• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Lele saying Naruto is far superior than YYH?
Wow.

Is this even allowed, how is this not against the TOS of
life
I do think YYH is heavily flawed. But when Togashi hits a high note he does some pretty good work, some of the best shonen out there. HxH is much better and much more consistent than YYH, but YYH really put Togashi on the map. All Naruto will be remembered for is being a clusterfuck.

DRUMP (oneshot)
tumblr_mynpn8y2l71qbxqfpo1_500.png

One of the best jump one shots in awhile. The best friend Nero design may have been lacking but that didnt hold this back from being a really compelling and even suspenseful and thrilling series for its 50 or so pages. I wish it did extend to a full series as the DRUMP game is actually kind of fun and interesting and makes me wish to play it, like those DRUMP players and videos going around on jpn mangatwitter. A game being extended from a standard deck of cards and still seemingly potentially as complex as modern cardgames from bushiroad and konami raised it a few bars in my book. I enjoyed it and the visuals and the facedown with bursting.
I dont have any doubt Drump will be serialized this coming year. It has everything Jump is looking for especially with series ending...

Pre time skip was alright. Everything after is terrible barring Pain.
I thought Akatsuki were decent enough villains they didnt need to introduce anymore villains after though. This spam beaming fusion chakra sharing body switxhjng hidden identity everyone singing koombyeya to defeat this brah is not compelling in the slightest. Shame on the editor.

FYC

Banned
I wish the Akatsuki had a chance to all fight together at the same time, utilizing each others powers. That could have been neat.

I did like Shikamaru and the gang vs Hidan / Kakuzu.

The thing with Akatsuki was that they were a bunch of mid bosses. Not many were really a huge threat.

I missed Itachi that was a villain as well. Kishi changed so many things in part 2 and I personally thought most of it were terrible, especially the Tobi to Obito. Minato was suppose to be a genius. His techniques are a ripoff of Tobirama, and now he's just a Gary Stu.

I wish the Akatsuki had a chance to all fight together at the same time, utilizing each others powers. That could have been neat.

I did like Shikamaru and the gang vs Hidan / Kakuzu.

That was the only fight where Kishi remembered more then just Naruto, Sasuke, and Kakashi could fight and it was well liked and received. Funny how that works

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Honeymoon Salad - End

I just finished this and what a strange way to end a manga... even the lead up to it was bazaar.

The dead eyes usage in the latter chapters were effective and powerful for establishing just how accepting the MCs had become with a terrible situation. The artist, in an instance, made a swap with this aspect that instantly made me flip my sympathy. It was one of the most powerful instances of authorial control I've ever felt from a manga. The author set out to make something unorthodox and I feel he succeeded more or less.

Akito

Kyou Kara Ore Wa! v21-38 (end)
I spent the last couple of nights "marathon" the second half of this series because I though this is a great manga to to wrap up a year. I was not disappointed, as a whole it was an amazing ride despite a few bumps here and there, one of the most funniest thing I've ever read and Mitsuhashi will be joining my personal selection of (in-)glorious bastards who you really don't want to mess with.
But... what the fuck was up with that ending though?

iZmHLzXVXcc6P.gif

I can't imagine the series being axed so why couldn't Nishimori give us just a little more closure. Bromance is nice and all but what did Riko do to deserve this, this makes the Slam Dunk ending look good in comparison. Way to spoil my lasting impression of this series man :(
I will check out the anime but I don't really expect anything.

LeleSocho

Banned
Isn't this basically every shounen fight?

As far as I'm concerned for YYH, it's a good full ride (-ish, final arc is a bit of a letdown) and the majority of the "fun" from the fights is just the variety of powers, not really from full-fledged story around dudes.

Also, I'm curious how you'll feel after the 3rd arc or even after parts of the finale.

Yes with the only difference that other shonen try to mask that (often badly) with some tactic or other stuff but YYH really is what you've quoted without any synthesis.

By the way i'm 100% sure that the anime is way better than the manga and in fact i'll go and watch it after finished reading this.

upandaway

Akame ga Kill 38

Catching up. Considering it's Seryuu, I thought her final fight would be flashier, but oh well. Now that I think about it, we already knew everything about her power, so it makes sense.

Now the only thing left for Mein to be ready to die is some kind of satisfaction in the face of death (like protecting Tatsumi or something). As long as she still doesn't have that she's safe, but that's really all she's standing on. Every other kind of death flag is covered.

retcon
39 (first 5 pages)

...she's gone at the next opportunity

upandaway

Akame ga Kill 44

Another new team of people, huh.. that's gonna be fun. Mein is so far off in death flag land, and the unthinkable is happening: I'm starting to think that it's too obvious that she'll die, and that's why she won't. This manga is approaching an era of meta trickery with death flags on the level of Medaka Box. My sanity is at stake.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
??? Does not compute.

How has Naruto been rushed? If anything its been overstaying its welcome as people are arguing for Bleach.

Not that we need to discuss "why Naruto sucks" again, but the biggest pacing problem to me has been that the entire war arc was unnecessary. You could have had Kabuto summon only the old Kages and Madara as his Edo Tensei and just had the Kages/Naruto/Konoha named ninjas fighting them and had it be the same thing but without absurd power creep and 10 billion chapters about Darui fighting those random brothers, or Samurai guy fighting Hanzo.

The worst part was having an entire Edo Tensei arc and Naruto doesn't fight Jiriaya.

Only thing I dislike about the last few chapters is how Tatsumi got a bad case of shounenitis and suddenly forgot about all the mutual attraction stuff that was going on before hand. C'mon bro.

LeleSocho

Banned
Not that we need to discuss "why Naruto sucks" again, but the biggest pacing problem to me has been that the entire war arc was unnecessary. You could have had Kabuto summon only the old Kages and Madara as his Edo Tensei and just had the Kages/Naruto/Konoha named ninjas fighting them and had it be the same thing but without absurd power creep and 10 billion chapters about Darui fighting those random brothers, or Samurai guy fighting Hanzo.

The worst part was having an entire Edo Tensei arc and Naruto doesn't fight Jiriaya.

Madara always has been a trump card if the situation was not going well, it makes way more sense to have dozens of very strong controllable ninja than only one crazybatshit insane uncontrollable superpower like Madara.
Also sincerely there are already tons of characters have an hinted past that probably won't be shown in Naruto, if you remove the war arc you essentially remove the possibility to tell the story of these secondary characters.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Madara always has been a trump card if the situation was not going well, it makes way more sense to have dozens of very strong controllable ninja than only one crazybatshit insane uncontrollable superpower like Madara.
Also sincerely there are already tons of characters have an hinted past that probably won't be shown in Naruto, if you remove the war arc you essentially remove the possibility to tell the story of these secondary characters.

It only makes more sense if you have no restriction at all on how many he can have, which while accurate in-universe, makes less sense.

Those stories weren't interesting.

TokiDoki

Hey as for YYH , while the formulae is the same , Yuusuke vs Toguro really gave me the chills . The powered up nen blast , Toguro transforming etc it is as good as one of the best Shonen fights ever be . The whole Budokai is awesome too , Hiei's Jaou Ensatsu Kokuryuuha never gets old .

LeleSocho

Banned
It only makes more sense if you have no restriction at all on how many he can have, which while accurate in-universe, makes less sense.

Those stories weren't interesting.

Opinions man, i think it would be interesting to know the story of Kakashi's father or the one of the Seven Swordsmith or who the hell is Sai's brother and what he has done etc etc. It helps you appreciate the characters.

upandaway

Anyone wanna do a "best manga of 2013 list" kind of thing? I haven't really picked any new ones this year so I have nothing to work with. I know Dakku picked up a ton of things.

Anyone wanna do a "best manga of 2013 list" kind of thing? I haven't really picked any new ones this year so I have nothing to work with. I know Dakku picked up a ton of things.

ohgosh, putting me on the spot like that

I mean is this best things I read this year or best things I read this year that also started this year

Angry Grimace

Opinions man, i think it would be interesting to know the story of Kakashi's father or the one of the Seven Swordsmith or who the hell is Sai's brother and what he has done etc etc. It helps you appreciate the characters.

But none of those actually happened outside of anime filler.

gunbo13

Shingeki no Kyojin (c31-52)

SbkS74Z.png

Stemming off the anime, the drama continues.

The art is mostly very good except for some sameness, causing character confusion. Even Titans appear to morph in size, which throws off the visuals. Overall though, the art is serviceable.

I thought the colossal and iron titan reveals were too sudden. I also for some reason had no idea about the true identities (chalk this one up to not following forums). I guessed Annie once they spoke of an enemy spy and the appearance added up. That along with her sudden disappearance in the narrative. I guess I figured the identities of the colossal and iron were outside characters as Annie didn't show herself until years later in her form. The colossal titan also was a menace when showing up early and seeing Bertholt as the reveal kind of took some steam out of it (pun intended).

The biggest surprise for this work (aside from the well done anime adaption) is the writing. It's not predictable and actually has some decent messages. I enjoyed the simple idea that the titans have brought mankind together, burying internal wars, as a common enemy was found. A common logic but still nice to see applied to this fictional world.

My biggest beef is the ass-pulls. How long is Levi going to be hurt? You know that we wanted him out of commission so he can be pulled for bad-assery in the future. He's basically a council leader at this point. There are a bit too many convenient circumstances bringing certain groups together and isolating others. It's like the smaller narratives might as well be assigned arrows like their battle plans.

Otherwise, damn good manga. I'm hooked.

bjork

1. Worst (series end)
2. Crows (series end)
3. Rookies (series end)
4. Himizu
5. One Piece
6-infinity - tie

Shingeki no Kyojin (c31-52)

SbkS74Z.png

Stemming off the anime, the drama continues.

The art is mostly very good except for some sameness, causing character confusion. Even Titans appear to morph in size, which throws off the visuals. Overall though, the art is serviceable.

I thought the colossal and iron titan reveals were too sudden. I also for some reason had no idea about the true identities (chalk this one up to not following forums). I guessed Annie once they spoke of an enemy spy and the appearance added up. That along with her sudden disappearance in the narrative. I guess I figured the identities of the colossal and iron were outside characters as Annie didn't show herself until years later in her form. The colossal titan also was a menace when showing up early and seeing Bertholt as the reveal kind of took some steam out of it (pun intended).

The biggest surprise for this work (aside from the well done anime adaption) is the writing. It's not predictable and actually has some decent messages. I enjoyed the simple idea that the titans have brought mankind together, burying internal wars, as a common enemy was found. A common logic but still nice to see applied to this fictional world.

My biggest beef is the ass-pulls. How long is Levi going to be hurt? You know that we wanted him out of commission so he can be pulled for bad-assery in the future. He's basically a council leader at this point. There are a bit too many convenient circumstances bringing certain groups together and isolating others. It's like the smaller narratives might as well be assigned arrows like their battle plans.

Otherwise, damn good manga. I'm hooked.

HOLY CRAP :O :O :O :O

Well if were doing a best of manga that we read in 2013 list then I can contribute somewhat. Ultimately this year brought me up to 179 completed series, so much good progress.

1. Haikyuu!!

This year covered the end of the fantastic tournament while introducing potentially one fo the best characters in sports series Oikawa/Iwaizumi and Aobajosai, along with bringing back Kenma and Kuroo (Nekoma), and introducing Fukurodani (bokuto). Liked it this year and is just as good as Free! and tied for my favorites sports series ever.

2. Konya mo Nemurenai

Always a favorite just for the cross thing of the demons and human story and both couples being focused upon in the story. Romance may be slow but the plot was fast and still intense as we went through this year and volume into the next one. I wish I could have met the author earlier this year, if only I was in JPN.

3. His Favorite (Aitsu no Daihonmei)

Been buying it and its also a slow but extremely hilarious school romance between friends. Art style is good and perfect for it and the plot while crazy at times never made things bad and its always memorable.

4. K - Memory of Red

Best addition to the K universe with the focus on Homra, and other stories in the world of K spanning not only key members of Homra like Yata but even Septer4 with Fushimi, Munakata, and more. Ending was a good place though really emotional. It was just as good as the anime.

5. Seraph of the End

Like most of the other exorcist type stories in JUMP SQ this one is at the top in delivering excellent action, great moments of family and friendship, and gorgeous art (though its no Tegami Bachi). Glad it was picked up for release here in the US by Viz and am looking forward to more as we go on. Would have also mentioned Fantasma here too but that is only still at one chapter, but it is just as great.

6. Sleeping Moon

Good story and pick up from sublime manga. Really enjoyed both volumes and Kano Miyamoto gave her characters both male and female good art. The supernatural story was wonderfully told in all nine chapters plus the bonus and even spanning across two time periods with its deep curse plotline and backstory there and trying to solve the mystery/paradox of it all didnt feel cramped or constrained within the two volumes. In fact it was told quite well and even gave nice amounts of moments between Akihiko and Ren, Akihiko and Eitarou and even for the side characters to have some nice development too. Glad I purchased it and will reread again sometime. Its was really good.

7. Hinatama

The best shoujo of the year, pure friendship, cute younger relatives, and good art. A must read.

8. Mazu wa, Hitokuchi.

Flying pigs are unforgettable and thus this romance manga was too with the bit of drama and suspense, difficulty making the confession to each other, and then the bit of romance. Lovely.

9. Slow Starter

Although it was a slow story, going through the two and how they became friends just from the train ride to commute to school, their interactions at their respective schools and the school festival arc made for a really good and touching ride. The last chapter was so worth it especially many moments in it bathroom confessional and the final page. Was a good read (actually read the manga twice).

10. Bokura no Negai / Ace of Diamond / Shokugeki no Soma

Hard to decide between the three, Bokura no Negai is a fun family series even if it had a tragedy, but the brothers are doing well together and on their own and the various issues with romance cropping up is pretty pleasing .

Ace of Diamond is good sports even just so few chapters, intense hardcore baseball, excellent emotions, and pleasant pacing.

And I like Soma for various reasons, good school, nice art, pleasant teasing of my characters, and good food. Dont dislike any character or even anything in it. 2nd best in JUMP.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is it weird that a friend and I spent 2 1/2 hours breaking down and discussing the first part of Koe no Kitachi? This is probably my favorite manga out right now, though I don't like where it's headed for potential drama reasons D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom