• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
CassSept said:
Jiggy, due to boredom, starts posting another insane stats. Stay tuned for count of most frequently used words in Dojo updates!
A list of every word that's been used in Dojo updates, and the number of times they've been used.

And then the number of times each letter has been used.

And then again for the other six languages.

And then again for this thread.

CassSept

KevinCow said:
A list of every word that's been used in Dojo updates, and the number of times they've been used.

And then again for this thread.
Somehow, i have scary thought, that Jiggy will actually do it.

Dreavus

Reading through people's missingno experiences on the previous pages got me to do a little bit of searching on the nature of this glitch... and I came up with this site:

http://www.trsrockin.com/missingno4.html

Like firestorm mentioned, what guy you find is entirely dependent on your name, or more specifically, the characters of your name. Letters 2 4 and 6 of your name determines the level, and letters 3 5 and 7 determines which pokemon actually appears. Apparently you can even see weird stuff like that strange "ghost" you see in the tower before finding the silph scope, or the kabutops and aerodactyl fossils from the museum (I think), if you've got the right character in the right spot in your name.

Ahh, to have glitches like this again! Very interesting stuff.

I agree Missingno should be in a pokeball pokemon in SSBB... Maybe he could duplicate items as well? Or maybe just the sixth item to appear. :lol

CassSept

Dreavus said:
I agree Missingno should be in a pokeball pokemon in SSBB... Maybe he could duplicate items as well? Or maybe just the sixth item to appear. :lol
Take the 6th item that appeared in match and make tons of it appear until match is over:lol ?

Jiggy

KevinCow said:

But I don't know Japanese. :(

While I'm thinking about it, did we ever figure out what the red Smash symbols are?

modea11_071226d-l.jpg

I've been assuming they're sort of like a difficulty gauge for how hard it is to turn a boss into a trophy, but maybe the thread already figured out that they're something else and I missed it somehow.

Jiggy37 said:
But I don't know Japanese. :(

While I'm thinking about it, did we ever figure out what the red Smash symbols are?

modea11_071226d-l.jpg

I've been assuming they're sort of like a difficulty gauge for how hard it is to turn a boss into a trophy, but maybe the thread already figured out that they're something else and I missed it somehow.
I assumed they were the alternate players you have in reserve, unless I'm misunderstanding the team update:

Your stock count, or the number of lives you can lose, is set for each stage.

In single-player mode, each time you lose a life, you switch to a different character on your team and are revived as that new character until you run out of stock lives. (You choose the character order for your team members at the start of each stage.)

In co-op mode, when either player 1 or player 2 loses a life, that player will be revived as another team member until your stock count runs out.

But, if Player 1 loses a life after the stock count has run out, that’s the end! Player 2 is participating simply as an optional player, so be careful.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'd suggest that Jiggy count how many times each stage appears in screenshots, but I think he'd actually do that, so I'd better not.

I think the Smash symbols are your stock count.

Edit: Ack, beaten by, uh, two minutes.

Twig

Banned
Why the fuck would you pay $10 for a demo.

I would hunt down every one of you and kill you for telling Nintendo "Hey it's a good idea to charge money for demos."

Thankfully, Nintendo hates Wii demos apparently, so it's not gonna happen.

m00

Hey, the thread's still going strong. Mad props to Jiggy for saving Christmas New Year's.

Jiggy37 said:
What they all said. :D
Also, does anyone else have any idea of what the numbers above Towtow's icon might be? It looks like SE is keeping score, or maybe the number is a running experience point tally. You get 2000 points for hitting a Towtow with a trophy stand:

modea11_071226d-l.jpg
modea11_071226e-l.jpg

But Rayquaza's icon and damage meter are covering the place where the numbers were. Hmm....

modea11_071226h-l.jpg

TheOneGuy said:

I would hunt down every one of you and kill you for telling Nintendo "Hey it's a good idea to charge money for demos."

For other games? No.

For Smash Bros.? No question.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
After just getting EVERY star in Mario Galaxy (and I mean every single one...) I think there should be a Bill Board AT in the game.

When it's in play it just sticks to the spot, and when you're near it and trying to attack things using the A Button you end up triggering off conversations with him about how to play the game. And he'd make that little "Hey!" noise while you do it too.

Christopher

TheOneGuy said:

Isn't a demo ment for the seller to sample to game the sell to the consumer?

Why the fuck would you want to pay for that? I'd rather my 10 dollars go towards the whole game.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
You guys really need to get over this fixation on the idea of a demo. A demo would be FAR too big for the memory that comes with the Wii, and I can't see Nintendo releasing something that would require use of the SD card slot. I COULD see them requiring a proprietary HD that they manufacture, but until that materializes just don't get your hopes so high.

Gagaman

JohnTinker said:
You guys really need to get over this fixation on the idea of a demo. A demo would be FAR too big for the memory that comes with the Wii, and I can't see Nintendo releasing something that would require use of the SD card slot. I COULD see them requiring a proprietary HD that they manufacture, but until that materializes just don't get your hopes so high.
A disc based demo would be fine. If anything I'm wondering why they haven't even considered Wii demo discs yet..

Nintendo should have included a Brawl demo with either Metroid Prime 3 or Battalion Wars 2. Those games would have sold a bit more copies if they came with a Brawl demo.

Firestorm

Christopher said:
Isn't a demo ment for the seller to sample to game the sell to the consumer?

Why the fuck would you want to pay for that? I'd rather my 10 dollars go towards the whole game.

There is one game I would pay for a demo for and that is this one.

Jiggy

I guess stocks make sense for the symbols. Weird on-screen location for them, though, I'll say that. >_>

Iam Canadian said:
I'd suggest that Jiggy count how many times each stage appears in screenshots, but I think he'd actually do that, so I'd better not.
I was actually thinking of that before you mentioned it, because it totally feels lame to say "I predict nothing for tonight" on a Sunday. Not sure I'll bother, though, because unlike tracking characters, I don't really see what interesting information could be pulled out of it. >_>

JohnTinker said:
A demo would be FAR too big for the memory that comes with the Wii
The whole game has to be 4.7 GB or less, so I don't see why fitting a demo into, say, 200 MB is out of the question in terms of space.
Of course, Wii Ware not existing yet would be a good reason it's out of the question for now, but that's a separate issue. >_>

Firestorm said:
There is one game I would pay for a demo for and that is this one.
Pretty much.

MisterHero

TheOneGuy said:

To be honest, I bought the demo they made in 2003 (iirc) which had Billy Hatcher, Splinter Cell, Viewtiful Joe, SoulCalibur II and Sonic Adventure DX. I ended up getting 3 of those games.
Splinter Cell, Viewtiful Joe, SoulCalibur II
:lol

Yeah but really Nintendo Power should give them out from time to time.

MisterHero said:
To be honest, I bought the demo they made in 2003 (iirc) which had Billy Hatcher, Splinter Cell, Viewtiful Joe, SoulCalibur II and Sonic Adventure DX. I ended up getting 3 of those games.

Yeah but really Nintendo Power should give them out from time to time.

Damn, that demo was so hard to find. I remember calling 4 or 5 GS just to check if they had it. In the end I found it used for $8

Neo Child

Banned
Ive never paid for a game
demo
in my life.

I dont want to start now =/

Why would they charge? IT would be a start getting demos, but not charging for them.

No one is saying they will pay for every demo, but for a smash bros brawl demo. I bet some of you people saying that wont pay for a demo, have indeed paid for one in GS, like lets say, When you put $5 on a game, youre paying for the demo. When you buy OXM youre paying for a demo and a mag. And now, Xbox live users with gold account pay for getting demos before silver users.

TreIII

Slight update...caught this while perusing the Smash Boards...

SamuraiPanda said:
I never bothered reading the "gone gold" stuff. I had just assumed it was real, and I frankly didn't care (Its coming out in a month people, just be patient). But I finally got around to reading it and noticed it cited a Japanese site. So I looked on the site and noticed that the picture was not there (or I just didn't see it). Then I decided to read the Japanese; Literally translated, it means "Picture in production." Which means that they didn't have a picture for the game on the site, so they used the picture that everyone is using as proof for a placeholder.

Then why does it say "Now Printing"? Well, as smart as those Japanese people are, they have horrible English. But oddly enough, they love to throw in English whenever and wherever possible. This was simply a case of mistranslation on their part, which people took as proof that Brawl has gone gold. Yes, Brawl could have already gone gold, but this picture does not prove anything. Sorry people.

The only thing this changes is that people can no longer know for sure that the game wont be delayed again. That said, I still believe the game will be released in a month in Japan, and that won't change despite this being debunked.

- http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=133675

Like he said (I can also verify his kanji-transliteration assessment), this doesn't really change anything in the long run, besides the notion that we probably can't expect any leaks...for a while longer. And until further notice, this means we can still expect the release dates to stick.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic. :D

MisterHero said:
I got that demo free with Mario Kart: Double Dash. :D

Neo Child

Banned
SixStringPsycho said:
No one is saying they will pay for every demo, but for a smash bros brawl demo. I bet some of you people saying that wont pay for a demo, have indeed paid for one in GS, like lets say, When you put $5 on a game, youre paying for the demo. When you buy OXM youre paying for a demo and a mag. And now, Xbox live users with gold account pay for getting demos before silver users.

Now your just trying to twist the definition.

If I have XBox Gold already (used to) and they introduced the whole demo-earlier-for-gold-subscribers more recently, I'm still just paying for Gold and not Gold + Demo's.

We're talking about straight up paying for demo, and that is that. Not paying for something that includes a demo.

I had a whole paragraph on some sex prostitution to prove my point, but im too tired to structure it properly so i just deleted it.

CreatureX3 said:
I essentially paid for that demo when I bought Mario Kart: Double Dash. :D

Fixed =]

MisterHero

Neo Child said:
I don't know about that. I spent $10 for mine. But if IIRC some, if not all, had to pre-order MK to get the included demo.

I guess that would mean paying for it, even if it saves $10 getting them seperately. :p

In the end I really understand not wanting to pay for a demo. But at the same time I can understand the appreciation for spending a little extra for game demos.

I hope Nintendo Power is listening. =(

Jiggy

Kandinsky said:
Man this week is going to suck so bad :(
After the last update, I was really holding out hope that the VC update for NA on Monday would be awesome. And it does have Bubble Bobble, which is objectively great (and something everybody should buy unless they already own it), but not long enough to carry me through an entire week. >_> Back to the post-game of Jeanne D'Arc I go, but that too isn't going to hold out much longer...

Captain N

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but EB games/Gamestop will be getting the final retail copy of Smash some point soon. It will take the place of Mario Galaxy.

Iam Canadian

We shall persevere.

Jiggy's mastery of statistics will keep the thread alive. Quick, Jigs! Whip up some stats about how often Sakurai uses exclamation points as opposed to periods.

Regarding the number in the top left corner, I'll bet it's a completely superfluous score counter, a part of any classic side-scrolling platform game. If Sakurai really wants to be cool, he'll add a high-score table or award extra lives for breaking certain point thresholds or something.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hey everybody, where are all the predictions? I predict a new assist trophy tonight, maybe something from F-Zero.

....oh wait. =(

baby_cry-thumb.jpg

Iam Canadian

Danthrax said:
Hey everybody, where are all the predictions? I predict a new assist trophy tonight, maybe something from F-Zero.

....oh wait. =(

baby_cry-thumb.jpg

metaaxecry.png

Though if anyone, anywhere, ever has deserved a break after some hard work, then Sakurai has, considering how well-crafted this game is.

Jiggy

Captain N said:
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but EB games/Gamestop will be getting the final retail copy of Smash some point soon. It will take the place of Mario Galaxy.
Two questions:
1) How soon?
2) If I become an employee right away, can I "borrow" the copy overnight? :( I'd have it back before opening hours!

Iam Canadian said:
We shall persevere.

Jiggy's mastery of statistics will keep the thread alive. Quick, Jigs! Whip up some stats about how often Sakurai uses exclamation points as opposed to periods.
I've been whipping up stats while bored, but unfortunately they're not related to this thread. >_> I have, however, found out that despite my hyperbolic claims that VC comprises "like 95%" of what I love about Wii, VC games actually only make up 67% of the money I spend on Wii software. And it would be substantially less if I hadn't gotten Metroid Prime 3 for free, I hadn't paid for the disc price portion of Wii Play and some of Super Paper Mario with gift cards, and Mario Galaxy hadn't come with that $25 gift card.

Firestorm

Captain N said:

Oh godammit some loser's going to leak it and pirates everywhere will play it 3 weeks early =/ Bullshit.

Erm, I assume you mean demo right? If you mean the stock they're supposed to put up on February 10th I'm going to hope one of the smaller game/video stores break street date >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom