• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
How do you guys even remember what have you started this year?
I should save this stuff somewhere to remember, think that up until yesterday i thought that gagnam style mania was this summer and not the previous one :/

Anyway even if i remembered i wouldn't post a top ten because i think i barely have managed to start 10 series so...

NastyBook

Stuff I've been reading this year that I've enjoyed, more or less:

1. Shokugeki no Soma - Love this manga plot, characters, art and cheesecake. It's just been pleasant to read this year.
2. Prison School - Totally called the Rube Goldberg fanservice on Batoto.net. Should technically tie with SnS.
3. One Punch Man - Hope this guy keeps his shit from getting an anime before he's done.
4. Team Medical Dragon - My most serious, favorite manga to read.
5. Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru - Felt good to save this one by signing that Deadbeat Scans petition.
6. All Rounder Meguru - The attention to detail of the fights is what keeps me reading.
7. History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - Some good ass fights this year.
8. Sun-Ken Rock - Shit's about to hit fan now in this book. Chapter speed is killing me.
9. Claymore - Finish the Fight, Claire.
10. Mysterious Girlfriend X - Chapter speed is REALLY killing me.
11. Gamble Fish - Love the main character's ever growing harem.
12. Hajime no Ippo - FUCK YOU, GEORGE MORIKAWA.
13. Bleach - FUCK YOU, KUBO TITE.
14. Naruto - FUCK YOU AND YOUR GENJUTSU, MASASHI KISHIMOTO.
15. One Piece - Surprised the little people aren't walking around with perpetual hard-ons from being able to see up Robin's skirt. Also, FUCK YOU, ODA.

upandaway

How do you guys even remember what have you started this year?
I should save this stuff somewhere to remember, think that up until yesterday i thought that gagnam style mania was this summer and not the previous one :/

Anyway even if i remembered i wouldn't post a top ten because i think i barely have managed to start 10 series so...
And you have no excuse because you got like 50 recommendations.

I was about to ask that too after seeing Akito, I can barely remember what I read in the summer much less the year.

Akito

Well, I add a manga to my finished list on MAL as soon as I'm done reading it and I use RSS feed to keep track of the list do I could even tell you on which day I have finished which manga.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Can't really be bothered to talk about continuing stuff that I've picked up before this year, but stand out discoveries for me this year is probably.

1. Majime na Jikan
2. 7 seeds
3. Real Clothes
4. Kakukaku Shikajika
5. One-punch man
6. Shounen Oujo
7. Yuureitou
8. Shokugeki no soma
9. Basara
10. Ran of the grey world

... and I'm probably forgetting quite a bit, and some of them are probably late 2012, but whatever.

upandaway

Manga I want to read this year (only the ones I could think of right now):
- GTO
- Nausicaä
- Vinland Saga
- Yotsuba&!
- REAL
- Blade of the Immortal (more like picking it up again and finishing it)
- Kingdom
- Akame ga Kiru
- Binbougami ga!
- Ocha Nigosu.
- Hito Hitori Futari
- Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome
- Kabu no Isaki
- Boys on the Run
....wait a second. wait wait hold up.

How did you hide this from us all this time akito. What is that name doing there. I mean you outright deceived us. And you would've gotten away with it too, if there wasn't at least one person here reading these lists! I'm feeling lightheaded

shocking

My list. (From series for which I read chapter 1 for the first time in 2013 OR continuing series.)

1) Yotsuba&! - continues to be the one I look most forward to.
2) Horimiya
3) Baby Steps
4) Barakamon
5) Shokugeki no Soma
6)1/11 Juuichi Bun no Ichi
7) The Breaker - New Waves (Just for the two page spreads. Even if you stripped all the dialogue, I would still read this).
8) Kingdom
9) The Gamer

wonzo

Banned
OPM (ONE) 93
opmo93.jpg

lmfao at that response

Akito

....wait a second. wait wait hold up.

How did you hide this from us all this time akito. What is that name doing there. I mean you outright deceived us. And you would've gotten away with it too, if there wasn't at least one person here reading these lists! I'm feeling lightheaded

shocking
Hey, we went through this already, the reason I haven't picked up Yotsuba is because I want to have something happy at my disposal for the case I've picked up something as heavy as say Berserk.
I just haven't got around to do it.

upandaway

Hey, we went through this already, the reason I haven't picked up Yotsuba is because I want to have something happy at my disposal for the case I've picked up something as heavy as say Berserk.
I just haven't got around to do it.
I remember that, I also remember telling you that you're being silly. And that it was a million years ago.
Do you want me to scold you akito.

Akito

If you like kyou kara ore wa you should definitely read this. It's a lot more varied and inventive in humour and situations.

Well, I'm actually waiting for it to be completed and as slow as the translation seems, I think (hope) that it will happen this year.
I remember that, I also remember telling you that you're being silly. And that it was a million years ago.
Do you want me to scold you akito.
You will be the first to know if, pardon as soon as I have picked it up, promise ;P

mjontrix

Akame ga Kiru! 44

Okay, this guy creeps me out.

Hope he dies first before the other fodder looking characters. Maybe by Ran if the two of them are related in some way.

Kurome and Wave are a cute couple. They won't last long.

And Mein is not confessing until she dies in Tatsumi's arms.

Please it's too obvious that mein dies - inb4 Akame dies and shit gets more real.

Best stuff I read/discovered in 2013

7. Assassination Classroom
10.Yamada and the Seven Witches

Honorable mentions would be:
Shinya Shokudo, Prison School, Cooking Master Boy, Soredemo, Akame ga Kiru and Adekan (think this most for the gorgoeus art and detail and less for the story haha).

Would I like Adekan?

Anyway, I would have had Assassination Classroom on it as well, the chapters in 2013 were good especially once the exams stuff was covered and then we entered into this hotel arc of sorts and it got dark (did you watch the ova yet? Karma is great!)
tumblr_myh84vxQvi1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_myh84vxQvi1qbxqfpo4_500.png

bigkrev

Back from my party, so let me wish Happy New Years on all of you!

My resolution is to get caught up in One Piece by the end of the year- I started it this year, and Skypiea nearly killed me. Currently in the first few volumes of Water 7.

Gonna need some time to compile a list of manga I've read this year, probably wouldn't be a complete list either since I've read a lot of stuff this year with some probably forgotten

Noblesse 309-310
Did the author really need to make Frankie completely innocent? Then, overpowered but short fight

Ok a couple of Top 5 lists for the 2013 year of manga. Not gonna bother with 10 because thats a bit too much for the amount I read even in a year.

Top 5 Ongoing mangas series in 2013

1. Bleach: The final war arc continues and we finally learned of Ichigo's origins which was something Fans have been asking for a long time. Then we had the invasion of the Quincy that has been back and forth with Renji going into his new Bankai to end the year. So hyped for 2014 Bleach and the other enemy sure to reveal itself behind Bach.

2. HSD Kenichi: We start of the year in a somber manner with Tanaka dying to Kensai's fist and Rimi crippled. Its been bad news for the Masters all year long and Elder getting injured is making things dangerous. Really excited to see what the new year brings.

3. One Piece: Ups and downs but the end to Dressrosa is nearing in 2014. Hope Oda hits it out of the park or I will be very disappointed.

4. Fairy Tail: End of the tournament where things got dark only for the end of the year to get even darker. I'm excited to see where FT ends up especially since Rave Master was pretty damn dark for a series.

5. Beelzebub: It feels like its nearing its end with Beel gone and the new enemy. I'm sad but excited to see the ending to this manga.

Top 5 New Manga I've started reading

1. Swagmoto: This is a no brainer

2. Food Smut: Food and orgasms, what else do you need?

3. World Trigger: A little more time and I can see it being my Bleach replacement when that ends and if this manga is ongoing.

4. Dragons Rioting: Sexy girls and an awesome MC with crazy martial arts skills that cannot touch girls, lots of fun.

5. Gun X Clover: So dark but so good!

(All the other new mangas didn't catch or keep my interest/I haven't read them yet.)

Top 5 finished mangas this year

1. Initial D: ;_; I will miss you Takumi and co! Even though the rest of the chapters aren't translated I can safely say this one tops it for me.

2. Omamori Himori: Comedy Harem ends the way I expected it to.

3. Medaka Box: Not the best ending but one of the better ones. Happy that Medaka and Zenkichi ended up together. Most Shonen don't bother with that.

4. Soul Eater: Overall not satisfied with this manga but I'll take what I can get.

5. Deadman Wonderland: The ending gave me mixed feelings about the manga.

Top 5 worst mangas of 2013

1. Rage Town: Lets have Sex, Lets have a Long Distance Relationship, Lets Break Up.

2. Naruto: Flashback + Talk no jutsu / Madara * Obito = Shit.

3. Gantz:......

4. Hunter X Hunter: Failure to update

5. Berserk: Failure to update more

Top 5 manga of all time up to now

1. Yu Yu Hakusho

2. Full Metal Alchemist

3. Great Teacher Onizuka

4. Dragon Ball Z

5. Ruronin Kenshin

Thats it for me. Probably forgot a ton of manga because I'm sleepy while writing this lol.

bjork

Is it weird that a friend and I spent 2 1/2 hours breaking down and discussing the first part of Koe no Kitachi? This is probably my favorite manga out right now, though I don't like where it's headed for potential drama reasons D:

Nothing weird about that at all, I wish one of my friends would read it enough to discuss it. It's a good little series so far.

A Town Where Your Friend Tries To Hook You Up While Trying To Date You 5-6

Eba is the ultimate wingman... When she isn't stealing kisses herself lol oh lord this series

Maou na Ano Ko to Murabito A 1-5
First thing i read in the new year. Sort of interesting. The main heroines sort of remind me of Haganai at least from a design point. Ryuugamine is kind of cute with her plans "to destroy humanity". Tsubasa is pretty much annoyingly butts into everybody's business for justice and isn't really cute.

You'd love Adekan!

Wait, you aren't already reading Adekan?!

Yeah I was kinda thinking this too and could have swore DTL recommended or mentioned this either earlier in the thread or a previous one.

Anyway, lots of bishonens and compromising poses, the main character has both no bones (so to speak due to all that limber posing) and has the loosest fitting kimono ever. The actual story follows a pretty simple there's a "problem/mystery/crime afoot and we gotta solve it with fanservice fighting" mechanic. It occasionally focuses on Shiro's (protag) past but it doesn't become a big deal until recent chapters. Also Shiro doesn't like underwear if I remember correctly.

Colors are gorgeous:
As well as the actual comic (which is sometimes can be hard to follow because she uses awkward panel direction--not a good example here)

At DTL comment regarding Ass Class, I tend not to watch anime based on manga but I do like Karma and Ass Class, I'll probably give it a gander.

LeleSocho

Banned
And you have no excuse because you got like 50 recommendations.

I was about to ask that too after seeing Akito, I can barely remember what I read in the summer much less the year.

You know pandacchin i'm not an heavy reader out of 50 recommendations the stuff i pick up is at best 2 series and the rest goes into future reading if i liked it.

New year resolution is to read more stuff, are you pleased pandacchin?

K - Days of Blue 3

Hilarious seeing most of the blues on their day off. And made Awashima san not that bad of a character. I liked the touch of Homra and Kusanagi san at the end, until next month.

vareon

This time of the year last year I was hit on a wave of feels while reading Molester Man. Kinda made me want to reread it again.

Attack on Titan Before the Fall 3

Kyukuro got really good after these two years, and though it feels like it become some romantic tale of sorts in these end times, I think it has potential to be interesting. Though I dont see how long this could get as theres no real danger if they are truly all the way in the center of safe world.

Nordicus

Koi Neko 1-83

Just entertaining and cute enough to keep reading up to this point, but uneventful and boring enough for me to keep sighing and yawning at times. There were some rather good characters in the cast, but often times their humor potential felt untapped

The biggest highlight was when the manga referenced a much better series. In different genre sure, but still (though I would kill for a Black Lagoon harem romcom spin-off series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom