• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Boku girl 2

If you guys think this is morally repugnant then you guys have not read enough gender bender smut.

Also takeru is the best.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yu Yu Hakusho 100-113
Fake deaths.... fake deaths everywhere.

Anyway a brief comment on this:
Man it really is mediocre... the pace is terrible and most of the antagonists have no background whatsoever (insert joke about Togashi's will of drawing here), if instead of those character he would've used blank puppets (insert another joke here) it wouldn't have changed anything. I could almost say the same for the good guys.
I am really surprised that HxH is much superior to Yu Yu, Togashi sure have grown with time.

Considering that right now i'm well over half past the whole series it would really need one hell of a final arc to change my opinion about it but i seem to remember that a lot of people complained about the ending too... but i'm not sure if it was referring only to the anime or not.
I almost feel bad complaining about Naruto now :/

I wonder if i would feel the same if i read Dragon Ball for the first time in this age instead of having tons of childhood's nostalgia towards it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nanatsu no Taizai

Damn. Gowther is really spittin' that troof, lmao. I love their nonchalance regarding Melodias' stolen sword.

Akame ga Kiru!

Mein keeps raising those flags... Pretty soon, she'll have none left to raise. QQ

Shokugeki no Soma

This tournament is going to get ridiculous. When you have an aide getting 93...

Soma is going to get an 88 and then say the first round is just the first round.

Soma

Yo Polar Star Dorm got this :trollface

While Soma is a default pick I really want to see what the other dorm members can do (Marui has been in serious mode ever since)

Yu Yu Hakusho 100-113

Man it really is mediocre... the pace is terrible and most of the antagonists have no background whatsoever (insert joke about Togashi's will of drawing here), if instead of those character he would've used blank puppets (insert another joke here) it wouldn't have changed anything. I could almost say the same for the good guys.
I am really surprised that HxH is much superior to Yu Yu, Togashi sure have grown with time.

Considering that right now i'm well over half past the whole series it would really need one hell of a final arc to change my opinion about it but i seem to remember that a lot of people complained about the ending too... but i'm not sure if it was referring only to the anime or not.

I wonder if i would feel the same if i read Dragon Ball for the first time in this age instead of having tons of childhood's nostalgia towards it.
It's probably the series with the highest amount of deus ex machina and resurrections, to my knowledge. It gets old really fast. Hxh is the exact opposite...well, almost.

Kieli

It's probably the series with the highest amount of deus ex machina and resurrections, to my knowledge. It gets old really fast. Hxh is the exact opposite...well, almost.

You're referring to the cop-out with Alluka, right?

I always wondered, did Gon trade his potential to temporarily time-warp to his older self, or did he trade it to gain a power boost (but also an age-boost).

If it was former, then the dude is gonna be a fucking beast.

Shirogane no Nina 11

OlDxpwq.png

This manga is so motivational.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I will be *very* pissed if Mein is killed off.

Although it does seem likely. Can't have a potential love interest compete with the main pair, ain't it. Fuck this shit :(

Yonafunu

You're referring to the cop-out with Alluka, right?

I always wondered, did Gon trade his potential to temporarily time-warp to his older self, or did he trade it to gain a power boost (but also an age-boost).

If it was former, then the dude is gonna be a fucking beast.

I'm pretty sure he used up all of his potential (and basically his life) to get as powerful as possible for that moment, which forcefully aged his body to a point where he would be able to cope with it.
So the latter.

Yu Yu Hakusho 100-113

You did not just post that sentence did you.....

As low as YYH might go in your eyes has it really reached the level of Naruto?

I guess you had to be there to experience YYH back in the day. :(

Its not for everyone so I can't blame you for your opinion.

You wouldn't feel the same for DBZ because even with the cheat codes called Dragon Balls, it never gets stupid like Naruto with Jesus preaching and Edo Tensai.

Yeah Lele YYH never got as dragged out and bad as Naruto, if you want to compare it compare it to Bleach in your criticisms.

Also YYH is way better then you're giving it credit for, I think you're looking at it compared to HxH which is a completely different kind of shonen series.

R+V II chapter 66.5

Almost at the end I guess. Kinda sad to think this comedy harem ended up becoming a battle shonen near the end but it was nice while it lasted.

The chapter itself was decent fightwise.

scy

It's also worth noting that YYH really did have a lot of very minor antagonist background story up to that point (Chapter 113 should be right after the Dark Tournament?).

Like, the majority of the bad dudes up to then are practically nameless and then there's Toguro.

It'll be the saddest day in this thread.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Still, nothing overstays it's welcome. The arcs are short and exciting and despite having a decently sized main cast in which everyone gets a fight, it's never drawn out.

True enough, no Fake Karakuras or Shinobi Wars that go on forever.

Quasar

R+V II chapter 66.5

Almost at the end I guess. Kinda sad to think this comedy harem ended up becoming a battle shonen near the end but it was nice while it lasted.

The chapter itself was decent fightwise.

Yeah. Thats pretty much what killed it for me. I just stuck around hoping it would turn around once this arc ended. But then it went on forever and shit happened where there seems no going back anyway, such as in 66.

LeleSocho

Banned
Preface: Please remember that i've not read the entirety of YYH but i've only just finished the Toguro arc.

I'm sorry but the more i think about it the more i feel that Naruto (or any other famous shonen nowadays) is far superior to YYH, even only for the fact that Naruto actually has a story where YYH does not.
Even without counting the first 20 chapters YYH feels mostly random and episodic where you can actually feel the holes in the plot on your skin, Hiei and Kurama switched from antagonists to Yusuke's best-friends-forever in a matter of an handful of chapters. Training arcs are non existent and you only see Yusuke returning from them with the "look how badass i am" look typical of the after training. There's also a very poor explanation of the universe where things are said on the fly just to justify what is happening.
The fights too are pretty poor, the only one that was qualitatively good enough to be in other shonen in my opinion is Yusuke vs Toguro and even then it wouldn't be any major final boss fight but more something with the same importance of Deidara vs Sasuke.
Aside some incoherencies stuff like Naruto (sorry i always keep using it as example :/ ) is handled much better and if you think about it those incoherencies are born from the fact that the author actually wants to give the reader a sense of context of what is the universe and how it works, stuff that simply doesn't happen in YYH because you have no idea of how the world works hence why stuff like the magic ball to power up Yusuke and Kurama absorbing the power from his former body are excused or not shitted on... no context=no complains.

Now of course you can pinpoint all the flaws i've listed and you can say "but Reborn had that too, One Piece also have no training arcs, Dragon Ball is random too" etc. etc. but hardly you'll find something that right now is famous/successful but it's mediocre in all its parts.

When i made the previous post i though it was because probably in the 90's that was pretty much the standard but then i think about One Piece and Naruto have pretty much the same age and yet aren't so bad there's also JoJo's Bizarre Adventure which is even older and yet much better.
I can only be amazed and partially happy on how Togashi managed to pull stuff like HxH after what i've read of YYH and sincerely from now i will take YYH just like a modest and mediocre shonen instead of what i've initially thought.

Yeah Lele YYH never got as dragged out and bad as Naruto, if you want to compare it compare it to Bleach in your criticisms.

Also YYH is way better then you're giving it credit for, I think you're looking at it compared to HxH which is a completely different kind of shonen series.

Naruto had problems because it's rushed, not the other way around.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Uh, Ant Arc?

That's HxH and the only reason that felt like it dragged on forever was because of all the breaks. The pacing is fine when you read it all at once.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95339155]Naruto had problems because it's rushed, not the other way around.[/QUOTE]

The war arc has lasted over a year now, finish it already God's Beard! Put us out of our misery.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's HxH and the only reason that felt like it dragged on forever was because of all the breaks. The pacing is fine when you read it all at once.

The war arc has lasted over a year now, finish it already God's Beard! Put us out of our misery.

Wasn't the Obito fight alone an entire year?
Why does it even matter, Kishi doesn't even know how he'll defeat Madara...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95339155]Naruto had problems because it's rushed, not the other way around.[/QUOTE]

Um...over half of part two has taken place within a week in universe.

That's Bleach at its worst bad.

Preface: Please remember that i've not read the entirety of YYH but i've only just finished the Toguro arc.

I'm sorry but the more i think about it the more i feel that Naruto (or any other famous shonen nowadays) is far superior to YYH, even only for the fact that Naruto actually has a story where YYH does not.
Even without counting the first 20 chapters YYH feels mostly random and episodic where you can actually feel the holes in the plot on your skin, Hiei and Kurama switched from antagonists to Yusuke's best-friends-forever in a matter of an handful of chapters. Training arcs are non existent and you only see Yusuke returning from them with the "look how badass i am" look typical of the after training. There's also a very poor explanation of the universe where things are said on the fly just to justify what is happening.
The fights too are pretty poor, the only one that was qualitatively good enough to be in other shonen in my opinion is Yusuke vs Toguro and even then it wouldn't be any major final boss fight but more something with the same importance of Deidara vs Sasuke.
Aside some incoherencies stuff like Naruto (sorry i always keep using it as example :/ ) is handled much better and if you think about it those incoherencies are born from the fact that the author actually wants to give the reader a sense of context of what is the universe and how it works, stuff that simply doesn't happen in YYH because you have no idea of how the world works hence why stuff like the magic ball to power up Yusuke and Kurama absorbing the power from his former body are excused or not shitted on... no context=no complains.

Now of course you can pinpoint all the flaws i've listed and you can say "but Reborn had that too, One Piece also have no training arcs, Dragon Ball is random too" etc. etc. but hardly you'll find something that right now is famous/successful but it's mediocre in all its parts.

When i made the previous post i though it was because probably in the 90's that was pretty much the standard but then i think about One Piece and Naruto have pretty much the same age and yet aren't so bad there's also JoJo's Bizarre Adventure which is even older and yet much better.
I can only be amazed and partially happy on how Togashi managed to pull stuff like HxH after what i've read of YYH and sincerely from now i will take YYH just like a modest and mediocre shonen instead of what i've initially thought.

That's just like your opinion man

YYH is awesome, read it for the first time last year and loved it. I never considered the story to be very important in YYH it's clearly just there as an excuse for Yusuke and co to have awesome shonen fights which the series delivers very well. Maybe if you don't like good shonen fights but then why are you reading shonen it's certainly not for the plot.

??? Does not compute.

How has Naruto been rushed? If anything its been overstaying its welcome as people are arguing for Bleach.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
??? Does not compute.

How has Naruto been rushed? If anything its been overstaying its welcome as people are arguing for Bleach.

To be fair it has been rushed and drawn out at the same time. We've rushed into the war arc, there should have been an arc or two in-between Pain and the war, and then the war itself has been way too drawn out. Basically Kishi wants to end it already but has absolutely no idea how.

To be fair it has been rushed and drawn out at the same time. We've rushed into the war arc, there should have been an arc or two in-between Pain and the war, and then the war itself has been way too drawn out. Basically Kishi wants to end it already but has absolutely no idea how.

Basically it comes down to most of part 2 being complete shit in terms of story, characters, fights, and pacing. The few stand out moments like the Immortals arc, Sasuke vs Itachi fight, and Pain arc up to the true final confrontation don't balance out the sheer dumb.

Every arc should be like the chasing Sasuke and the Sound Nin arc. Open up with a little story, then a solid string of diverse battles featuring each ninja. Because it's always Naruto and his shitty two moves, if feels drawn out when it shouldn't.

[quote="God's Beard!";95341270]Every arc should be like the chasing Sasuke and the Sound Nin arc. Open up with a little story, then a solid string of diverse battles featuring each ninja. Because it's always Naruto and his shitty two moves, if feels drawn out when it shouldn't.[/quote]

This pretty much summarized everything wrong with part 2 in the best way possible

LeleSocho

Banned
That's just like your opinion man

YYH is awesome, read it for the first time last year and loved it. I never considered the story to be very important in YYH it's clearly just there as an excuse for Yusuke and co to have awesome shonen fights which the series delivers very well. Maybe if you don't like good shonen fights but then why are you reading shonen it's certainly not for the plot.

Of course it's my opinion, never said otherwise :p

I'm searching for a spark of story because the fights until now have been awful, they conclude themselves within 2-3 moves per character and none of those moves have some kind of strategic value, or explained, or are interesting.
It all ends up as *attack* -> "i've this ability your attacks do nothing" -> * enemy attacks* -> "urgh you hurt me but eat this attack" -> *new attack* -> "ahahah not even a scratch, now die!" -> "are you sure?" -> *enemy dies while attacking and damaging the good guy*
Now that would be good too since lots of other manga do that but those attacks aren't neither flashy or interesting to see.
It's exactly like that gif that i've posted which was a parody of shonens with the exception that the gif was a parody but this isn't.

Now if the fights disappoint what else you can enjoy in this work? Characters? Nope blank puppets as i already said.
Story? There isn't.
Art? Hardly groundbreaking.
In other shonen i can always find a redeeming factor for the problems they have but i can't find any in this so for me is mediocre.

Just caught up with Akame ga Kill and I seriously want to believe that this shit is a fake out. I don't think I've ever seen a character death so obvious in any other work of fiction. At least she'll get the confession out right? Unless the Demon chick comes out of fucking nowhere at the top of a mountain to kill her. And it would be pretty hilarious if the only girls that fall for him either die or are complete psychopaths.

I'm probably in denial.

And that just leaves Esdese. Which is perfectly acceptable.

LeleSocho

Banned
Basically it comes down to most of part 2 being complete shit in terms of story, characters, fights, and pacing. The few stand out moments like the Immortals arc, Sasuke vs Itachi fight, and Pain arc up to the true final confrontation don't balance out the sheer dumb.

Part 2 is where most of the stuff gets juicy, you have lots and lots of characters' personalities explained, yes none of the fights in part 2 arrives to the glory of Gaara vs Lee but the average quality is way higher even because in part one there weren't too much 1on1 fights.
The Kakuzu&Hidan fight alone is better than all the non-boss fights of part1.

scy

It all ends up as *attack* -> "i've this ability your attacks do nothing" -> * enemy attacks* -> "urgh you hurt me but eat this attack" -> *new attack* -> "ahahah not even a scratch, now die!" -> "are you sure?" -> *enemy dies while attacking and damaging the good guy*

Isn't this basically every shounen fight?

As far as I'm concerned for YYH, it's a good full ride (-ish, final arc is a bit of a letdown) and the majority of the "fun" from the fights is just the variety of powers, not really from full-fledged story around dudes.

Also, I'm curious how you'll feel after the 3rd arc or even after parts of the finale.

Hoshin Engi Vol.10

EjUDjbf.jpg

And now we get basically another mini-boss runs. Always nice to see each character fight and it is our way of seeing how strong they gotten since the last mini-boss run.

DRUMP (oneshot)
tumblr_mynpn8y2l71qbxqfpo1_500.png

One of the best jump one shots in awhile. The best friend Nero design may have been lacking but that didnt hold this back from being a really compelling and even suspenseful and thrilling series for its 50 or so pages. I wish it did extend to a full series as the DRUMP game is actually kind of fun and interesting and makes me wish to play it, like those DRUMP players and videos going around on jpn mangatwitter. A game being extended from a standard deck of cards and still seemingly potentially as complex as modern cardgames from bushiroad and konami raised it a few bars in my book. I enjoyed it and the visuals and the facedown with bursting.

I never thought I'd see the day when not only is there someone hating on YYH but also saying Naruto is better thank god this shit year is over tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom