• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akinola said:
Why the spiteful post, I just wanted people's opinions. If smash came out with a $60 price tag, everyone in this thread would still put down the money for it. I would too. In no way am I trying to degrade the quality.

But for some odd reason, I can imagine Sakurai saying in an update that the game will cost more than the MSRP being advertised. Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily.

December's been a good month for updates so far. I wonder what tomorrow will bring?
GAMES ARE NOT PRICED THE SAME IN JAPAN, YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND YEN CONVERSION, AND HOPEFULLY YOU FEEL AS STUPID AS YOU LOOK RIGHT NOW

Hm, shadow bugs...

It says that shadow bugs form primids. It seems that shadow bugs are the purple things around primids which the evil mastermind in the Subspace Emissary is using to create his army. So, can that be what we saw in the last trailer? Remember how Bowser and others were laughing evilly and with a purple glow? Well, they must be infected by the shadow bugs!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My only fear is being forced to carry a trophy stand through ungodly tough battles just to toss it at some impossiblely secret boss with only a single chance. missed....:sigh: restart.
Challenge meets frustration.

TreIII

Brandon F said:
My only fear is being forced to carry a trophy stand through ungodly tough battles just to toss it at some impossiblely secret boss with only a single chance. missed....:sigh: restart.
Challenge meets frustration.

On the other hand...that might be what Co-op Boss-Rush will serve for. :D

I would imagine it would be something like this. Any where in the boss battle (I'm betting like about half-way through), the Smash Stand/Trophy Stand will appear, but only once for that entire battle. Then it will just be a thing of trying to balance out between knocking the boss's health down to an acceptable rate, while trying to make sure the Stand doesn't disappear on you, so you can collect.

Obviously, having co-op would definitely be nice here, because then, once the stand appears, you can have one guy hang back and just spam projectiles all day, and wait for the other guy to work the boss's life down to the acceptable range for catching (which, if it's anything like Pokeyman's, will be within the 1-10% range).

Of course, how well you play with others will be an entirely different matter unto itself. :lol

USD

YOU TEACH ME AND I'LL TEACH YOU
SMASH BROTHEEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!
SMASH BROTHERS!
GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL
SMASH BROTHERS!

Jiggy

Chû Totoro said:
You know what, i'm not really in Smash Bros but i come here almost every day to see how will people react to the updates. And most of times there's so much fapping that even my hands are burning !
You should have been here for November. Lots of hate back then.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Did you doods notice that the Japanese version of the Dojo now has a picture of the boxart on the sidebar?

package.jpg

Same boxart that we've been seeing for the past two months.. only looks like the background is lighter with some clouds visible now.

Jiggy

NeonZ said:
Am I the only one who thinks "X" is a better subtitle than Brawl?
Nope. I like it too with the third-party crossovers, and also that "Melee" sounded better than "Brawl" whereas "X" is just an entirely different sort of subtitle aimed in a different direction...

NeonZ said:
Am I the only one who thinks "X" is a better subtitle than Brawl?
I don't know, the letter X is overused in advertising, at least here in the states. Besides, I think in Japanese, the X actually means "cross" which would make little sense at best.

Jiggy

Keru_Shiri said:
I don't know, the letter X is overused in advertising, at least here in the states. Besides, I think in Japanese, the X actually means "cross" which would make little sense at best.
Well, they could always call it Super Smash Bros. Ultra Super Deluxe or something. (Actually, I wonder if Sakurai was even asked about the KSS DS remake or if Nintendo came up with that title on its own...) Honestly, with all the content they're packing in, you could honestly say that title would make sense. :lol

i prefer the old trophy method. This seems like a bullshit way of extending gameplay. Replaying a boss over and over for no reason other than getting a trophy? How is this a good thing?

Milabrega

Suburban Cowboy said:
i prefer the old trophy method. This seems like a bullshit way of extending gameplay. Replaying a boss over and over for no reason other than getting a trophy? How is this a good thing?

The old Trophy method is still around, Pokeman Mode is only for subspace enemies. If the boss battles are fun and/or challenging replaying them should be a blast, perfecting them should be a blast, and trying to capture them should be a blast. Not to mention previous Kirby Boss Rush's has you pitted against boss after boss no resting/healing.

TreIII

Keru_Shiri said:

Not necessarily. "Cross" can imply how this game implies a lot of "cross"-overs. And with this game being the one that breaks down the barrier, and supposedly will allow some 3rd party content in the mix, I think it's only appropriate.

Besides, I think the overall title of "Dairantou Smash Bros. X" is snazzy. Or at least, I better get used to it, because that's what I'll be seeing everyday I put my copy in my JP Wii... :lol

Jiggy

Milabrega said:
Not to mention previous Kirby Boss Rush's has you pitted against boss after boss no resting/healing
Well, Kirby Super Star gave you a few Maxim Tomatoes to use when you wanted between the 19 bosses. ...Which is relevant to Brawl since SSBM used the same technique (and carried over the same Kirby Super Star music), three Heart Containers to use when you wanted between fights in All-Star Mode. So there's always the possibility that we'll get something similar.

TreIII

Holy Order Sol said:
Should have been Super Smash Bros. Third Strike.

With you having the name you have, I'm surprised you didn't support the notion of this game being called "Super Smash Bros. X". :lol

Pit: Your sin is beyond the grace of God!
Mario: God? I don't want anything with him! Heh...!
Pit: Shut up!

:lol

Jiggy

Predicting that tonight brings Zelda's final smash and the long-awaited Sonic stage.
Edit: And that it won't be Angel Island Zone, just to make our heads spin.

Proven

Jiggy37 said:
Predicting that tonight brings Zelda's final smash and the long-awaited Sonic stage.

I'm probably crazy for thinking this, but I doubt we'll see Zelda's Final Smash just because if Shiek's still in this game I see her being an FS transformation like Samus-ZeroSuitSamus.

But of course, this would only be acceptable if you had one more transformation Final Smash. That wasn't a lady or a conversion of a slower to faster character (might as well make this more than just a one character gimmick).

KevinCow

Banned
Brawl is better than X because you can just call the game "Brawl" and have everyone know exactly what game you're talking about, and not just which series, but exactly which game in the series. Whereas you have to say "Smash Bros. X" if you want to specify what game you're talking about that way. That's one syllable versus three syllables, or if you're Japanese and you want to say "Sumabura Ekkusu," six syllables. And I'm lazy. I'm all about using the shortest word possible.

Also, the letter X is overused and shitty.

Holy Order Sol said:
A slight tangent, but this makes me wonder how I'd feel if they did the typical fighting game route and released a rebalanced version of the game in a couple of years. Because on the one hand, I don't want to buy the game twice. But on the other hand, I don't want to wind up with a game that has a few stupidly overpowered characters like Marth, Sheik, Fox, and Falco in Melee.

Well, hopefully they just get it right the first time.

MisterHero

Holy Order Sol said:
Except people will pay attention to this one. :(

X as a Japanese suffix doesn't make sense to me. Melee is aka DX and it looks like Brawl is missing a D or something. :p

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
KevinCow said:
A slight tangent, but this makes me wonder how I'd feel if they did the typical fighting game route and released a rebalanced version of the game in a couple of years. Because on the one hand, I don't want to buy the game twice. But on the other hand, I don't want to wind up with a game that has a few stupidly overpowered characters like Marth, Sheik, Fox, and Falco in Melee.

Well, hopefully they just get it right the first time.

The nice thing is that with downloadable content, the concept of releasing rebalanced versions is effectively obsolete. After all, if Nintendo really had the inclination, they could just release patches online.

KevinCow

Banned
Iam Canadian said:
The nice thing is that with downloadable content, the concept of releasing rebalanced versions is effectively obsolete. After all, if Nintendo really had the inclination, they could just release patches online.
They could, and if this game was being released by Microsoft or Sony or most third-parties on the PS3 or 360, I'd think it was likely. But from Nintendo? Not so much. It seems so fucking obvious, and that's exactly why I don't think they'll do it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
KevinCow said:
They could, and if this game was being released by Microsoft or Sony or most third-parties on the PS3 or 360, I'd think it was likely. But from Nintendo? Not so much. It seems so fucking obvious, and that's exactly why I don't think they'll do it.

Hence, the word "if". Personally, I don't think that Nintendo would ever do something like that.

I know that Sakurai is amazing and incorporating things into Smash I thought I'd never see from Nintendo; the Stage Builder, the robust online features, and things like that. However, the game will belong to Nintendo after Sakurai's done with it, and I don't know if he'd have much, if any control over the game or any online updates after its release. With Sakurai, I'd say there might be an outside chance. With Nintendo, no way.

Meloche

Iam Canadian said:
I think I'd rather have a [somewhat] broken game than to have them release a patch a few years down the road, once I've gotten used to all the little quirks and balances of the various characters, and then be forced to completely relearn them all over again. And chances are, any single patch wouldn't be able to completely balance the game anyways.

If you look at the various territorial releases for Melee, they re-balanced the game for the PAL release. It's better, no question [from what I've read, at least... never having actually played the PAL version personally], but Fox/Marth/Sheik/Falco/Peach are all still overpowered to various degrees, and Kirby/Bowser/Pichu/Mewtwo still suck pretty hard. With new discoveries and strategies being discovered all the time, Nintendo would have to release a series of patches to be able to come at all close to 'balancing' the game, and frankly I think we're better of dealing with any brokenness than to have to constantly re-adjust to new changes made to the game. Especially in a game as competitive and precise as Smash is.

And all things considered, I doubt Brawl would be released at a point where it's unbalanced enough to warrant a patch to begin with. Yeah, tiers a pretty prevalent in the tournament scene and Fox is a monster, but it's not like there's one character that'll guarantee a victory in casual play, and even for tournaments they've never had to resort to banning any characters outright. Melee was more balanced than the original, and I'm sure they'll do a pretty good job again with Brawl.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:

I'm going to go with an Assist Trophy. Probably that girl from Drill Dozer, at long last.

Aras

Actually, this Xmas week has been a good updates week so I guess we are gonna have the newcomer shown on friday, and for tomorrow I predict an assist trophie to continue with this good update of today =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom