• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

justchris

Dreavus said:
This update is good, but it comes at a terrible price!

Maybe now I can get a little more sleep?

"This update is good, but it comes with a terrible curse."
"That's bad."
"It also comes with free dlc."
"That's good."
"The dlc is also cursed."
"That's bad."
"But it has online play."
"That's good."
"The online play requires friend codes."
"Uhhhh...."
"That's bad."
"Can I go now?"

swerve

The Share update seems to suggest that although data from friends is auto-downloaded, the Nintendo daily updates etc are not. Perhaps they changed their minds about auto-sending when they considered how much it would hurt their servers, considering the millions of prospective sales.

I was looking forward to a new stage every day without having to think about getting it, but I guess it's fair enough that they don't waste the bandwidth on days that I don't play the game.

Heh. Like there'll be days when I don't play the game!

A week without updates? Well, I guess even Sakurai has to rest. I'll still check this thread every day though, just 'cause I love you guys. Well, most of you anyway.

As for Share, what all data do we know about, will Nintendo send us? We know about featured stages, spectator matches, and I believe screenshots are also going to be sent, but what do you think the chances will be that we may recieve patches or additional content as well?

Ydahs

Not a bad update. Seems like a fun new item.

"All seven languages of Smash Bros. Dojo will take a year-end holiday break from posting following 28th December. We plan to resume posts on 7th January.

Have a happy new year!"

Boo.

EDIT: Jan 7th Prediction - Online Leaderboards. Believe.

CassSept

Quite nice update.
But new year break :(
Ive thought this thread will reach 1000 (500?) pages before 2008, but it wont, damn you Sakurai >_>

Speevy

Banned
Does anyone have an estimation of how many "knowns" there are left to reveal?

In other words, we're certain there are final smashes, special moves, etc. for each character.

How many weeks will be eaten by what we already know is coming?

Nintaiyo

How hard would it be to get a week's worth of updates ready and update them from your house or set them to be automatically updated. This is a scapegoat, GAF; they're running out of updates to show! All because of the February delay.

Not that it matters. I'm leaving on a week long trip on the 28th. :D Thanks, Sakurai; you rock.

Jiggy

-Dragoon and Share together form the 29th double+ update.

-Game modes hit 30 updates while items hit 14, but nothing's changing there in the hierarchy--game modes are still way out in front while items are still solidly in the middle. >_>

-The Kirby series advances to 14 updates, pulling ahead of Mario again while starting to approach Pokemon's tyrannical 16.

-46 days without a character, 19 days of updates weekdays and 14 days of updates until the Japanese release date.

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
So I guess we won't get to 1000 before 2008, then. :(
Pretty much. :( Unless we somehow pull together and find something or other to talk about while still remaining on-topic. Outlook? Eh, not likely. >_>

Actually, though, I'm not convinced we would have made it to 1000 before 2008 anyway. If the thread had continued growing at the Novembust rates after page 900 (21 days passed between page 800 and 900, I believe, but right now I'm too tired to go back and search for my previous post on that or even to type the thread title and its proper page into the browser), we would have hit 1000 as of the end of December 27th in Pacific time. Considering that we're 21 pages away, we already experienced a significant slowdown that can probably be attributed to the holidays.

Speevy said:

In other words, we're certain there are final smashes, special moves, etc. for each character.

Series without a character profile: Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Nintendo DS
Characters without a final smash: Snake, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus
Series without a stage: F-Zero, Sonic
Series without music: F-Zero, Mario, Nintendo DS
Characters without special moves: Pikachu, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, Ice Climbers

However, it's worth noting that if these were each a single update, there literally wouldn't be enough time before the Japanese release date for all of these to get filled up. That logic holds even if you take out the potential character profiles.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Todays update was pretty decent. The dragoon looks like a good item.

Shame that there wont be any updates for a week though :(

KevinCow

Banned
I wonder if the Dragoon is replacing the Warp Star? It seems to function pretty similarly, except for the fact that you have to collect the three items to use it.

HotByCold said:
Did anyone notice that none of the European sites have a release date listed and that UK site don't have an Wifi icon like the rest?

Thats because it doesn't have a release date yet, as for the Wi-Fi I'm sure i've seen it on the site before(unless I went to the US site by mistake) but youre right its not there now.

nli10

Jiggy37 said:
Pretty much. :( Unless we somehow pull together and find something or other to talk about while still remaining on-topic. Outlook? Eh, not likely. >_>
note likely and not worth spamming up the thread for - if they release it it will grow... :D

Jiggy37 said:
Series without a character profile: Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Nintendo DS
Characters without a final smash: Snake, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus
Series without a stage: F-Zero, Sonic
Series without music: F-Zero, Mario, Nintendo DS
Characters without special moves: Pikachu, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, Ice Climbers

However, it's worth noting that if these were each a single update, there literally wouldn't be enough time before the Japanese release date for all of these to get filled up. That logic holds even if you take out the potential character profiles.

So that settles it for me - F-Zero is no longer a 'starting' franchise! That takes us from 19 to 16.

Also I think we will have a single "returning characters special moves" update day that covers Pikachu, DK, Yoshi, Bowser, Peach, Ice-Climbers dropping us to 11 updates. (these can be done in depth post release).

I don't think that the 'DS' is the real category for that stage and Still believe that the final pre-release character announced will be Mii, this goes with the touch generations/casual/Pictochat category quite nicely.

As for Ani Cross I think that the character for this (possibly the generic one for the game with changable clothes / gender and using the tools from the game) will be hiddden. Has any character in smash had stages announced but been hidden before?

This leaves a more manageable 10 updates, leaving slots for more cool new modes and the trophy display methods. Also I think hiding a bit more away so that new characters can take the spotlights and older characters can be rediscovered would be quite fun.

Just my 2p worth...

NTom64

KevinCow said:
I wonder if the Dragoon is replacing the Warp Star? It seems to function pretty similarly, except for the fact that you have to collect the three items to use it.

The Warp Star was in Sonic's intro vid.

Metal B

A few more impressions from the Brawl demo at Jump Festa. Reader Doctor Hair was nice enough to translate some bits for us. The info comes from a Japanese Brawl blog. Looks like a character from Galaxy will be getting in on the AT action!

- Kirby feels more like his N64 counterpart
- The Pokemon Trainer shouts out the names of the Pokemon he uses
- Duster (Mother 3) and Rosalina are assist trophies
- Sandbag is an item

Yeah, some SMG love =)

Akinola

Speevy said:

There will always be more unknowns than what we can assume. There were a lot of new things discovered for Melee in this year, as compared to the generic stuff from

I can see it now, when we actually play for ourselves, it'll be better than any dojo update Sakurai can muster. That is the day when all our patience will bear fruit--the sweet delicious, nutritious fruit that is Brawl. For playing is believing.

What is the Dragoon from?

Also, is this new Share application similar to the way that Halo 3's File Share works. If so, that is pretty freaking awesome.

Akinola

Some relevant news via DIGG

http://www.wiipals.net/Forum/showthread.php?p=200592#post200592

wiipals.net said:
Japanese sources have confirmed that Super Smash Brothers Brawl is now on the printing press.
Grab those Brawl Friend Codes and get ready for some action this February!

SmashBrothersBrawlFriendCodes.JPG

This picture is proof that the game is finished and on its way.
For those of you not familiar with the term; a game "Goes Gold" when the master
disc (or a copy that is completely ready for shipment) is sent to the printing press to make copies. Meaning that development stage of the game is officially over and done!

This means LEAKS-A-PLENTY!
The game is out of the hands on Nintendo of Japan and the potential for information about the game to leak out is substantial.

BS? I wish there was more evidence

Proven

So this is it huh? This is as far as this thread can go before major spoilers spill everywhere starting after, or even possibly this, holiday season?

It was good knowing you guys.

monkey79

Rumor Time!

I dunno if this has been posted but Smash was playable at Jump Fiesta in Japan. The SmashBoards are reporting that
Duster (mother 3) and Rosalina (Mario Galaxy)
are assist trophies.

EDIT: Nevermind, its already been posted...

Insaniac

Okay so i'll repost my question now that the post-update rush is over

Do we know if Wi-Fi supports at least 2 players per console yet? I'd assume for at least play w/ friends or 2v2 it'd be there.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Insaniac said:
Okay so i'll repost my question now that the post-update rush is over

Do we know if Wi-Fi supports at least 2 players per console yet? I'd assume for at least play w/ friends or 2v2 it'd be there.

We don't know yet :( I really really hope so

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Sciz said:
Jiggy could always total up the number of screenshots or words on the dojo.

You know he'd do it, too.

I don't begrudge Sakurai this break: heaven knows he's earned it.

He actually made a cool item update as well.

Jiggy

It's true, I never got around to counting the number of times a character appeared in a screenshot on the Dojo. Maybe I could also do some stat where the number of appearances is divided by the number of days since they had been revealed on the Dojo, and/or relate that somehow to the number of other characters and thus the level of competition they had for screen time. I'd have to ponder exactly how to do that, though.

I won't be doing any of this. :p

Edit:

Proven said:
So this is it huh? This is as far as this thread can go before major spoilers spill everywhere starting after, or even possibly this, holiday season?

Well, you never know. Maybe somehow nothing will get leaked, and/or there'll be people who somehow miss the inevitable thread that grows quick as lightning if stuff does[/u] get leaked.

Oh, and music/trailers can't be leaked, so there are always those updates to look forward to. I guess.

HURGHT said:
Doesn't the next week of updates after the break give us update #200? Hopefully there'll be something cool in there.
It'll get us to 199 if there are only single updates throughout the week. So I suppose we'd better hope for at least one double update. >_>

Baryn

Banned
This daily update site has been kind of a game in itself. I expect more development teams to do this, in more interesting, game-like ways.

Also: You think the team might be adding features just so that they have more material for the site?

Jiggy

Baryn said:
You think the team might be adding features just so that they have more material for the site?
Well, absolutely not in present-tense since the game has gone gold already. Even in the past, though, I doubt they programmed content simply to be able to put more stuff up on the Dojo.

Fireblend

Banned

No! This thread can't die before reaching 1000 pages!

Just 970 posts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom