• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
Well, Smash Bros Dojo thread, I'm off to a party but before I'd like to wish everyone in here a big fucking HAPPY NEW YEAR :D May all the '08 games you want be kickass and not delayed till '09.

Let's hang in there, keep the thread alive until Sakurai returns!

justchris

Aras said:
And what will happen to people who used to play with clones? :-/ *just if clones are out*

They'll play with the other character of the clone pair? Anyone who was playing with Pichu can only improve their game from this point on. Seriously.

Ganondorf -> Falcon is an improvement.
Roy -> Marth is an improvement.
Dr. Mario -> Mario is...well, its' workable.
Falco -> Fox is workable.
Luigi's probably still in.
Young Link -> Link is workable.

MisterHero

Dr. Mario will be replaced by Hammer Mario. :D

Hammer Bro. Assist Trophy is a stealth reveal and to explain the Hammer projectile's presence. :lol

Jiggy

Dr. Mario to Mario will be pretty difficult unless they've improved either his fireballs or his overall power in Brawl. The vitamins kind of made his game...

TreIII

justchris said:
What? Kirby and Jigglypuff aren't even remotely clones. Every single one of their A & B moves are different. The only things they have in common are general body shape, and the ability to float, and that's been the case since SSB64. That's like saying there should be no clones at all, just characters that look similar???

You're missing the point...or rather, you helped emphasize the point I was trying to make in the first place. :D

What my post was all about was how I could stand to see clones differentiated from each other as much as possible, with "Mario -> Luigi" being the "standard", but Jigs and Kirby being more along the ideal of how I could stand to see differences between any and all clones (where maybe the body types and some basic traits are all they share, but that's about it).

The fact that you, and especially Jigs, went ahead and listed the differences did more to make my case for me. :D

Again, for the sake of example, I would propose that Ridley (if he was in the game) could start out basically in the same vein as sharing a couple of things in common with Charizard/Lizardon, but beyond the fact that they're both dragons, maybe share a few common A moves and would both be able to fly/glide in probably a similar fashion, they'd be as different as night and day...not unlike how Jigs and Kirby are.

justchris

Jiggy37 said:
Dr. Mario to Mario will be pretty difficult unless they've improved either his fireballs or his overall power in Brawl. The vitamins kind of made his game...

True, still, Mario's not a bad character, and it'd certainly be a workable transition. A lot easier than the transition from Ganondorf -> Falcon, for instance (though not nearly as beneficial).

TreIII said:
You're missing the point...or rather, you helped emphasize the point I was trying to make in the first place. :D

I understand, but when I think 'clone', I think of them having a little more in common than basic body shape. But yes, even just differentiating half of their attacks (half their A attacks, half their B attacks) would go a long way towards making clones varied enough to be viable.

KevinCow said:
Iggy's Reckin' Balls on the N64.

I think I'm the only person in the world who played it, but I thought it was awesome.

I remember that game, it was fun...it's those obscure games that made me really love the N64, despite what everyone else thinks about the console, saying it had no games.

Then again, if there's not a huge highlighted release every month, it seems every console "has no games".

::sigh 360 fanboys::

I'm having a blast with my ps3 and Wii thank you very much!!

Aras

justchris said:
They'll play with the other character of the clone pair? Anyone who was playing with Pichu can only improve their game from this point on. Seriously.

Roy -> Marth is an improvement.
Dr. Mario -> Mario is...well, its' workable.
Falco -> Fox is workable.
Luigi's probably still in.
Young Link -> Link is workable.

well, that sounds obvious but really I don't think Fox can replace Falco at all

Falco might have the same moves but they make different damage ..... and that's why people choose Falco instead of Fox u__________u I guess we are in some kind of paradox trying to solve this, lol

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
These would be incredible. :eek: Also a Race to the Finish Creator! Might as well add to the number of genres represented.

Come to think of it, outside of Gourmet Race in Kirby Super Star, has a sidescrolling racing game ever been created in the first place? Edit: Actually, I guess that's sort of a dumb question since you might as well define it as a platformer, then. Unless there were no platforms, but then it would be a pretty boring race.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 has a race mode (among several others).

Jiggy

I actually loved Jazz Jackrabbit 1... never picked up the second, though. Oh well, good to know that this stuff exists. :D

And Happy New Year to other Pacific Time Dojo people!

KevinCow

Banned
Hey sp0rsk, according to someone on IGN, there's a new video of Brawl with new footage on the Everybody's Nintendo Channel. Can you confirm that?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
There are two videos, the newest one from the smash site and a compilation of all the videos released for the game.

I'm watching hte compilation now and there is a vid I don't remember seeing before, wait nevermind, I remember this now. It's from Nintendo world. I just don't remember seeing the Mario Kart stage footage. It's the video where they unveil Fox.

Next is some video that came out in October, I think from a show Nintendo had. Show's stuff like Stickers, Lynn, and stuff. I think people saw this video already.

farnham

Banned
Still no Captain Falcon.. He was one of my favorites in both SBM and SB64.. What happened..? Why is there Samurai Goroh but no Falcon..?

Scribble

farnham said:
Still no Captain Falcon.. He was one of my favorites in both SBM and SB64.. What happened..? Why is there Samurai Goroh but no Falcon..?

He will be in, I assure you. You're needlessly worrying about it.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm still holding out hope for playable Tingle. Screw Midna or any other Zelda characters, Tingle needs to be in. He could, like... hit people with maps? I dunno. But he would be awesome.

Scribble

KevinCow said:
I'm still holding out hope for playable Tingle. Screw Midna or any other Zelda characters, Tingle needs to be in. He could, like... hit people with maps? I dunno. But he would be awesome.

I totally agree. He could use maps, rupees, bombs and bodyguards like in Freshly Picked. :D

CassSept

justchris said:
:(
I never managed to play even decently with Falcon, but Ganondorf was main character I was playing >_>
But yeah, with all these new playable chars it won't be hard to chose someone else.
Especially if Ridley is in. Heck, no matter how hard he will suck, or be worst character of whole roster, i will play Ridley

Jiggy

sp0rsk said:
I will try my hardest to get the first hands on up.
Oh snaps sn4sp, Tre. Race is on, but since you're importing and sp0rsk is in Japan, I think you're gonna get owned. :D

farnham said:
He'll be in, no worries. There was a post-Melee Sakurai interview floating around earlier in the thread where he said Captain Falcon was his favorite character from the previous games.

Jiggy

I think they'll save the awesome feature for the 200th update and kick our 2008 off with a character. Like Lip. Come on, Lip.

Happy New Year fellow Smash GAFers! :D

KevinCow said:
Hey sp0rsk, according to someone on IGN, there's a new video of Brawl with new footage on the Everybody's Nintendo Channel. Can you confirm that?
C'mon NOA, please release this channel soon!

kamikaze said:
24 more days until japan time turns into smashing time for me.
Lucky... :D

Jiggy37 said:
I think they'll save the awesome feature for the 200th update and kick our 2008 off with a character. Like Lip. Come on, Lip.

Newcomer : Wolf O'Donnell ?

justchris said:

Well Ganondorf lacks the Knee, but his Up B/Down B actually do something.
Not to mention the fact that you could get around Ganondorf's speed (to some extent, but generally enough to surprise anyone who'd be like "lololol Ganon is teh slow") by wavedashing/wavelanding. Now that wavedashing is out (there's still some kind of wavelanding according to those who played the demo at E4All), a character with Melee Ganondorf's moveset seems even more justified.

Also, this game needs more heavyweights. That's what was cool about Dedede when he was revealed, it would make little sense for a character with that kind of physics to get cut (not saying it has to be Ganondorf, in fact I'd like Black Shadow to be in as a Melee Ganondorf clone).

Jiggy

HAY GUYS WUTZ GOIN ON ^____^
Liek I took some numbers and I ranz them thru the crunching thingy and here is what it told me:

Sample Format:
Thing Being Tracked: Wednesday (5/3) > Friday (2) > Monday/Tuesday/Thursday (0)
Where 5 would be the number of updates that thing had on a Wednesday, 3 would be the number it had not counting stealth info, and 2 and 0 would be the number of updates it had on the other days, while stealth info never came into play.

Single updates: Tuesday (44/43) > Wednesday (43/39) > Friday (40/39) > Thursday (38) > Monday (36/34)
Double+ updates: Tuesday (10) > Wednesday (10/6) > Thursday (6) > Friday (6/5) > Monday (4/3)
Triple updates: Friday (2) > Tuesday (2/1) > Wednesday (1) > Monday (1/0) > Thursday (0)

Characters: Wednesday (7) > Thursday/Friday (5 each) > Monday (4) > Tuesday (2)
Special moves: Thursday (6) > Monday (4) > Friday (3) > Tuesday (2) > Wednesday (1)
Final smashes: Thursday (6) > Tuesday (5) > Monday (4) > Wednesday (3) > Friday (2)
How to play: Wednesday (6) > Thursday (5) > Tuesday (4) > Friday (2) > Monday (1)
Game modes: Monday (7/5) > Wednesday (7/4) > Tuesday/Friday (6 each) > Thursday (4)
Adventure mode: Friday (5) > Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday (2 each)
Stages: Friday (7) > Tuesday (4) > Monday/Wednesday/Thursday (3 each)
Normal items: Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday (3 each) > Friday (2)
Assist trophies: Tuesday (4) > Wednesday (4/3) > Friday (3) > Monday/Thursday (2 each)
Poke Balls: Tuesday (4) > Monday (2) > Wednesday/Thursday (1) > Friday (0)
Music: Tuesday (7/6) > Friday (5/4) > Wednesday (4) > Monday (3) > Thursday (2)
Miscellaneous: Wednesday (Sonic movie + conference movie) > Tuesday/Thursday (Snake movie/E3 movie) > Monday (Overalls Wario) > Friday (nothing)

DarkKyo

Iam Canadian said:
Back from vacation, just in time to await leaks and hands-on reports.

Excellent. :D

Happy New Year, everybody.

Are we expecting any leaks soon? Or do you mean in the next few weeks?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
HAY GUYS WUTZ GOIN ON ^____^
Liek I took some numbers and I ranz them thru the crunching thingy and here is what it told me:

I think we actually broke him, guys.

Where's the manual?

Reading through those stats, I think Wednesday and Friday are the best overall days. However, I have to give a nod to Monday, since Monday brought us Lucas and New Pork City, for reasons that should be obvious by now.

nli10

farnham said:

I think there will be whole unlock-able franchises, F-Zero being one of them.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Poor Jiggy, this is what Dojo update withdrawal can do to a person! :O

You're the man, Jiggs!

mclem

Jiggy37 said:
These would be incredible. :eek: Also a Race to the Finish Creator! Might as well add to the number of genres represented.

Come to think of it, outside of Gourmet Race in Kirby Super Star, has a sidescrolling racing game ever been created in the first place? Edit: Actually, I guess that's sort of a dumb question since you might as well define it as a platformer, then. Unless there were no platforms, but then it would be a pretty boring race.

Doesn't Excitebike count? Or did you mean specifically a racer with platforming elements (but then, it *kind of* does with all the ramps...)

People have mentioned the likes of Uniracers, but going further back I recall a couple on the Spectrum: Kikstart 2 (and presumably Kikstart, but I believe *that* was C64-only), ATV Simulator and Wheelie. Wheelie is the earliest game I can think of (1983!) that could possibly fit the definition.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Oh snaps sn4sp, Tre. Race is on, but since you're importing and sp0rsk is in Japan, I think you're gonna get owned. :D

It depends, really.

If Hong Kong's anti-piracy measures are in effect (as they usually are), HK retailers will stand to get the game by the Sunday of that week, days before the proper JP release. In other words, that translates to me probably getting the game either the day of, or even before the JP release. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping that paying for UPS Rush shipping through play-asia will amount to. :lol

Of course, on the other hand, that isn't to say at all that sp0rsky may have his own hook-ups. I believe a number of places are open to selling wares a day before the proper release as well.

In the end, it really doesn't matter. I'd be more open to having another J-/import-GAFfer to co-op with as we un-earth this game's miserable pile of secrets. For instance, if he goes one route through the SSE, I'll go the other. If he finds one megaton character, I may find the other. It'll just be more efficient that way. :D

And since I now have a 1 GB SD card to spare, I plan to be saving a number of match vids that I'll be having with my pals on that weekend...maybe I'll even be a bastard, and create a bunch of crazy stages too...

Jiggy

mclem said:
Doesn't Excitebike count? Or did you mean specifically a racer with platforming elements (but then, it *kind of* does with all the ramps...)

People have mentioned the likes of Uniracers, but going further back I recall a couple on the Spectrum: Kikstart 2 (and presumably Kikstart, but I believe *that* was C64-only), ATV Simulator and Wheelie. Wheelie is the earliest game I can think of (1983!) that could possibly fit the definition.
I never played Excitebike, but I think it has four-directional movement on the ground? I just mean straight sidescrolling, no way to move except by going left or right and jumping.

That's some early stuff you bring up, though. :eek:

TreIII said:
If Hong Kong's anti-piracy measures are in effect (as they usually are), HK retailers will stand to get the game by the Sunday of that week, days before the proper JP release. In other words, that translates to me probably getting the game either the day of, or even before the JP release. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping that paying for UPS Rush shipping through play-asia will amount to. :lol
Now I'm hoping too. :O

In the end, it really doesn't matter. I'd be more open to having another J-/import-GAFfer to co-op with as we un-earth this game's miserable pile of secrets. For instance, if he goes one route through the SSE, I'll go the other. If he finds one megaton character, I may find the other. It'll just be more efficient that way. :D
True enough. Man, less than 23 full days to go to this greatness.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I think this is probably the most entertaining wait for a game I've ever experienced. The waits for games like Super Mario Galaxy and Mother 3 (still waiting for it, really) were just painful. With the Smash Dojo and the quirky little community we've constructed here in this thread, the wait has at least been more engaging.

Can't wait to fight you all in Brawl. :D

New year isn't until February 10, which on that day both New Years, Christmas, and every single birthday of humanity happens at the very same time.

EDIT: I butchered the grammar in my post extremely bad. I'll leave the mistakes in for people to laugh at.

Vlad

Teasel said:
so i found a video of the japanese jump festa demo showing kirby final smash in action
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1841549

So what would one click to actually view said video? I've hovered my mouse all over the place, but nothing seems to actually be a link. Nothing that's not obviously an ad or a link to something completely unrelated to the video, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom