• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

Jiggy37 said:
Oh, and if one of you finds out that somewhere in those posts there was some thread explosion over something like My Music or Subspace Emissary, maybe we could just get a link to the whole page so that people in the future could go back and relive the insanity in its full glory. :D
Page 548 is when Sonic is confirmed by IGN at the Nintendo Conference and later that night (and a few pages later) Sonic shows up on the Dojo.

Biggest explosion in recent gaming memories for me. :lol :D

Jiggy37 said:
I don't know, because sp0rsk hasn't told us if he's decided to hold off on closing the thread. >_>

he should just lock it already, infact he should cut this thread off back when Sonic was announced because that was maybe the high point of this thread, that or online play. Let the memories stay golden.

Jiggy

Okay, so far I've gone through posts 55,001 to 56,250, and these are the quotes I've pulled up:

Post 55300 – One of KevinCow’s dozens of meltdowns--and among the best of them!--about turning off items in Smash Bros.

Post 55305 – Firestorm’s reply to KevinCow. “Stop taking the term casual as an insult? If I wanted to insult you I'd have called you an idiot. You are an idiot.”

Post 55331 – SuperAngelo64’s super summary of what “percentage” of the thread had been taken up by arguing over casual vs. hardcore Smash play.

Post 55349 – Semantic Continuum asks for what this post--as in the one you’re reading, not the one linked to--now delivers.

Post 55367 and Post 55368 – sp0rsk, Crushed, and Man God musing over potato chips and tournament rules.

Post 55555 – SPOILER IN SPOILER TAG WARNING, comes from a video "leak" that was on Nintendo's website. Otherwise, post 55555, baby!

Post 55893 – Stay away from Zelda/Lucas fanfiction.

Post 56101 – ShockingAlberto interprets Mushroomy Kingdom.

Post 56223 – TreIII on why the Ice Climbers are the sickest characters in the Nintendo universe.
Everyone, let me know if you think some of these (even mine) are too irrelevant and/or non-amusing to be worth mentioning; that's the only reason I'm giving a link-collection-in-progress rather than just pressing forward. I don't want the final link list to be too stupidly enormous. >_>

...But maybe it should be?

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
Everyone, let me know if you think some of these (even mine) are too irrelevant and/or non-amusing to be worth mentioning; that's the only reason I'm giving a link-collection-in-progress rather than just pressing forward. I don't want the final link list to be too stupidly enormous. >_>

...But maybe it should be?
"Stupidly enormous" is the definition of this thread.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I started scanning over my section but I started at post 21501 instead of 22501. I'll still go to 2500 though. I'm guessing the Knee again tonight, just for fun.

Penguin

Well if this is staying open do we still get to predict stuff?

Want to say Green Hill Zone as I have for quite some time.

If not that, another hidden gem. Come on Luigi.

Jiggy

Post 55555 was the runner-up for the one I was most likely to cut out. :lol I don't know, in some sense I'm not necessarily trying to pull out the best stuff, but at least some of the most representative. So an individual KevinCow meltdown isn't great on its own, but it's a pretty good summary of the thread.

Anyway, how about these? These are the preliminary stages, so it could be that a ton of them aren't worth covering, but I'd feel kind of sad if I went through 3,050 posts (which I have so far) and the only things worth mentioning were post 55555, the Gourmet Race video, Sakurai Does What Nintendon't, and sp0rsk slapping Opoona pictures all over the place. >_> Better to have an overabundance now and cut down to less later, I think.

I kind of want to see everybody else's quotes when they're done so I can get a sense of what's really memorable, because my selection's been pretty dry so far.

Page 1138 – Or page 569 for some of you. Relive the reactions to the Masterpieces update!

Post 57004 – Though not in so many words, the Sakurai Does What Nintendon't movement begins.
Post 57109 – Continuation of the Sakurai Does What Nintendon't movement: now with logo! It would become a rallying cry.

Post 57089 – Neomoto pegs the significance of Smash Bros. Brawl and its place in gaming history.

Post 57392 – And this one much more often than most, friend.

Post 57413 – May we never forget! PUN, PUN, FACO PUN! (YouTube link for you all not on NicoVideo.)

Post 57528 – After having compiled statistics to seek numerical validation of life’s meaning, Jiggy brings the link.

The first casualty of the wait for Brawl, as noticed shortly by Fenix in Post 57629 and Iam Canadian in post 57669: Jiggy begins losing sanity, first losing sight of gender and then conversing with a demon posing as a conscience and finally speaking to the Colette Avatar.

The second casualty of the wait, and sp0rsk was only waiting for the Japanese game! Nonetheless, he becomes compelled to post ASCII art of Opoona all over the thread, absolutely everywhere.
But maybe I'm just biased in my own favor. :lol

Anyway, predicting Jigglypuff. Come on Jigglypuff.

MisterHero

You know who has a time machine? Matt Groening. GAF has nothing on this epic visionary. Which can now be re-created in Brawl.

Sonic_TAKEIT.jpg

JUUUUUUST TAKE IT
TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT

TAKE IT

There’s always one of these, huh? This is the simplest stage.

stage25_080205a-l.jpg

It’s completely flat—no surprises here!

As for the terrain, there’s just a flat platform and nothing else. There’s not much to talk about either, so let’s just look at the flow of the lovely scenery.

stage25_080205b-l.jpg

A galaxy drifts lazily by...

stage25_080205c-l.jpg

You start to enter a wormhole-like thingy...

stage25_080205d-l.jpg

Then the wormhole disappears and suddenly...

stage25_080205e-l.jpg

...There’s a beautiful starry sky.

stage25_080205f-l.jpg

Just as you think it’s getting dark, there’s a single glint of light.

stage25_080205g-l.jpg

Looks like the interstellar clouds start to swirl about.

stage25_080205h-l.jpg

Then, a lovely ocean view!

stage25_080205i-l.jpg

Actually, this place is kind of a continuation of the opening sequence...

stage25_080205j-l.jpg

Gradually everything starts to tilt...

stage25_080205k-l.jpg

...It’s all upside-down, and keeps on turning...

stage25_080205l-l.jpg

...And then somehow it returns to the beginning.

In Final Destination, the characters, who have been battling in more imaginary worlds, come closest to a real-world setting.

That’s the reason why you feel like you begin far away and, bit by bit, arrive at a realistic world.

The boss Master Hand can also be found on this level.

Jiggy

As spectacuperiferous as the scenery is, all the (spoiler) Youtube videos I've been watching have kind of scared me in that the stage seems kind of dark... Maybe it's just people's recordings, though, or their brightness settings are too low. Guess I'll worry when I get the game. >_>

Edit: Wow. Kirby, Samus, King Dedede, and Pit are going to have their screenshot counts spike because of this one. :lol +11 each.

Sciz

For being a completely flat and featureless stage, this is one of the best looking ones in the game.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: A wormhole-like thingy

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Just a tiny bit late for the update. >_> Curse you, part-time job!

At any rate, Final Destination. Yeah.

I'll start going through my assigned posts and seeing what awesome quotes I can dig up.

pulga

Banned
If the whole game hadn't been leaked by now, Smashboards would be having a collective circle jerk.

Beautiful scenery, though.

Hey Sp0rsk, if you are here, what would you score SSBB out of 10? Now that you've had some time to play with it. You don't have to spoil it with a review....here anyway, but can you at least give me a score since I respect your opinion?

I just noticed yesterday that when the stage was over the ocean it was doing a barrell roll. once I started noticing it, it started making me dizzy because I was following it and not the players.

It's an awesome version of the original still

MisterHero

Dreamland 64 was cut because Dedede asked for overtime because he also appeared as a background object and Sakurai said no.

=(

Dreavus

I just realized Kirby managed to copy Pit's power in that last screen...

stage25_080205l-l.jpg

He's sporting the laurel leaf crown and tiny angel wings.... awesome!

Jiggy

The second stage update in two days, the sixth stage update on a Tuesday (now the second-place day), and the 25th stage update since the Dojo's inception--Final Destination enters the scene!

Kirby, Pit, Samus, and King Dedede get 11 screenshots each. What does this mean for them? Let's break it down.

Kirby moves from 133 to 144. This means little other than that his second-place position ahead of Wario's 100 is solidified.

Pit moves from 77 to 88, which not only breaks him away from a tie with Fox but also surpasses Link's 83. Yes, Link. Make way for the new bishounen Nintendo character?

Samus moves from 67 to 78, skipping past Yoshi's 73 and just barely scraping by fellow space warrior Fox with his 77. She also would have barely passed Pit if he hadn't also jumped with this update.

King Dedede has the largest proportionate gain, going from 52 to 63. In the process, he passes Donkey Kong's 56, Ike's 57, the 58 of the full Pokemon Trainer combo with each of the four characters counted individually, Diddy Kong's 60, and Pikachu's 61, as well as tying fellow Kirby series veteran Meta Knight.

Jiggy

In fairness, I was always curious why they had both N64 Dreamland and Battlefield. If Dreamland was to go, I would be saddened (because it's pretty much a tradition by now!) but not entirely surprised.

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
In fairness, I was always curious why they had both N64 Dreamland and Battlefield. If Dreamland was to go, I would be saddened (because it's pretty much a tradition by now!) but not entirely surprised.

Dreamland 64's platform placement was more spread out. It was also not completely rigged for Marth.

Sharp said:

Can't play it online =(

HK-47 said:
You cant remake what made Dreamland 64 awesome...the music and Whispy Wood dont exist in stage creator

The new
Gourmet Race Remix
is the most orgasmic track in the game, so I'm okay with that. You're right that the music was part of it. The platform were my biggest thing about the stage though. You just had so much room to maneuver, it was great! It was perfect except for the fact that the sides were too far and the ceiling too high.

AMUSIX

now that most of the stuff is known...they should get creative with the screenshots....
Kirby should have been wearing a different hat in each shot :)

Jiggy

Gourmet Race music isn't a spoiler since it's listed right there in the First Songs in My Music update.

That said, I get the feeling I'm the only person who doesn't particularly like it. Or at least the only person on GAF. I was going through the Overclocked Remix thread on SSBB and someone said they basically thought that it wasn't creative in any way other than being all (paraphrasing here) "lol metal Kirby," which are also my thoughts. Meta Knight's Revenge is way better, and so is the Gourmet Race from Melee. >_>

Firestorm said:
Dreamland 64's platform placement was more spread out.
Ah, that's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom