• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Whispy Woods in Dreamland 64 was the most pointless stage hazard ever.

Which is perfectly appropriate for poor old Whispy, the punching bag of the Kirby universe.

Jiggy

If we don't get a non-remake Kirby game soon I will fear. :(

Iam Canadian said:
Whispy Woods in Dreamland 64 was the most pointless stage hazard ever.

Which is perfectly appropriate for poor old Whispy, the punching bag of the Kirby universe.
Twin Woods were pretty decent.

turk128

Jiggy37 said:
Gourmet Race music isn't a spoiler since it's listed right there in the First Songs in My Music update.
Sweet! Don't need to unlock it then. I can't freakin wait to play with it in the BG.

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
Gourmet Race music isn't a spoiler since it's listed right there in the First Songs in My Music update.
Speaking of which, if I'm not mistaken Final Destination wasn't listed on that before.

Jiggy37 said:
Only at getting demolished by every power in the game before they could even start their real attack patterns.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:

Not with Parasol, they weren't.

Just stand right in front of them. The parasol prevents one of them from even attacking, and your parasol will block the other's apples and centipedes. You might have to duck once to avoid a puff of air, but otherwise they couldn't even touch you.

Good times. :D

Meloche

It seems appropriate to post a couple of these in celebration of our Final Destination update:

finaldestination.gif

birthday.png

I think the new backgrounds look really nice, although the square platform looks kind of odd next to the more circular one I'm used to seeing. I'm not sure how much I'll be playing online, but the fact that you can't use created stages there does put a little more pressure on the actual stages to be awesome. Which they look to be, for the most part.

Firestorm said:
Dreamland 64 where are you :(
:(

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
Wait, you guys use powers in Kirby games? Cheap! Broken! :eek: I can't believe your ethics.
I think running though the KSS arena with Suplex is enough to give me free license to use whatever powers I want.

Jiggy

Eating things and spitting them out is the only way to go, Dreamland 1 style.

I don't actually believe this. But it is true that if I had only one complaint about Kirby Super Star (and I do only have one complaint), it's that the powers were overpowered compared to the harder-to-use mechanic. It should have been like Kirby's Adventure where spitting stars does tons of damage but is harder to hit with, while the powers are easy to hit with but do little.

Edit: The Suplex power is by far the greatest. Every time it's not in a Kirby game, I'm sad. :( And every time it's not in a Kirby game while Throw is, I'm even more sad. :/ THROW. :/

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I don't actually believe this. But it is true that if I had only one complaint about Kirby Super Star (and I do only have one complaint), it's that the powers were overpowered compared to the harder-to-use mechanic. It should have been like Kirby's Adventure where spitting stars does tons of damage but is harder to hit with, while the powers are easy to hit with but do little.

This I can agree with, the powers were way overpowered. Then, it does fit the Kirby mold of "powerful enemies/bosses, but a protagonist that still outclasses them". I've done some no-power runs (at least, no powers whenever possible), and while they're fun, the abilities are just too entertaining to not exploit.

Jiggy37 said:
Edit: The Suplex power is by far the greatest. Every time it's not in a Kirby game, I'm sad. :( And every time it's not in a Kirby game while Throw is, I'm even more sad. :/ THROW. :/

Yo-Yo is actually my favourite power, and believe me, the Earthbound reference has (almost) nothing to do with it. Still, Suplex is a great power in its own right, and Throw is arguably the most boring and useless one of all. It's basically Kirby's default spitting, you can just angle it. It's actually a bit inferior to the standard inhaling and spitting in some ways, since you can't even walk around with your projectile.

At least with Suplex, you can curb-stomp people.

By the way, I'm going through the first few pages of my assigned posts to analyze. Not much interesting yet, though the reactions to the Munchlax update are hysterical.

Sciz

I need to play through Amazing Mirror again to see if that variation of Fighter is really as godly as I remember it being. If not, Yo-Yo is indeed the greatest of powers (which makes the fact that it still hasn't made a reappearance that much more painful).

Iam Canadian

Sciz said:
I need to play through Amazing Mirror again to see if that variation of Fighter is really as godly as I remember it being.

I'll save you the time. Yes, it was. Fighter was uber in Amazing Mirror (though I think it was outclassed by Smash, but Smash is special anyway).

Still, replay Amazing Mirror anyway. Because Amazing Mirror is as amazing as its name implies.

Sciz said:
If not, Yo-Yo is indeed the greatest of powers (which makes the fact that it still hasn't made a reappearance that much more painful).

Indeed. Well, hopefully the Super Star remake will spur a renaissance for Yo-Yo, much like how Nightmare in Dreamland resurrected Tornado.

Maybe it will also finally dispel the irksome way that some Kirby games have Fire and Burning as distinct powers, when they're clearly just useless variations on the same basic power.

Jiggy

I always had a soft spot for Super Star Beam and hated how badly they ruined it in literally every other Kirby game following. The running attack, the running jump attack, and the grab attack were all so great in Super Star. ;_; It wasn't my favorite, but I loved it nonetheless.

Innotech said:
Colette should be an AT.
Imagine the damage.
Colette should be a playable character. But an assist trophy would be awesome too. She could fall right on top of you, and just like Tales of Symphonia it could be the strongest single-hit attack in the the game.

Hey, wait a second. I just found the link between my two favorite
non-dating sim
game characters. :eek: They both do huge damage by falling on top of enemies' faces. :eek:

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:
I'll save you the time. Yes, it was. Fighter was uber in Amazing Mirror (though I think it was outclassed by Smash, but Smash is special anyway).

Indeed. Well, hopefully the Super Star remake will spur a renaissance for Yo-Yo, much like how Nightmare in Dreamland resurrected Tornado.
Smash is intentionally broken in nearly the same way Galaxia is and doesn't count.

And remakes don't really count as a resurrection. Though I'll gladly agree that hopefully KUSDX (which needs a better acronym) will finally kill off the lingering "one power, one move" laziness that's plagued the series for over a decade now.

edit: Never mind, just figured out what you were saying there. A Tornado-esque revival would be great.

Iam Canadian

Sciz said:
And remakes don't really count as a resurrection. Though I'll gladly agree that hopefully KUSDX (which needs a better acronym) will finally kill off the lingering "one power, one move" laziness that's plagued the series for over a decade now.

I was actually referring to the way that Tornado started to appear in basically every Kirby game that followed NiDL. By my reckoning, it appeared in Air Ride, Amazing Mirror, Canvas Curse, and Squeak Squad. Unless there are any I'm missing, that's every post NiDL Kirby game.

Edit: Since I typed this, you figured out what I was saying. Still, I'll leave this paragraph for posterity. And maybe a little prosperity.

I'd also like to see Plasma make a true comeback.

Jiggy37 said:
I always had a soft spot for Super Star Beam and hated how badly they ruined it in literally every other Kirby game following. The running attack, the running jump attack, and the grab attack were all so great in Super Star. ;_; It wasn't my favorite, but I loved it nonetheless.

KSS Beam has a special kind of nostalgia for me, since KSS was the first Kirby game I played and therefore KSS Beam was the first Kirby power I ever used.

The Kirby series simply could have not made a better first impression for me. :D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sorry guys, I'm late for the update and mildly drunk on vodka. And I have to keep hitting backspace to type correctly.

It's nice that they updated with Final Destination and we got lots of screenshots. I kind of wish we'd get something more interesting, though. I'm surprised we got two stages in a row, what the heck is up with that?

Iam Canadian

Danthrax said:
Sorry guys, I'm late for the update and mildly drunk on vodka. And I have to keep hitting backspace to type correctly.

It's nice that they updated with Final Destination and we got lots of screenshots. I kind of wish we'd get something more interesting, though. I'm surprised we got two stages in a row, what the heck is up with that?

The last guy who admitted to posting drunk in this thread was Mandrion.

DON'T END UP LIKE HIM.

It's odd that we got two consecutive stage updates, since I was sure that Port Town was paving the way for Captain Falcon. Still, I suppose it's good to get the arguably most boring stage update out of the way early.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:

DON'T END UP LIKE HIM.

It's odd that we got two consecutive stage updates, since I was sure that Port Town was paving the way for Captain Falcon. Still, I suppose it's good to get the arguably most boring stage update out of the way early.

He wasnt drunk. He was just an attention whore

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:
I'd also like to see Plasma make a true comeback.
Plasma is...eh. It's fairly powerful and fun to use for a while, but the novelty wears off quickly. If it were auto-charging and more than just a glorified Laser, it'd be a great power, but until then I'll take most other powers over it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Iam Canadian said:

DON'T END UP LIKE HIM.

Why, what happened to him?

BTW I'm not kidding, I've had considerable amounts of vodka.

I also just noticed that I have an assignment of like 2,500 posts, which I'll start right on tomorrow.

Iam Canadian

Sciz said:
Plasma is...eh. It's fairly powerful and fun to use for a while, but the novelty wears off quickly. If it were auto-charging and more than just a glorified Laser, it'd be a great power, but until then I'll take most other powers over it.

It was a pretty lethal attack, actually. It took like, two seconds to charge, and the fully charged version did sick damage to bosses and pretty much annihilated any normal enemy in your path.

Jiggy

Wednesday is the uber character day, with 9 out of 26. I call Luigi. Haters owned, ShockingAlberto redeemed, etc.

With that, I'm done for the night.

Sciz

But that's the only thing it does (ok, the static shield is nifty), and mashing buttons to power it up between shots is tiresome.

Never mind that you can blow away its damage output with something like a half-dozen other powers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
It was a pretty lethal attack, actually. It took like, two seconds to charge, and the fully charged version did sick damage to bosses and pretty much annihilated any normal enemy in your path.

brawl trophy

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AniHawk said:
20k posts just for a SSBB announcement thread? Wow.

And still no Mother characters.

6co8u41.jpg

The Halo 3 thread will beat this thread next week

Maybe I got lucky, as this is the first post in my section.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Someone also called
ROB
as a playable character from the Subspace Enemy update. Pretty impressive, though I don't know if that one will make it.

Someone else also flipped out about the same dude being an enemy in the game. Pretty decent minor flipout too!

Scribble

Iam Canadian said:

DON'T END UP LIKE HIM.

During the peak of the anti-Krystal era (At which I was convinced that Krystal was a shoo-in).
Dark times...

Sakurai has a lot to say about this supposedly simple stage. Oh Sakurai, would I be even reading Dojo updates to begin with if it weren't for you? Like I'm sure many do, when I think of Smash Bros. now it is synonymous with Masahiro Sakurai. Imagine how boring the Dojo would be without his comments.

Scalpel Knight said:
Sakurai has a lot to say about this supposedly simple stage. Oh Sakurai, would I be even reading Dojo updates to begin with if it weren't for you? Like I'm sure many do, when I think of Smash Bros. now it is synonymous with Masahiro Sakurai. Imagine how boring the Dojo would be without his comments.

Were the melee updates even close to be as awesome and hilarious as the Brawl ones?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I wonder what Sonic music we'll be getting for Brawl? I'm hoping for some cool Genesis and CD tunes. But it'll probably be stuff like Live & Learn, Sonic Heroes and His World :/

Sadly, we'll still not get Sonic Boom ;.;

pulga

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
I wonder what Sonic music we'll be getting for Brawl? I'm hoping for some cool Genesis and CD tunes. But it'll probably be stuff like Live & Learn, Sonic Heroes and His World :/

One of those non spoilers people, huh?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
grandjedi6 said:

Well, my friend.

Well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom