• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dismissal of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Brickhunt

Regardless of its extremely quality. Tropical Freeze was one more 2D platform game in a console that was several lacking genre diversity at the time of its release. I bet that if it was a 3D Donkey Kong, the reception would be warmer.

I'm not against Retro doing one more Donkey Kong, but from a strategic point of view, I don't think their next game should be 2D platformer.

Rambler

It's really gonna suck if Nintendo reads things the wrong way like they usually do, and banishes DK back to experimental sidegame hell.

Macka

As someone else said - we already had New Super Mario Bros. U on the system. Hell, we already had New Super Luigi U by that point. We had Rayman Origins (Edit: and Legends, too). We already knew Yarn Yoshi and Super Mario 3D World were coming. The latter was even revealed alongside DKRTF.

Another 2D platformer was the last genre we really needed at that point, especially from a premier Nintendo developer known for their quality 3D games.

requiem02

Banned
The entire saga of DKCTF is utterly tragic. Retro created one of the best 2D platformers of all time, and it was completely buried thanks to the circumstances of its release. I actually think it still could have flourished on the Wii U like Sm4sh, Mario Maker etc if it was released after the onslaught of platformers had somewhat passed and the first/second party lineup had diversified a little. If there's one Wii U game that deserves a second chance on Switch, it's this one.

Its a really fun game with a great OST. But Retro has to gave Donkey Kong a break though.

It doesn't. It as simple as this: Metroid had three installments with Retro Studios, each one worse than the previous one and with the last one showing a worrisome lack of ideas. Most of the Metroid Prime staff is now in Armature, while there are several Nintendo studios that handled Metroid in the past and could still work in the series.

On the other hand, DK has only two installments with Retro Studios, the second being better than the first one and showing an amazing creativeness in terms of characters, stage hazards and world ambientation. They proved to understand the 2D platformers like no one else in the industry and other studios that handled the franchise like Paon or EAD Tokyo did a poor job with the games they made or demonstrated not to understand what DKC was about.

Why does DK deserve a break with two games but it is imperative that Metroid has four one? The Switch doesn't have any 2D platformers announced and if there is one series that has made the genre feel modern and justified, is this. DKC fans didn't receive a new game for almost 15 years. And they have better sales.

Mediking

It doesn't. It as simple as this: Metroid had three installments with Retro Studios, each one worse than the previous one and with the last one showing a worrisome lack of ideas. Most of the Metroid Prime staff is now in Armature.

DK has only two installments with Retro Studios, the second being better than the first one and showing an amazing creativeness in terms of characters, stage hazards and world ambientation.

Why does DK deserve a break with two games but it is imperative that Metroid has four one? The Switch doesn't have any 2D platformers announced and if there is one series that has made the genre feel modern and justified, is this. DKC fans didn't receive a new game for almost 15 years.

I understand that but there was just too many 2D platformers going around to not feel burnt out. I still bought the game on Wii U. It was great.

Nanashrew

Banned
Maybe I didn't lurk hard enough in 2014, but were Nintendo fans really that harsh on it?

I honestly need to get this game, it's like the last big Wii U game I would get for the console but I just don't feel like booting it up much these days.

Oh yes. And people were so blinded by things, that Nibel once posted a Donkey Kong fansite in a Retro speculation thread and said the next game would be Donkey Kong, people threw fits. They did not even see the blatant URL right in the screenshot and link, they just saw the website and raged, and got angry.

Sammy Samusu has the most famous thread on GAF that created the "fucking Donkey Kong" meme http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583571

The rage still continues to this day.

It's a really great game though. Now among my top favorite platformers cause it feels great, plays great and the level design is top notch. Not to mention David Wise coming back to do music for the game.

Bedlam

Nintendo really has to re-release this game on the Switch.

I bought and finished it on WiiU, would do it all over again on Switch.

It's pretty frustrating that the game never really received the kind of praise and word of mouth that it deserved. A good example for me is always the ignorance on display within the Giantbomb crew (sans Dan) for this game. At some point it actually felt like they wanted to not like it out of spite because people kept nagging them with how great this game is (and I'm not one of the "Jeff is jaded" etc. screamers). Just last week they talked about highlights of the WiiU library on the Bombcast and they never even mentioned this game. Brad still thinks 3D World is the best platformer on the console when DKC:TF is leagues ahead of it in terms of overall quality (I know, somewhat awkward comparison with 2D vs 3D, but still).

Overall DKC:TF is in my opinion the best game on the WiiU. Ahead of games such as Bayonetta 2, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3 (which are all great too) and especially SM3DW (which is merely "good"). It definitely deserves another shot on the Switch.

rjc571

Banned
Revisionist history? Hilarious. Waggle to roll was an abomination - anecdotally my siblings and gaming friends found it intolerable. You may have liked it, tho in my view it was simply another case of Nintendo forcing their gimmick of the moment on the fanbase (much like StarFox Zero.)

As convincing as your anecdote is, it doesn't overwrite the scores of positive feedback Returns received which led Retro to create Tropical Freeze for Wii U, with the option to use the same control scheme as Returns.

It's a great game. I would love to see another DK on the Switch - seems tailor-made for it. Just don't drown the system on 2D platformers like it happened at some point with the WiiU

As someone else said - we already had New Super Mario Bros. U on the system. Hell, we already had New Super Luigi U by that point. We had Rayman Origins. We already knew Yarn Yoshi and Super Mario 3D World were coming. The latter was even revealed alongside DKRTF.

Another 2D platformer was the last genre we really needed at that point, especially from a premier Nintendo developer known for their quality 3D games.

Not at all. I will always need more 2D platformers.

I get diversity of games, but it's hard for me to hate since almost all of those Wii U platformers were amazingly good. Mario/Luigi U, Rayman, and Tropical Freeze were all astounding. TF being the best of all.

Would love to hear what top 3 platformers of all time are from people who appreciate TF.

Rambler

The unnecessary oversecrecy that Nintendo made over Retro's Wii U project really alienated the interest for this game, which was a shame, because it's awesome, but Nintendo really dropped the ball with how they handled it, as it took a major blow into the franchise as well. The best they should do is to remaster it to Switch, which probably will respark the interest for it.
There was nothing to gain out of treating the existence of a Donkey Kong sequel like a matter of national security, I don't know what Nintendo was thinking.

WillyFive

It was a very fine game with wonderful soundtrack, but it wasn't the best 2D platformer on Wii U (Rayman was better at everything it did in every way), and it was not what audiences wanted Retro to do. It was just a title that lacked purpose or a market.

Bedlam

Would love to hear what top 3 platformers of all time are from people who appreciate TF.
Rayman Origins (not Legends) is within my top 3 platformers among DKC:TF. Not sure about the third game yet... some classics that do come to mind and that I really appreciate through nostalgia goggles actually haven't aged that well when I honestly think about it.

It was a very fine game with wonderful soundtrack, but it wasn't the best 2D platformer on Wii U (Rayman was better at everything it did in every way), and it was not what audiences wanted Retro to do. It was just a title that lacked purpose or a market.
Rayman Legends was a step down from Origins. And DKC:TF > Rayman Origins (only slightly, both are great).

boiled goose

good with gravy
As convincing as your anecdote is, it doesn't overwrite the scores of positive feedback Returns received which led Retro to create Tropical Freeze for Wii U, with the option to use the same control scheme as Returns.

The mandatory waggle to roll controls were always unnecessary and horrible.

You liking them and then being adequate doesn't mean there shouldn't be other options.

LeleSocho

Banned
Here my hot takes:

Retro made it, i wanted to see something else from them and that doesn't mean necessarily Metroid.
Lack of Kremlings, we know that they are still a Nintendo property because they have appeared in games after they sold Rare so i don't understand why would they discard and replace them with the very dumb looking enemies in the Retro made entries of the franchise.
After the humorous and kinda darker tones rebirth of the franchise under Rare the happy-go-lucky version of Retro makes me groan.

I played Returns and it was an objectively good game and i'm sure TF is as good or even better but those games were not what i was searching for from neither the franchise nor the developer.

Macka

Most of the Metroid Prime staff is now in Armature, while there are several Nintendo studios that handled Metroid in the past and could still work in the series.
That isn't true. There was a reddit thread recently about this. Of the ~70 employees Retro has, 39 of them have worked on the Metroid Prime series.

Not at all. I will always need more 2D platformers.
Sure, but I think it's reasonable for many people not to have felt the same.

Heyt

Banned
It doesn't. It as simple as this: Metroid had three installments with Retro Studios, each one worse than the previous one and with the last one showing a worrisome lack of ideas. Most of the Metroid Prime staff is now in Armature, while there are several Nintendo studios that handled Metroid in the past and could still work in the series.

On the other hand, DK has only two installments with Retro Studios, the second being better than the first one and showing an amazing creativeness in terms of characters, stage hazards and world ambientation. They proved to understand the 2D platformers like no one else in the industry and other studios that handled the franchise like Paon or EAD Tokyo did a poor job with the games they made or demonstrated not to understand what DKC was about.

The base asumption that if they don't work on DK they'll work on Metroid is flawed. I don't think they should stick with DK, but I don't think that means they have to go back to Metroid either. If anything, they have proven time and time again that they are capable of nailing different types of games on the first try. I would have them do as many types of different games as possible that are able of being uplifted by Retro's expertise (and by that I mean games that highly focus on the mostly one player and that have huge emphasis on level design, not doing sport and MMO games all of a sudden for diversity's sake).

Even if they go back to Metroid that game could benefit of what they learned and what creativity is still left for DK if they focus it correctly... namely, in 2D.

I understand that you are a huge DK fan and want the series perpetuated into eternity with the quality the latest titles have, but I think I will be more interesting and exciting for everyone to see Retro evolve once again. DK can also be developed excellenty by other developers (and so is Metroid).

One thing that DK gave retro over Metroid are sales. That much is very, very clear. I don't think they're doing Metroid or DK again but ir clearly is going to be something more easily marketeable like DK. Or not as hard to sell as Metroid.

New brah Tropical Freeze was better in every way and the music was so damn better than Rayman.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Why does DK deserve a break with two games but it is imperative that Metroid has four one? The Switch doesn't have any 2D platformers announced and if there is one series that has made the genre feel modern and justified, is this. DKC fans didn't receive a new game for almost 15 years. And they have better sales.

But once you get past the presentation the first game was better?

Macka

I don't think that's reasonable at all.
Well...then I think you're being unreasonable.

The Wii U was released in November 2012. By E3 2013, there were already three quality 2D platformers on the system, with another four announced. Obviously this wasn't an issue for you as you love the genre, but are you seriously going to say that it was unreasonable for other people to be disappointed by this news?

We were very early in the Wii U's life at that point. There needed to be much more genre diversity.

I mean, if they released it on Switch, it would be a check in the box for me to buy one. I forget whether or not I picked it up via Club Nintendo, but I would have zero issue buying it. It's a tough, fun platformer with a fantastic soundtrack.

Well...then I think you're being unreasonable.

The Wii U was released in November 2012. By E3 2013, there were already three quality 2D platformers on the system, with another four announced. Obviously this wasn't an issue for you as you love the genre, but are you seriously going to say that it was unreasonable for other people to be disappointed by this news?

We were very early in the Wii U's life at that point. There needed to be much more genre diversity.

Yes I would because seven games isn't some humongous amount of games like you seem to want to pretend like it is. There were already quite a few other games on the system that didn't fall into the 2D platformer category.

It's fine that you simply don't like Donkey Kong or platformers, but there were people back then and right now in this thread acting like Retro is somehow 'above' creating those kinds of games. That is unreasonable.
They act like Retro and Nintendo killed their moms when they decided they wanted to make a Donkey Kong instead of another Metroid.

Macka

Yes I would because seven games isn't some humongous amount of games like you seem to want to pretend like it is. There were already quite a few other games on the system that didn't fall into the 2D platformer category.
The system had been out for less than a year. This is also a Nintendo platform we are talking about. 3rd party support wasn't filling any gaps in genres. The only other big games at that point on the Wii U were Wind Waker HD (a port), Pikmin 3 (which has never been a big series, really) and The Wonderful 101, which was again pretty divisive.

