• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - New Footage - 2013-11-21

Looks great, as expected. I'm not even mad about the delay anymore. Only thing I'm worried about is six islands, but DKC2 only had 6 + Lost World and that was the best in the franchise

Do we have confirmation that there's a fourth character?

If there is, they could have a completely new Kong. Or Kiddy. Honestly, I'd be okay with either, as long as they play different from Donkey Kong. More variety is great.

jeffers

What time is the footage directly? Can't watch the whole video here at uni.

lol.

5:30 ish (after first ads) trinen is on and talking about it and over it.
edit: ends 8:40
edit: seems more later in... will update with that. <-- ok its after 2nd ad break. ends at 14:00

If there is, they could have a completely new Kong. Or Kiddy. Honestly, I'd be okay with either, as long as they play different from Donkey Kong. More variety is great.

If feel like, if there is, it's probably Cranky and he probably controls the same as Donkey.

TDLink

Yes they confirmed there will be a 4th character back at E3. They just haven't confirmed who it is yet.

Looks great, as expected. I'm not even mad about the delay anymore. Only thing I'm worried about is six islands, but DKC2 only had 6 + Lost World and that was the best in the franchise

Maybe they will take a page out of 3D World's book and remix all the levels after beating the game... Either way after seeing this footage any fears I had about the three leads from DKCR leaving have washed away, and the only concern now is the amount of content.

Yanikun

Banned
Finally a confirmation that the NFC chip wasn't for nothing. Pokemon Rumble U is a joke, they need something clever. Very excited to hear what they came up with.

Also, this video is going to reappear in a few years if 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. aren't in the top 10 of the gen.

Zalman

I don't think I can trust Reggie about a steady Wii U release schedule for next year.
It's not even 2014 yet and they already have 7 announced exclusives. I'm already satisfied with their lineup for next year, and they will surely announce more in the coming months.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I doubt Nintendo has much things in development that we don't know about. I gess the VGX thing will be a Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros. or Monolith Soft game trailer as they suit the audience watching the most.

As for DK, sounds pretty good, really curious to see the new levels.
That's not how that works, they should have multiple projects that have been greenlit that we don't know about yet, the U's 2nd year should be like the 3DS'

I don't think I can trust Reggie about a steady Wii U release schedule for next year.

Yep. They already are delaying DK to cover up that their first quarter is yet again empty as shit otherwise on WiiU next year. And the consequences of no future proof thinking during last gen will certainly be further apparent through the whole WiiU life, expect many more delays - especially for the first (somewhat) graphically impressive looking titles like Mario Kart and Xeno.
Reggie has also proven to know jackshit many times before, but how would he know development specifics anyway? Watch Nintendo not even showing up at the VGAs (condolences to anyone watching that in general, anyway), it was just his standard vague talking.

traveler

Not Wario
DKCR:TF and Bayo 2 alone would probably be better than the combined exclusives lineup from Sony and MS to me at this point. MK7, Yoshi, X, SMTxFE, Smash Bros, and anything else will be gravy at this point. Plus, Nintendo has generally announced things within the year of their release; we don't even know what else they have at this point, not that they even need it with their current lineup if all of those make next year.

jeffers

Yep. They already are delaying DK to cover up that their first quarter is yet again empty as shit otherwise on WiiU next year. And the consequences of no future proof thinking during last gen will certainly be further apparent through the whole WiiU life, expect many more delays - especially for the first (somewhat) graphically impressive looking titles like Mario Kart and Xeno.
Reggie has also proven to know jackshit many times before, but how would he know development specifics anyway? Watch Nintendo not even showing up at the VGAs (condolences to anyone watching that in general, anyway), it was just his standard vague talking.

props to not watching the clip (or not understanding conversational tone). I mean Geoff brought it up, then both were kinda smug... Obviously happening. also VGX.

DJIzana

It doesn't make sense for them to release 2 platforming games a month after each other.

You're likely right in the other areas though... they probably weren't ready with their other games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I doubt Nintendo has much things in development that we don't know about. I gess the VGX thing will be a Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros. or Monolith Soft game trailer as they suit the audience watching the most.

Well, we know that EAD team is working on something new and Miyamoto on a new IP. And Monolith Soft and Retro seems to be able to develop two titles in paralel, so there is a question mark regarding that too.

We know that there is another Sega (Sonic?) title as an exclusive in that 3 games deal. And we know that Nintendo announced more partnerships with 3rd parties on the model of Fire Emblem x SMT.

So there are number of possible 2014 titles that we don't know about.

Yanikun

Banned
It doesn't make sense for them to release 2 platforming games a month after each other.

Agreed. I wish they had something other than 3D World as far as less casual-focused titles go, but releasing a major Nintendo platformer in November and another major Nintendo platformer in December made no sense, I thought it was a waste of powerful IPs.

Moving DK to February is much better. January is the one month of the year where it's generally accepted that there shouldn't be a big release, considering everyone went bankrupt during the holiday season.

But they're gonna have to do better than the 3DS's second year for the Wii U in 2013 if they want to be forgiven for that terrible waste of a one-year headstart. Release unannounced mid-size games in between the AAA stuff. There should be something almost every month.

First-party-ish 3DS 2013:
January: /
February: Fire Emblem Awakening and Brain Age
March: Luigi's Mansion 2 and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
April: LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins
May: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
June: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
July: /
August: Mario and Luigi Dream Team
September: /
October: Pokemon X/Y and Sonic Lost World
November: Zelda Link Between Worlds and Mario Party Island Tour
December: /

Four months without retail first-party releases (unless I'm mistaken), but those gaps were also filled by third-party games of note and were also strategic, as they sometimes had more than one game per month, which they could have released in January, July, September or December if they felt those blanks needed to be filled, but didn't. The Wii U needs to have something similar to that in 2014. It's certainly possible that it will.

I've seen the bouncing type of level before, but the snow, fire, and minecart levels looked fantastic. Retro's dynamic levels combined with precision platforming looks on point.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Well, we know that EAD team is working on something new and Miyamoto on a new IP. And Monolith Soft and Retro seems to be able to develop two titles in paralel, so there is a question mark regarding that too.

Pretty sure we have a confirmation that Retro is only working on Donkey Kong. They could be lying, but that's what they said.

Hiltz

Retro Studios probably won't have a new game out until 2016. DKC: Returns had its development start in April 2008 and released on November 2010. Retro may have already begun brainstorming about what project it wants to do next (yes, probably Metroid-related). Metroid Prime 3 was in the middle of its development as of the second half of 2006 with the initial plan to have it released as a launch title. As for DKC: Tropical Freeze, by March 2011, Nintendo said Retro didn't have any current plans to do a sequel to DKC: Returns, but was open to the possibility.

Retro Studios probably won't have a new game out until 2016. DKC: Returns had its development start in April 2008 and released on November 2010. Retro may have already begun brainstorming about what project it wants to do next (yes, probably Metroid-related). Metroid Prime 3 was in the middle of its development as of the second half of 2006 with the initial plan to have it released as a launch title. As for DKC: Tropical Freeze, by March 2011, Nintendo said Retro didn't have any current plans to do a sequel to DKC: Returns, but was open to the possibility.

I'm guessing Metroid as well, but on a 2D plane with similar camera work to this new DKC. They would not have to build a new engine, and they have expertise in Metroid and 2(.5)D games. It would make the most sense. Other M also had the different camera angles going for it, and a strong foundation of gameplay for Retro to build on. I'd love for Retro to team up with Sakamoto and SPD1 to make the Ultimate spiritual sequel to Super Metroid.

props to not watching the clip (or not understanding conversational tone). I mean Geoff brought it up, then both were kinda smug... Obviously happening. also VGX.

I watched it, but it really wasn't that clear in the vid - it was how Reggie's always avoiding proper answers. I guess it's cleared up now, although I suggest not to expect mindblowing showings.

You're likely right in the other areas though... they probably weren't ready with their other games.

eh, I don't buy this excuse. WiiU isn't exactly in the position in which it could have ,,too many games'' of anything. They also had no problem releasing a bunch of minigame collections with the same (dead) audience in mind within 2 months or so.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

We know that there is another Sega (Sonic?) title as an exclusive in that 3 games deal. And we know that Nintendo announced more partnerships with 3rd parties on the model of Fire Emblem x SMT.

So there are number of possible 2014 titles that we don't know about.

This post that was ignored

Top Bottom