• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

ElRenoRaven

Last reply for the night before I conk out;

Childish? Sorry if thats how it came off. It was meant a response to people somehow assuming they know our game balance far better than we do and that we're obviously making a huge mistake. Both Vince in a tweet, and myself in this thread, have said that we think people should just try it and form their opinions. If it doesn't match up with something you like? Ignore it and move on! Thats totally fine, and expected, since we don't think we're making some magical game from heaven than will appeal to everyone.

Perhaps its not the playercount in games like Halo that you don't like, but the game itself? Would adding more players magically have made Halo a game you love? I'm going to wager it wouldn't, since they do have some "larger" game types. The point is that adding more players to a finely designed game doesn't instantly make it better. Assuming it does is what I'd like to call "armchair game design". If that is offensive or childish to you I apologize, but its not meant to belittle anyone or their liking of large player count games.

Oh, and it wasn't playtesters who told us to do 6v6. It was those guys we have on staff called game designers, after playing thousands of hours with the entire company and taking feedback from everyone. We're all gamers here, and all our opinions are heard and used. Stuff like this isn't unilateral decisions from on high - we all want to be proud of the game we ship and enjoy playing it ourselves.

I know it's long past and probably won't be seen but thanks for getting in here and actually interacting with folks here. It's things like that which really make some developers stand out from others. It helps show the passion you guys have for what you do and that kind of passion will show through in your game.

I'm disappointed. I haves lot of fun playing on 16v16 or 12v12 TF2 servers so it's disappointing moving to a game with such a low player counter. Maybe if I have 5 friends who want to play it I'll get it so but so far my hype for Titanfall is pretty much killed.

Kssio_Aug

TITANFALL GIF TIME! GET HYPE

9595518904_312f8a1b64_o.gif

With all due respect, but for real... this gif its probably not the real experience while gaming with 6x6.

Just at this build we could see 5 players in a total of 12? (1 controlling, 1 in front of him wallrunning, 1 of the red team that shot the one at the other side of the room, 1 that got shot, 1 at the window).

We have 30 page of people arguing whether or not the decision of 6v6 is good for the game. The energy being wasted here is amazing, and everyone should just follow vince's suggestion, wait and play the game. The vids and impressions of the game from the people who actually PLAYED it suggests that it's a mighty fun game, and it should be one of the definitive games of the beginning of the generation.

Please guys. stop it =(

I never get comments like this. Isn't this exactly what this forum is for? Why are you worried about "wasted energy"? Everyone posting itt thread would probably just have wasted that energy some other way anyway :p

We have 30 page of people arguing whether or not the decision of 6v6 is good for the game. The energy being wasted here is amazing, and everyone should just follow vince's suggestion, wait and play the game. The vids and impressions of the game from the people who actually PLAYED it suggests that it's a mighty fun game, and it should be one of the definitive games of the beginning of the generation.

Please guys. stop it =(

Buy first, think later
the model consumer

JayFalcon

Banned
I'm glad campers like JayFalcon wouldn't be able to play this game.

Unfortunately for you I'm a run and gunner with lightning reflexes , I'm a good sniper don't get me wrong but I don't bother with it because it bores me.I would rather be dropshotting your crappy ass and making you throw down your pad in rage.

Well I respect DKo5 for coming by, and I'll probably try some sort of demo if it is available. But for me Titanfall went from quietly optimistic to nothing today.

Synth

With all due respect, but for real... this gif its probably not the real experience while gaming with 6x6.

Just at this build we could see 5 players in a total of 12? (1 controlling, 1 in front of him wallrunning, 1 of the red team that shot the one at the other side of the room, 1 that got shot, 1 at the window).

Hasn't it always been 6v6 though?

There is probably some sort of objective funnelling people to a specific area here. That or some of these are AI units. Either way, it's unlikely that the gif is misrepresentative of the game if it has always had the same playercount.

Chabbs0

Banned
I played Titanfall in September last year and it was incredibly fun. I think our match was a bit more than 6v6 but to be honest I couldn't really tell because I couldn't tell the difference between the real players and the AI opponents, it's all so frantic that is doesn't matter.

The number of bots was my biggest complaint from playing it at PAX. I remember mowing bots down like crazy, but don't really recall any moments against other actual humans. We'll see how that pans out.

What the fuck is the point of getting upset with a design decision like this for a game not yet released? Until people play it, there's no way of knowing if the player count is good or bad for the game. Every game is different; Call of Duty would be horrid with 64 players because that style of game doesn't really scale upwards well. Likewise, Battlefield with a small player count can fucking blow.

Why not give Respawn the benefit of the doubt for now? I'm all for calling a shit game what it is, but I generally like to wait until it's released first.

Kssio_Aug

Hasn't it always been 6v6 though?

There is probably some sort of objective funnelling people to a specific area here. That or some of these are AI units. Either way, it's unlikely that the gif is misrepresentative of the game if it has always had the same playercount.

They said they tested the experience with different number of players count. Hope you're right then, because the game was looking fun to play.

Interfectum

What the fuck is the point of getting upset with a design decision like this for a game not yet released? Until people play it, there's no way of knowing if the player count is good or bad for the game. Every game is different; Call of Duty would be horrid with 64 players because that style of game doesn't really scale upwards well. Likewise, Battlefield with a small player count can fucking blow.

Why not give Respawn the benefit of the doubt for now? I'm all for calling a shit game what it is, but I generally like to wait until it's released first.

Console wars brah. The thread is over 30 pages for a reason.

nynt9

Was it ever confirmed as 1080p? I think rumor was 720p or 900p at best?

When asked whether the game would be 1080p, the devs said they prioritize 60fps - make of that what you will. Also thuway said the game was having issues at even 720p on the console but he's banned so take that with a huuuge grain of salt.

Can someone squash something for me on here. My room mate thinks this game will sell 12 Million or more in it's life cycle. Meaning from release to end of the fiscal year.

Is he wrong are am I being to reserved in saying I think the game will do Gears of War numbers?

I think it will sell anywhere from 4-6 Million depending on how hot the 360 version is.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10+.

mclem

They aren't Bots in the truest sense though as they can't do what a human player can do, they aren't a replacement for human players. From what I understand they can't enter the Titans for starters, I presume they didn't want human players being limited to what they can do by the availability of Titans and thus becoming constant cannon fodder.

I'm envisioning them like the generic army mooks in a Dynasty Warrior game, at least in terms of their impact on the 'real players'.

LuchaShaq

Banned
6v6 basically guarantees the majority of any natches I play will be against pre made teams vs me and other randoms. Fuck tgat , could not be less interested in this pile of hype.

Madness

I'm disappointed. I haves lot of fun playing on 16v16 or 12v12 TF2 servers so it's disappointing moving to a game with such a low player counter. Maybe if I have 5 friends who want to play it I'll get it so but so far my hype for Titanfall is pretty much killed.

But this game isn't TF2, it's TitanFall, you can't expect because you enjoy something in another game, every other game HAS to be like it. Why has the hype been killed when you haven't played the game? What exactly is it about 16vs16 and 12vs12 that you love that will be missing from 6vs6?

BibiMaghoo

Funny thing is, if they had just said ''24 bodies on screen'' no one would have cared lol. I think 6 sounds low, only because of the 'epic proportions' expectation that has come from seeing giant robots smash each other. 6 per side is not bad, it is just unexpected.

But 6 isn't really accurate either, as it's 12 enemies in every game. That is good.

x-Lundz-x

They haven't said.

Well you sounded pretty confident there are going to be drastically different games. I'll go out on a limb here and say the games will be identical, barring enhanced visuals on the Xbox One.

The core game play experience, you know the experience everyone is raving about that makes it so much fun, is going to be the same regardless of platform.

Which is exactly while I'll be playing this on the 360, if MS wanted a system seller they should have payed for it to be exclusive to Xbox One platform.

Some of these players are AI. There will be more than 12 soldiers on the map because the AI are in addition to the human players.

mijuku

Banned
Unfortunately for you I'm a run and gunner with lightning reflexes , I'm a good sniper don't get me wrong but I don't bother with it because it bores me.I would rather be dropshotting your crappy ass and making you throw down your pad in rage.

Let me know when your mother lets you play and I'll 1v1 you.

Pillville

Well you sounded pretty confident there are going to be drastically different games. I'll go out on a limb here and say the games will be identical, barring enhanced visuals on the Xbox One.

The core game play experience, you know the experience everyone is raving about that makes it so much fun, is going to be the same regardless of platform.

Which is exactly while I'll be playing this on the 360, if MS wanted a system seller they should have payed for it to be exclusive to Xbox One platform.

For some reason, I really don't see the 360 version ever coming out. Or at least they will delay it. Just a gut feeling.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
To me a game like Titanfall has more in common with something like Unreal Tournament on paper than it does something like Counter-Strike, where a slower pace facilitates more careful and calculated play.

That is a good call, I was definitely expecting something at least with the option to go > than 6 v 6.

Papacheeks

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10+.

That to me is way too high for an unproven IP. Regardless of positive hype and buzz.

That's why I say 5-6 Million. Maybe later down the road if it get's bundled, and they do a GOTY edition with all DLC.

10+ to me is stretching it a bit too thin.

For some reason, I really don't see the 360 version ever coming out. Or at least they will delay it. Just a gut feeling.
It will definitely come out. But the way Respawn talks about it, or more specifically, don't talk about it, makes me pretty sure it will be a fundamentally inferior experience in more ways than just lesser graphics. I could be wrong though. We'll see.

Raide

I kinda have that feeling as well. Since the 360 version is from another team, I can see it getting delayed a month or two, just to give the Xbox One and PC breathing space. Hell, I even think the PC version will get delayed too.

Papacheeks

Banned
Anybody know the actual studio developing the xbox 360 version of titanfall?

What their track record is, what they made?

I know Titanfall was originally a 360 game but shifted to xbox one.

Meier

I gotta say this is an unfortunate choice of words. If I try the game and don't like it, I'll be out of $60 for no benefit. Not exactly a winning combination.

Not if you use Gamefly. Although since I think I remember this game being online only, I wouldn't be surprised if they included an online pass.. so maybe you're out $10.

Riky

$MSFT
I kinda have that feeling as well. Since the 360 version is from another team, I can see it getting delayed a month or two, just to give the Xbox One and PC breathing space. Hell, I even think the PC version will get delayed too.

I'm thinking the Beta will be Xbox One only?

JayFalcon

Banned
Are you 13?

Let me know when your mother lets you play and I'll 1v1 you.

Oh wow I knew you were those type of guys exactly the same sort of thing I get in my messeges after I have just wiped the floor with bitter people like you two.I can't help how good I am and I never ever cheat.And the thing is if I do have a bad game at whatever I am playing at the time I accept it and do better next time.What I don't do is go a forums moaning and bitching like a massive baby.

Titanfall is gonna be no different for people like you , you will still get beat and you will still find someway to make out its' not fair.

gaming_noob

Oh wow I knew you were those type of guys exactly the same sort of thing I get in my messeges after I have just wiped the floor with bitter people like you two.I can't help how good I am and I never ever cheat.And the thing is if I do have a bad game at whatever I am playing at the time I accept it and do better next time.What I don't do is go a forums moaning and bitching like a massive baby.

Titanfall is gonna be no different for people like you , you will still get beat and you will still find someway to make out its' not fair.

Do you have a chip on your shoulder or something? No one cares if you're better than anyone in Call of Duty.

Top Bottom