360 HDDs.

Warranty voided. No point.

Plus you will probably get banned if it can tell that you have installed a new storage device.
Knowing Microsoft this is my #1 concern. They will want to control the market as much as possible. If not from Live then the machine itself.

This is one area I'm very confused with.

Does the Xbone not allow an external Hard Drive for game downloads like the WiiU? I thought it did for some reason?

Top Bottom