• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

I'm now using Excel to tally the number of times characters appeared in screenshots.

As of the end of May, when there were only nine characters known (E3 2006, Nintendo World 2006) and only two of them had profiles on the Dojo, we'd seen Mario 23 times, Link 13, Pikachu 5, Kirby 2, Meta Knight 2, Pit 8, Zero Suit Samus 0, Wario 13, Snake 0, and Fox 6. (The other characters not being known yet.)

I already feel lonely without updates and it hasn't even been long enough that we would've been getting one yet. :(

Meloche

nli10 said:
Wasn't MewTwo's place in the game the place of the character that you unlocked last after having lots and lots of play time (or leaving the machine on overnight like me!)? Couldn't Lucario take this place and Mewtwo still be a playable character unlocked in a different way?
Game and Watch was last character you unlocked... not really sure how some people are saying that they unlocked Mewtwo after him unless the faqs I'm looking at as well as what I remember of my first few weeks of the game are completely wrong:

Jigglypuff -- 50 VS Matches
Dr Mario -- 100 VS Matches
Pichu -- 200 VS Matches
Falco -- 300 VS Matches
Marth -- 400 VS Matches
Young Link -- 500 VS Matches
Ganondorf -- 600 VS Matches
Mewtwo -- 700 VS Matches
Luigi -- 800 VS Matches
Roy -- 900 VS Matches
Mr. Game & Watch -- 1000 VS Matches

Alternatively, Mewtwo can be unlocked by having a combined VS Play total of 20 hours [i.e. leave your game on in a VS match for 20 hours with one controller plugged in, 10 hours with two controllers plugged in... 5 hours with four controllers plugged in]. Mr. Game & Watch can also be unlocked by beating Classic Mode, Adventure Mode, or Target Test with all 24 other characters.

Actually if you lose a challenge after X number of VS Matches, will the newcomer re-challenge after the next Versus match? Because if they don't, then I can see how it'd be possible for you to unlock someone other than Game and Watch last. Otherwise, I'm stumped. You need all the other characters unlocked in order to unlock G&W the non-Versus Mode way, and if you play 1000 VS Matches to get him you should get the rest of them along the way as well.

I guess this kind of raises the question of 'which character would be a cool final unlockable for Brawl?' Mr. Game & Watch was awesome for this because he's totally unexpected and a perfect ode to old-school Nintendo, but I don't think it'd be as cool of a final character unlock the second time around. Maybe a new third party character, or someone as unbelievably obscure as G&W? I know Sakurai said that most of the characters would be unlocked via SSE, but that still leaves room for a few characters being unlockable via some more obscure ways, like how Luigi could be unlocked by finishing the first Adventure Mode stage with a certain time left on the clock.

monkey79

Meloche said:
I guess this kind of raises the question of 'which character would be a cool final unlockable for Brawl?' Mr. Game & Watch was awesome for this because he's totally unexpected and a perfect ode to old-school Nintendo, but I don't think it'd be as cool of a final character unlock the second time around. Maybe a new third party character, or someone as unbelievably obscure as G&W? I know Sakurai said that most of the characters would be unlocked via SSE, but that still leaves room for a few characters being unlockable via some more obscure ways, like how Luigi could be unlocked by finishing the first Adventure Mode stage with a certain time left on the clock.

Dog from Duck Hunt

Proven

At least for characters like Marth, who was unlocked by playing a VS. match with every character in the starting 14 roster, you could just hop into another VS. match and replay him. He was one of the few characters that I lost to the first time, simply because my brother and I were trying out random characters to see who we forgot to play as to have never unlocked him, and I happened to win the match so he challenged me. We then quickly did another match and I played as Link simply to beat him swordsman to swordsman.

CassSept

Firestorm said:
I'd do anything to have Missingno in a Pokeball =( The worst thing it ever did to me (spelled that mew somehow) is screw up my Hall of Fame as well. What was the other Pokemon you guys saw when you were finding Missingno btw? For me it was always LV180+ Charmeleon >_>
Got lots of LV150+ Golducks

Got it on Red, which, after getting 150 pokemons in Blue, was my testing field for glitches. Caught Mew (and cloned in Gold for all other versions), Missingno, and visited Glitch City there:D
RB were bugged as hell, but damn, there are some good memories with the bugs (and furhter "tricks", Pikablu, PokeGods, truck near S.S.Anne:lol )

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
CassSept said:
Got lots of LV150+ Golducks

Got it on Red, which, after getting 150 pokemons in Blue, was my testing field for glitches. Caught Mew (and cloned in Gold for all other versions), Missingno, and visited Glitch City there:D
RB were bugged as hell, but damn, there are some good memories with the bugs (and furhter "tricks", Pikablu, PokeGods, truck near S.S.Anne:lol )

Yeah, good times :lol

Jiggy

It's complete. Here's the number of times each character has appeared in a screenshot on the Dojo, with a couple disclaimers at the end.

Mario - 181
Kirby - 121
Wario - 96
Link - 81
Fox - 75
Yoshi - 68
Pit - 64
Samus - 59
Pikachu - 58
Meta Knight - 57
Ike - 56
Diddy Kong - 52
Donkey Kong - 52
Pokemon Trainer (all) - 52*
Zero Suit Samus - 48
Peach - 47
Lucas - 41
Bowser - 39
Snake - 37
King Dedede - 36
Zelda - 35
Sonic - 27
Pokemon Trainer (trainer) - 20
Ice Climbers - 19
Pokemon Trainer (Charizard) - 14
Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur) - 10
Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle) - 9

*The full Pokemon Trainer count is tilted a bit in their favor, since it counts shots with both the trainer and a Pokemon as two, but I wouldn't count a screenshot of (for example) two Links as two for Link.

Disclaimers:
-Character profile pictures don't count because they're not screenshots. If you want them to, just add one to each character. :p
-If a screenshot was split, but one file, I counted it as one. The split shot in The Basic Rules only counts as one each for Mario and Link, and the four-way shot in Four Special Move Types only counts as one for Meta Knight. However, the three-way shot in Snake: Special Moves counts as three because there are three separate files.
-Movies don't count, but still screenshots of movies (e.g. the whole This World... update) count.
-Stickers in the Stickers update count.
-Trophies count.
-The Landmaster counts as Fox.
-The individual snapshots in one of the screenshots in Taking Snapshots are counted, although I couldn't figure out who the first snapshot in the last screenshot was. >_>
-I also couldn't figure out who got frozen in Ice Climbers: Final Smash.
-Character pictures from a screenshot of a game menu count. (e.g. Lucas is selected in the Handicap update.)
-The off-screen Lucas who just got KOed in Co-op Events isn't counted, while the about-to-be-KOed and difficult-to-see Pit in the same update is.
-Screenshots of screenshots that are being shared in the Share update are counted.
-Screenshots of the menu selections for Event matches aren't counted.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
See, guys, I told you he'd do it.

But seriously, Jiggy, you're completely insane. And completely awesome. I salute you, sir.

Teasel

the one frozen in lucas special moves is clearly sonic
the two guys frozen in the ice climber update i believe one is ike and the other might be donkey kong but i'm not sure on these

Jiggy

Added one for Sonic, then. :D

Other random "fun" stats:

-Kirby is the easy king of number of screenshot appearances in a single update, at 19 with his hat blowout, but you might be surprised by the second place character: it's Lucas, at 11 with his special moves. (This is just ahead of Snake, who had 10 in his special moves.)

-Peach is the only character to have appeared in a Dojo screenshot before either getting a profile or being shown in a movie from 2006.

-All of the characters known from E3 2006 and Nintendo World 2006 showed up in screenshots before getting their profiles, except for Snake.

-Wario was the second-most-common character to appear straight through the end of September. Kirby pulled ahead in October when his (Kirby's) final smash update came, but Wario hung in there and by the end of November he was tied with Kirby again. December and the Inhale update sealed Wario's fate, though. This is probably the most unusual thing I learned while looking back through the updates--Sakurai must really like Wario or something, since he destroys everybody other than Mario and Kirby. It might also explain why Wario's the only one to have an alternate outfit, if that's really true.

Meloche

I'm not really sure what we can gain from all these stats, but at the same time...
Jiggy37 said:
King Dedede - 36
Zelda - 35
...this is really interesting, when you consider when King Dedede was unveiled [October 25th] compared to when Zelda was unveiled [June 25th]. I won't even get into the Ice Climbers' overall lack of representation outside of their own respective updates ;_; -- a pitiful 26% [5/19] of Ice Climbers spottings come from non-Ice Climbers updates. Actually Jiggy, if you're looking for some stats to collect during our update-less week, that could potentially provide insight into Sakurai's own character preferences: the percentage of appearances made by a character in their own specific updates [special moves, final smash, stages, profile] versus the rest of the updates [other characters' updates, game modes, etc]. I know a bunch of people have said that Mr. Game & Watch was a favourite of his, but we could figure out Sakurai's favourite Brawl characters [and stages too if you did that as well!] before the game even releases!!! :p

Assuming, of course, that he's the one that takes all these screenshots and decides what will be in them.

Jiggy37 said:
-Wario was the second-most-common character to appear straight through the end of September. Kirby pulled ahead in October when his (Kirby's) final smash update came, but Wario hung in there and by the end of November he was tied with Kirby again. December and the Inhale update sealed Wario's fate, though. This is probably the most unusual thing I learned while looking back through the updates--Sakurai must really like Wario or something, since he destroys everybody other than Mario and Kirby. It might also explain why Wario's the only one to have an alternate outfit, if that's really true.

I noticed that but didn't really need the stats to prove it. Sakurai's a goofy guy, so it makes sense that he likes a goofy character like Wario. I'm sure the fart humor is right up his alley.

KevinCow

Banned
Meloche said:
master_360.jpg

Playable Master Hand would kick ass.

Or maybe...
kawashima_brawl.jpg

Also, Jiggy, holy shit...

TreIII

ICallItFutile said:
For anyone who has played Mother 3, are Lucas's Brawl moves actually his moves from the game or are his moves stolen likes Ness's?

"Borrowed". :lol

He gets a number of things, like PK Thunder, Fire, Ground, Freeze and Starstorm as his Final Smash. But not a bit of PK LOVE.

I can only surmise two reasons for why that is so. Either:

a) Claus/Masked Boy will get it

or

b) Ness will get it, through his version "PK Rockin(Special)"

Jiggy

Meloche said:
if you're looking for some stats to collect during our update-less week, that could potentially provide insight into Sakurai's own character preferences: the percentage of appearances made by a character in their own specific updates [special moves, final smash, stages, profile] versus the rest of the updates
Actually, this'll only take like ten minutes after what I already threw together. Anyway...

Mario - 26/181 screenshots are from the Mario series
Link - 14/81
Pikachu - 13/58
Kirby - 40/121
Meta Knight - 26/57
Pit - 11/64
Zero Suit Samus - 12/48
Wario - 24/96
Snake - 18/37
Fox - 18/75
Samus - 10/59
Zelda - 4/35
Bowser - 11/39
Donkey Kong - 10/52
Yoshi - 9/68
Ike - 21/56
Peach - 19/47 (counting Petey Piranha)
Pokemon Trainer (trainer) - 15/20
Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle) - 8/9
Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur) - 9/9
Pokemon Trainer (Charizard) - 8/14
Diddy Kong - 15/52
Ice Climbers - 14/19
Lucas - 22/41
Sonic - 17/27
King Dedede - 16/36

Incidentally, this actually made me realize a few screwups from before: I'd put a Pikachu count of 4 in Link's column, making Link too high and Pikachu too low, and a Fox count of 6 in Snake's column.

pulga said:
the man is a number crunching machine.
Well, my favorite genre is made up of RPGs. Spreadsheets for EV training Pokemon = love.

Edit: More seriously: my actual line of work involves loads of number crunching, but that's a bit more taxing than counting screenshots. :lol

TreIII

Yeah, Jigs needs a name tag. Definitely.

...I hope that maybe being a part of the "early adopter spoiler squad" may get my foot in the door for getting a tag of my own! :lol

What I'd find more interesting is seeing the number of screenshots per update after each character's unveil. Then we could see Sakarai's preferences. The top of the list is mostly characters who were unveiled early on; the list is basically a list of the order in which characters were unveiled.

Btw, Jiggy, you are amazing. Give that man a tag already.

Rambaldi

Not that it hasn't been said, but Jiggy rocks. Haha, thought I'd throw it out there.

Otherwise, I'm going to be doing a Tourney the day before Brawl comes out. Does anyone know a place that would help me find some pointers?

Meloche

First number is the percentage of sightings of the character in its respective series' update, second number is the total amount of sightings of the character updates outside of its series.
Jiggy37 said:
Mario - 14% 155
Link - 17% 67
Pikachu - 22% 45
Kirby - 33% 81
Meta Knight - 46% 31
Pit - 17% 53
Zero Suit Samus - 25% 36
Wario - 25% 72
Snake - 49% 19
Fox - 24% 57
Samus - 17% 49
Zelda - 11% 31
Bowser - 28% 28
Donkey Kong - 19% 42
Yoshi - 13% 62
Ike - 38% 35
Peach - 40% 28
Pokemon Trainer (trainer) - 75%
Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle) - 89%
Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur) - 100%
Pokemon Trainer (Charizard) - 57%
Diddy Kong - 29% 37
Ice Climbers - 74% 5
Lucas - 54% 19
Sonic - 63% 10
King Dedede - 44% 20
It turns out I was wrong about this, because upon further thought it's pretty obvious that characters with a special moves update and a final smash update are automatically going to have a higher percentage than characters that do not; which is why the final smash and special moves-less Zelda can have such a low percentage despite rarely appearing. Likewise, the number of appearances is pretty reliant on the time the character was profiled on the Dojo. Still, for future How to Play / Game Mode updates I can pretty confidently predict that the Ice Climbers, Bowser, Zelda, and Peach probably won't be featured in any screenshots. Beyond that I'm not really sure what this data can tell me of value short of coming up with a formula that factors in prominence in screenshots, amount of time featured on the site versus number of appearances, etc.
Rambaldi said:
Otherwise, I'm going to be doing a Tourney the day before Brawl comes out. Does anyone know a place that would help me find some pointers?
Smashboards has a good write-up stickied on running a good tournament:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95636

You may also want to read this thread there about choosing a bracket type:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=124132

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Frankly, I was amazed that I got a tag before Jigs did. He's clearly done much to earn one and all I did was pick a...unique user name.

The problem with comparing how many characters appear in screenshots within updates related to them versus not related to their series is that the numbers are skewed by how many updates a character has actually had. Characters with many screenshot-heavy updates (like Lucas or Kirby) are naturally going to have more appearances in screenshots compared to characters who have had only one or two updates (such as Zelda).

Sciz

I was mostly kidding about counting the screenshots. :lol

Any plans to publish your complete statistics once the Dojo is finished?

Aras

TreIII said:
Any more "WTF?" than anything else that's appeared in Smash Bros., up to now?

For instance, where else, but in Smash Bros., could a Pokemon attack like "Rest", which is supposed to HEAL YOU, be interpreted as something that would, instead, knock you the FUCK OUT?

You said the truth and nothing but the truth u__u so I guess we are gonna see Twilight Zelda transforming into Ocarina Sheik u__u damn u sakurai !

Btw, love to use the "rest" move xDDD

TreIII

Aras said:
You said the truth and nothing but the truth u__u so I guess we are gonna see Twilight Zelda transforming into Ocarina Sheik u__u damn u sakurai !

Eh, I'm just like whatever. I mean, I'm 99% sure that this is the means for how we'll see Sheik again, whether it be through the standard Down+B, or maybe through a Final, a la Zero Suit Samus.

If it were me, I'd rather see
Puppet Zelda
be Zelda's alternate fighting style. But I guess that's just a bit much to hope for.

As for storyline reasons? Well, let's just remember, since the Smash-verse is its own universe, we don't really have to worry about such parlance like how it's supposedly the "wrong Zelda" that's doing it, any more than we should be concerned with why Link and WW Link may stand to meet up with each other (assuming the latter is a sure-in).

As far as the Smash-verse is concerned, the characters are all Trophies/Figures that do more to represent the overall characters they represent as a whole, with Smash-verse-exclusive twists, not explicitly the character as they are in game.

In a nutshell, that's how we got Bowser that can transform into a much more bad-ass form. That's how we got Purin/Puff with the uber-deadly "Shun-Goku-Restu" :)lol). And that's how Falcon got his start in being such a symbol of manliness, as well as having the singular most quotable special move this side of the likes of "Sho-ryu-ken" and "Hadou-ken".

It only makes sense when you put it all in the context that..."THIS! IS! SMASH BROS!!!!"

*kicks you into a pit, making you lose a stock, because you didn't follow Sakurai's advice of "YOU MUST RECOVER!"*

Aras

Forgot the trophies think, forgot that all the characters are mere trophies u__u maybe like you said, Sheik might appear with the FS of Zelda and Zelda might have a new down special move, hope so! I hate din's fire and saw it in action in a video so I guess something new on zelda might cheer me up, cause I use Zelda more than Sheik

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
haha oh lordy. had a good chuckle at jiggys efforts :p much appreciated tho!

in other grand news, my birthday will be getting a smash bros update on it, i'm ever so excited!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyone want to start a pool on when the first major Smash spoiler would leak? I'm guessing January 10th, around Six PM Tokyo time...

Jiggy

Sciz said:
Any plans to publish your complete statistics once the Dojo is finished?
Yeah, why not. If for no other reason than so that people can freak out when they realize I don't have any kind of script that does these things for me. >_>

Rambaldi said:
The day before? o_O

KevinCow said:
I bet Jiggy's gotten more enjoyment out of all the stat tracking than he will the actual game.
Well, of course. Gameplay what?
No, because Brawl will have its own statistics to give me cheer and joy. :D

Speaking of that, I hope we get an update about what new stats will be tracked that Melee didn't, and/or what new post-match awards you can win. Come to think of it, if we started getting strategy guide leaks within the next couple of weeks, we'd probably know all the characters/stages/etc., but I'm not so sure anybody except Sakurai himself would bother covering this stuff.

But I want to know. I want obscure awards like KOing everybody in a four-person match including yourself once, and the option to have the stats differentiate between CPU and human-controlled characters, and other such stuff. :O And also at least a top five for the old categories of biggest punching bag and the other stuff that was in SSBM, instead of just the top one. And for awards, there could be one for constantly KOing only a single other opponent in a four-person match. And then there could be some kind of useless item award for characters who frequently use Smoke Balls and Team Healer in a singles match. It'll be glorious.

Jiggy

Man God said:
Anyone want to start a pool on when the first major Smash spoiler would leak? I'm guessing January 10th, around Six PM Tokyo time...
You know, I was just telling someone the other day that January 10th sounded about right since it would be exactly two weeks away from the release date. Not that there's very much special (that I know of) about being two weeks away instead of three or one, but eh--it feels right in that gut sort of way.

Jammy said:
So... what happens in 17 more pages?
With any luck, GAF will implode and create a black hole from which not even time can escape, sucking the next several weeks into its vortex so that we'll all be playing Brawl sooner than we think.

Karki

Man God said:

Does Japan do demo stations before the game comes out? That's how galaxy leaked so early, I believe.

I'm going to guess the first week of January because the game has gone gold, if some reports are to be believed, and because the hype is just so huge.

Does anyone know how early other super-hyped games have leaked in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom