• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zek said:
i'll bet starfox 64 is the reason there's no space on the disc to add geno, what the hell sakurai
Stop stop stop stop!

I don't want to hear any more of this "No Geno" business.

Comic

webrunner said:
Star Fox 64 would take up 12 megs fully. Out of 9 gigs. If they're THAT close to filling up the disc that 12 megs actually matters, that surprises me. It's virtually impossible to get a game sized exactly right.

And that's assuming that they're actually going to be on the disc, and not a triggered shop download.

I imagine it'll be handled more like how small tidbits of games in the Wario Ware games have been, in that the whole game isn't there.

Putting the entire game when you only intend for a small portion of it to be used is incredibly lazy.

Comic

Jiggy37 said:
I'm sure Amir0x is all set to spam everybody on his Wii friends list to tell them to give Earthbound a shot (if it's in the US version) if they have Brawl. He'd probably accuse them of not being true or decent Nintendo fans if they didn't.

And he'd be completely right. :p

I've tried multiple times to get into Earthbound... I think I just need to be able to play it on a console. Being able to play PSX games on a PSP seems to have a similar effect.

Fireblend

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I'm sure Amir0x is all set to spam everybody on his Wii friends list to tell them to give Earthbound a shot (if it's in the US version) if they have Brawl. He'd probably accuse them of not being true or decent Nintendo fans if they didn't.

And he'd be completely right. :p

Hell, I'll pm everyone in GAF if they put it on the VC, GBA compilation, SNES re-release Neo-Geo remake or any other possible means of playing it and make sure everyone does.

Just a little note, the "trial period over" screen doesn't mention that the "time limit" has ended, indicating that time limits for NES game are there because some don't have an ending, so I suppose that games like SF64 end when the level ends.

JavyOO7

Iam Canadian said:
Maybe if enough people experience the gameplay that defined Star Fox to begin with - vehicle-based rail shooting - Nintendo will finally get the hint and go back to that formula, rather than developing Zelda knockoffs / third-person shooters / bizarre turn-based strategy and arena flight combat hybrids.

Wait, no they won't. That would make too much sense.

It makes a long-time Star Fox fan sad that the best Star Fox gameplay since Star Fox 64 was in those WarioWare microgames.

Honestly, Starfox Command was not that bad. Nothing compared to the glory days of of SNES SF and N64 SF I admit.

Assault and Adventures was pure dog shit though.

"Try hovering!"

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
JavyOO7 said:
Honestly, Starfox Command was not that bad. Nothing compared to the glory days of of SNES SF and N64 SF I admit.

It wasn't bad the first few times through, but after playing it a bit, you realize that all the levels are fundamentally the same. The game is just so repetitive that it gets boring very quickly. The stylus controls were well done and there were some good ideas; namely, the ability to play as other characters with their own unique traits; but the gameplay was still bland overall.

JavyOO7 said:
"Try hovering!"

Only if you'll try a soumersault.

If Sakurai is going to revive anything, it hsould have been Metroid on top of Star Fox.

Metroid's pretty popular, but it needs enough popularity to warrant a new sidescrolling Metroid.

Iam Canadian

webrunner said:
The fog ruined Command for me.

The fog was very annoying.

I mean, patches of it is fine, but when the entire map is literally engulfed by a miasma of fog, it just becomes excessive.

Scribble said:
I guess I should be thankful.

Annoying bird. I am the great Leon!

Pellham

Banned
Oh man, Fire Emblem is part of the classic games in the japanese version. Almost makes me want to import (even though I already have both FE games on virtual console).

coreycubed

Neo Member
Comic said:
I imagine it'll be handled more like how small tidbits of games in the Wario Ware games have been, in that the whole game isn't there.

Putting the entire game when you only intend for a small portion of it to be used is incredibly lazy.

Not at all. They may have chosen to go that route, but even if you totaled up all of the games listed in Snitch's overkill "prediction" post, minus the two GCN titles, they'd easily fit on a Wii disc and take less than 1% of the total disc space. I could crunch the numbers if anyone found that unreasonable.

Edit:

Iam Canadian said:
It wasn't bad the first few times through, but after playing it a bit, you realize that all the levels are fundamentally the same. The game is just so repetitive that it gets boring very quickly. The stylus controls were well done and there were some good ideas; namely, the ability to play as other characters with their own unique traits; but the gameplay was still bland overall.

Only if you'll try a soumersault.

*twitch* *twitch*

attempting to stifle my inner /b/tard...

must... ...not...

DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!

Comic

coreycubed said:
Not at all. They may have chosen to go that route, but even if you totaled up all of the games listed in Snitch's overkill "prediction" post, minus the two GCN titles, they'd easily fit on a Wii disc and take less than 1% of the total disc space. I could crunch the numbers if anyone found that unreasonable.

I'm not saying it's impossible or even unreasonable, only lazy and wasteful.

Iam Canadian

webrunner said:
Barrel Rolls were needlessly difficult to perform in Command as well.

I would have welcomed button controls myself.

They could have literally recycled the controls for the SNES Star Fox and it would have worked fine.

jaask

A Link to the Snitch said:
Not necessarily. They only mentioned time limits for NES game - the "trial period over" screen doesn't mention time at all.
You´re right, we have to wait and see what kind of restrictions the other games have.

coreycubed said:
So raise your hand if you have the original NES release of Ice Climber...!

*raises hand*

It still works too. I'm probably the only gamer in this thread that has it.
Yep, along with Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure etc. My 22 year old NES is still with me and gets use every once in a while. I don't toss out my old games or consoles unless. I just sell them off if I end up with multiples.

I just hope all this means Earthbound, Fire Emblem and others are coming to the VC soon. Thanks Sakurai.

Jiggy

coreycubed said:
*twitch* *twitch*

must... ...not...

DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!
I guess Slippy's not such a screw-up after all.
Use the boost to get through!
Your father saved me like that too!

boiled goose

good with gravy
uncle andross.... i failed you!!!!!11
Too bad Dad's not here to see ya FAIL.
jeez-lahweez... what it that!

oh star fox..... such good memories

MGrant

CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT STAR FOX.

Seriously, though - it's a pretty cool feature. here's hoping this was a stealth Mother 3 confirmation.

Christine

Comic said:
I'm not saying it's impossible or even unreasonable, only lazy and wasteful.

It's neither lazy nor wasteful. It's simply not worth it to spend any human labor to remove the unused portions because the disc space used isn't material. Avoiding unproductive work is not lazy, it's smart.

What would be wasteful would be spending human labor to go through the roms to eliminate a few MB of space to no significant end.

boiled goose

good with gravy
coreycubed said:

Edit:

*twitch* *twitch*

must... ...not...

DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!

DO-A-BARREL-ROLL.gif

its strange that some games have a save feature even though there is a timer.....
what will they do about pikmin? maybe there are demos for some of the franchises...

Jiggy

sp0rsk is going to murder us. >_>

Dojo Thread: Uh-oh. Have we been spotted?
*sp0rsk flies in*
Dojo Thread: sp0rsk? What are you doing here?
sp0rsk: Can't let you do that, Dojo Thread.
sp0rsk: You know that I control the galaxy.
Dojo Thread: Oh no, Sir. We prefer doing things our own way.
sp0rsk: ...
sp0rsk: Time to show the monkeys who's boss!
sp0rsk: You'll be sorry you crossed us!
*sp0rsk locks thread*
Dojo Thread: He's... too... strong!

Alright, alright, I'm done. :D Actually, it is somewhat on-topic since the Star Fox 64 demo is in... I wonder if they'll let us play some of the voice clips in the sound test. >_>

TwinIonEngines said:
It's neither lazy nor wasteful. It's simply not worth it to spend any human labor to remove the unused portions because the disc space used isn't material. Avoiding unproductive work is not lazy, it's smart.

What would be wasteful would be spending human labor to go through the roms to eliminate a few MB of space to no significant end.
I agree that it would be wasteful if that was their only goal, but there is the question of whether AR hacking could find a way around the time limits to unlock the full games... That has to be a fairly serious concern, especially considering it's Nintendo we're not talking about and they're paranoid over practically everything.

Teknoman

What im really intrested in are the non-Nintendo masterpiece games showing up. Which Sonic will they toss in? What Metal Gear game would they use? Seriously, excluding non-Nintendo characters from the Masterpiece section would be pretty lame.

That being said, i'm looking forward to playing Earthbound again, even if it is just a short demo...and it better be in the NA version.

Scribble

Ahhh, someone wants to play!

Incoming enemy from the rear, drop altitude.

I've got a present for ya!

Who are you guys? (We're Star Fox!) You'll never defeat Andross!

Your daddy screamed REEEEAL good before he DIED!

I love you Peppy.
Thanks Slippy.

Fooooox, that was one of oooooooours!

Husky unit, cover the base!
Bulldog unit, don't let anything throoooooough!
Enemy mothership aproooaching!

OK, I must stop. Now.

Teknoman said:
Also that space armada stage video made me want a Star Fox Wii game <_>

Yes, it looks absolutely stunning.

MisterHero

Minsc said:
Yea, I'm not too crazy about the slowdown myself, but perhaps WiiWare will pick up some of the slack. Anyway, something like this (overplayed) layout is the first thing that comes to mind:

sakurai.gif

Demo's out in Japan soon right?
Yeah because Nintendo didn't put NES games in Animal Crossing or Metroid in Metroid Prime or Metroid Zero Mission, or release the Zelda Master Quest / Collector's Edition.

Yep, Sakurai does what Nintendon't.

Firestorm said:
I'd shit my pants if they had a full version of Kirby Superstar.
something about laughing a lot and DS sales

but okay

Sciz

Jiggy, when you compile the final stats about this thread, you should tally up how many times it's degenerated into sprees of quoting Star Fox 64.

Jiggy

MisterHero said:
Yeah because Nintendo didn't put NES games in Animal Crossing or Metroid in Metroid Prime or Metroid Zero Mission, or release the Zelda Master Quest / Collector's Edition.

Yep, Sakurai does what Nintendon't.
Well, not to be too nitpicky, but "Nintendon't" is present-tense. Yes, they put NES games in Animal Crossing over six years ago, gave away Metroid over five years ago, and had a very nice preorder bonus for wind Waker over four years ago. But right now they're definitely not promoting VC, and haven't been since Wii was released, while Sakurai is doing that. >_>

ShockingAlberto said:
People expecting Superstar or Fire Emblem I/III are deluding themselves when both games have DS remakes coming.
That might be all the more reason to put demos in Brawl: not to promote their VC releases, but perhaps their DS releases... Especially if Nintendo makes more on DS games anyway.

Sciz said:
Jiggy, when you compile the final stats about this thread, you should tally up how many times it's degenerated into sprees of quoting Star Fox 64.
Only three, I think. Don't quote me on this one.

Jiggy37 said:
That might be all the more reason to put demos in Brawl: not to promote their VC releases, but perhaps their DS releases... Especially if Nintendo makes more on DS games anyway.
I could see them having demos on the Brawl disc with notes that they don't coincide to VC releases. I just don't think anyone should expect actual VC releases.

MisterHero

Jiggy37 said:
Well, not to be too nitpicky, but "Nintendon't" is present-tense. Yes, they put NES games in Animal Crossing over six years ago, gave away Metroid over five years ago, and had a very nice preorder bonus for wind Waker over four years ago. But right now they're definitely not promoting VC, and haven't been since Wii was released, while Sakurai is doing that.
It's still not a huge deal.

VC is nothing to Wii owners who don't play Online anyways. This is so anyone, including Offline users, who plays Brawl knows where the characters come from.

It's nice, but damn.

Jiggy

I used to say that I expected Kirby Super Star on VC in like 2010 or 2011, when even people who got it on DS might be willing to buy it all over again. But then I thought about it some more and now I'm thinking that maybe the reason it's getting a DS remake in the first place is that Nintendo couldn't figure out how to get it supported (or at least not supported in a way that would be financially sensible) because of the special chip it used, but wanted to re-release it in some fashion.

MisterHero said:

VC is nothing to Wii owners who don't play Online anyways.
Well, that's kind of what I see as the problem. >_> VC could practically sell itself, if Nintendo would just let people know it existed... The NES Classics line performed very nicely and was probably more supported, yet here's a service that offers cheaper games, has support for more systems, has support for better systems with larger libraries... It should be a powerful incentive for Wii owners who aren't online to want to find a way to get online, but instead most people kind of ignore it or don't even know it's out there. And that's unfortunate, to me. :( If more users would get online, Nintendo could make more money, WiiWare would probably see better returns for developers, and Brawl might sell better--which for us would mean more people making and uploading stages, potentially a bigger competitive scene for Brawl, or even a bigger non-competitive scene (which I know many people here would love)...

So maybe I'm just clinging to scraps of hope, as well as showering too much praise on Sakurai and this feature, but even so, I still think that Brawl has potential to bring more Wii owners into an online setting, that it can promote VC, and that it can help sell newer gamers on these older classic games that deserve more exposure anyway. I'm just saying, I don't see a way Nintendo (or gamers as a whole) could have lost if they'd implemented this trial demo idea long before Sakurai did it first.

[Nintex]

MisterHero said:

VC is nothing to Wii owners who don't play Online anyways. This is so anyone, including Offline users, who plays Brawl knows where the characters come from.

It's nice, but damn.
It's awesome, Sakurai had everything planned before he even started working on it. The taunts with the D-Pad the stage builder. Things that usually get added during development were already planned out by him before they even started. Sakurai might be the best game producer/director on the planet.

The content of this game is just amazing and we have only seen small parts from the storymode which was written by the scenario writer of Final Fantasy VII. Sakurai put alot of effort into this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom