• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dismissal of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Never Forget
reggie_metroid.png
tumblr_o0tdd1xWcP1qlzef1o1_400.gif

ryechu

1) I have zero nostalgia for Donkey Kong Country in any way, shape, or form.
2) Super Mario 3d World is better by every metric so why wouldn't I just play that.

1) Based on what I've seen nostalgia typically hurts ones enjoyment of dkctf. Retro's and Rares DKC games are completely different in focus and atmosphere.

2) Different genres and also wrong.

Reminds of the terrible narrative of having to feel sorry for poor Retro being stuck having to make yet another DKCR game because evil, conservative Nintendo...

Shiggy and Father_Brain have suggested (here and here) that Miyamoto and Kelbaugh's statements -- which indicated that Retro themselves wanted to work on DKC again -- were likely just a form of PR spin, presumably aimed at the type of narrative you describe.

But while that type of narrative does indeed exist to some extent at places like GAF, I am skeptical of the notion that Nintendo itself would have perceived that type of narrative as widespread/problematic enough to merit a coordinated response from Miyamoto and Kelbaugh, which is why I'm still inclined to view their statements (from September 2013, indicating that Retro themselves wanted to work on DKC again) as straightforward, rather than as a form of PR spin.

joedick

A lot of people seem to be suggesting the number of platformers on the system played a part, but I don't believe that to be the case. If another studio was making DK:TF we wouldn't have heard a peep about it.

I think it's more of a 'Wind Waker' scenario. Nintendo fans wanted an exclusive 'mature' game on the Wii U instead of old ports of third party games. If Retro unveiled a non-platform style game with cartoony visuals, I believe there still would've been a backlash.

Lorcain

My kids and I really liked it, but we would end up playing Rayman Legends or Super Mario World instead because their co-op experiences were more fun.

TF is a great solo platformer that would do well (I think) with a Switch release. Everything about the game is high quality.

thumb

Banned
Shiggy and Father_Brain have suggested (here and here) that Miyamoto and Kelbaugh's statements -- which indicated that Retro themselves wanted to work on DKC again -- were likely just a form of PR spin, presumably aimed at the type of narrative you describe.

But while that type of narrative does indeed exist to some extent at places like GAF, I am skeptical of the notion that Nintendo itself would have perceived that type of narrative as widespread/problematic enough to merit a coordinated response from Miyamoto and Kelbaugh, which is why I'm still inclined to view their statements (from September 2013, indicating that Retro themselves wanted to work on DKC again) as straightforward, rather than as a form of PR spin.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that Retro made those statements to effect some PR spin. With that said, I'm not sure we can conclude anything at all from them. Retro is not going to go on record saying "we didn't want to make this game but we basically had to."

Again, that doesn't mean Retro had to. I'm not alleging that. Just that all of these PR statements mean little.

Nintendo usually gives its off-site studios and partners leeway.

Rare had gotten plenty of freedom back in the day, MonolithSoft does whatever it wants, no one tells TPC what to do really, and I'm sure Retro enjoys similar accommodations.

joedick

1) I have zero nostalgia for Donkey Kong Country in any way, shape, or form.
2) Super Mario 3d World is better by every metric so why wouldn't I just play that.

Metroid Prime is considered one of the best games ever, so why not play that instead of getting angry that a new one isn't being made?

Moff

I'm just not that much into 2d plattformers anymore unless they bring something really new and exciting to the table. I never played tropical freeze but the first one on the 3DS and I didn't play it far.

The idea that platforming is oversaturated when there are exponentially more shooters released every year is still baffling to me.

Also, the idea that platformers are "easy" to make, or that Retro didn't really want to work on a sequel to their best-selling game to date, are similarly bizarre to me.

ajjow

Um.... i have something against this game that it is hard to express

The 2d games are great when you have that moment that you feel that you are doing something great and you are overcoming the hardship of the platforming stages.

You have that at dk tropical freeze, but the enemies and last levels feels so bland. Sometimes it feels like playing the best levels of a franchise but theres a lack of cohesion. Its the same problem i had with dk returns.

The first three worlds are magnificent. Amazing! But in the end, the freezing enemies.. it feels soulless. Its like... i dont care about these monkies, because this enemies are stupid.

I believe that most people have no idea who the heck are the enemies. 2d platforms need a caractural, funny and strong bosses/enemies. The enemy design is so poor that it takes away the interest about playing the game.

The idea that platforming is oversaturated when there are exponentially more shooters released every year is still baffling to me.

It was for the Wii U at the time. We had more than enough colorful mascot platformers, and they were all either 2D, or of a similar philosophy to 2D platformers. I wanted evidence that Nintendo was going to push the Wii U with a varied library for varied tastes, and they simply didn't do that. Retro was perfect to do a darker toned game, which would have filled an empty niche for the Wii U, but instead they were making a 2D platformer on a console with far more than enough. It was disappointing, especially as a Metroid fan.

I bought the game that Christmas, loved it, and eventually beat it. It's a great game. But if Nintendo wanted the Wii U to actually succeed, it needed more than just platformers. It was a definite sign of the failure of the console as a whole.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I doubt I would play another DK game again - I didn't think it was that great at all.

I bought it because of because of all the praise, and achieved %100 on normal mode(I ignored the optional time trial mode).

I started Hard Mode with Dixie and played a few levels, then realized I didn't care for the game that much and sold it.

The difficulty was the best aspect about this game, but I didn't particularly enjoy much else.

The only two levels I had particular trouble with were the Rhinoceros level in World 2, Irate Eight, The fifth Kong level, and the Rocket ship level in the bonus world.

Bobopolis wasn't hard for me, but it was clever.
The worst level for me was the aforementioned ship one, because I didn't realize if you jumped on the ship, you retained your momentum.
I felt cheated, really.

It's ultimately too basic for me, even if it difficult - it didn't help that you were forced to play as DK I normal mode, who had absolutely no special properties.

Loading times were heavy, Coop was a unbalanced mess, and the Rocket Barrel levels and bonus minigames were repetitive and boring.

I actually thought the bosses were kinda fun, excluding the last one.
Fugu was my favorite.

I didn't care for most of the David Wise OST, I only remember three tracks now.

I'll admit is very solid for what it was, but I don't find it particularly memorable - not enough to recommend it anyone.

It honestly seems like a vocal minority of DK fans rush to defend this game as quickly as a voval minority of Metroids rush to to bash it.

Maybe I'm biased though, caused I'd take a New Retro Metroid game over a New Retro DK any day of the week.
:p

It's a good game, beautiful to look at, it's just too hard. I never finished it. I did beat DKCR on Wii and 3DS though, which I preferred through and through.

Would I prefer that Retro make another Metroid Prime game? Of course. Does that effect my take on Tropical Freeze either way? Nope.
Interesting. I think TF is much easier because of the other two Kong characters.

TF is brilliant, but it shines the most in time trial mode. Play that, trying to beat the gold times, and tell me it isn't amazingly crafted.

ldar247

Banned
I didn't play it until recently and it was alright, liked it about as much as the other DKC games, but the thing is I didn't want another fucking 2D platformer from a team that's known for their 3D action adventure games. It was a complete waste and I hope Nintendo lets Retro work on something more substantial next time.

andymcc

Banned
it's a better game than all of the other non-retro DKC games combined.

I'd play it over any of the Prime games too tbh

Dantrist

I loved the game.

But the announcement was a big disappointment for me.
Not because I needed it to be Metroid and not because I dislike DK, but because I simply didn't like the fact that after all that waiting it wasn't a different project than the last.

poodaddy

I didn't play it until recently and it was alright, liked it about as much as the other DKC games, but the thing is I didn't want another fucking 2D platformer from a team that's known for their 3D action adventure games. It was a complete waste and I hope Nintendo lets Retro work on something more substantial next time.
How is it a waste if their 2D platformer is an amazingly well crafted game? How is a 3D game "more substantial"?

TheFuzz

I'll be absolutely shocked if the virtual console doesn't include some Wii U titles like this and SM3DW. It's easy money for Nintendo.

TheFuzz

Don't worry. It will be considered the greatest title ever when it hits the Switch. Like other WiiU games.

This comment doesn't make sense. The Wii U has a legitimate claim to a few of its titles being the greatest entries in their respective series. Being a total flop shouldn't discount how good software is. See: MK8.

Mr-Joker

Banned
People dismissed it because they are silly and Retro Studio is free to work on whatever game they want to work on.

At least after the sales numbers of Tropical Freeze Retro knows they shouldn't waste any more time with the franchise.

Tropical Freeze sold 1 million copies and was on a toxic system, it would sell gangbuster if it was released on the Switch.

More so than any future Metroid game.

I didn't play it until recently and it was alright, liked it about as much as the other DKC games, but the thing is I didn't want another fucking 2D platformer from a team that's known for their 3D action adventure games.

This team has proven their 2D design acumen to such an extent that it's what they deserve to be known for. I'd rather they developed a 2D Metroid than a 3D anything.

fhqwhgads

And then the oh-so-misunderstood game came out to bad reviews and sold like shit because barely anyone wanted to play it.

Federation Force deserves a defense force the same way The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII deserve a defense force.
It's not about the quality of the game, it's the reaction. If you're getting THAT angry over a video game that you're going to use such overblown language and make it your mission to hate the game, then you should probably stop playing video games for a while because you've got anger management problems.

People dismissed it because they are silly and Retro Studio is free to work on whatever game they want to work on.

Tropical Freeze sold 1 million copies and was on a toxic system, it would sell gangbuster if it was released on the Switch.

More so than any future Metroid game.

TF sold 1 million???

I thought it bombed for some reason. Can I see the receipts?

It'd be depressing as hell if it did bomb. It really stands alone as the GOAT 2D platformer to me.

the shit that someone says when discussing subjects of little real world consequence on the internet (like the quality of a video game) isn't always a reflection of who they are in the real world.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It's a good game, beautiful to look at, it's just too hard. I never finished it. I did beat DKCR on Wii and 3DS though, which I preferred through and through.

Would I prefer that Retro make another Metroid Prime game? Of course. Does that effect my take on Tropical Freeze either way? Nope.

Yeah, this. It's extremely difficult and I stopped playing fairly early into the game. I don't have a high opinion of it, as a result.

Gator86

I don't remember there even being that huge a backlash. It just seems like DK:TF fans struggle with the fact that other people aren't as hype on the game as them. So less unstoppable internet fury and more "why don't you like my thing as much as I do?!"

Camaway2

It was a very good game, but hardly ground breaking. It felt more like the HD version of the Wii predecessor.
I enjoyed it but it didn't blow me away.

This comment doesn't make sense. The Wii U has a legitimate claim to a few of its titles being the greatest entries in their respective series. Being a total flop shouldn't discount how good software is. See: MK8.

The WiiU had some of the best games i've played this gen and ever. This was certainly one of them.
People missed out on those games. That's all i meant.

fhqwhgads

the shit that someone says when discussing subjects of little real world consequence on the internet (like the quality of a video game) isn't always a reflection of who they are in the real world.
You post on a public forum where anyone can see your posts, it doesn't validate acting like you're a 12 year old on GameFAQS. It's 2017 and rampant fanboyism is far from the best way to contribute to a discussion. You look at an angry hate filled post and regardless of anonymity, you think "Wow, this person is kind of a dick"

kswiston

TF sold 1 million???

I thought it bombed for some reason. Can I see the receipts?

It'd be depressing as hell if it did bomb. It really stands alone as the GOAT 2D platformer to me.

It's all relative. Donkey Kong Country Returns moved 6.5M units on the Wii. The 3DS port moved 1.75M copies.

The Wii U definitely held software back, but you can't explain all of that drop away to differing install bases. Donkey Kong Country went from selling half of Smash on Wii to a fifth of Smash on Wii U.

daTRUballin

I don't remember there even being that huge a backlash. It just seems like DK:TF fans struggle with the fact that other people aren't as hype on the game as them. So less unstoppable internet fury and more "why don't you like my thing as much as I do?!"

I don't think you've ever read the legendary "Fucking Donkey Kong" thread then.

Rambler

I wonder if the backlash would have been as bad if the 2D Metroid people didn't drop the ball in the worst way imaginable when they took the series back.

It wasn't nearly this bad when the first DKCR got revealed right? I don't remember.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There are lots of 2D platformers... plenty of which are already on the WiiU. There's really nothing like Metroid Prime out there. People wanted to see something unique like that from Retro.

Of course, Tropical Freeze went on to become my favorite platformer ever, so... I guess they didn't do too badly, regardless.

sphinx

the piano man
I blame metroid fans for the backlash in gaf specifically.

I think that over time animosity between Metroid (prime) fans and nintendo grew too strong.

think of it this way: retro reached god-tier status with Metroid so basically Retro's fanbase is effectively Metroid's Fanbase, it goes hand in hand.

when DKCR was announced most retro fans were either confused or downright unhappy, because instead of getting a "beefy hardcore dudebro adventure/shooter" or whatever, they got a colorful 2D platformer....

that basically alienated the existing retro/metroid fanbase

what would have happened with Bungie if instead of Destiny, they'd had released a colorful platformer after building up a fanbase that is pretty much Halo fans only?? yep, most would have said "oh come one, fuck off, you gotta be kidding me".

so after alienating the fanbase, nintendo doubled down with another game in the series, which the fanbase, already bitter and angry, took as some sort of provocation. "oh you wanted something else? something more mature, epic and hardcore? how about another sequel to that game you didn't want in the first place, take that mother fucker".

there is a reason a mod in this forum wrote "another fucking donkey kong" when it was announced,

Kneefoil

This is the first I've ever heard of there being a lot of criticism towards this game. I remember there being almost universal praise for it when it was released. I must've been a part of some very different communities than you lot.

Anyway, I personally found the game to be pretty boring when I played it some years back. I enjoyed Returns more in spite of the forced motion controls. Really, the only way the game managed to impress me was with its presentation - primarily the attention to detail and contextual design.

Top Bottom