Can you imagine if by the end of this year, the only Switch games we had were Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Diddy Kong Racing, Fast RMX, F-Zero, Sonic Kart Racing, etc? People would be saying the same damn thing. Seven games WAS a huge amount of games at that point in time.

I get diversity of games, but it's hard for me to hate since almost all of those Wii U platformers were amazingly good. Mario/Luigi U, Rayman, and Tropical Freeze were all astounding. TF being the best of all.

Tropical Freeze, Rayman Origins, DKC2 Diddy Kongs Quest

Tropical Freeze was a brilliant game and quite possibly the greatest 2d platformer ever made. I think I've gone through it about 3 times now and still find it amazing.

The level design, the variety, the music, the setpiece moments that you don't usually see in a 2d game. Just beautiful stuff.

Screw anyone who complained about it because they wanted Retro to make another game we already got 3 of on the gamecube/Wii.

Hell, make another DK. Complete the trilogy Retro.

Serge85

Tropical Freeze is one of THE best 2D platformer of all time.

according to vg chartz, (yes I know, but if someone knows up to date numbers please post them) it sold about 1.62 Million, making it the 12 best selling game in the console( Mario 3D world sold about 4.68 Mill).

Those numbers in the doomed Wii U ain't so bad, now for some comparison, Metroid Prime 3 sold 1.79 million in the Wii , Other M 1.35 Mill in a userbase of what...100 Millions console?

Donkey Kong sells more, Nintendo should port Tropical Freeze to the switch, and bring on Donkey Kong Country Returns 3!

VDenter

Banned
To be fair sure this game was having a lukewarm reception on the reveal but it was not dismissed. If you want to see games that got huge disapproval (rightfully so) It was games like Federation Force,Amiibo Festival and Color Splash.

If we're talking about 2D Platformers specifically, my favorites are:

1. Tropical Freeze
2. Diddy's Kong Quest
3. Yoshi's Island

Haven't played the Rayman series yet though.

Mugy

If you guys aren't playing this game, you are missing some really amazing. For me is the best Wii U game, next only to MK8 and Bayonetta 2

Its that good

StarPhlox

I think the conclusion of this thread is that Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was not dismissed at all.

While everybody is posting their favorite 2D platformers of all time let me add:

1) Tropical Freeze
2) Super Mario Bros. 3
3) Mega Man X
4) Rayman Legends
5) Shovel Knight

ghibli99

It's strange to read people saying that the Wii U didn't need another 2D platformer, as if the alternate scenario of Tropical Freeze not being developed at all would somehow be better. This baffles me. I know people are saying, "They should have done something else," but had it been an original IP, do you really expect me to believe that there wouldn't be mountains of crap being flung about it not being a Metroid Prime or F-Zero? C'mon now.

Lady Gaia

It was and still is a brilliant game in a genre with declining influence on a platform that failed to get traction, saddled with an awkward controller. Now stir in the disappointment at never getting a proper Metroid title for the Wii U. Is it really all that surprising that there was a lot of negativity?

KJRS_1993

I feel like how overlooked this game was directly related to how bad the Wii U was.

When there's a Switch port, I'd definitely consider picking it up (when I do eventually replace my 3DS).

It was and still is a brilliant game in a genre with declining influence on a platform that failed to get traction, saddled with an awkward controller. Now stir in the disappointment at never getting a proper Metroid title for the Wii U. Is it really all that surprising that there was a lot of negativity?

What awkward controller? DKCTF had four controller options, two of them without waggle.

Effect

That isn't true. There was a reddit thread recently about this. Of the ~70 employees Retro has, 39 of them have worked on the Metroid Prime series.

Sure, but I think it's reasonable for many people not to have felt the same.

This. A few of the leads made Armature have leaving or being fried (this happen around the same time of the Infinity Ward firings but didn't get a lot of attention I believe) from Retro but was pretty much it. The a lot of the developers from Retro that worked on the Metroid games are still at Retro.

Top Bottom