• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iam Canadian said:
I always thought that the existence of "Basic Brawl" sort of confirmed the fact that there would be some other variations. I mean, you don't call something basic unless there's something else to compare it to.
It's basic compared to Friends Mode, which allows custom settings.

Marth! Marth! Marth!
It is good to see a Marth fan. Most Marth players play Marth because he's good... We need more Marth players that have actually played FE1/3.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Iam Canadian said:
Crushed was making a wallpaper version every time the picture was updated, but I don't think he's done it lately.
I just tried... but it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. :/

1600x900 (widescreen)

1600x1200 (fullscreen)

Because there's so many characters now, the dude's widened the picture, changing the dimensions and aspect ratio... meaning that I can't resize the picture without cropping it, or adding blank space on the side (what I did for these ones), or else the pixels will become distorted.

Fireblend

Banned
A ranked brawl would be awesome. But aren't online statistics confirmed to be out by one of the dojo updates? Still, the game keeps track of your "offline" games, and on Mario Kart DS there was the "Play with someone your level" option; maybe we're getting something like that for the fourth option?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Fireblend said:
A ranked brawl would be awesome. But aren't online statistics confirmed to be out by one of the dojo updates? Still, the game keeps track of your "offline" games, and on Mario Kart DS there was the "Play with someone your level" option; maybe we're getting something like that for the fourth option?

I don't even need "stats," really. (Though I sure hope we get those for "with friends" fights.) Even just something like Star Fox Command, where it gave you a letter rank based on your overall performance. Just something to strive for, to let you know that you are indeed improving. I mean, even if we don't get a ranked mode, I'd want a matchmaking style mode that keeps track of your stats in secret just so you can fight people at your own skill level consistently. Once you get really really good, the basic brawl will lose a lot of its luster, given that it'll be populated with 90% scrubs.

Jiggy

KittenMaster said:
It is good to see a Marth fan. Most Marth players play Marth because he's good... We need more Marth players that have actually played FE1/3.
I'll play it when Fire Emblem DS is released. >_> I'm no Marth player, though.

Tathanen said:
I mean, even if we don't get a ranked mode, I'd want a matchmaking style mode that keeps track of your stats in secret just so you can fight people at your own skill level consistently.
I think I remember someone in this thread earlier saying that Mario Strikers does just that. Hopefully it's in play here as well.

Stuneseht

Jiggy37 said:

I think I remember someone in this thread earlier saying that Mario Strikers does just that. Hopefully it's in play here as well.
Not trying to be rude but, almost all you post recently has one of these: ">_>" in them.
What are you actually looking at. :lol

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:

Dunno about Strikers I have only played offline multiplayer, but Pokemon Battle Revolution does this. One of the reasons I stopped playing was because I didn't want to go through the initial crappy battles to get to good players =(

That and LV50 sucks.

HotByCold

Banned
Jiggy37 said:

Yes, mario strikers does try to match you with an suitable opponents but unfortunately fails miserably.

Jiggy

Stuneseht said:
Not trying to be rude but, almost all you post recently has one of these: ">_>" in them.
What are you actually looking at. :lol
I'm pretending not to be posting on a video game message board instead of playing video games. :(

No, actually I use it because as far as I know it implies a kind of non-serious tone and there aren't many things in life I take seriously.

Tathanen said:
Allow me to share my secret desire. (One that I posted originally on my own forums, but that will probably find more attention here.)

Most menus they've shown so far are designed in a fashion to maximize screen real estate. But.. not this one. They have buttons that are clearly quarter-screen size.. but only three of them. There have been menu screens before that purposely lack elements (the "with anyone / with friends" screen lacked the options button originally, and the event mode debut lacked the P2 entry text), so I don't think it would be unreasonable to suspect that this menu is indeed lacking one final button.

If that is in fact the case... I'm hoping for a ranked multiplayer mode. It's the sole feature that Brawl currently lacks that I truly lament. When looking at that "basic brawl" button, I can't help but think that the "basic" before it wouldn't be necessary unless there were a second kind of brawl with a different word before it. "Ranked Brawl," for example. After all, other menus normally just have a single large "Brawl" icon for the standard method of play. "Basic" really does imply a mode devoid of options, as well, which seems to demand a counterpoint somewhere.

When "with anyone" was originally revealed it indeed emphasized that there'd be no records, names, or anything of the sort.. but they noted that those conditions applied to the "basic brawl" division of "with anyone" when the basic brawl update was made. We don't actually even know what that "team battle" mode is yet, though it's probably easy to guess based on that commercial. The point is, they haven't explicitly stated that the "no records" rule applies to all buttons in "with anyone," just the "basic brawl" button. The descriptive text in the screen even explicitly notes "no names" for that specific button. I think it would certainly be reasonable to have name-included modes in there, such as a ranked one.

God knows I don't actually expect it, though. But hell if I won't hope against hope.
With the top right box saying Basic Brawl, it's all possible. I would honestly love to see a ranked online mode!

Scribble

bigmakstudios said:
I wonder what Sheik's role in Twilight Princess could have been.

She could have made a small cameo near the very beginning, the first time you
Meet Zelda she could have been in Sheik form. Lol.

TreIII

Cdammen said:
Now I need to buy a Wii. And I'm just wondering, are there any benefits to buying a Japanese Wii (except the obvious one, SSBB)? I'm not buying a European one (50hz VC games and delays galore) and it's impossible to get a hold of an American Wii (when available it's expensive and usually bundled with shitty games = no thanks).

1) Can I change the O/S to display English text instead of moon language?
2) Can I buy VC games and other stuff using an European Visa card? I could buy point cards from Play-Asia but I'm just wondering if I somehow can fool the credit card country check.
3) Is there a Wii Freeloader on the way?
4) I obviously need a stepdown converter :)

1) Nope.
2) Dunno about the specifics, but I would believe that credit is credit.
3) ...I wouldn't hold my breath.
4) ...Yeah, you probably will.

Any way, I would think that the other major thing to consider, when it comes to the JP Wii, is that you'll be able to get access to games that may or may not come to the States. God only knows if Capcom will really take the likes of Sengoku BASARA and Monster Hunter seriously over here, and I would personally prefer to NOT have to wait like a year or so later for SNK to release newer games for their Wii line-up over here either.

So, in that light, it was all the more incentive for me to break down, and purchase a JP Wii (along with DSBX), as basically my (late) "Christmas present to myself". :lol

Arghh...sp0rsk is right. This extra week of wait IS definitely going to be painful...

KittenMaster said:

Here! *waves*

Seriously...part of me wishes that they would also put in Princess Sheeda, Marth's Pegasus riding boo, just so we could have another great character from FE1/3 in this game (and help hype FEDS).

Stuneseht

Jiggy37 said:
I'm pretending not to be posting on a video game message board instead of playing video games. :(

No, actually I use it because as far as I know it implies a kind of non-serious tone and there aren't many things in life I take seriously.
Yeah, same here.:lol
<_< ^_^ >_>

Just wondering, now the game is delayed for a month extra, anyone who weren't gonna look at Japanese spoilers, have you changed your views and gonne get spoiled silly when the Japanese start busting out the secrets?

I am gonna do that, the wait and internet spoilerage would be too much for me to handle, no thread is safe where i go to, i might as well spoil myself and still enjoy myself when the game comes out. :D

Firestorm

flipping_heck said:
Just wondering, now the game is delayed for a month extra, anyone who weren't gonna look at Japanese spoilers, have you changed your views and gonne get spoiled silly when the Japanese start busting out the secrets?

I am gonna do that, the wait and internet spoilerage would be too much for me to handle, no thread is safe where i go to, i might as well spoil myself and still enjoy myself when the game comes out. :D

The fact that we were getting it 2 weeks later made me go to the spoiler side. 5 weeks is close to making me not care about Subspace Emissary spoilers.

Jiggy

TreIII said:
This extra week of wait IS definitely going to be painful...
TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :mad:

...Hmm. That looks like "tree," actually. Let me try again.

TREIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! :mad:

...Eh, good enough.

Seriously...part of me wishes that they would also put in Princess Sheeda, Marth's Pegasus riding boo, just so we could have another great character from FE1/3 in this game (and help hype FEDS).
Her final smash would be so awesome, swoop down on a Pegasus and wreak some havoc. Better than the Landmaster and Wario-Man on a bike combined!

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Gekkonidae said:
Okay guys, to pass the time. What has been your #1 favorite update so far?

Mine has to be stage builder.
Stage Builder is my favourite update too.

Well, Snake would have been my favourite update if we hadnt found out he was in the game when they first revealed brawl.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
flipping_heck said:

I'll try to avoid spoiling it for myself, but knowing how things turn out when I say I'm going to avoid spoilers, I'll probably end up giving in after a few days.

Zeed

Banned
Holy fuckin shit Shiek looks badass now. This was probably my most anticipated update of all.

And finally we settled the gender question.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :mad:

...Hmm. That looks like "tree," actually. Let me try again.

TREIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! :mad:

...Eh, good enough.

:lol

Her final smash would be so awesome, swoop down on a Pegasus and wreak some havoc. Better than the Landmaster and Wario-Man on a bike combined!

Would make enough sense, I would think.

...Unless of course, they decide to go by FE1 rules, and allow her to ride a Dragon instead... :lol

Pureauthor said:
NOT UNTIL FRANZ AND AMELIA MAKE IT IN FIRST. :mad:

Like I said though, it would make more sense to help promote the upcoming game, while also riding the ever-present affinity for Marth's generation.

Ike and one other person from his generation of games would be enough, and then Marth needs some one from his camp.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Crushed said:
oh shit guys i think he just owned us

he totally just came out of that other thread in into this one and then complimented the game in a backhanded fashion to make a point about the wii

woah and he said that he's actually just saying hi, fuuuuuuck he is so nonchalant and cool and composed i bet he's real smart and everyone else shouts stuff at him and he's all like "i am cool and collected, i am the better man" and then everyone who argued with him starts to scream "how could i looooooose" then they run away and then this girl that he likes runs up to him and says "omg you are so smart and cool and superior i love you" and they made out and she became his girlfriend
awesome :lol :lol :lol

...Unless of course, they decide to go by FE1 rules, and allow her to ride a Dragon instead...
They would probably use her un-promoted form, and I do not let fanboyism get in the way of reasonable sense that says that Sheeda is most likely to be a trophy than anything.

Cosmozone

Hmm, still don't think Sheik fits that well in this newest iteration. But the model looks good so who am I to complain. Would've liked Wolf Link and Midna more, though. Don't dare to dream about any WW characters.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Crushed said:
oh shit guys i think he just owned us

he totally just came out of that other thread in into this one and then complimented the game in a backhanded fashion to make a point about the wii

woah and he said that he's actually just saying hi, fuuuuuuck he is so nonchalant and cool and composed i bet he's real smart and everyone else shouts stuff at him and he's all like "i am cool and collected, i am the better man" and then everyone who argued with him starts to scream "how could i looooooose" then they run away and then this girl that he likes runs up to him and says "omg you are so smart and cool and superior i love you" and they made out and she became his girlfriend
crushedloevcomputargaf.gif

Your avatar fits the tone so well.

Crushed said:
What if Zelda feels she is a man trapped in a woman's body, and Sheik lets her liberate her true self from its oppressive shell?
LOL Dude, back in 1999 I wrote a whole joke fanfiction/newsletter about Zelda going this route and running off with Malon.

jts

...hate me...
Crushed said:
I just tried... but it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. :/

1600x900 (widescreen)

1600x1200 (fullscreen)

Because there's so many characters now, the dude's widened the picture, changing the dimensions and aspect ratio... meaning that I can't resize the picture without cropping it, or adding blank space on the side (what I did for these ones), or else the pixels will become distorted.
What? I'm not sure i'm getting it, you don't want to stretch it, is that it?

This is what i did:
Cropped your fullscreen wallpaper by the left and right edges of the pic itself;
Resized it to 1600*something (proportions constrained) so that the pic would take the whole width of the wallpaper.
Cropped it by the height to be 1200 and pronto.

1600x1200 (fullscreen)

Is this what you wanted or am i missing something? :p

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm going to guess the most obscure/useless Assist Trophy will be the Duck Hunt dog just jumping into the background and leaving you to it, then laughing at you when you get KO'd.

The little fuck.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SovanJedi said:
I'm going to guess the most obscure/useless Assist Trophy will be the Duck Hunt dog just jumping into the background and leaving you to it, then laughing at you when you get KO'd.

The little fuck.

I'd really like that.

I hope a few of the Assists are completely useless.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm guessing something item or assist trophy related tonight. I'm thinking that we might not be seeing special moves or final smash updates anymore because of the new format of the profiles.

What if Zelda feels she is a man trapped in a woman's body, and Sheik lets her liberate her true self from its oppressive shell?
Oi... I would use the image of the last panel of the Sheik = Raiden comic, because it works so well, but I think people are sick of that.

Akai

Nash said:
I'd really like that.

I hope a few of the Assists are completely useless.
Supposedly there was a Tingle AT sighted at the World Hobby Fair that did nothing...No idea if that was proven or not, though...

Jiggy

Predicting Thursday's first ever Subspace Emissary update, explaining how to power up. Screenshots to star Snake, Zero Suit Samus, and Sheik doing various kicks and dodges.

And then Bomberman/Lloyd/Third-party Character of Some Sort will be on Friday.

Jiggy

At the time of this writing:

Total posts: 54277
Total posts from the top 5 posters: 7885 (~14.53% of the thread)
Top 10 posters: 11867 (~21.86%)
Top 20: 16841 (~31.03%)

Among the top 20, notables for their percentages of posts in the Dojo thread to posts on GAF period:

Jiggy37 - 2490/7742 (32.16%)
Zeed - 1481/6326 (23.41%)
Iam Canadian - 1371/2583 (53.08%) !!!!!
ShockingAlberto - 1340/4720 (28.39%)
SuperAngelo64 - 1011/1064 (95.02%) !!!!!!!!!!
CreatureX3 - 807/1634 (49.39%) !!!
MrCheez - 663/2241 (29.59%)
Keru_Shiri - 545/1410 (38.65%) !
Scribble - 510/1154 (44.19%) !!!
Danthrax - 469/1939 (24.19%)
Insaniac - 450/1301 (34.59%) !
crowphoenix - 418/1087 (38.45%) !
GamerSoul - 407/840 (48.45%) !!!

I don't know about you guys, but this has given me a whole new perspective on Smash fans. I almost feel like continuing down the line for a while. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom