• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrunner

TreIII said:
Eat, sure.

Go on a merciless rampage? Hell no. The amount of wide-spread baby seal genocide that goes on in Ice Climbers just shows gross indifference. And they do it all with SMILES on their faces. I can only imagine just how blood-stained those parkas must be. :lol

What the hell are those seals doing on a mountain anyway

Speevy

Banned
Tim-E said:
Mario canon - the most serious and important thing ever.

You clearly missed the point of what I was saying.

I don't care about Mario's "timeline". It's never been important before, so why should they screw with the levels now? SMB 1-1 is what it is.

Anyhow, some of you have blown this way out of proportion. It's just a level that I don't like. I didn't originally go on some tirade about it, and I think you need to reexamine your priorities if you think I did.

Tim-E

Speevy said:
You clearly missed the point of what I was saying.

I don't care about Mario's "timeline". It's never been important before, so why should they screw with the levels now? SMB 1-1 is what it is.

Anyhow, some of you have blown this way out of proportion. It's just a level that I don't like. I didn't originally go on some tirade about it, and I think you need to reexamine your priorities if you think I did.

I'll reexamine your priorities.

This discussion is silly. Mario has always had an implied story, and that's exactly what they're playing on here. I think there's something really beautiful about revisiting this completely familiar place from our childhood, but over the years it's become a barren, desert landscape.

That sublime use of reference is as close to an artistic statement on the nature of games as it gets.

Speevy said:
I doubt I'm the first to bring this up, but this stage doesn't remind me of playing Super Mario Brothers. I don't really care for it.
Seems like:

1. You were the first one to bring it up, and
2. The pictures you chose were from different parts of the level, which ignored the fact that the level layout is identical
3. All that other crap about timelines and canons is used as a way to justify the original comment
4. The real issue is not that it doesn't remind you of 1-1, but that you don't care for desert levels

So, conclusion:

The original comment was a misguided way of expressing your dislike of desert levels, and everyone jumped on it. You really just don't like desert levels, which is a fine opinion to have.

Now that that's settled, let's continue talking about the awesomeness that is this game - INSANE amounts of content! :)

Gekkonidae said:
This discussion is silly. Mario has always had an implied story, and that's exactly what they're playing on here. I think there's something really beautiful about revisiting this completely familiar place from our childhood, but over the years it's become a barren, desert landscape.

That sublime use of reference is as close to an artistic statement on the nature of games as it gets.

I like this guy ^

Speevy said:
SMB 1-1 is what it is.

This is not SMB 1-1, this is Mushroomy Kingdom, a stage in Super Smash Bros Brawl that is based on SMB 1-1. If you don't believe me, just play SMB. See ? 1-1 is still intact, just the way you like it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
TreIII said:
And let's not forget Wario. He's basically a kingpin, in himself. He put Tatanga (that guy from Mario Land) up to the task of kidnapping Daisy, ALL so that he could engineer a plot to take over Mario's home turf for himself. Even years later, Wario has shown that he has no problem utilizing people for his own ends, as the Wario Ware series has demonstrated as such.

This part of your post suddenly made me want a Mario mafia game, a la the Godfather, where Wario and Don Pianta's syndicates wage war to control the Mushroom Kingdom's criminal underworld.

Do it, Nintendo. I know you want to.

Gekkonidae said:

No, this is just SMB World 1-1 post-global warming.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Ramune said:
Koji belted out similar jazzy renditions of previous Mario level songs in the Super Mario World OST.
of all the fail in your post, this is the failest part. that was sadao watanabe. (but folks should find the album)

Zeed

Banned
Holy shit, awesome. It's going to be so surreal having Mario and Sonic duke it out in a 1v1 on this stage. Poetic, even.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
The idea of making the level look like the 1-1 level many years later is a good one. It doesnt matter that there's no timeline in mario games

Iam Canadian

Zeed said:
Holy shit, awesome. It's going to be so surreal having Mario and Sonic duke it out in a 1v1 on this stage. Poetic, even.

No kidding. It's like, the battle of our childhood heroes in the dusty, forgotten locales of our childhood.

psycho_snake

I just listened to the music. Thats a really good theme. Actually, this is one of my favourite themes out of those that have been revealed, I think it sounds great.

I like the tune as well, but as someone else pointed out, I think it would be better suited for Delfino Plaza. This level just seems so desolate, yet the music is upbeat, and kind of relaxing. Good thing there's My Music.

Jiggy

Keru_Shiri said:
I like the tune as well, but as someone else pointed out, I think it would be better suited for Delfino Plaza.
That would be me. :D And I can't wait to play it there. It also helps that I loved the idea behind Mute City and will probably like Delfino for the same reason.

Ramune

jooey said:
of all the fail in your post, this is the failest part. that was sadao watanabe. (but folks should find the album)

I did indeed! Some reason, the MP3s had Koji Kondo as the Artist, so fail there.

And I popped NSMB back into my DS (it has been a while) and World 1-1 wasn't a remake of SMB 1-1 as I originally thought. I stand corrected.

Neiteio

Gekkonidae said:
I think there's something really beautiful about revisiting this completely familiar place from our childhood, but over the years it's become a barren, desert landscape.

Exactly.

I see the Mushroomy Kingdom as a beautiful summation of what Smash is all about: namely, refusing to lose your inner child. While every other stage is an escape from the real world into one of imagination, the Mushroomy Kingdom is a reminder that the real world will grind our youth and sense of wonder into dust, if we let it. Playing in such a stage is like refusing to let go of the magic we experienced as children.

Everyone should appreciate the Mushroomy Kingdom. As a non-canon crossover title, Smash is Nintendo's one opportunity to do something wild with their properties. And, in this case, something profound.

- N

Odrion

Banned
Neiteio said:
Exactly.

I see the Mushroomy Kingdom as a beautiful summation of what Smash is all about: namely, refusing to lose your inner child. While every other stage is an escape from the real world into one of imagination, the Mushroomy Kingdom is a reminder that the real world will grind our youth and sense of wonder into dust, if we let it. Playing in such a stage is like refusing to let go of the magic we experienced as children.

Everyone should appreciate the Mushroomy Kingdom. As a non-canon crossover title, Smash is Nintendo's one opportunity to do something wild with their properties. And, in this case, something profound.

- N
:lol :lol :lol

psycho_snake

Keru_Shiri said:
I like the tune as well, but as someone else pointed out, I think it would be better suited for Delfino Plaza. This level just seems so desolate, yet the music is upbeat, and kind of relaxing. Good thing there's My Music.
Yeah, the tune is perfect for Delfino plaza

I think it's interesting to talk about "canon" when referring to Nintendo games.

I don't think there is any overlying canon that applies to the majority of their series (perhaps Kirby, for example, would be an exception.)

Nintendo's take on storytelling is a different one. Each game is it's own story, but they aren't meant to work like comic books that tell a larger self-coherent story in their collected work.

Rather they are meant to work like myths (particularly the Zelda games, I think) in that all of their games inform and reflect off each other without being in a single "continuity." Instead they build of each other in contradictions just as much as they do in their agreements.

I think it is in this space that Brawl tries to fit. It is just as valid "canon" as the other stories because none of them necessarily have a canonical version of the truth.

webrunner

Gekkonidae said:
I think it's interesting to talk about "canon" when referring to Nintendo games.

I don't think there is any overlying canon that applies to the majority of their series (perhaps Kirby, for example, would be an exception.)

Nintendo's take on storytelling is a different one. Each game is it's own story, but they aren't meant to work like comic books that tell a larger self-coherent story in their collected work.

Rather they are meant to work like myths (particularly the Zelda games, I think) in that all of their games inform and reflect off each other without being in a single "continuity." Instead they build of each other in contradictions just as much as they do in their agreements.

I think it is in this space that Brawl tries to fit. It is just as valid "canon" as the other stories because none of them necessarily have a canonical version of the truth.

More recent Zelda games have been specifically in the same canon- Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess , Wind Waker all make direct reference to the events of Ocarina of Time, and Phantom Hourglass takes place after Wind Waker

Neiteio

Gekkonidae said:
Depends on how you define "canon." A series' consistency of internal logic can also be considered canon -- i.e. not being able to breathe in outer space, Olimar being an inch tall, etc -- and all that consistency is throw out the window in Smash.

TreIII

Gekkonidae said:

Or rather, it's more like the traditional way of Japanese story-telling...there is no real over-all arching story, and it's just a series of events that happen over the course of time in that world.

And as for Brawl...it doesn't even need to "fit". Because again, this is basically another "continuity" where all of the characters are Figures/Trophies that are based on their true-to-life versions. It's not directly tie to any of the "standard" Nintendo verses at all, thus allowing for this setting where the characters seem to already know each other, and the whole "cross-over"/discrepancy issues that may otherwise exist is more or less a moot point.

No, I'm saying 1-1 isn't set in a desert.

If you're going to use a desert, use the one in Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario 64.

And even then, don't. Use Gusty Gardens or something.
This is not a desert. Have you ever heard of the Dust Bowl that happened during the Great Depression? That's what happened to World 1-1, which a once beautiful landscape got re-innovated by dust collection.

Akai

Scribble said:
Green Hilly Zone would be neat, too. Lol.
Except in that case it'd be symbolic of Sega's refusal to go back to the imaginative settings of Sonic games for realistic settings no one wants... =(

Iam Canadian

Neiteio, that was quite possibly the most insightful post I've ever read on NeoGAF. Kudos to you.

Scribble said:
Green Hilly Zone would be neat, too. Lol.

Considering the way that SEGA has done their best to eviscerate our childhood memories of Sonic, I would imagine the Green Hilly Zone to look a trillion times worse than the Mushroomy Kingdom. >_>

Jiggy

This is being discussed in the spoiler thread, but I'd rather take it in here because that thread's a bloody mess. Both in the literal sense and the Queen's English sense.

Anyway...
What are you all looking most forward to doing in Brawl after you get it? Just based on things we know from the Dojo or commercials, none of the spoiler stuff. For me:

-Selecting Kirby as my first character and Classic as my first mode, as is tradition, for the third time.
-Unlocking Jigglypuff (believe) and falling in love all over again. :D
-Getting Captain Falcon (believe, again) and trying out Brawl's rendition of The Knee. And it had better well be in there!
-Using Meta Knight, Ivysaur, King Dedede, and Charizard for the first time.
-Seeing what changes they've made to Kirby, Zelda, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Luigi, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Captain Falcon.
-Adjusting My Music for hours. HOURS. I assure you, I'll be attempting to objectively and precisely quantify the relative percentage of love I have for each theme so that I can set their play frequency in accordance with whatever units of enjoyment I end up denominating. :D OCD FTW?
-Tinkering with sticker arrangements for an even longer period of time!
-Finding out that there's a special brawl allowing sticker powerups to be used in multiplayer.
-Creating my own twisted stages.
-Spending ridiculous numbers of minutes deciding which music I want played on those stages, because I'll love practically all of it.
-Turning off items before I ever touch a vs. match. ;)
-Playing as Zelda, pausing, and zooming in on her... ...shoes. No, I'm serious. It seems pretty clear to me that they're flat boots, which makes her automatically better than Melee Peach, Brawl Peach, Zero Suit Samus, and Melee Zelda combined. (Still wish she had a Marin alternate costume, though.) I just hope she doesn't suck again at fighting. D:
-Drooling over the statistics page inevitably so full of glory and win. :O :D :D :D
-Practically never touching Link, Fox, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, or Wario except when the game forces me to for an Event or in Subspace Emissary.
-Conquering Subspace Emissary on Normal, then Hard, then Very Hard, then Intense, and appreciating the changes of each difficulty.
-And then beating it on Easy just for a laugh.
-Discovering what kind of crazy post-match bonus point awards they've come up with this time.
-Checking whether they at least buffed up Mario to compensate for Doc going assist trophy. (Actually, I don't remember where I read that, but if it's true... Well, RIP, old buddy. ;_;)
-Determining which moves I'll call out for being cheap every time without fail, even though I'll never actually believe that.
-Busting out all the taunts for my favorite characters and deciding which ones I'll use most. (Again: Jigglypuff, Kirby, Meta Knight, Ivysaur, Captain Falcon, King Dedede, Charizard, Zelda, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Luigi, and Pikachu.)
-Experimenting with all four controller styles and then going straight back to the classic Gamecube. :p
-Plowing through the inevitable boss rush mode armed only with a Trophy Stand and a wad of courage.
-Opening the box, opening the instruction booklet, smelling that new papery smell, putting it back in, and never seeing it again in my life.
-Entering SSBB into my IGN collection, registering it for my MyNintendo collection, and typing it into my Excel game purchase spreadsheet, as if to confirm three times over that, yes, I had been waiting very nearly three years--ever since it was "announced" at E3 2005--but that Brawl was finally, finally in my possession.
-Spotting a Coin Launcher trophy I hadn't seen after seventy hours of gameplay, and then missing it.
-Figuring out whether I like Mushroomy Kingdom, PictoChat, Battleship Halberd, Delfino Plaza, or Lylat Cruise the most.
-Doing less than 30 Coin matches over the next seven years.
-Witnessing the triumphant return of Board the Platforms along with a new Board the Platforms Creator. And an Event Match Creator too.
-Being surprised time and again by the creativity of the Event Match scenarios.
-Hearing all the (supremely underrated!) Kirby music and Pokemon music during matches. :eek:
-Spamming Waddle Dees with King Dedede.
-Seeing Iwata arrange for some Nintendo developers to make an SSBB+ with improved online functionality in four years or so after Sakurai turns down the idea of making another Smash Bros. for Wii 2.
-Continuing to play SSBB into 2017, just in time for Sakurai's SSB4.
-Kicking Sandbag around while online matches load.
-Experiencing elation upon seeing that they've made it possible to adjust the health amount in Stamina matches.
-Saving screenshots and replays.
-Flooding friends with said screenshots. :D
-Crying foul about some of the stages that didn't make a return.
-And then recreating them in Stage Builder anyway. :D
-Faithfully downloading a stage every day for a couple months, then beginning to slack off, then finding out that I'd missed something incredible--then hitting up brawlstages.com or some other site made specifically to keep a permanent archive of all stages of the day. [Edit during preview: Actually, it turns out that brawlstages.com is already a real site. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :lol Edit after posting: It's practically 100% flooded with spambots, though. ...I guess I shouldn't be surprised at that either, huh?]
-Watching the sure-to-be-excellent intro video, and then watching the sure-to-be-excellent tutorial videos.
-Running co-op games in Event Matches and Subspace Emissary.
-Shuffling through the color changes to find the ones most likely to annoy my opponents. (Go go Yellow Kirby!)
-Realizing that some character I'd just about written off is an awesome fighter and fully worth playing very, very often.

...That's a lot of things I'm looking forward to. And a lot of verbs to start off each bullet point. I'm gonna love this game. :eek:

Jiggy37 said:
What are you all looking most forward to doing in Brawl after you get it?

Had your question been "what are you going to do first", I wouldn't have been able to answer. However, I'm really looking forward to unlocking all of the music.

Fireblend

Banned
RoboPlato said:
There are very few games that have music I would actually like to listen to outside of the game. This is one of them.
Any OST Yasunori Mitsuda has anything to do with is a must get for me. This is no exception, and for many more reasons than that one.

When I first get Brawl I'm going back to my friend's house where we're having a 24 hour brawl fest to unlock everything and play the hell out of this game.

TheGreatDave said:
Oh God people stop talking about Mario remakes oh God oh God oh God.

What about the rom hack New Retro Mario Bros for the DS?

The only thing I am disappointed about is that they probably won't have a pixely old-style Mario stage like they had in earlier Brawls... I've always loved references to the old graphics and style - which is why I loved the levels in Mario Kart DS with SMB3 style blocks and bricks in the background. Actually, looking at pictures of the original SMB now makes me feel rather melancholic, for some reason. So much has changed since then.

Neiteio

What are you all looking most forward to doing in Brawl after you get it?

- Logging online to see which characters are most popular. I suspect we'll see lots of black Pits, black Sheiks, and the usual Foxes. I will smile and nod approvingly every time I see someone playing
Mr. Game & Watch
- Reading through the first fifty trophies I get, one by one. Then all over again when I hit 100, and so on.
- A Pokemon extravaganza -- Pikachu vs. Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard vs. Jigglypuff vs.
Lucario
in Pokemon Stadium 2 with only pokeballs on and set to Very High.
- Surrounding Squirtle with Peach, Zelda and Zero Suit Samus, and taking a picture entitled, "Lil Pimp."
- Experiencing the all-new and improved Bowser (my Melee main), now purportedly uber-tier and featuring golden armor (alt color)!
- Building a penis-shaped stage called "Smashturbate." It's already plotted out, and involves fighters pinballing around a vertical shaft linked to two ball-like compartments at the bottom. The only way to KO people is to blast them out the top of the shaft after much "stimulation" (aka damage).
- Submitting said "Smashturbate" to Nintendo and hoping it slips past the censors so everyone can appreciate the male anatomy in virtual brick form.

I'll list more as I think of 'em.

- N

Scribble

Jiggy37 said:
This is being discussed in the spoiler thread, but I'd rather take it in here because that thread's a bloody mess. Both in the literal sense and the Queen's English sense.

Anyway...
What are you all looking most forward to doing in Brawl after you get it? Just based on things we know from the Dojo or commercials, none of the spoiler stuff. For me:

- Trying out every single character and seeing how much Veterans have changed
- Using Pikmin+Olimar and their unique game style
- Seeing what changes they've made to Mr.Game and Watch
- Completing all the Challenges in Challenge Mode, one by one
- Unlocking Sonic
- Losing against people on Wi-Fi
- Collecting CDs. CAN'T WAIT.
- Throwing a Resetti and Devil Assist Trophy
- Rotating between between Classic Mode, Subspace Emissary, Stadium and Event Mode for everlasting 1P goodness
- Playing out silly fanboyish matches, i.e. Mario vs Sonic, PT vs PT, Ness vs Lucas, etc. with the X music playing in the background
- Finding a rare sticker
- Setting up a Olimar vs Olimar vs Olimar vs Olimar match, with Ashley's Theme playing in the background
- Pausing and taking badass photos of Mario and Sonic beating the shit out of each other
- Spending hours making a stage for every character in Brawl, that's specifically built for their play styles
- Pokemon Extravaganza
- Watching all the brilliant SSE cutscenes
- Being forced to play Spectator Mode because I wasted 500 of my coins trying to hit the Geno trophy (=P), and losing even more by losing my bets
- Going crazy with Trophy Stands
- Cycling through the whole roster to see who's now the best character for Multi-Man Brawl
- Co-operating in Subspace Emissary

Economan

Jiggy37 said:

For me, It'd definitely be trying the online mode first, as Sheik. I've waited a very long time to play the game competitively with others than my one friend who plays the game. (Does GAF have any interest for some sort of Smash Ladder system?)

After I play the normal online mode for a bit, I'll probably add some GAFers to my smash list, and then hopefully play some intense matches.

...and I guess at some point I'll go about getting the unlockables.

Scribble

Economan said:
After I play the normal online mode for a bit, I'll probably add some GAFers to my smash list, and then hopefully play some intense matches.

That's the one thing I'm fearing. I want my Friend Roster to be large enough that there's always *someone* to play with. But adding all the codes will take aaaaaaages.

Neiteio

Scribble said:
- Setting up a Olimar vs Olimar vs Olimar vs Olimar match, with Ashley's Theme playing in the background
I can't peg down why, but I find this idea so very appealing.

- Being forced to play Spectator Mode because I wasted 500 of my coins trying to hit the Geno trophy (=P), and losing even more by losing my bets
Whoa, I forgot all about Spectator mode. Brawl is LOADED.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
- Playing as Meta Knight, Olimar & Pikmin, Pokemon Trainer, and Wario.
- Try a lot of the characters in multiplayer.
- SSE
- Building the maps I made with the flash stage editor and trying them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom