• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
webrunner said:
She messed up SR388's (which really wasn't in balance anyway- the Metroids
were engineered by the Chozo
), and blew up Zebes... all the other ecosystems were messed up before she got there.
Oh, they weren't messed up, that was just the circle of life. Naturally occuring organisms just made a niche in a new environment, and Samus committed genocide, wiping out entire species. Think of how many of the ones she killed were wounded and could have been humanely euthanized, sentient beings that could have gone to court whom she ruthlessly executed in a cruel and unusual fashion, or poor larvae and juveniles attempting self-defense who ended up slaughtered in yet another one of Samus' war crimes.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Pureauthor said:
*raises hand*

Can't have nostalgia about something you didn't even play until two years ago.
Same here. The most nostalgic Mario game for me is mario 64 because that was the first mario game I played.

test_account

XP-39C²
MisterHero said:
Super-Next-Gen-Mario.jpg

lol, nice one :)

Why does that stage have desert (or something) background by the way? Is it made with the stage editor thats in the game?

NTom64

Gagaman said:
Brilliant, except the Kid Icarus track seems to be missing..

Seriously? Ah fucking hell -_-

I was clearing out some of the other files that I copied pasted the songs with and it must've got lost in the shuffle. Hang on, I'll upload it to Megaupload.

EDIT:

Here it is.

Oh my God...

I didn't even check the update last night I was so caught up with the rumours...

This is by far the best update ever... Mario stage AND a music update..

What's this?! A Jazz-Bossa arrangement of the Mario theme?! Holy SHIT!!

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
the stages for this game are incredible. i like this mario arrangement alot. i dont think ill be needing a SD card music option, looks like Sakurai's got the soundtrack on lockdown.

webrunner

I wonder.. will some of the boxes have set items, or will they all be random?

It'd be funny if you ALWAYS got a super mushroom right at the beginning of the stage.

On the other hand, a level with SPECIFIC items available would actually allow items in tournaments.

Today's update was basically a big F U to all the people saying the Dojo wasn't relevant any more and had nothing cool to tell us. Way to go, Sakurai!

Speevy

Banned
I doubt I'm the first to bring this up, but this stage doesn't remind me of playing Super Mario Brothers. I don't really care for it.

I really hope they let Koji Kondo do more arrangements.

In a game like this he has alot more freedom.

And afterall, he is a Latin Music Major, it really shows in the NSMB theme which Asuka Ohta wrote and he arranged.. (I'm huge Bossa/Samba fan here).

webrunner

Speevy said:
I doubt I'm the first to bring this up, but this stage doesn't remind me of playing Super Mario Brothers. I don't really care for it.

If playing on a stage from super mario brothers doesn't remind you of super mario brothers, I suggest possibly getting your memory checked.

Firestorm

I just realized that if a Tales character made it we'd have likely received a Fighting of the Spirit remix. Maybe even by Sakuraba himself.

:(

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, a Tales character certainly would have been a better Namco representative than Pac-Man.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Pac-Man; his (traditional arcade) games are awesome. I just don't think that he would have been well-suited for Brawl.

Then again, a Tales character would likely have been another sword-user...

Speevy

Banned
webrunner said:
If playing on a stage from super mario brothers doesn't remind you of super mario brothers, I suggest possibly getting your memory checked.

super-mario-bros-dx-big.jpg

stage23_080123b.jpg

Ookay, yeah, it's exactly the same. 1-1 isn't a desert, it's the brick path to the mushroom kingdom with meadows and hills in the background.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
The idea is that this is 1-1 many years later, where it lies in ruins.

Besides, the actual layout of the blocks, pipes, etc. is identical.

Speevy

Banned
Iam Canadian said:
The idea is that this is 1-1 many years later, where it lies in ruins.

Besides, the actual layout of the blocks, pipes, etc. is identical.

Well that's also ridiculous. Mario games have never had timelines. No Mario game has ever referenced a past adventure as though it had some relevance in the current one.

And I realize they used the same blocks. I don't like desert levels. 1-1 isn't a desert level.

webrunner

Speevy said:
Well that's also ridiculous. Mario games have never had timelines. No Mario game has ever referenced a past adventure as though it had some relevance in the current one.

And I realize they used the same blocks. I don't like desert levels. 1-1 isn't a desert level.

Wait, so, you're complaining that the continuity contradicts the established continuity of having a lack of continuity before?

I think my brain just exploded.

Vinci

Danish
I have never been so ferociously proud of preordering a game in my life. Thank you, Sakurai, you genius bastard. Thank you.

Speevy

Banned
webrunner said:
Wait, so, you're complaining that the continuity contradicts the established continuity of having a lack of continuity before?

I think my brain just exploded.

No, I'm saying 1-1 isn't set in a desert.

If you're going to use a desert, use the one in Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario 64.

And even then, don't. Use Gusty Gardens or something.

MisterHero

Speevy said:

Super Mario World contains a haunted doomship from Super Mario Bros. 3. >_>

And like I pointed out earlier, SMB1's story was probably too morbid to keep referring to. :p

Davidion

Speevy said:

If you're going to use a desert, use the one in Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario 64.

Maybe because they're explicitly using the layout to create the feel of the first level without doing a straight reproduction? Maybe it's just me, but it's entirely possible that using a desert background wasn't the point of this map in the first place.

Golden Darkness said:
This time around, we’ve designed a stage that recreates the layout of World 1-1 in Super Mario Bros. – but with rich backgrounds added to the mix.

The stage scrolls forward at a leisurely pace.

Pieces of familiar scenery scroll by.

The kingdom you once knew has turned to ruins over the long years, and it is now your battlefield.

You’ll get to enjoy a wide range of familiar structures. Also, since the stage slowly scrolls sideways, battles here will require you to come up with a very different strategy for winning.

Speevy said:

Well it could be a desert. I mean aside from a single bush here and there it is a really barren looking place:

Stone ground with almost no greenery, Nothing in the background except sky and clouds, lot's of running space, bottomless pits.

Granted it was probably due to hardware limitations I could definitely see the earlier Mario stages interpreted as a desert.

Also if you want to try and make any canon sense out've this... it could be the Mushroom Kingdom currently, since they've obviously relocated to where the Castle is at (in Mario Galaxy).

Speevy said:

No, you are ridiculous. And this isn't a Mario game. This is Smash Bros.

Tim-E

Speevy said:

Mario canon - the most serious and important thing ever.

TreIII

Crushed said:
They're Inuit.

They need to eat something.

Eat, sure.

Go on a merciless rampage? Hell no. The amount of wide-spread baby seal genocide that goes on in Ice Climbers just shows gross indifference. And they do it all with SMILES on their faces. I can only imagine just how blood-stained those parkas must be. :lol

Oh, they weren't messed up, that was just the circle of life. Naturally occuring organisms just made a niche in a new environment, and Samus committed genocide, wiping out entire species. Think of how many of the ones she killed were wounded and could have been humanely euthanized, sentient beings that could have gone to court whom she ruthlessly executed in a cruel and unusual fashion, or poor larvae and juveniles attempting self-defense who ended up slaughtered in yet another one of Samus' war crimes.

Well, to be fair, a lot of those organisms did basically screw over Samus largely by invading her space colony and killing her family and friends when she was a lil thing. She didn't start the fire, but it was ON! :lol

And let's not forget Wario. He's basically a kingpin, in himself. He put Tatanga (that guy from Mario Land) up to the task of kidnapping Daisy, ALL so that he could engineer a plot to take over Mario's home turf for himself. Even years later, Wario has shown that he has no problem utilizing people for his own ends, as the Wario Ware series has demonstrated as such.

And speaking of Wario taking over Mario's castle...when did Mario get the time to get a Castle for a summer home, any way? Even when you consider that he must amount a good deal of wealth through his travels, he still would have needed a lot of labor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom