• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$499 Steam Machine from iBuyPower Revealed [Up: AMD CPU, Radeon 270 GPU]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

It does. But it's not an elegant solution. Sat on the sofa you need a hard surface like a tv-dinner tray or something...or a trackball I suppose. If they could optionally segregate controller users in competitive games and have it somehow foolproof it would be much better IMO.

The simple solution is that there can be servers that are mouse and keyboard only and others that are controller only. And maybe even others that are mixed. Hosting is not as limited as in xblive and ps+, so this should be theoretically possible and enforceable via VAC

smr00

Banned
This crap will never die, right? Because so many PC games on medium settings look as good as KZSF...
I can run most games on high/ultra with the 660.

Games like BF4 i have to run on a mixed of medium/high for 1080p/60fps and guess what? Looks superior to xbox one and ps4. The point i am making is a mid-range card will out perform the current systems. You may not be able to max everything out but you can still outperform them and still look better.

MisterM

The simple solution is that there can be servers that are mouse and keyboard only and others that are controller only. And maybe even others that are mixed. Hosting is not as limited as in xblive and ps+, so this should be theoretically possible and enforceable via VAC

That's what I was thinking. I doubt it'll ever happen though. All I want is this and I'll never yearn for a console again.

ironcreed

Banned
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5146398/ibuypower-steam-machine-499-radeon-r9-270

$499
multicore AMD CPU
discrete AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive
Valve's Linux-based Steam OS

The GPU can run BF4 on High, 1080p, @60fps: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-270-review-benchmarks,3669-4.html

"The Radeon R9 270 performs so much like the Radeon HD 7870 that even the most seasoned gamer wouldn't be able to tell them apart."

Yeah, this will easily outpace the new consoles. No subscription to play online, either. Not to mention Steam deals and how I love the concept behind the controller. Hm, decisions, decisions.

mcrommert

Banned
Its ugly. But its the future of console industry. Open standards, open OS, unified platform for software makers, but many manufacturers of the hardware. Just like video and pc gaming business. Private console businesses will always be limited in their scope of games and features compared to a model like Steam Machine.

Depending on how accurately Steam Controller is able to level with the mouse, I think Sony and MS would most likely be releasing PS5 and Xbox 3 as their own Steam Machines.

I'll put down $10 on that here with someone.

You are joking right...and the ouya will replace everyone's console. We've heard it all before.

Yeah, this will easily outpace the new consoles. No subscription to play online, either. Not to mention Steam deals and how I love the concept behind the controller. Hm, decisions, decisions.

I'd probably wait for more proven OEMs to show their models also for more detail regarding this (like CPU). CES can't come soon enough.

hoserx

I have never dealt with a worse company than ibuypower, just an FYI.

I bought a laptop from them in the fall of 2010....... I ordered it on black friday. I finally received it on December 20th. It didn't even boot up. I called support immediately, set up an RMA, and after a bunch of nonsense including being lied to about ship dates, stock, and "repairs" they were doing to the machine, I received it in the beginning of March of the following year. The one they sent me was visibly beat up and had cracks in the chassis. I sent this back and just asked for a refund, which they said was not possible because I had purchased it almost 5 months ago........ so I shipped it back again, receiving a new , working laptop in the beginning of april.....

December of that year, the machine just stopped turning on. I called ibuypower support, and of course.... "sorry, your warranty has expired"

I purchased it 13 months ago........ but only had a working laptop for about 8 months...... Anyways, I yanked the SSD out and sold the dead laptop on ebay. I took a $600 loss overall. They offered no sort of help...... saying it would be $150 for them to even look at the machine............

YMMV but there are other stories like this online, and I will never give that company a single dollar again.

ironcreed

Banned
You are joking right...and the ouya will replace everyone's console. We've heard it all before.

While this concept will not be taking over consoles anytime soon, it is most definitely how things should be. In which case :

frabz-Hes-right-you-know-967a8c.jpg

sensi97

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5146398/ibuypower-steam-machine-499-radeon-r9-270

$499
multicore AMD CPU
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive

The GPU can run BF4 on High, 1080p, @60fps: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-270-review-benchmarks,3669-4.html

"The Radeon R9 270 performs so much like the Radeon HD 7870 that even the most seasoned gamer wouldn't be able to tell them apart."

Beside the GPU, to achieve that 1080p 60fps on high, they use this setup:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-270-review-benchmarks,3669-2.html

I doubt their AMD cpu is as good as an Intel Core i5-2550K Overclocked to 4.2 GHz @ 1.3 V.
And I don't know if they'll use PC3-14900 as in tomshardware's benchmark.

d1rtn4p

That looks damn amazing. Comparing it against the current line of consoles, this is easily easily my favorite looking of the bunch.

ironcreed

Banned
I'd probably wait for more proven OEMs to show their models also for more detail regarding this (like CPU). CES can't come soon enough.

Oh, I'll be waiting for sure. Just seeing that this is actually going to be a thing at the price I was hoping for is enough for now, though.

Beside the GPU, to achieve that 1080p 60fps on high, they use this setup:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-270-review-benchmarks,3669-2.html

I doubt their AMD cpu is as good as an Intel Core i5-2550K Overclocked to 4.2 GHz @ 1.3 V.
And I don't know if they'll use PC3-14900 as in tomshardware's benchmark.

There are a lot of things we don't know, sure, and of course a GPU benchmark uses a CPU that won't bottleneck it... As for RAM, I doubt it makes a big difference..

But more important than whether iBP's CPU is as good as TH's CPU used in the benchmarks is whether it's better than the CPU on the consoles. ;)

Dario ff

Banned
Isn't using an AMD card as the first prototype for a Linux-based system a bit risky considering their OpenGL support is way worse than Nvidia's at the moment? I'm not very aware of the current situation, just going by what the Dolphin devs wrote. It could get better later, but this thing is supposed to be one of the first prototypes fairly soon.

I'm surprised by the price tho, although I'm gonna remain skeptic of what the PSU/CPU/Mobo is.

Isn't using an AMD card as the first prototype for a Linux-based system a bit risky considering their OpenGL support is way worse than Nvidia's at the moment? I'm not very aware of the current situation at the moment, just going by what the Dolphin devs wrote. It could get better later, but this thing is supposed to be one of the first prototypes fairly soon.

I'm surprised by the price tho, although I'm gonna remain skeptic of what the PSU/CPU/Mobo is.

True. But there aren't that many graphically demanding linux games on Steam (most of them are Valve's games, indie games, etc) so one might not even notice.

And I imagine by the time AAA games having a linux version becomes the norm AMD will have improved the situation.

Nzyme32

I genuinely want to see a discussion of how much of an impact $499 Steam machines that appear to be more powerful than the xbox one and ps4 will have on peoples choices for gaming.

Even more curious is what peoples positions would be if AAA games do show up at CES and more manufacturers show similar price performance.

MisterM

I genuinely want to see a discussion of how much of an impact $499 Steam machines that appear to be more powerful than the xbox one and ps4 will have on peoples choices for gaming.

Even more curious is what peoples positions would be if AAA games do show up at CES and more manufacturers show similar price performance.

I imagine it will put EA in an awkward situation if they do gain traction and other AAA studios/devs make Linux versions of their games.

If Retailers begin to market these machines it could blow up pretty quickly. all depends on marketing. Will they rely on word of mouth? Will they market these in magazines or commercials? Etc.

I know I will get one, especially at a 500$ price point with me being able to upgrade whenever I want. TV gaming will become divine.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
When these release in 2014, we'll see $399 and $450 price points that are more powerful than the ps4/xb1 (raw power) and it will only get crazier. I could see talented hardware companies like dell jumping in and drive the prices down quick (see tablets).

The market size for dedicated consoles will shrink this gen because of the increased viable competition from so many sources.

Alienous

$499
multicore AMD CPU
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive

If they sell it for that, I'm definitely on board.

This is where console exclusives will fuck things up. There is literally no reason to buy an Xbone with this thing coming, except for the fact Microsoft will have some exclusives for it.

Nzyme32

So you guys think these will be upgradable? Aren't pre-built PCs locked down? Like what about Alienware?

If I recall correctly the Alienware machines can also be modified with new components but this is limited by case size. In the past, pre-bought PCs have had some components locked down. But this should not be the case with Steam Machines

In theory, the mantra with Steam Machines as a concept is that they can be upgraded at will, the advantage of PCs in the first place. For a manufacturer to prevent that would surely mean its not a Steam Machine.

Valve also mention a system that will be discussed in future to make it easy for people to understand what components they need to change if I game will not run perfectly

If purchasing a machine for $499, the opportunity to be able to upgrade at a later date is very exciting

Nzyme32

Wait wait wait wait...so your saying this thing is more powerful than a Bone and costs the same???

Graphics hardware wise, we are saying that. But the specifics of the CPU and RAM are unknown at the moment. The promise of 1080p and 60fps for most games though suggests they will be more than competent

$499
multicore AMD CPU
Valve's Steam Controller
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
500GB hard drive

Yep kick that baby out at 499 next year and It will be mine lol so much for thinking I wont be playing Titanfall! haha

Im really surprised though like damn! And theres the steam sales?!

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom