• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

djtiesto said:
Love the new stage, only thing I'm kind of disappointed on is that the background seems to be a bit blurry, is this a stylistic thing?
Yep, one of Pikmin's prettier features was a rather nice-looking depth of field effect, which they look to have kept consistent for the Smash stage.

MisterHero

That stage is actually Miyamoto's back yard. Every now and then he'll come by and stomp you flat.

but exalt you if you are either Mario, Link or Donkey Kong

Wii-za

REALLY NICE STAGE!!! :D :D :D

Oh and btw....this is true:

JohnTinker said:
Just in case you gents missed my post from the other thread:

Originally Posted by Djarum @ SA:
The word I am hearing is that it was delayed due to problems with online play. Something came up bad in the last bit of large scale testing and they are trying to fix it before it is released.

I would imagine it is better for them to delay the game for a couple of weeks and have a pain free first couple of weeks for online play instead of having every jackass bitching on internet about how Nintendo can't do online right or how it is fucked up.

I got a source, who is connected and proven reliable in the past.

The last bit of online play testing brought up a bit of problems with the servers. I was not told exactly what but it is serious enough to delay the release of the game until it is sorted out. After they get it fixed for Japan you are going to have a delay while the changes and whatnot are translated and implemented for the US software.

The discs/game is already done and printed. I imagine there is a warehouse or two in Japan that are full of copies at this moment. It all has to do with the online servers. Like I said before, I would rather delay the game as Nintendo than have a ton of problems with the online portion. This even more important as this is the first "real" game that has real online options and play.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
djtiesto said:
Love the new stage, only thing I'm kind of disappointed on is that the background seems to be a bit blurry, is this a stylistic thing?
It looks like a stylistic thing. It works really well; the blurriness makes the stage look bigger.

Jiggy

RedShift said:
I expect this has already been pointed out, but the can in the background has the smash symbol on it
stage22_080115a-l.jpg
I think half the people didn't even know there was a stage yesterday at all, never mind pointing out that detail. :p

A Link to the Snitch said:
That'd be awesome - Nintendo could have basically any character playable, since there's less complications in making a character playable (ie, Angry Sun could be playable in SSBTCG, but not SSBB).
And I could main Lyn and Sami and Marin and Daisy and Hector and Grit and Sturm! :D

Jiggy

Well, guys, cheer up. :D Just eight weeks remai--just eight w---just ei---j---I can't even say it. ;_;

But for a more serious discussion. Does anyone else kind of wish they'd gone with a cel-shaded style for the whole game so that it would look good in perpetuity?

Fireblend

Banned
ant1532 said:
This short delay can only mean one thing.

Megaban

How much time does people think it takes for a game to be put in print and produce enough copies to satisfy a demand as huge as this one? The game is DONE. Ok, disregard if this was a joke. Or you want to get banned.

JohnTinker said:
Just in case you gents missed my post from the other thread:

The word I am hearing is that it was delayed due to problems with online play. Something came up bad in the last bit of large scale testing and they are trying to fix it before it is released.

I would imagine it is better for them to delay the game for a couple of weeks and have a pain free first couple of weeks for online play instead of having every jackass bitching on internet about how Nintendo can't do online right or how it is fucked up.

I got a source, who is connected and proven reliable in the past.

The last bit of online play testing brought up a bit of problems with the servers. I was not told exactly what but it is serious enough to delay the release of the game until it is sorted out. After they get it fixed for Japan you are going to have a delay while the changes and whatnot are translated and implemented for the US software.

The discs/game is already done and printed. I imagine there is a warehouse or two in Japan that are full of copies at this moment. It all has to do with the online servers. Like I said before, I would rather delay the game as Nintendo than have a ton of problems with the online portion. This even more important as this is the first "real" game that has real online options and play.

Well if this is true, there is no reason to attack Nintendo either. The online is a major part of the awesomeness of Brawl, and if there's problems then fix them as much as possible before product release.

But I wish they would just say that this is the case.

CTLance

Boo for the delay.
Yay for the new stage (awesome!).
Double yay for the eaetin yuor guyz photoshop.

Can't say I'm terribly fazed by the delay. I'm european after all, we'll be lucky to get it for Cristmas 08.

Crushed said:
I won't say it though. I'll just post a link to the company's site, where there's a version of the banner: http://www.litebulbs.co.uk/
And the interwebs continue to conspire against sporsk. :lol :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Ok, so I guess now I'm getting this game for the Mother and Pikmin stuff. Those Pikmin music remixes will be rad, I bet.

When I buy this, I will send a note to Nintendo that says "See, +1 sales only because of these two properties. Bring some more in the Mother/Pikmin franchises, and make sure it lands to America!"

I'm positive this will work. Full-proof!

I agree with whoever mentioned that this is like one of the only stages where there aren't a bunch of platforms floating in front of a background, you actually fight on a leaf. I really hope all the newer levels they show are like this, because that's been a big disappointment so far for me... not bad, just something that could be better. It would be like a Tony Hawk game where all the levels were made using the create a skatepark tool instead of the designers actually making unique objects and such.

Jenga

Banned
Hey, if it was delayed because of kinks with the servers, couldn't they have released Brawl just with online temporarily disabled? Just a question, honestly I don't mind the delay. Nintendo is one of those devs that delay games with good reason.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Like many others I'm hoping that more of the stages are really integrated into their environments like this one is. I also hope they look as gorgeous as this one too. It could be that a lot of the stages that we've seen were from early in development and the ones like Distant Planet have been designed more recently.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jenga said:
Hey, if it was delayed because of kinks with the servers, couldn't they have released Brawl just with online temporarily disabled? Just a question, honestly I don't mind the delay. Nintendo is one of those devs that delay games with good reason.

That would make things even worse.

Jenga said:

They could have, but that would have caused an even BIGGER backlash from the people that don't follow the game like we do.

Jenga said:

Might have been technically possible but I'm not sure about most people being okay with it. Also, think about the reviews that will take the lack of online into account even if it's temporary (that's kinda stupid, but I'm sure some would do it).

Speevy said:
I think Nintendo seriously overestimates how popular online will be if there's no lobby/server list system.

None of their other DS/Wii online titles have much more than bare-bones online, IIRC, and they all seem pretty damn popular. I think you're seriously underestimating the appeal of online play for a title like Smash, even if it doesn't approach the sophistication of top-end 360 titles.

Fireblend

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
None of their other DS/Wii online titles have much more than bare-bones online, IIRC, and they all seem pretty damn popular. I think you're seriously underestimating the appeal of online play for a title like Smash, even if it doesn't approach the sophistication of top-end 360 titles.

This. When Tetris, Animal Crossing or Mario Kart came out, it was pretty noticeable how Nintendo wasn't expecting such a huge response from the online features, which worked half the time thanks to this underestimation. Now we're talking about Smash Bros. There's no way Nintendo's gonna be prepared for the wave of people playing this online.

Fireblend said:
This. When Tetris, Animal Crossing or Mario Kart came out, it was pretty noticeable how Nintendo wasn't expecting such a huge response from the online features, which worked half the time thanks to this underestimation. Now we're talking about Smash Bros. There's no way Nintendo's gonna be prepared for the wave of people playing this online.

Not to mention Strikers Charged - the service went down in Europe over the first few days and remained patchy for a good week, and that was for a far, far less popular game with a far simpler online system.

Fireblend

Banned
Gekkonidae said:
:lol

That place has gone nuts. You'd think the game was canceled.
I already said this on the other thread, but that's the most elitist board I have ever visited. Maybe even more than GameFAQs. They think so high of themselves for some reason... I know everyone needs a community to belong to, but this is just too far. It's a game getting delayed just a month, it's not like Sakurai died or anything...

SexConker

Banned
If the game gets pushed back again to April, I'd LOVE for Sakurai to do a "Due to legal issues regarding 3rd party characters in Brawl, we've had to delay the game indefinitely." April Fool's post.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This game has captain Olimar, Pikmin and a Pikmin stage. By that logic, this game is now inherently a must-have. The only thing still on my wishlist is an EBA/Ouendan reference. Anything. Pretty please Sakurai

Meloche

stage22_080115d-l.jpg

Just how big is this stage?

Initially I thought it wouldn't play very well because of its rather unconventional layout, but judging by the size of the fighters in each screen relative to the environment (really glad to see they preserved the sense of scale from the Pikmin games) it should play pretty well. It's also damn gorgeous, and if the first music sample is any indication it'll probably feature some of the best music in the game too. I'm going to be playing as Olimar quite a bit, I think; I really really like Pikmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom