• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$499 Steam Machine from iBuyPower Revealed [Up: AMD CPU, Radeon 270 GPU]

Status
Not open for further replies.

synce

For $500 it's not a bad deal if it's upgradeable, but either way it's better than the prebuilt garbage you get from Dell, HP, etc.

As for as this thing vs PS4, console games are much more optimized than PC ones since there's one configuration to worry about so I don't think it's better.

Reg

Banned
I want these things to do well, but if they don't get support from the big publishers then they'll be doa or they'll just attract a very niche audience.

goomba

Banned
more powerful than ps4 or xbone
upgradable
built on open standards
gaming optimised os (steamos) or windows
cheaper games (steam sales and lower launch prices)
new controller with haptics and touchscreen

these things look to be consoles for true hardcore gamers

Rflagg

Hell, I love to see what they can put together for $1000.
With what the ibuypower 500 dollar one has in it I would seriously think long and hard about going for a $1000 steam machine over building a new pc. This is assuming full steam catalog while also allowing origin, gog, amazon, etc to compete on the platform.

Exuro

With what the ibuypower 500 dollar one has in it I would seriously think long and hard about going for a $1000 steam machine over building a new pc. This is assuming full steam catalog while also allowing origin, gog, amazon, etc to compete on the platform.
Well for that you will have to put windows on it.

cf31JkD.gif

This thing is fucking ugly.

panty

And people are complaining about the PS4's led strip, LOL

That thing is ugly as hell. Would not buy as a gaming PC owner.

MrHicks

Banned
how the fuck do ibuypower and all these "gaming rig" companies stay in bussiness?
their shit is always waaaaaaay overpriced

like several hundred dollars more for the same shit at a "generic" shop
is a fancy case really worth all that extra cash

people are stupid my god

MCasey

I was going to build a PC (i5-GTX 760) to connect to my TV and use BIg Picture Mode, but I'm wondering if I should now wait. I never built a PC and since i want to connect it to my TV anyway, the steam machine might be my best option?
Building it myself would cost $750.

I think I may wait till CES to hear more about other manufacturers, prices, and compatible games through steam OS.
If the cost is around the same as building your own or cheaper, then it's perfect for me.
Anyone in the same situation?
There are other issues as well, like whether games like The Witcher 3 will run so much better on a steam machine (i5-GTX 760) than a PS4 where it's worth the extra money?

Martian

Can you still use it with mouse and keyboard? Because I want one if its like a standardised PC for running games (and also is able to run normal PC things)

Grief.exe

Can you still use it with mouse and keyboard? Because I want one if its like a standardised PC for running games (and also is able to run normal PC things)

Yes. It has plenty of USB, and even a PS2 port on the back.

Keep in mind that the SteamOS is treated as an open system, not closed. You can install whatever hardware, drivers, or programs that are compatible with that particular version of Linux.
Or just dualboot Windows for maximum utility.

Hagi

more powerful than ps4 or xbone
upgradable
built on open standards
gaming optimised os (steamos) or windows
cheaper games (steam sales and lower launch prices)
new controller with haptics and touchscreen

these things look to be consoles for true hardcore gamers

lol "true hardcore gamers"

Nice to see while all the console war bullshit is going on there's still a little PC master race hubris in the background.

I'm still a little undecided on these things. I don't really have the room for a second PC setup though it's cool to have the option for something like this for the future. I really just want to see some of the OS.

There are going to be Steam Machines from many different manufacturers, or just build your own and customize it to your liking.

STEAM_M_console_controller_hero_large_verge_super_wide.jpg

Is this an actual product or just a random mock up? Designs pretty cool.

Grief.exe

That's Valve's Steam Machine prototype.

To elaborate, Valve is producing that particular version of the Steam Machine along with the controller. That is what the product will look like when it is released in 2014.

Valve is allowing other companies to make their own versions of Steam Machines, but only Valve is manufacturing the controller.

We can build our own Steam Machines by building a HTPC and running the SteamOS as the base. SteamOS iso will be freely available for anyone to download.

i'm keeping my eye on the steam box. i'm in a one console future but perhaps if this ends up being more i might think about getting one.

if anything i really want to try that controller out so bad.

Quasar

More capable than both. Close to 7870. But also have to take into consider consoles are in a closed environment. Verge said that no Windows is shipping with this so that negates playing all steam titles

Have to say, if the video card is just a normal full sized card (and thus upgradable) I'd consider buying one of these (or another brand similarly specced/priced).

Quasar

how the fuck do ibuypower and all these "gaming rig" companies stay in bussiness?
their shit is always waaaaaaay overpriced

like several hundred dollars more for the same shit at a "generic" shop
is a fancy case really worth all that extra cash

people are stupid my god

Well I'm not sure I could build a system for that price in a htpc style case. Though the vagueness of a multicore AMD CPU leaves lots of wiggle room. certainly I seem to recall tha PCPer article and their 270 based rig was 800 whilst their 500$ box was AMD APU based.

Valve are gunning for the traditional console market. Anyone who still doesn't see that is simply in denial.

But Valve themselves said they aren't, at least in one of the recent articles during the big coverage. For now they want to give options for their existing customers.

Is this an actual product or just a random mock up? Designs pretty cool.

That's what the 300 testers will get. But Valve said they'll release the source CAD files, so anyone can build that case.

Durante

The two companies I can picture making really good and affordable steam machines are Asus and MSI. They can get away with making them really thin too by using their laptop components.
Yeah, particularly Asus. I really want them to build a Steam Machine based on their "Zenbook" designs. All brushed aluminum of course. Price is a secondary concern :p

SparkTR

Sorry but that's not a better deal.

It's a better deal than pretty much every prebuilt PC, which is where Valve should be focusing. In 2 years we'll have mid-range PC parts several times more powerful than next generation consoles, that's when these things will start to shine.

Hagi

That's Valve's Steam Machine prototype.

To elaborate, Valve is producing that particular version of the Steam Machine along with the controller. That is what the product will look like when it is released in 2014.

Valve is allowing other companies to make their own versions of Steam Machines, but only Valve is manufacturing the controller.

We can build our own Steam Machines by building a HTPC and running the SteamOS as the base. SteamOS iso will be freely available for anyone to download.

Ah cool thanks for the info.

Skyzard

Banned
No shit it's not a white PS4, that's one awful looking box imo. Maybe in pitch black it would be alright, otherwise...

Zeknurn

Much cheaper than I expected. If some no-name PC builder can put together a Steam Machine at this price, the hardware OEMs should be able to release some very competitive devices. Samsung alone could come in and completely own the market with their aggressive marketing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I love the Digital Storm Bolt except for the price. If capable PCs like that or smaller really catch on, then bless Gabe.
But you'd have to be out of your damned mind not to install Windows.

MisterM

Not sure this is the right place to discuss it but the only thing I find difficult about using a "Steam Machine" is competitive games. You know, the Call of Duties, Battlefields, that sort of thing because anyone using a mouse and keyboard has a huge advantage. I've been playing BF4 on my HTPC and my KD/R is horrible...like 0.4 horrible. I tried it on my desktop PC and got a solid 1:1 minimum.

People might be quick to brush this issue off but it is a huge one if Steam Machines are going to be popular. Have Valve taken this into consideration? I doubt the Steam Controller alone will be enough to narrow the gulf. They can't really enforce "controller only" servers for competitive games, it'd be too easy to manipulate.

Morzak

Valve only produces the prototype, they have no plans to produce final steam machines and they talked about it multiple times.

Steam OS also doesn't seem to be as open as people are believing it to be (you could install unbuntu+ Steam to get an open Linux solution though), weren't the early previews saying that you can't access the distro under the steam layer? The biggest hurdle for Steam OS will be the pretty small library at the start. Either you install windows or you loose one of the big strengths of steam.

I will have a look at it for streaming purposes but only if Steam OS is truly open or the streaming function is available in the normal Steam client.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If the box delivers on the 1080p/60fps promise they can put goatse on it for all I care. I'd rather have ugly hardware than play ugly games.

Valve only produces the prototype, they have no plans to produce final steam machines and they talked about it multiple times.

That's not true, in fact they have said precisely the opposite. http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

So are most of these going to be Linux-based Steam Boxes?

We’ll come out with our own and we’ll sell it to consumers by ourselves. That’ll be a Linux box, [and] if you want to install Windows you can. We’re not going to make it hard. This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination. We also think that a controller that has higher precision and lower latency is another interesting thing to have.

from the recent Engadget article: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/valve-steam-machine-hands-on/

Take a good hard look at Valve's Steam Machine, because it's the last time you'll see it. Er, something like that. Only 300 of the metal beast above will ship to beta testers, and then Valve says it's cutting off its own supply of Steam Machines. "We're really building this as a test platform, and there are many machines that are gonna be made by third-parties. They're the ones that will be available commercially in 2014," Valve designer Greg Coomer told Engadget.

Article is from january, it seems they changed their mind. It's probably easier to entice OEM's to produce Steam branded boxes if you don't release a product that competes with them.

Seems you two are right, Valve said they will contract a large-scale manufacturer to build their controllers once they move into full blown production but in mind I had thought they said that about the Steam Machines as well...

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2022180559_briercolumn04xml.html

These souped-up boxes work with an entirely new game controller that Valve designed and built from scratch in workshops the company cobbled together in Bellevue, partly with tools scavenged from co-founder Gabe Newell’s garage.

Apparently, Valve is a believer in the old saying, if you want something done right, you’ve got to do it yourself. Early on, it worked with design and prototyping vendors, but decided that it could learn more doing it all in-house.

Valve also is redefining the PC industry term “original equipment manufacturer,” or OEM.

Its offices in a downtown Bellevue high-rise now have 3-D printers whirring away printing PC components, right next to a room full of programmers intently peering into their big monitors.

There are also laser-cutting machines and other tools for designing, building and testing prototypes. The landlord said no to a full-blown factory, so the game controllers that Valve is providing to 300 testers this fall are being produced by employees at a shop in Overlake.

If the platform takes off, Valve eventually will contract for large-scale manufacturing of controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom