• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

justchris

Holy Order Sol said:
Well Ganondorf lacks the Knee, but his Up B/Down B actually do something.
Not to mention the fact that you could get around Ganondorf's speed (to some extent, but generally enough to surprise anyone who'd be like "lololol Ganon is teh slow") by wavedashing/wavelanding. Now that wavedashing is out (there's still some kind of wavelanding according to those who played the demo at E4All), a character with Melee Ganondorf's moveset seems even more justified.

Also, this game needs more heavyweights. That's what was cool about Dedede when he was revealed, it would make little sense for a character with that kind of physics to get cut (not saying it has to be Ganondorf, in fact I'd like Black Shadow to be in as a Melee Ganondorf clone).

Ummm...Falcon's Up+B/Down+B were extremely useful, all the time, nearly constantly even. Maybe you mean his Up tilt+A?

Anyway, I'm not saying Ganondorf can't be a heavyweight, in fact, I think he should be, it does fit the character. I just think he deserves his own unique moveset.

justchris said:
Ummm...Falcon's Up+B/Down+B were extremely useful, all the time, nearly constantly even. Maybe you mean his Up tilt+A?

No, that was an exaggeration. Falcon's Up+B is useful for recovery, obviously. What I meant is, it sucks as an attack. Same goes for Falcon Kick, it's worth using only if you've been knocked far AND really high. Trying to actually hit someone with Falcon Kick usually gets you laughed at and rightfully so.
Ganondorf's Up+B/Down+B can actually be kill moves.

Anyway, I'm not saying Ganondorf can't be a heavyweight, in fact, I think he should be, it does fit the character. I just think he deserves his own unique moveset.

I agree, I'd just like a character in Brawl to have Melee Ganondorf's physics and moveset.

Jiggy

Yeah, Ganondorf 100% needs to be a heavyweight even if he's given a new moveset--the guy doesn't have the Triforce of Power for nothing. And I'm also in agreement that someone should inherit the Melee moveset, or at least the good aspects of it, i.e. the greatest neutral A jab in the game, a very solid forward air, and a back air, down B, and up B that, unlike Captain Falcon's, are actually really good.

Haha, is that Sakurai commenting on a competitive Super Smash Bros match ?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm153027

1616985,546464564.jpg

1616986,484564561.jpg

1616987,255654566464.jpg

Damn, he looks so young...

Also, nice bandana.

Meloche

Jiggy37 said:
I think they'll save the awesome feature for the 200th update and kick our 2008 off with a character. Like Lip. Come on, Lip.
Here's an interesting thing to consider, then: we know that Lip's Stick is an item in the game, courtesy of E for All. Do you think that they'd have Lip in with her stick as an item as well? I know we've got items like the Warp Star, the Star Rod, and the Screw Attack with Kirby and Samus remaining in the game no problem, but I would think that the stick would be pretty integral to any Lip moveset. I haven't played Panel de Pon though [just Planet Puzzle League], so I'd need input on this.

If we're talking about awesome characters to kick off a year with, I'd have to go with Olimar. Because it'll be a nice preview for Pikmin 3, coming to stores in August 2008. Right Shiggy? ;_;

vertopci

Holy Order Sol said:
Newcomer : Wolf O'Donnell ?

Well Ganondorf lacks the Knee, but his Up B/Down B actually do something.
Not to mention the fact that you could get around Ganondorf's speed (to some extent, but generally enough to surprise anyone who'd be like "lololol Ganon is teh slow") by wavedashing/wavelanding. Now that wavedashing is out (there's still some kind of wavelanding according to those who played the demo at E4All), a character with Melee Ganondorf's moveset seems even more justified.

Also, this game needs more heavyweights. That's what was cool about Dedede when he was revealed, it would make little sense for a character with that kind of physics to get cut (not saying it has to be Ganondorf, in fact I'd like Black Shadow to be in as a Melee Ganondorf clone).

Is the bolded part confirmed?

Aras

It'd be greater if I could understand the scrolling text xD

talking about wavedashing, wasn't wavedashing a bug in Smash Melee? =/

that movement wasn't official at all right?

pulga

Banned
Aras said:

Yes, yes it was (a bug, not official). Now lets not ever discuss the W word again.

vertopci

Aras said:

I heard that it had an official along the lines of air-dodged jump cancel or something. Don't know if its true. I've heard a bunch of other things saying wavedashing was/wasn't an accident. I suppose only Sakurai knows for sure :lol

edit: apparently it was an accident. Shame they removed it. It really helped some of the crappier characters become better.

Aras said:

For the love of all that is holy, please do not say things like that in this thread. It will not end well.

pulga

Banned
Linkzg said:
so, when is the next update on the dojo?

Is it that hard to check the Dojo site? It's much easier than taking the time to type out your question out and getting a non helpful response (such as yours truly).

Aras said:
how was Air-dodging changed? =o/ I'm starting to get worried about this game =0

(Stolen from a random Brawl FAQ)

Let's get the biggest change out of the way: Wavedashing as we know it, is dead. For those unfamiliar with the practice of wavedashing in Smash Brothers Melee, it's basically tapping the jump button and then immediately air dodging diagonally towards the ground to make your character slide across the floor. The reason why this technique is impossible now is because of a newly implemented air dodging system. With this new system, you can no longer air dodge in any direction you choose. Instead, your momentum determines the direction and length of your air dodge. So for example, if you were to jump towards your opponent and start an air dodge to avoid one of their attacks, you would dodge in the direction you were going and would keep the same momentum that you had going into the dodge.

Aras

Linkzg said:
so, when is the next update on the dojo?

January 7th

btw, a japanese replied to my comment but dind't understand what he said in NicoNico

I wrote: "sakurai make love to me xDDDDDD"

WastingPenguins said:
Let's get the biggest change out of the way: Wavedashing as we know it, is dead. For those unfamiliar with the practice of wavedashing in Smash Brothers Melee, it's basically tapping the jump button and then immediately air dodging diagonally towards the ground to make your character slide across the floor. The reason why this technique is impossible now is because of a newly implemented air dodging system. With this new system, you can no longer air dodge in any direction you choose. Instead, your momentum determines the direction and length of your air dodge. So for example, if you were to jump towards your opponent and start an air dodge to avoid one of their attacks, you would dodge in the direction you were going and would keep the same momentum that you had going into the dodge.

Thanks for the info

so, I guess there are going to be more falls while dodging in the air u_u

pulga said:
Is it that hard to check the Dojo site? It's much easier than taking the time to type out your question out and getting a non helpful response (such as yours truly).

I actually didnt notice it when I checked, I usually look down at the colorful pictures.

and I never understood the point of those comments on nico, I always just turn them off.

Aras

yes

and penis is an international word, I think any japanese will get that word easily, you should have written any other word lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Linkzg said:
I actually didnt notice it when I checked, I usually look down at the colorful pictures.

and I never understood the point of those comments on nico, I always just turn them off.

The point of the comments is to share your experience with others. It's the whole "friends sitting on the couch watching a movie or playing a game" thing, only with videos online.

sp0rsk said:
The point of the comments is to share your experience with others. It's the whole "friends sitting on the couch watching a movie or playing a game" thing, only with videos online.

yeah, but like 80% of the videos just have one character in a really long streak or something else to be annoying and simply block the video.

Jiggy

Meloche said:
Here's an interesting thing to consider, then: we know that Lip's Stick is an item in the game, courtesy of E for All. Do you think that they'd have Lip in with her stick as an item as well? I know we've got items like the Warp Star, the Star Rod, and the Screw Attack with Kirby and Samus remaining in the game no problem, but I would think that the stick would be pretty integral to any Lip moveset.
Well, we've got the Homerun Bat and we still have Lucas; the Ray Gun is probably still in even though Fox has got his own laser; Beam Sword is an item with lots of sword users floating around; likewise for Hammer/Golden Hammer alongside Ice Climbers, King Dedede, and Kirby; Link's got bombs and stronger Bob-ombs are out there; Poke Balls continue existing and acting differently from the ones wielded by Pokemon Trainer... And there's the Screw Attack you mentioned.
So yeah, I don't really see an issue with having Lip and her stick alongside a Lip's Stick item.

Now to go register for NicoNico and see this video you people seem to be enjoying.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Linkzg said:
yeah, but like 80% of the videos just have one character in a really long streak or something else to be annoying and simply block the video.

Huh? I dunno what videos you be watchin man.

sp0rsk said:
Huh? I dunno what videos you be watchin man.

Lucky Star AMV/MAD videos...except not at all

and this has been getting a bit off topic, so to head back:

Did melee have any content exclusive to the Japanese version or American version? like trophies and such?

Jiggy

Linkzg said:
Did melee have any content exclusive to the Japanese version or American version? like trophies and such?
The Wikipedia Virtual Boy page claims that Melee had a VB on the shelf in the trophy collection room, but Nintendo of America removed it.

Edit: Also, I can't get stats on that video because it's so covered in text that I can't even figure out who's fighting in it other than Kirby and Diddy. D:

Meloche

Jiggy37 said:
Well, we've got the Homerun Bat and we still have Lucas; the Ray Gun is probably still in even though Fox has got his own laser; Beam Sword is an item with lots of sword users floating around; likewise for Hammer/Golden Hammer alongside Ice Climbers, King Dedede, and Kirby; Link's got bombs and stronger Bob-ombs are out there; Poke Balls continue existing and acting differently from the ones wielded by Pokemon Trainer... And there's the Screw Attack you mentioned.
So yeah, I don't really see an issue with having Lip and her stick alongside a Lip's Stick item.
I meant more in the sense that Lip's stick is, uh, Lip's Stick, and to have Lip as a playable character with her stick being a large part of her moveset all the while giving every other character the ability to use it would be a little nonsensical. More than is normal in the Smash universe, even.

Think of it this way: the homerun bat is just a generic bat, it's not like it's Ness or Lukas' bat. Bob-ombs are entirely different from the bombs that Link uses, and etc to all the other examples you listed. It's not that there are items that are similar to moves used by characters in the game [it's not an issue of clones], it's that this is an object that would potentially be held at all times by Lip if she's a playable character, but then it's also an item that anyone can pick up. My question is basically one of prediction: would it make sense for Sakurai to include Lip's Stick as an item if he was also planning on including Lip herself as a playable character? I don't know, but I was kind of aiming towards that item's inclusion reducing the likelihood of Lip appearing as a playable fighter.

I tried to think of examples that would serve to counter the idea [Warp Star, Screw Attack, Star Rod], but there isn't any single one that perfectly replicates the situation with Lip. Marth's Sword, for example, isn't an item in Melee because Marth uses it at all times. Likewise, the Master Sword isn't an item because Link is using it. Same goes for Samus' blaster, Mario's cape, Ness' yoyo, etc. That was what I was getting at when I asked the question -- whether Lip was still considered a viable candidate even with her Stick returning as an item.

Dreavus

Jiggy37 said:
The Wikipedia Virtual Boy page claims that Melee had a VB on the shelf in the trophy collection room, but Nintendo of America removed it.

It's not there? I thought for sure I remembered seeing one... I'll have to check sometime.

As for trophies, the only one I recall being different between versions (visually) was the motion sensor mine.

Jiggy

I think Screw Attack does perfectly replicate the situation, though--but even if it didn't, they could just change the name of the Lip's Stick item. I should mention, though, I've never played Panel de Pon either, so I don't know whether there are generic Lip's Sticks or if she happens to have the only one in existence. This might all be a moot argument...

On a different note, why did I not sign up for Nico sooner? :O One of the related videos shows Zero Suit Samus using the Zero Mission stun gun shots from that one part of the game--good stuff. I'm sure everyone else has seen it already somewhere, but it's still new to me.

Aras

Meloche said:
I meant more in the sense that Lip's stick is, uh, Lip's Stick, and to have Lip as a playable character with her stick being a large part of her moveset all the while giving every other character the ability to use it would be a little nonsensical. More than is normal in the Smash universe, even.

Think of it this way: the homerun bat is just a generic bat, it's not like it's Ness or Lukas' bat. Bob-ombs are entirely different from the bombs that Link uses, and etc to all the other examples you listed. It's not that there are items that are similar to moves used by characters in the game [it's not an issue of clones], it's that this is an object that would potentially be held at all times by Lip if she's a playable character, but then it's also an item that anyone can pick up. My question is basically one of prediction: would it make sense for Sakurai to include Lip's Stick as an item if he was also planning on including Lip herself as a playable character? I don't know, but I was kind of aiming towards that item's inclusion reducing the likelihood of Lip appearing as a playable fighter.

I tried to think of examples that would serve to counter the idea [Warp Star, Screw Attack, Star Rod], but there isn't any single one that perfectly replicates the situation with Lip. Marth's Sword, for example, isn't an item in Melee because Marth uses it at all times. Likewise, the Master Sword isn't an item because Link is using it. Same goes for Samus' blaster, Mario's cape, Ness' yoyo, etc. That was what I was getting at when I asked the question -- whether Lip was still considered a viable candidate even with her Stick returning as an item.

But you just mentioned an example in your last post: Samus' Screw Attack

o_o that item is the same thing as having samus doing her Up special move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom