• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't be New Year's Eve without reminiscing on how 96.72% of everything I read this year was completely forgettable.

Best Manga of 2013

This excludes anything I didn't begin reading in 2013.

manga2013frsst.jpg

Left to right, no order:

Series
Komorebi no Kuni / Skyhigh: Karma / Sweet Magic Syndrome / Private Actress /
Medaka Box / Toukage no Ou / Cross Days / Taboo-Tattoo

Oneshots
Akumu no Elevator / Giniro no Kami no Arisa

Most Anticipated (stuff that went on my backlog)
Kasane / Dr Hitomi's Infirmary
HMs to a ton of series (not pictured), including Seeking for Death, Deguchi Zero and Abnormal-kei Joshi.

Best Series - Komorebi no Kuni
Best Oneshot - Akumu no Elevator
Worst Series - Fuku Neko

Best Waifu - Lucia (Venus Versus Virus)
Best Husbando - Kumagawa (Medaka Box)
Best MC - Arisa (Giniro no Kami no Arisa)
Worst Character - Sumire (Venus Versus Virus)

My list of stuff to check out has slightly over 1,400 entries now. If I haven't made any progress on it by 2015 I think I'm just gonna give up on everything and start a new life in a monastery.

dumbyugi

I guess I'll do a best manga I read in 2013 list as well.

1. Touch

My first Adachi manga. I would easily call this one of my favourite manga ever, it's a truly fantastic series. This was easily the best thing I read this year. Not much to say that I didn't already say when I read it.

2. Gunsmith Cats

A fantastic series with very few faults. If it didn't make my overall top 10 favourites it would be in my top 15. Again not much to say that I haven't already. Too bad Burst wasn't that great.

3. Shokugeki no Soma

Easily the best series in Jump right now. All the characters are fun, the art is great and the story is very enjoyable. If this was just a list of ongoing series this would be at the top.

4. Nanatsu no Taizai

Another great series. It's not so much the story that makes this great but the characters. All of them are fun in their own way. Ban is especially great. I'm really looking foward to seeing how this progresses this year.

5. Nobunaga no Chef

This was the biggest suprise for me of the year. I wasn't expecting this to be as enjoyable as it is. There are so many trashy series about people ending up in Nobunaga's time but this one is fantastic. I wish someone would licence this for an English release.

6. To Love-ru Darkness

One of my favourite series ever. This was a good smutty year for To Love-ru. Not much else to say really.

7. Saki

Not the best year for Saki but it's still a great series. It's my second favourite series ever so it was always going to be on this list.

8. Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to

I love Hiroyuki's stuff and this is one of his best. The characters are funny and the jokes never felt too repetitive.

9. Medaka Box

A fun over-the-top series that probably went on for 1 arc too many. This would be higher but no Kumagawa in the ending annoyed me.

10. Qualia the Purple

There's a very good chance this will be in my 2014 list as well. A crazy sci-fi story that is nothing like what I was expecting when I started. I just hope the rest gets scanned soon.

I read a lot of really good series in 2013 and there are some, like Swagamoto, that just barely missed getting in my top 10. I hope 2014 is just as good a year for manga.

1. Swagmoto

Nuff said

2. Aunts tits

Glorious

3. Shokugeki no soma

Part smut part shonen all awesome

4. One piece

Dressrosa has been getting more and more exciting every week love it

5. Magi

Even if the way dragged there was still enough awesome to balance it out

6. Toriko

Very enjoyable series, looking forward to part 2

7. Medaka box

Ending was kind of ehh, but was still fairly enjoyable

8. Bleach

For all its faults I still enjoyed the stuff we got this year.

9. Attack on titan

It's just okay, though teases for next year have me excited

10. Fairy Tail

So lewd and and yet still fun

Worst of 2013

1. Naruto

Zzzz wake me up when this shit ends

2. Hot house

WTF!

3. Children can't choose their parents

Wtf?

Yes naruto was worse then hot house because at least hot house had the decency of being upfront so I could drop it where as Naruto dragged me along for a whole year of boring chapters and still has no bloody end in sight

Stulaw

Akarui Sekai Keikaku 1
So the premise is, all the male students in a school have been implanted with a chip that will explode if they don't find love and mate by the end of school due to some silly reason to do with Japan's apparent declining birthrates.

Yes, as you guessed, this is a (supposed) romantic comedy, which will probably end up as a Harem.

The main character is a guy called Haru who's only into 2D girls, this is one of the problems, the other problem is out of all the students in the school, 9 of them, 5 guys and 4 girls haven't found love (including Haru), meaning one of the boys is going to die.

First girl introduced is a yandere.

Note: I am probably forgetting some series but they'll always be a favorite in my heart.

Note again: I might not remember if I read it in 2013 or not.

Seishun Forget!
Zai x 10
Youkai Apato no Yuuga na Nichijou
Wakabayashi Toshiya’s 4-koma Collection
Toufuu (Fu)kenbunroku
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
Shuuen no Shiori
Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga
Shokugeki no Soma
Shinonome Yuuko wa Tanpen Shousetsu o Aishite Iru
Senyuu
Seishun Kouryakuhon
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Sakuran
Renai Shimasen ka?
Puchim@su!
Prunus Girl
Petit Petit Tantan Petit Tantan
Ore ga Akuma de, Aitsu ga Yome de
Ootagawa Junjou Lovers
Kakuriyo Monogatari
Itoshi no Karin
Double Gauge
Contract Detective Nokori Kasuhiro
Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko
Boku no Tonari ni Ankoku Hakaishin ga Imasu
15 - Meisetsu Kougyou Koukou Rugby Bu

Erigu

Shingeki no Kyojin (c31-52)
My biggest beef is the ass-pulls. How long is Levi going to be hurt?
Don't forget that everything from the first encounter with the female titan to Eren getting that new titan-controlling ability happened over just a few days. That last bit in particular happened the day after Annie was captured.

somedevil

A miracle has happened after 4 months the one version of onepunch-man has been updated with chapter 93. He put up a piece of it today.

In no particular order

1. Kingdom
2. 7 Seeds
3. Natsume Yuujinchou
4. Ran & The Grey World
5. Koe No Kitachi
6. Oresama Teacher
7. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
8. Kuragehime
9. Glass Mask
10. One Punch Man
11. Horimiya
12. Uchuu Kyodai
13. Akame Ga Kiru
14. Silver Spoon
15. Shokugeki No Soma

Senyuu 2 33

b33bFh6l.jpg

The easy way out ruins people.

Senyuu 2 34

qzWXMvRl.jpg

pupupu~ Pshh--

Senyuu 2 35

QRNKZHol.jpg

Just let GUILTY JUSTICE solve everything!

Senyuu 2 36

Oc5sLF5l.jpg

No one is a match for GUILTY JUSTICE!

This includes manga I started reading in 2013

1. Goodnight punpun
2. Yotsuba
3. Solanin
4. The Girl by the Sea
5-10. Rest of Asano's works.

Worst of 2013:
Naruto -END ALREADY

Sanctuary of Giants for 2013:

1. 7 Seeds - also wins Demographic Crossover-Appeal Award
  2. Jojolion - also wins Inscrutability in Fashion Award
  3. Prison School - also wins Mastery of Classical Technique Application in Smut Award
  4. Blade of the Immortal (nominated for best non-ink comic)
  5. KNIM (nominated for most misanthropic romance)
  6. One Punch-Man (nominated for innovations in panel layout design)
  7. Terraformars (nominated for innovations in casual racism)
  8. Mob Psycho 100 (nominated for lowest number of reaction faces in a comedy)
  9. Sakamoto Desu Ga? (nominated for most positive shonen hero)
  10. Magi (nominated for raising the cultural bar in children's comics)

Consolation Prizes:

• Dentist's Best Smile Award for Most Improved Shonen: Bleach
  • Walmart Dumpster Award for Most Stale Manga: One Piece
  • Miura & Togashi Association's Dangers of Extended Serialization Award: Naruto

wonzo

Banned
Exclusive | Fantagraphics to publish ‘Massive’ anthology of gay manga
massive-new-coverl1s3b.jpg

Next fall, Fantagraphics will publish Massive: Gay Erotic Manga and the Men Who Make It, featuring stories by an array of well known Japanese manga creators, many of whom have never been published in English before.

Massive was originally slated to be published by PictureBox, but the company closed its doors at the end of 2013 and Fantagraphics acquired the book as part of its queer comics line. Translators Anne Ishii and Graham Kolbeins and designer Chip Kidd will remain on the book at its new home; the three also worked on The Passion of Gengoroh Tagame, a collection of gay manga that PictureBox published last year to great acclaim.

The creators whose work is represented in the book are Gengoroh Tagame, Jiraiya, Seizoh Ebisubashi, Kazuhide Ichikawa, Guy Mizuki, Takeshi Matsu, Fumi Miyabi, and Kumada Poohsuke.

the BARA GODS have spoken

duckroll

Interesting comment about the term:

Also, because the press release touches on this, is it correct to call this bara manga? What does that word mean in Japan and in other countries?

Ishii: Bara is “rose” in Japanese, and not unlike the American use of “pansy.” It’s not a term our artists use to refer to themselves or their artwork. Some say it’s only a term straight people use to describe them. In fact, the response to the term when we interviewed each of our artists, was unanimous confusion/distaste. However, I believe it’s a relatively harmless linguistic “false friend” (like “fanny” or “pissed” in British versus American English). Obviously, Westerners have used the word not to denigrate gays but merely to distinguish this genre of gay manga from yaoi or BL. We use the word very sparingly and are hoping eventually when asked, “what the heck is this?” that “gay manga” will suffice as an answer.

Kolbeins: The etymology of “bara” is a source of endless fascination. It was originally a pejorative for gay men, but in the 1960s and 1970s, Japanese gay culture boldly reappropriated the term (in the title of Barazoku, for instance). By the 1990s, however, “bara” had fallen out of use and lost relevance within the gay community. That’s when the term took on a life of its own online. Tagame blames clueless heterosexual administrators in the early days of the Internet who used “bara” to label the gay forums, leading foreigners to believe it was a term for the artwork posted within. The ways Internet communities use “bara” today are even more muddled, expanding to describe “manly” gay artwork in general or refer to the bigger body types frequently found in gay manga. Personally, I used to use the term freely until we went to Japan and Tagame explained that “it’s a very negative word that comes with bad connotations.”

Toriko is a great series but I read a lot of better series.
Makes sense
Toriko is in my top 10 but it isn't my number 1 for 2013... and I wouldn't really even consider it in 2012
But the lists are meant to recognize the manga with actually good art.
:mad:
Monsieur One does not just judge art as only a illustrative form but also as a narrative one

If we only cared about art then Bleach would be more popular, Non Monsieur?

Edit: Also the cheesy 80-90s art-style compliments to the overall story
Toriko-Virgin Indeed
Yes I am going to use this new bolded term throughout 2014 and no one will stop me :p

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wow. The cover art for Akame ga Kill has gotten so much better. I really hope its eventual anime is fucking amazing.

Okay I'll end the Toriko rant for now
Since the Toriko alliance never helped me out.... You Cowards! *shakes fist
We will never get on the OP at this rate :(

That and probably a lot of people hate me for bringing Toriko up all the time
-----------

Anyway what I would likely re-read is Yu Yu Hakusho

Already started to purchase EyeShield 21 volumes to finish the collection

Will continue my regular Gintama, Toriko, Soma, Shingeki, Silver Spoon, One Piece, OPM, Nanatsu..... Naruto, blah blah, etc.. still

Might Drop Fairy Tail if Natsu saves the day in the next few chapters... The fan service is becoming unbearable anyway

And for the love of GOD... Three chapters! If Nisekoi is still filler crap after Three Chapter then good bye... You won't be missed

And who knows we might get some good new series next year too

Happy New Year MangaGAF!

The list of new series that I read in 2013 and would recommend:

Tonnura-san
Donyatsu
Shoukoku no Altair
Mob Psycho 100
Samurai Papa
Shokugeki no Soma
Apocalypse no Toride
Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There
Ran and the Grey World
Sakamoto Desu Ga?
Song of the Long March

Stuff (I Think) I Read This Year and Liked

Takemitsu Zamurai, Number 5--Two Taiyou Matsumoto series with very different artistic approaches, I liked Number 5's loopy psychedelic style a bit more, but both are utterly beautiful.
A Drifting Life--Gekiga forever.
Mix--Adachi. Baseball. Love triangle. High school. Good stuff.
Mob Psycho 100--Just picked it up, really looking forward to seeing where it's headed.
Japan Tengu Party Illustrated--Complete insanity.

I forget the rest.

Eleuin

Is it weird that I stopped reading Akame ga Kill because characters were dying at a rate that I couldn't handle? >_>

Don't think I read enough good manga this year to make a top ten but I'm definitely prioritizing stuff like girl by the sea and boys on the run next year..

Best stuff I read/discovered in 2013

1. Ran and the Gray World
cover.jpg
I wish this was translated in the states :/
2. Shokugeki no Soma
3. Donyatsu
4. One-Punch Man
5. Swagmoto
6. Ao no Exorcist
7. Assassination Classroom
8. Horimiya
9. Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko (Blood Diver Ringo and the Goldfish Bowl Man)
10.Yamada and the Seven Witches

Honorable mentions would be:
Shinya Shokudo, Prison School, Cooking Master Boy, Soredemo, Akame ga Kiru and Adekan (think this most for the gorgoeus art and detail and less for the story haha)

Worst thing
1. Nisekoi
2. Town where you __________ was curious, read 1 chapter, that was enough ._.

Akito

Back from the Silvester party, happy new year ManGAF!
I see we're doing the best manga list thingy, I'll need some time to sort out my list.

dumbyugi

Two of the series I was liking the most don't seem to be up on Manga Box anymore. Are Peephole and Schoolgirl Landlord Honoka missing for anyone else?

Akito

Two of the series I was liking the most don't seem to be up on Manga Box anymore. Are Peephole and Schoolgirl Landlord Honoka missing for anyone else?
Yeah, it looks like they were pulled, I can still see them in the summaries but can't access any chapters. Let's hope it's only a temporary thing.

Akito

Ongoing series I'm still enjoying (in no particular order):
- One Piece
- One-punch Man
- Swagamoto
- Good Night Punpun
- All Rounder Meguru
- Baby Steps
- Chihayafuru
- Full Metal Panic! Sigma (I guess technically it's completed but the last volume has yet to be translated)
- Genshiken Nidaime
- Silver Spoon
- Gisèle Alain
- Hinamatsuri
- Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha.
- Itsuya-san
- Mix
- Mob Psycho 100
- Natsu no Zenjitsu
- Otoyomegatari
- Ran and the Gray World
- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
- Shingeki no Kyojin
- Tetsugaku Letra
- Vagabond
- Yandere Kanojo

Completed manga I've read and enjoyed this year (also in no particular order):
- My Girl
- Bus Hashiru
- Sukima-Shiki
- Kyou Kara Ore Wa!
- Shibatora
- Makai no Ossan
- Yaotsukumo
- Tomodachi no Hanashi
- Me and the Devil Blues
- Helter Skelter
- River's Edge
- Hoshi Mamoru Inu & Zoku Hoshi Mamoru Inu
- Nijigahara Holograph
- Kare Kano
- Bambino!
- Emma
- Medaka Box
- Prunus Girl
- Homunculus
- Kongou Banchou
- Mushishi
- Neon Genesis Evangelion

Manga I want to read this year (only the ones I could think of right now):
- GTO
- Nausicaä
- Vinland Saga
- Yotsuba&!
- REAL
- Blade of the Immortal (more like picking it up again and finishing it)
- Kingdom
- Akame ga Kiru
- Binbougami ga!
- Ocha Nigosu.
- Hito Hitori Futari
- Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome
- Kabu no Isaki
- Boys on the Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom