• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$499 Steam Machine from iBuyPower Revealed [Up: AMD CPU, Radeon 270 GPU]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure this is the right place to discuss it but the only thing I find difficult about using a "Steam Machine" is competitive games. You know, the Call of Duties, Battlefields, that sort of thing because anyone using a mouse and keyboard has a huge advantage. I've been playing BF4 on my HTPC and my KD/R is horrible...like 0.4 horrible. I tried it on my desktop PC and got a solid 1:1 minimum.

People might be quick to brush this issue off but it is a huge one if Steam Machines are going to be popular. Have Valve taken this into consideration? I doubt the Steam Controller alone will be enough to narrow the gulf. They can't really enforce "controller only" servers for competitive games, it'd be too easy to manipulate.
People have used wireless keyboards and mice for years...That still remains an option to anyone.

MisterM

People have used wireless keyboards and mice for years...That still remains an option to anyone.

It does. But it's not an elegant solution. Sat on the sofa you need a hard surface like a tv-dinner tray or something...or a trackball I suppose. If they could optionally segregate controller users in competitive games and have it somehow foolproof it would be much better IMO.

Kysen

AMD cpu = no go. If you wanted to go intel would you need to buy a new box or somehow replace the motherboard? Also if there is no windows license included how can you play EA games not on steam?(BF4, DA, ME)

kudoboi

AMD cpu = no go. If you wanted to go intel would you need to buy a new box or somehow replace the motherboard? Also if there is no windows license included how can you play EA games not on steam?(BF4, DA, ME)

you can install windows if you wish. there are other steam boxes with intel CPUs and there are some that support Origin too.

Xi3 Piston
dsc02682-1384301377.jpg

Khaz

It does. But it's not an elegant solution. Sat on the sofa you need a hard surface like a tv-dinner tray or something...or a trackball I suppose. If they could optionally segregate controller users in competitive games and have it somehow foolproof it would be much better IMO.

Just use the gabepad then.

Just like you play them on WiiU. You wait for a port.

Or stream them from your desktop gaming rig that you already have to your Steam Machine. Or install Windows on it, it's a PC after all.

MisterM

Just use the gabepad then.

Like I said, I don't think it'll be enough to narrow the advantage gap enough. Obviously I don't know for sure and I hope it is enough but I just don't see it happening personally.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not shitting on Steam Machines. I built one for myself and I love it, I can just imagine the "masses" complaining about this point in particular. I plan on getting a PS4 next year and using it for competitive couch gaming and exclusives unless the Gabepad really does come close to KBAM controls.

MisterM

do steamboxes require the linux steamOS to be 'certified'? Or can they just be a windows PC in a nice box?

I believe they can run either. Gabe doesn't want to force people into SteamOS apparently (as much as I'm sure he wants people to use it).

do steamboxes require the linux steamOS to be 'certified'? Or can they just be a windows PC in a nice box?

I think they can come with Windows, but I am not sure. You can definitely install Windows on your own of course.

For what is worth though Valve have apparently demonstrated their prototypes with both SteamOS and Windows, so probably they won't apply such a restriction. http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5...chine-valves-video-game-console-of-the-future

As far as performance is concerned, Valve's Steam Machine with SteamOS certainly seemed up to snuff, at least with these high-end components. The team switched between a Windows and SteamOS box halfway through our demo, and I couldn't tell the difference.

Zeknurn

It wouldn't surprise me if that SteamOS will be required to be installed on the device for it to be known as a "Steam Machine".

Khaz

I believe they can run either. Gabe doesn't want to force people into SteamOS apparently (as much as I'm sure he wants people to use it).

Yes these boxes aren't restricted. But in term of marketing the question is valid. Will the manufacturers be able to use Valve and Steam names if they don't provide SteamOS installed by default?

But Valve themselves said they aren't, at least in one of the recent articles during the big coverage. For now they want to give options for their existing customers.

That's typical Valve. They start out all humble and reserved, next thing you know they've dominated the market. Valve are trying to position SteamOS as the Android of gaming. If it works, Sony and Microsoft could share the fate of Blackberry and Nokia in a few years. This $499 machine is the first shot fired.

Much cheaper than I expected. If some no-name PC builder can put together a Steam Machine at this price, the hardware OEMs should be able to release some very competitive devices. Samsung alone could come in and completely own the market with their aggressive marketing.

Exactly. Just imagine a Samsung Galaxy Box or something. It could be huge.

Martian

I would love a steam machine.

I hate the fact that I dont have a clue about anything PC spec related, when I want to play with Keyboard and mouse. Thats what I love about consoles: just plug it in and start playing. If only it was with KBM, which I hope the Steam Machines will cover.

If its a reasonable prices (max 700) and is able to function like any other pc (word, firefox, everything else) consider me a buyer

Usobuko

Banned
Also the vast majority of that MMO money is coming in from Asia, where consoles will never make a significant dent.

This doesn't matter. You're not going to be able to play these MMO unless you understand their language.

The PC market is much bigger than console but the way I see it is the PC comprise of two rather distinct market that barely overlap each other.

It's a better deal than pretty much every prebuilt PC, which is where Valve should be focusing. In 2 years we'll have mid-range PC parts several times more powerful than next generation consoles, that's when these things will start to shine.

I agree, I think in a few years it will be a better deal, but the way PC games are recently being optimized (CoD, Asscreed, Watch Dogs) a PC that is not much more powerful than a PS4 won't take you very far. People shouldn't be making a 1:1 comparsion with consoles. Steam Machines are not in a closed environment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For $500 it's not a bad deal if it's upgradeable, but either way it's better than the prebuilt garbage you get from Dell, HP, etc.

As for as this thing vs PS4, console games are much more optimized than PC ones since there's one configuration to worry about so I don't think it's better.

where are people getting $500 from?

If machines like this are produced, they'll cost more than a standard PC in a box for similar specs, because they'll require custom cases and will be marketed at gamers. I'd say you'd be looking at $1000 for something like this with a good spec (like a GTX770 or up included)

where are people getting $500 from?

If machines like this are produced, they'll cost more than a standard PC in a box for similar specs, because they'll require custom cases and will be marketed at gamers. I'd say you'd be looking at $1000 for something like this with a good spec (like a GTX770 or up included)

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5146398/ibuypower-steam-machine-499-radeon-r9-270

$499
multicore AMD CPU
discrete AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive
Valve's Linux-based Steam OS

The GPU can run BF4 on High, 1080p, @60fps: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-270-review-benchmarks,3669-4.html

"The Radeon R9 270 performs so much like the Radeon HD 7870 that even the most seasoned gamer wouldn't be able to tell them apart."

Dolor

One other factor is at least for me I don't have to pay sales taxes (8%) on hardware from these guys. That is roughly $40 of savings.

Kitty

Banned
Great to see the first machines starting to pop up.

Wouldn't be shocked if the likes of Samsung, LG, Dell, HP and so starts to make and sell Steam Machines as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5146398/ibuypower-steam-machine-499-radeon-r9-270

$499
multicore AMD CPU
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive

The GPU can run BF4 on High, 1080p, @60fps: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-270-review-benchmarks,3669-4.html

"The Radeon R9 270 performs so much like the Radeon HD 7870 that even the most seasoned gamer wouldn't be able to tell them apart."

A perfect entry point to the world of PC gaming. Small, fast, competitively priced.

$499
multicore AMD CPU
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive

Bf4 used an example but there is not origin Linux client and game is not on steam :/ I imagine issues like this may be a problem for some people unless they want to install Windows

mrklaw

MrArseFace

$499
multicore AMD CPU
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive

hmm, not bad. Wonder how much the AMD CPU will hold some PC games back though.

dsk1210

$499
multicore AMD CPU
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive

That's actually damn impressive specs for the price.

Remembering that you can install windows on it and have access to all the previous gen games, but rendering at higher frame rates and resolutions.

Oh c'mon now it's not that bad. You sound pretty ass hurt over it.Probably not even a final design, not to mention there will probably be many designs.

I... What?

I'm glad you like it. I don't.

But I think you should start respecting other's opinions and stop jumping into absurd conclusions.

Bf4 used an example but there is not origin Linux client and game is not on steam :/ I imagine issues like this may be a problem for some people unless they want to install Windows

I imagine right now there's hope that SteamOS will catch on but if it doesn't OEMs will probably make +$100 versions of their Steam Machines with a Windows license. If Steam Machines ever become fairly popular I don't think this will be before the first two years anyway.

Nzyme32

Exactly. Just imagine a Samsung Galaxy Box or something. It could be huge.

My personal opinion is that a Samsung Galaxy Steam Machine is inevitable. They are the sort of company that would kill to have a box in the lounge ahead of someone like apple. They already make many of their own components that would allow them to save a large amount.

The real fear comes with the same problems android has - How do you stop a company like Samsung making a mess of the OS with all their own bloatware "features". It would basically put us all back in the pre-built pc boat where you traditionally get a pile of shit loaded on your computer, slowing it down to a crawl

Kitty

Banned
My personal opinion is that a Samsung Galaxy Steam Machine is inevitable. They are the sort of company that would kill to have a box in the lounge ahead of someone like apple. They already make many of their own components that would allow them to save a large amount.

The real fear comes with the same problems android has - How do you stop a company like Samsung making a mess of the OS with all their own bloatware "features". It would basically put us all back in the pre-built pc boat where you traditionally get a pile of shit loaded on your computer, slowing it down to a crawl

This is what I think as well, a Samsung Galaxy Steam Machine will see the light of day.
Regarding them messing with the OS the only way I can think of is them making a "Galaxy" skin/theme for SteamOS and maybe some apps/plugins.

Doubt Valve will let them do much more tbh.

Off topic and probably completely stupid question, but:

Can you install another operating system on this? I'm asking because I've long wanted to set up a Dolphin emulator as well as a great gaming PC but i'm apprehensive of being locked to Linux.

That thing would fit in perfectly in the all white living room of the future that only exists in movies.

Anyways, specs and price or it doesn't matter. It needs to be sub $500 to count, especially when Gabe says Steam OS will be useless for anything other than games and you can buy a a PS4/X1 that plays games and has the benefit of being useful for other stuff.

Can you install another operating system on this? I'm asking because I've long wanted to set up a Dolphin emulator as well as a great gaming PC but i'm apprehensive of being locked to Linux.

Yes, this has been confirmed, Steam Machines won't lock you to the OS they come with.

Yes, you can. I take it most people will dual-boot these things anyway.

Nzyme32

Now I don't have to build a HTPC/living room gaming PC. I'll just wait for these Steam boxes. I'm just hoping we can install Windows 7 on these so we can use them for more than just gaming.

According to the Seattle times you can do exactly that. Linux is accessible to advanced users and you can install any other OS you like. How easy this is to do is a bit of a mystery at the moment though

That thing would fit in perfectly in the all white living room of the future that only exists in movies.

Anyways, specs and price or it doesn't matter. It needs to be sub $500 to count, especially when Gabe says Steam OS will be useless for anything other than games and you can buy a a PS4/X1 that plays games and has the benefit of being useful for other stuff.

1) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91360861&postcount=223
2) Actually they said they are working with streaming services to make them work on SteamOS and of course Steam has browsing capabilities on its own so it doesn't just play games while PS4/X1 do significantly more. Let's wait and see what you can and cannot do with SteamOS.

Nzyme32

There are going to be Steam Machines from many different manufacturers, or just build your own and customize it to your liking.

STEAM_M_console_controller_hero_large_verge_super_wide.jpg

To clarify, this image is the Valve prototype - 300 being made and given out to beta testers only

However, the CAD files for the case will be released. If you like the case and want to build your own rig console thing, there will be manufacturers that sell the case and the controller will also be available (manufactured by valve themselves)

The iBuyPower images you see are a Prototype. As with the Valve prototype, these are likely to become more elegant when in full production.

And since this always get brought up - the steam controllers in some images look "cheap", that is because they are 3d printed prototypes. The final version sold with machines and in retail will also likely be more refined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom