• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotByCold

Banned
RagGoodByeRagT01.jpg

Nintaiyo

Plus we need Jiggy to do a final stat analysis with all the updates, posts, users, etc. before this thread dies in a month or so.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Nintaiyo said:
Plus we need Jiggy to do a final stat analysis with all the updates, posts, users, etc. before this thread dies in a month or so.

This is a must.

It'll be sad to see the Dojo thread go...

Jiggy

-Last stand? Today's the beginning of the 37th week of Dojo updates, as well as the 180th update day and the 217th update overall.

-Take your chance! F-Zero finally gets its second update, having not had one since July 2nd, 2007, and surpasses the Nintendo DS symbol for its number of updates. Kind of depressing, eh? >_>

-This hasn't shifted around since October 22nd, but our five least recently-updated franchises are now Yoshi (August 23rd), Kid Icarus (September 3rd), Animal Crossing (September 26th), Nintendo DS (October 22nd), and newcomer Fire Emblem (November 12th).

-Sonic's now the only revealed franchise without a stage update. Do we get Green Hill Zone for the nostalgia, or Angel Island Zone due to the music, or something else entirely? Stay tuned.

-Monday is now tied with Tuesday for second place in number of stage updates at five each.

-Pit ties with Fox for screenshots: 77 each. Samus was tied with Meta Knight at 63, but gets bumped up to 67. And Sheik jumps ahead of Squirtle and Ivysaur, moving from 8 to 12.

-4 of the last 4 PMs still in my inbox are about Colette. (And 4 of the last 6 PMs I received, period.) This makes me very happy. :D

Re: The Thread:

If the thread is going to be killed off, I request 3-4 days' notice so I can put together some kind of fairly epic closing post about the significance of the thread, of the game, of Sakurai, and--perhaps most of all--of the Dojo itself. My degree might be in creative writing, but on a whim I believe I can cover a serious real-world discussion as well. I'm already envisioning what I'll say, and it would not disappoint.

Also, I could put in links to some of the greatest quotables from thread participants. But even for me, there's too much content in this thread to run through by myself; if a bunch of people could sign up to read through given sets of ~2500-post chunks (so 50 pages for my 50-posts-per-page comrades, but 25 pages for you 100-posts-per-page weirdos) and pull out some of the greatest quotes (usea replying to Jonk, for example) or most memorable moments (SuperAngelo64's infamous bet), I think that would be awesome for a final summary.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jiggy37 said:
Also, I could put in links to some of the greatest quotables from thread participants. But even for me, there's too much content in this thread to run through by myself; if a bunch of people could sign up to read through given sets of ~2500-post chunks (so 50 pages for my 50-posts-per-page comrades, but 25 pages for you 100-posts-per-page weirdos) and pull out some of the greatest quotes (usea replying to Jonk, for example) or most memorable moments (SuperAngelo64's infamous bet), I think that would be awesome for a final summary.

I gotchou covered on 50 pages, Jiggy. Just tell me which ones to scan over.

woxel1

Killing this thread would be like killing a baby. Don't do it.
I'm only spoilering myself insofar as Sakurai will allow: please do not rob me of this one pleasure!

Dreavus

Despite spoilers, I'm sure a lot of us will stick around for the updates regardless... I know I am. I say keep this beast alive until the dojo is all finished!

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
I'm also here for your disposal to help you out with this epic ending project when the time comes!

turk128

I vote to let this thread stay around til it's due date that way we can have a proper send-off.

Man, I still can't believe how huge this thread is.

I'm avoiding the spoiler thread for now, and even though I know about the characters, the stages and much of SSE is still a pretty big question mark to me. And the Dojo updates are home to some awesome shots, like the Ness update on Friday. I'm all for keeping this open.

Jiggy

Alright, this is really short notice, so it's a bit unpolished, but here are some random preview excerpts of what bits of a closing post might look like if I were to make it:

I’ve worked a lot with statistics in this thread. You’ve all seen it; maybe some of you have wished you never had to see it, as you scrolled past each post each night. But there’s one final number I’d like to share with you, more important than any other[...]
Often gamers are inclined to criticize a game for missing this feature or that feature, but consider the reactions we’ve seen time and again to the Dojo’s updates: how many people have said “What else can they possibly add to Super Smash Bros. Brawl?” and meant it in sincerity?

How many of those people said it more than once?

[...]You could read about Standard Combos in less than thirty seconds, or with a little more time you could read about the Stage Builder. But whether major or minor, every facet of the game--every last facet--came about because of the passion and hard work of multiple programmers, or graphics artists, or composers, or even the archivists who located the art to be put into the game as stickers. And for that reason every last facet of the game well deserved its own spotlight.
Although it might seem otherwise at times, Super Smash Bros. Brawl wasn’t created with the intention that we’d all merely sit about with dropped jaws, gaping in endless awe at a level of content which Sakurai himself considers to be “overboard”; it was created, rather, to be played.
It’s easy to say that Smash Bros. is a love letter to gaming, and call that a joke. It’s easier still to say that Smash Bros. is a love letter to gaming, and call that the truth, for here is a single disc in which the full history of the industry is uplifted.

To be clear: when I say “history,” I’m not referring to the characters nor even the franchises. The characters have never been the driving force of the industry. Rather, it was our experiences with those characters, or in other words the gameplay, that brought each of us back and made us believers. And in Smash Bros., gameplay is celebrated.

Do I need to elaborate on how and why this is true? No. But I choose to explain further, because I must--because Sakurai and because the whole of the Smash Bros. development team chose to push themselves further every day they worked on this game.[...]

Edit: Last note before I go to sleep this time. If you'd rather I just make more of a joke post to close out, let me know. :p My inclination is to trend toward serious territory, if you can't tell, but I could probably shift in the other direction if that was what the thread called for. (No promises, though.)

Anyway, tomorrow we can start setting up who shuffles through which of the old posts, and then actually going through and compiling memorable quotes... Even if it turns out that the thread stays open and we don't need those quotes within the next couple of days, it'll be good to have them for the end.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm with keeping it open too, I've gone through and spoiled myself, but i still find it interesting each day to have a certain topic presented to us, and we can all sit around and discuss it's finer points.

Like some kind of classier oprahs book club.

also i'm up for scanning a section for good quotes too!

Capndrake

A friend noticed they replaced Wario-Man's sieg heil-esque image with a new one just like how they replaced Snake's realistic landmine with a more futuristic one:

wario_071128b-l.jpg

Mmmmmm, delicious F-Zero content.

I definitely vote to keep this thread open. I'd love to see it go all the way to the end of the Dojo's updates.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy37 said:
the significance of the thread, of the game, of Sakurai, and--perhaps most of all--of the Dojo itself. M

The Dojo and this thread have provided quite a journey for us over the last year, haven't they? :O

I spent a LOT of time with both o.o

Rotanibor

Capndrake said:
A friend noticed they replaced Wario-Man's sieg heil-esque image with a new one just like how they replaced Snake's realistic landmine with a more futuristic one:

wario_071128b-l.jpg

I'm going to need comparison here or else I don't know what you're talking about.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Rotanibor Eht said:
I'm going to need comparison here or else I don't know what you're talking about.

Not sure where one could find it, but originally he was standing there, legs together, hand up, all hitler like.

edit!

23564-550x-wario_071128b-l.jpg

this was the original image on teh smash site.

Every update just makes me more and more anxious to play this game. The level? Awesome. The game? Not in my hands. That is a sad, sad fact.

Neomoto

MrCheez said:
The Dojo and this thread have provided quite a journey for us over the last year, haven't they? :O

I've spend more time with Smash updates than some games entirely. :)lol)

Scribble

Goodbye my friend (I know your gone, you said you're gone,
but I can still feel you here)
It's not the end (you gotta keep it strong before the
pain turns into fear)

So glad we made it time will never never change it

No no no no
you know it's time to say goodbye
No no no no
and don't forget you can rely

Port Town Aero Dive stage looks freaking awesome just like the game it comes from! I can't wait to see this stage in motion. :D

I also vote to keep this thread open as well. There still seems to be many people who are following the updates.

Iam Canadian

I'll volunteer, Jigs. Just give me a set of 50 pages to go over.

MrCheez said:

No doubt of that. I spend more time in this thread than I really should have. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love this stage. I just started plying GX recently so it's cool to see this stage in Brawl. I'm glad they kept the giant R.O.B. too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll take some pages, 50 or 100.

Anyways, this thread should continue to the end...Why you ask?

Betting on the updates is now reasonable!

I mean exact updates, as most of us know exactly what is coming!

Also I want to find out who the eventual screenshot winner is.

Iam Canadian

Chris Michael said:
I never noticed before, but those look an awful lot like slimes.

Back in the heyday, that remark would have triggered a five page debate on whether the Slime would be a good candidate for Brawl.

*Sigh* Good times.

Iam Canadian said:
Back in the heyday, that remark would have triggered a five page debate on whether the Slime would be a good candidate for Brawl.

*Sigh* Good times.

It's not too early to start speculating on smash bros. 4

CTLance

Hopefully Sakurai does his part and provides us with a nice parting update when it's time to go.

Just in case I'm not around when the thread's finally being closed: It's been fun, guys. I may not have posted much, but I've been lurking and reading through huge parts of this megathread. This has been very enjoyable and interesting for the most part, which is pretty impressive considering its size, don't you all think?
Thanks to ant for opening it, to jiggy for his statistics, to the mods (esp. sporsk) for their patience and to everyone else for ... well, this. :D

See you around on some other thread.
Strange. Sounds like I'm leaving neogaf.
:lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Can't believe it's almost like an end of an era... it's been fun following this thread since its inception, I think I must've gone through every page of it :lol I'll still glance from time to time as long as people continue posting...

Meloche

Is it just me, or is this not a very visually appealing stage? I don't recall liking the track much in GX, and it's unfortunate that this was what they choose to use for Brawl. Green Plant... :(

Jiggy

Alrighty, looks like people are volunteering, so we might actually make progress. :D Let's just go in order or something...

Posts 10,001-12,500: Danthrax
Posts 12,501-15,000: scottnak
Posts 15,001-17,500: Syth_Blade22
Posts 17,501-20,000: Iam Canadian
Posts 20,001-22,500: Man God
Posts 22,501-25,000: RoboPlato
Posts 25,001-27,500: Keru_Shiri
Posts 27,501-30,000: crowphoenix
Posts 30,001-32,500: Cerebral Assassin
Posts 32,501-35,000: NickP786
Posts 35,001-37,500: Fenix

Posts 37,501-40,000: possibly reserved for Iam Canadian?

Posts 55,001-60,000: Jiggy37 (I know we're not there yet)

I started at 10,000 since, let's face it, the thread was really, really slow in the beginning. Anyway, now we just need people to fill in the other 27,500 posts. >_> If not, well, we'll probably pull enough decent stuff out anyway? I don't know. We'll see.

So yeah, let's get looking for interesting quotes and stuff for the thread's grand finale summary (whether that's a couple months away or a couple weeks). :D Take it slow if need be...

Oh, and if one of you finds out that somewhere in those posts there was some thread explosion over something like My Music or Subspace Emissary, maybe we could just get a link to the whole page so that people in the future could go back and relive the insanity in its full glory. :D

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
I don't know, because sp0rsk hasn't told us if he's decided to hold off on closing the thread. >_>
Well... hedid say if there was enough support to keep this open he'd leave it open... hopefully thisis enough to appease the big man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom