• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain N

Jiggy37 said:
Two questions:
1) How soon?
2) If I become an employee right away, can I "borrow" the copy overnight? :( I'd have it back before opening hours!

It'll be just like the Mario Galaxy..it was the retail game and how many weeks did that come out in the store before the game was released? The store Manager is supposed to delete any game saves at the end of every night or anytime someone gets too far in the game. So you probably won't see too many characters unlocked unless the manager is playing the game him(her)self.

..and no you won't be able to take it home.

Jiggy

A Link to the Snitch said:
To pass the time, I think we should discuss Assist Trophies.

How many overall, how many from each series, and whom?
How many: 15 counting Lakitu

How many from each series/whom:
F-Zero: 1 (Samurai Goroh)
Sim City: 1 (Dr. Wright)
Kirby: 1 (Knuckle Joe)
Devil World: 1 (Devil)
Star Fox: 1 (Andross)
Fire Emblem: 1 (Lyn)
Animal Crossing: 1 (Mr. Resetti)
Excitebike: 1 (Excitebike)
Mario: 2 (Lakitu, Waluigi)
Punch-Out: 1 (Little Mac)
Metal Gear: 1 (Gray Fox)
Sin and Punishment: 1 (Saki)
Stafy: 1 (Stafy)

Known assist trophies without updates:
Advance Wars
Pokey rumor (?)
Tails rumor (?)

Unless you meant we should throw together assist trophy wishlists, in which case (or even in which non-case) I'll get right on it. :D

Firestorm said:
Erm, I assume you mean demo right? If you mean the stock they're supposed to put up on February 10th I'm going to hope one of the smaller game/video stores break street date >_>
I'd go visiting every mom and pop store in town. :(

Captain N said:
It'll be just like the Mario Galaxy..it was the retail game and how many weeks did that come out in the store before the game was released? The store Manager is supposed to delete any game saves at the end of every night or anytime someone gets too far in the game. So you probably won't see too many characters unlocked unless the manager is playing the game him(her)self.

..and no you won't be able to take it home.
I know, I'm just messing around. :D
I'll quietly hope that at least one of these store managers "forgets" to delete the game saves. I want my spoilers.

>_>

Jiggy37 said:
How many: 15 counting Lakitu

How many from each series/whom:
F-Zero: 1 (Samurai Goroh)
Sim City: 1 (Dr. Wright)
Kirby: 1 (Knuckle Joe)
Devil World: 1 (Devil)
Star Fox: 1 (Andross)
Fire Emblem: 1 (Lyn)
Animal Crossing: 1 (Mr. Resetti)
Excitebike: 1 (Excitebike)
Mario: 2 (Lakitu, Waluigi)
Punch-Out: 1 (Little Mac)
Metal Gear: 1 (Gray Fox)
Sin and Punishment: 1 (Saki)
Stafy: 1 (Stafy)

Known assist trophies without updates:
Advance Wars
Pokey rumor (?)
Tails rumor (?)

Unless you meant we should throw together assist trophy wishlists, in which case (or even in which non-case) I'll get right on it. :D

I'd go visiting every mom and pop store in town. :(

I know, I'm just messing around. :D
I'll quietly hope that at least one of these store managers "forgets" to delete the game saves. I want my spoilers.

>_>

Thanks for the stats, but I meant a wishlist :p

Also, you forgot Metroid, Jill, Duster, Rosalina, and Sothe

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
To pass the time, I think we should discuss Assist Trophies.

How many overall, how many from each series, and whom?

Uhhh let's see, here's the list:

Samurai Goroh
Dr. Wright
Knuckle Joe
Devil
Andross
Lyn
Mr. Resetti
Excite Bike
Little Mac
Gray Fox
Saki Amamiya
Stafy
Waluigi
Lakitu
Hammer Brothers
Nintendog
Advance Wars Army
Jill
Metroid

And then the unconfirmed ones:
Pokey Minch
Tails
Duster
Rosalina
Sothe

[edit] Oh damnit Jiggy!!!

33 long agonizing days until this hits the states. I hope the wait for our PAL friends won't be too much longer. How long did it take for you guys to get Galaxy?

Anyway, for Kirby, I'd like...

Rick
Gooey
Sir Kibble
Meta Squad
Knuckle Joe

Eh? Eh?
I want GIM, on the slight chance that Sakurai could make it so Kirby could swallow him and gain Yo-Yo powers.

Yo-Yo Kirby > *

Captain N

ShockingAlberto said:
Feb. 10th is a Sunday, so assuredly stores are at least getting the stock that Friday at the latest.

usually when Nintendo releases games on a Sunday they release something else with it. Anyone else think we'll be getting new colored Wii Remotes?

Captain N said:
usually when Nintendo releases games on a Sunday they release something else with it. Anyone else think we'll be getting new colored Wii Remotes?
Not always. Big releases sometimes get released on Sundays, like Pokemon. And Smash is definitely a big release.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
HK-47 said:
Metroid is confirmed

Oh okay, fixed m'list.

I hope we see Knuckles as an assist trophy
if he isn't an unlockable character
! I'd also like to see something from Geist, like just the protagonist in his (most recognizable) spirit form. Maybe he'd possess a player and make him run around nonsensically.

dkeane

Captain N said:
HEAD SETS MOTHER FUCKERS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Believe!

Jiggy

Assist trophies I want:

Arche (Tales of Phantasia)
Celes Chere (Final Fantasy VI)
Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia)
Maria Renard (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood)
Milly (Baten Kaitos Origins)
Precis Neumann (Star Ocean 2)
Rena Lanford (Star Ocean 2)

In short, all of the third-party characters who have and have always had zero chance of being playable, yet who I would play as pretty much 100% of the time if they were available. >_> Especially Colette, Precis, and Maria. And also Milly, Arche, Celes, and Rena.
Yes, especially all of them. Even I can't figure out why I'm cursed to almost always adore secondary characters while hating main heroes. (Even Celes and Rena are spotlight-sharers.)

More serious list of moderately possible assist trophies:

Bugzzy (Kirby series)
Cremia (Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
Hero character class (Fire Emblem)
Marin (Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening)
New Age Retro Hippie (Mother series)
Rambi (Donkey Kong Country series)
Rick (Kirby's Dreamland series)
Space Pirate (Metroid series)

There are probably others, but all of the ones I can think of I'd generally prefer as playable (Sami, Daisy, pig Ganon, Jody Summers, Paula). But it's worth noting that my track record of characters I wanted playable instead of assist trophies is, well, pretty bad, what with Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Jill, the Hammer Bros., and Rosalina all being out of the running.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Keru_Shiri said:
I can maybe, maybe, see UFO = Yo-Yo, by virtue of UFO's maneuverability. Maybe. But I'd take the trusty Yo-Yo and a Gazriel Spin over horizonal firing anyday.

It also has the beam sweep

TreIII

HK-47 said:
UFO Kirby > Yo-Yo Kirby

I'm still partial to Hammer Kirby. So much RAW POWAH! :D

If Dedede's basic BnBs are anything like that, he'll probably end up being one of my possible candidates for "main". Only the likes of a certain Capcom character, Lucario and/or Ridley would be contenders, if that were true...

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
In Kirby Super Star, I always use Yo-Yo, given the opportunity. I can't wait to use it again in the KSS remake.

Assist Trophy wishlists, eh? Sounds like fun! I actually tried to come up with effects that these Assist Trophies would have.

Mario:
Koopalings (Larry, Morton Jr., Wendy, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, and Ludwig) - They would use some kind of combo attack, maybe involving their magic wands.

Kamek - He would swoop overhead on his broomstick, sprinkling magic dust on the combatants. Every fighter randomly receives either a Super or Poison Mushroom effect.

Fawful - He hovers overhead and fires laser balls at the fighters.

Bullet Bill - It locks onto a random fighter and chases them relentlessly. Causes a Bob-omb sized explosion when it collides with a surface or fighter.

Amazing Flying Hammer Brother - He flies on one of those grey flying platforms and "tosses his famed hammers".

Sonic:
Dr. Eggman - He flies in piloting his Eggmobile with a checkerboard ball-and-chain hanging from the bottom. He swings it at the fighters.

Metal Sonic: He begins to discharge electricity and starts flying around the area, slamming into people and electrocuting them.

Zelda:
Darknut: A Darknut protects your fighter, blocking attacks directed at you with his shield, and countering with a thrust of his sword.

Blind the T h i e f: His head detaches from his body and begins to fly around, spitting fireballs in all directions.

Stalfos (Wind Waker version): It stumbles around and swings its massive mace at nearby combatants.

Kirby:
Biospark: He dashes in and uses his Quad-Shock attack, then disappears in a puff of smoke.

GIM: It follows the fighter who summoned it around for a brief period, hitting enemies with its yo-yo and using its Gazer Spin attack on foes overhead.

TAC: It uses its long reach to steal items from other players and brings them to the fighter who summoned TAC. It can also steal Link's bombs and Peach's turnips.

Mr. UFO: It swoops in from overhead and shoots lasers at the fighters.

Mother:
Mani-Mani Statue: He makes the area look like Moonside - all textures turn black, and the edges of all surfaces begin to glow with a neon light. The music becomes Moonside music temporarily.

Starman Deluxe: He teleports in and executes PK Starstorm, which operates much like Lucas' Final Smash.

Buzz Buzz: He circles around a character's head. As long as he is active, any energy-based attack (AKA anything absorbed by PSI Magnet) is nullified when it hits Buzz Buzz's protected fighter. In Team Mode, this effect extends for the entire team.

Electro Specter: It uses the Shield Killer - all shields and shield-type special moves (PSI Magnet, Fox's Reflector) are disabled as long as the Electro Specter is active.

New Age Retro Hippie: He brushes his teeth. His teeth become so shiny, they emit a blindingly bright gleam that inflicts a "disable" effect on any nearby fighters.

...Okay, that's it. I can't think of any more right now.

Edit: Argh. I hate that filter. I think it's a bit excessive.

Sharp

I barely understand why people don't want to be spoiled about Smash. At least to me, like any fighter it's completely gameplay-oriented. Maybe if you really think Subspace Emissary is going to be something special, I could understand, but otherwise not really.

HK-47 said:
It also has the beam sweep
True, but it was small, and weak.

TreIII said:
I'm still partial to Hammer Kirby. So much RAW POWAH!
Sadly, his hammer move sucked in melee. Hopefully, they either increase it's power, or speed it up, or do something so that it doesn't feel like Kirby is glued to the ground when swinging it.

Here's mine...

Mario:

Hammer Brother
Lakitu
Waluigi
King Boo
Birdo
Koopalings
Tatanga
Bandit
The Angry Sun
Chargin' Chuck

Zelda:

Agahnim
Skull Kid
Marin
Darknut
Cucco
Moblin

Donkey Kong:

Kremling
Klaptrap
Funky Kong
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Stanley the Bugman
Rambi the Rhino

Kirby:

Buggzy
GIM
Rick
Marx
Knuckle Joe
Kracko
Meta Squad

Metroid:

Metroid
Dark Samus
Chozo
Kraid
Mother Brain

Star Fox:

Arwing/Wolfen
Andross

Animal Crossing:

Mr. Resetti

Fire Emblem:

Lyndis
Sothe
Sigurd

F-Zero:

Samurai Goroh

Wario:

Jimmy T.
Ashley
Pyoro
Captain Syrup

Yoshi:

Poochy
Kamek

Mother:

Giygas
Porky
Ness/Paula/Jeff/Poo
Starman
Duster
Kumatora

Kid Icarus:

Grim Reaper

DS:

Professor Kawashima
Agents

Others:

Bread bug
Chalvo
Mach Rider
Laughing Dog
Sheriff
Annie
Jill
Dr. Wright
Devil
Saki
Little Mac
Stafy
Advance Wars Army
Excitebike
Nintendog
Balloon Fighter
Fighter Hayabusa

Third parties:

Miles "Tails" Prower
Moogle
Slime
Vic Viper
Grey Fox

I'd be pretty satisfied.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Sharp said:
I barely understand why people don't want to be spoiled about Smash. At least to me, like any fighter it's completely gameplay-oriented. Maybe if you really think Subspace Emissary is going to be something special, I could understand, but otherwise not really.

I don't care about unlockable spoilers, since I intend to check a guide and unlock everything as quickly as possible anyway. The Subspace Emissary presents me a bit of a dilemma. I'd rather play through it and experience it myself without spoilers, but I can't see how I can avoid Subspace spoilers while ravenously digesting every tidbit about unlockables that I can find. You can't really even segregate the two, since you unlock many secret characters through Subspace.

Sharp said:

This is different, this has unlockables, and arguably, the unlockables are more interesting than other fighters'.

Jiggy

TreIII said:
Dedede's basic BnBs
Bed 'n' breakfasts? :D

Iam Canadian said:
Starman Deluxe
Buzz Buzz
I forgot about these two. :eek: I think I've mentioned them in the distant past as assists that would be cool.

Sharp said:
I barely understand why people don't want to be spoiled about Smash. At least to me, like any fighter it's completely gameplay-oriented.
Same. Even the things I was spoiled on in Melee still amazed me when I got to them--knowing Mr. Game & Watch existed wasn't even remotely enough to prepare me for the way he fought and animated.

Sharp said:
I don't care about being spoiled, I just don't want to hear about other people playing it, since it reminds me that I'm not playing it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Going for the long shot Windwaker Link Tetra/Zelda playable double update.

Zelda_Wind_Waker_Link_waves_goodbye.jpg

EDIT: ...When updates resume that is. Cause I totally didn't forget all about them going on vacation for a week.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Happy non-update, everybody.

I reloaded the page, just to check. Just to check.

DrForester said:
Going for the long shot Windwaker Link Tetra/Zelda playable double update.

EDIT: ...When updates resume that is. Cause I totally didn't forget all about them going on vacation for a week.

:lol It's cool, man, we know. =P

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I also checked the site even though I knew there wouldn't be an update. ...just in case :lol

You never know with craaaaaaaaazy Sakurai!

Meloche

SantaC said:
a Wind Waker level would be sweet...
All the Zelda content we've seen so far seems geared towards TP, but yeah, hopefully we'll get some The Wind Waker things since it has never had a chance to be featured in a Smash Bros game before. If past updates are any indication we should at least be able to look forward to some awesome TWW music [just basing this on the fact that we're getting songs like Bramble Blast for My Music], though it would be even sweeter if we got a stage or some Assists out of it. I'm still hoping for Tingle to be an AT [might as well be his TWW version], and if the ability to swim is given to every character, a Tower of the Gods stage with rising and falling water levels could be pretty cool. That or a Korok filled Forest Haven stage [most beautiful area in the game imo], or like you suggested an Outset or Windfall or Dragon Roost Island stage would be sweet. For a game with a bland and generically layed out [massive] overworld, it still had quite a few really memorable locales.

The area where you fought Ganon in WW, with the walls of water and such, would be pretty neat. Dragon Roost would be cool but we already have Norfair.

Aras

I've always imagined that scenario of the final battle with ganon in WW for other game and what better than Smash Brawl T_T

I'd like DragonRoost Island too, with Valoo in the background sat on the volcano and spliting fire every often and the platform where the characters should battle might move like the Deflino Plaza's stage =D

MisterHero

I just beat Kirby's Adventure on VC for the first time.

OMG that game was brilliant. Especially the level before Dedede, done with GameBoy-styled assets. :lol

If you watch the Gameplay Tutorial the instructions are even written in the same fashion the Smash Blog is written in.

*paraphrased*
Here's Kirby!

Here's Kirby's moves!

Here's Kirby's special moves!

:lol

Aras

There is a similar level in Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland ( was going to write "Kirby's Nightmare before xmas, I'm getting sleepy I guess xD ) o0 all in black n white and the classic music of Green Greens ringing o0

KevinCow

Banned
MisterHero said:
I just beat Kirby's Adventure on VC for the first time.

OMG that game was brilliant. Especially the level before Dedede, done with GameBoy-styled assets. :lol

If you watch the Gameplay Tutorial the instructions are even written in the same fashion the Smash Blog is written in.

*paraphrased*
Here's Kirby!

Here's Kirby's moves!

Here's Kirby's special moves!

:lol
I like the opening.

"First you draw a circle, then you dot the eyes, and draw a great big smile, and presto! It's Kirby!"

Speaking of openings (and attempting to keep my post somewhat on topic), I can't wait to see Brawl's opening video. It should be epic. I remember the Smash 64 opening was totally epic when I first saw it, and the Melee opening is still epic to this day. Brawl's should be fucking awesome.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It'd be hilarious if he responded later on today by saying that he just plumb forgot, say 'My bad', while not bothering to provide the update either.

AMUSIX

Since there's so much speculation here (and all of it so very optomistic) I was just wondering...

Would you be happy with a roster of 24?
That is, say they add a single character to the newcomers, and that represents the final roster. NOT the starting roster, but the final game roster. Looking at the current list, that would mean each character is very different from the next, no clones, no near-clones, just two dozen uniquely fighting characters.
Would that be enough? Or would it result in cries of the game only being half of what it could be?

Bear in mind, a fighting (or brawling, or whatever you call it) with 24 individual, unique characters in any other series might very well garner praise for it's sizeable roster.

Of course, Does it really matter how many characters there are when you've got thousands of stickers to collect from the most obscure sources?
(looking at you, Japanese Sonic Instruction Manual)

Proven

Sharp said:

It's like not looking ahead in a strategy guide for a game you really like. Finding them and unlocking them yourself is its own adventure and fun. Since it only happens once, unlike being able to play Vs. matches forever and ever, it's important to some people to make that first time count, and a spoiler would ruin that.

Smash isn't an ordinary fighter. Much of the fun comes from unlocking and collecting as well as fighting. It tickles achievers and explorers in a unique way.

AMUSIX said:
Since there's so much speculation here (and all of it so very optomistic) I was just wondering...

Would you be happy with a roster of 24?
That is, say they add a single character to the newcomers, and that represents the final roster. NOT the starting roster, but the final game roster. Looking at the current list, that would mean each character is very different from the next, no clones, no near-clones, just two dozen uniquely fighting characters.
Would that be enough? Or would it result in cries of the game only being half of what it could be?

Bear in mind, a fighting (or brawling, or whatever you call it) with 24 individual, unique characters in any other series might very well garner praise for it's sizeable roster.

Of course, Does it really matter how many characters there are when you've got thousands of stickers to collect from the most obscure sources?
(looking at you, Japanese Sonic Instruction Manual)

Hmm, all my favorites from Melee along with a couple of new guys I want to try are in this so far revealed roster. My main is Mario, I love Samus, Link, and Pikachu just as much, I plan to reapply myself to Ice Climbers and maybe even DK, so the only new guys that are really interesting for me are Zero Suit Samus, who seems like a very fun mechanic and will encourage me to fight for Smash Ball use, and Pokemon Trainer who's playstyle just seems odd enough to be crazy fun for me, and overall it means more Pokemon to try out. And then the only third party character I ever really wanted to play in the Smash universe is in: Sonic. So I'm content.

I'd be sad at the lack of a really obscure secret character though, as then the only barely known characters will be in the form of Assist Trophies. People will miss the Smash64 secret characters (Ness, Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Luigi), and will cry bloody murder over it. I think the game needs more heavy characters as most character types are of medium to light weight. Others will comment once again at the lack of villains, especially with the Subspace Emissary game. There's other stuff but I'm too tired to think of anymore.

Overall, I'd be happy, many people will not be content. I know my brother for one plays as many of the characters that are (more than likely) in but not revealed on the Dojo at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom