• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
Think the chances of P5 being turn based are quite high. Far too many JRPGs are afraid to go down that route these days.

The whole gambit system in FFXII for exmaple turned that game into a fucking boring slog, like botting in an MMO.

Then there was XIII's SWITCH STANCE battle system. ugh

cj_iwakura

Which tracks specifically are changed significantly? Most of the ones I've heard are just updated versions, like you say.

Parabellum comes to mind. Live(ish?) saxophone instead of synth. Or some track like that.

They hue really close to the originals for the most part. Why screw with perfection? (Or a 60+ track OST for that matter)

Gazoinks

Man, I really hope Persona stays turn-based. I love turn-based combat, and it's getting rarer and rarer these days. Doesn't seem like they're much precedent for them not to be, though, aside from that P3 prototype.

Setsu00

You've potentially blown my mind. How do you know it's Soejima?

There's a few things that give away that it's a Soejima piece:
1. The eyes. Sogabe's Naoto has consistently thinner eyelashes. In general, Sogabe draws Naoto's eyes a lot "edgier" (for the lack of a better word) than Soejima. I'm sure you'd notice that if you took a look at the monochrome illustrations Sogabe did within the novel. Also, Naoto has Soejima's signature "inner ring" within her eyes. Sogabe's illustrations lack it.
2. The outlines. Soejima's lines are thicker than Sogabe's, which is most likely a result of relying too much on lineart tool of SAI. Soejima typically has a few inconsistencies in his artwork that give his artwork a more hand-drawn look opposed to Sogabe's precision.
3. The smoke on Touko's cigarette. That's typical for Soejima: He draws smoke by scribbling edgy lines and than blends those lines with the environment. You can also see this on the covers for P3 (JP ver.) and P3P and on the concept art for Asterius. To be fair, I haven't seen Sogabe draw smoke yet, but my impression is that this is Soejima-specific.
4. The shading. If you look closer on Sousei's back, you'll see that the shadows "bleed" onto the base color. The same thing can be observed on the Tsuge's jacket. This is something that Soejima seemingly picked up in recent years since he uses the same technique on the cover art for P4G and P4A.

Other than that, the novel credits Soejima as "image illustrator" and Sogabe as "story illustrator". Considering the fact that the picture is part of a poster that is included with book and is not actually part of the story, it's safe to say that Soejima illustrated this piece.
The weird coloring you mentioned seems to stem from Sousei who towers over Naoto that creates weird shadows on Naoto's head. Or something.

I think P5 is more likely to be turn based but I could definitely see them going in a different yet familiar direction. Something that looks somewhat similar to those P3 prototype videos wouldn't surprise me at all. 0 chance of them turning it into a tales games though.

Caladrius

I staunchly believe Persona will remain turn based until proven otherwise.

Speaking of music, haven't listened to Blind Guardian since they released that really mediocre A Twist in the Myth album.
At the Edge of Time, at least to me, is a lot better than Twist in the Myth. Curse My Name is one of my favorite songs, from them.

I also vouch for Edge of Time being much better than ATitM. The musical variety isn't as rich as it was with A Night at the Opera but the sound is much more refined.

Dantis

There's a few things that give away that it's a Soejima piece:
1. The eyes. Sogabe's Naoto has consistently thinner eyelashes. In general, Sogabe draws Naoto's eyes a lot "edgier" (for the lack of a better word) than Soejima. I'm sure you'd notice that if you took a look at the monochrome illustrations Sogabe did within the novel. Also, Naoto has Soejima's signature "inner ring" within her eyes. Sogabe's illustrations lack it.
2. The outlines. Soejima's lines are thicker than Sogabe's, which is most likely a result of relying too much on lineart tool of SAI. Soejima typically has a few inconsistencies in his artwork that give his artwork a more hand-drawn look opposed to Sogabe's precision.
3. The smoke on Touko's cigarette. That's typical for Soejima: He draws smoke by scribbling edgy lines and than blends those lines with the environment. You can also see this on the covers for P3 (JP ver.) and P3P and on the concept art for Asterius. To be fair, I haven't seen Sogabe draw smoke yet, but my impression is that this is Soejima-specific.
4. The shading. If you look closer on Sousei's back, you'll see that the shadows "bleed" onto the base color. The same thing can be observed on the Tsuge's jacket. This is something that Soejima seemingly picked up in recent years since he uses the same technique on the cover art for P4G and P4A.

Other than that, the novel credits Soejima as "image illustrator" and Sogabe as "story illustrator". Considering the fact that the picture is part of a poster that is included with book and is not actually part of the story, it's safe to say that Soejima illustrated this piece.
The weird coloring you mentioned seems to stem from Sousei who towers over Naoto that creates weird shadows on Naoto's head. Or something.
I think you're probably right, good eye!

I'd been told it was a Sogabe piece, and I guess I'd just never questioned it. A few things seem different to how Soejima normally draws, but maybe he was just changing things up, or maybe he was working to a tight schedule. Who knows?

I staunchly believe Persona will remain turn based until proven otherwise.
I also vouch for Edge of Time being much better than ATitM. The musical variety isn't as rich as it was with A Night at the Opera but the sound is much more refined.

I liked A Twist In The Myth. :(

Otherland is the song that got me into Blind Guardian.

Also, if you like Blind Guardian, you should listen to Persuader. They're like a really angry Blind Guardian. The singer sounds sooo much like Hansi that it's insane.

Caladrius

I liked A Twist In The Myth. :(

Otherland is the song that got me into Blind Guardian.

Also, if you like Blind Guardian, you should listen to Persuader. They're like a really angry Blind Guardian. The singer sounds sooo much like Hansi that it's insane.

I thought ATitM was decent, but decent isn't really up to par with the rest of their discography.

And I'll check Persuader out. I've been looking for harsher power metal.

Setsu00

I'd been told it was a Sogabe piece, and I guess I'd just never questioned it. A few things seem different to how Soejima normally draws, but maybe he was just changing things up, or maybe he was working to a tight schedule. Who knows?

That's what I assume as well. Or a feeling of burnout due to an over exposure of P4?

Dantis

That's what I assume as well. Or a feeling of burnout due to an over exposure of P4?

Probably. It's insane that he's still the primary illustrator on the whole series. I can't think of any other game like it (With this number of illustrations).

I thought ATitM is decent, but decent isn't really up to par with the rest of their discography.

And I'll check Persuader out. I've been looking for harsher power metal.

They're real good. Just prepare for mega cheese lyrics. I'm reasonably sure they're self aware though, the band seems super laid back and whatnot.

Nachos

I played the demo a long time ago but I'll try to remember. Combat seemed pretty basic, the first person dungeon crawling isn't my preferred way of exploration. I also really dislike the way the characters look. From what I remember the map drawing mechanic seemed really neat but also like it would take a lot more time than I was willing to invest.

To be fair, a lot of EO's appeal is placed more heavily in the exploration during the part the demo covers. Had you been allowed to explore the floor right after the demo ends, you likely would've gained enough skills to see the appeal of the combat. Etrian's a different beast, though. In Persona you can just wail on the enemy, occasionally throwing out a heal or debuff and get by; it's flashy, but there's not much to it beyond hitting weaknesses. I'd actually call Persona a lot more basic on a moment to moment basis.

Etrian is a lot more focused around team building, since so many skills each character has can directly affect and feed into those of the other characters, beyond just healing and raising stats.

Actually by putting the Persona name on it they're trying to, and probably going to, reach a different audience. That name carries its own expectations.
And I'd say that they've already satisfied them by making a fanservice game. Like Inorigo said, this is going to be a collaboration between different teams within Atlus. They're using the Persona name as a Trojan horse to expose fans of that series to fans of other ones. I wouldn't be surprised if it was called Persona Odyssey over hear (since "Q" wouldn't have the same meaning to English speakers), which would help reflect the nature of the game. Persona 5 will come later, so let this game be its own thing.

Tabby

I think P5 is more likely to be turn based but I could definitely see them going in a different yet familiar direction. Something that looks somewhat similar to those P3 prototype videos wouldn't surprise me at all. 0 chance of them turning it into a tales games though.

Probably turn based with a twist. Either way I don't see them sticking to the same battle system.

pan-hime

also someone translated Mitsuru's character video.
tumblr_inline_mz6mbqX5MV1qk2s8g.png

I have 3 questions actually...

The 1st is, since I have not played Arena, does playing Persona 4 Golden or fully enjoying it storywise REQUIRE you to play Arena? Do you lose anything if you don't play Arena? Is Arena truly canon? Like is it the definitive continuation of Persona 4's story? Or can I view it as simply "another world" similar to FEA's many alternate world possibilities?

The 2nd is regarding Persona Q... so do we know when Persona Q comes into the timeline? I heard its during the graduation of Yasogami high? I... don't know how it fits together. What about Persona Dancing? I know that is definitely AFTER Golden's epilogue... and "Yu" is still wearing that uniform... so they are still in high school. Not in University. Perhaps final year of high school before entrance exams?

The 3rd question is... is P3 and P4 protagonist actually named and personalized in PQ and PDancing? Are they actually named "Makoto" and "Yu" instead of players choosing their own names?

Gazoinks

The 1st is, since I have not played Arena, does playing Persona 4 Golden or fully enjoying it storywise REQUIRE you to play Arena? Do you lose anything if you don't play Arena? Is Arena truly canon? Like is it the definitive continuation of Persona 4's story? Or can I view it as simply "another world" similar to FEA's many alternate world possibilities?

The 2nd is regarding Persona Q... so do we know when Persona Q comes into the timeline? I heard its during the graduation of Yasogami high? I... don't know how it fits together. What about Persona Dancing? I know that is definitely AFTER Golden's epilogue... and "Yu" is still wearing that uniform... so they are still in high school. Not in University. Perhaps final year of high school before entrance exams?

The 3rd question is... is P3 and P4 protagonist actually named and personalized in PQ and PDancing? Are they actually named "Makoto" and "Yu" instead of players choosing their own names?

1. No. The only reference to Arena in P4G is "Hey it sure was crazy when that thing happened" in the epilogue.
2. Time shenanigans. Both parties are sucked out of the middles of their stories and brought into the game, presumably amnesia results at the end. Dancing is... a thing.
3. Apparently Makoto was named Minato in one of the PQ PVs, weirdly. Yu is referred to as Hero in the P4D trailer.

FluxWaveZ

1. P4G has no reference to P4A except for a single line of dialogue in its epilogue. The Arena series has been explicitly stated as the canon sequel to Persona 4 by the writers.

2. Persona Q takes place during Persona 3 and Persona 4. Story premise here. It doesn't fit together unless memory loss is involved at the end of the game. P4D story premise is all we know about it. They'd still be in high school by that time.

3. We don't know. In a trailer, the Persona 3 main character was apparently named "Minato Arisato", but on the official website they are referred to as the P3 Hero and the P4 Hero.

Two random things about P4A2:

1. Some have started talking about how Play-Asia has P4A2 listed for a July 2014 release and how they've marked it region locked. The date sounds about right: PQ in early June, P4A2 in late July/early August, P4D in late September/early October and Persona 5 in late November/early December. It's still just a placeholder, though. I'd rather P4A2 doesn't become the second game ever to be region locked for the PS3 next to its predecessor, but I feel like the same scenario might happen once again if the game is released close enough between Japan and NA.

2. I had never seen Shadow Yukari's vs. face before now (probably because no one uses her). One of the giddiest Shadows, for sure:
I3xUcdwm.jpg

So Chie desperately wants to eat Mitsuru?
2z7exox.png

Probably turn based with a twist. Either way I don't see them sticking to the same battle system.
I think it'll be more dynamic, or at least look more dynamic. Right now the battles are kinda split into different scenes.

-Neutral stance
-Attack animations
-damage animations
-enemy attack animations
-enemy damage animations.
I see them ditching the transitions and killing the stupid 5 seconds pose animations when summoning a persona and doing an attack. The animations will be very fluid and battles will be very fast. Seamless transitions into battles instead of being transported into a new area for combat is also something that I expect.

What is up with the Chie hate? Its giving me an ulcer..
over rated piece of shit character, worst waifu in the game(not including fodder like Ayane and Ai) ect.

kewlmyc

Wow, that doesn't sound like her at all

I hope they don't completely flanderize her

Flanderize? Had to Google what that meant.

Anyways, she seems the same to me. Teddie probably did something perverted and she went full execution-mode like in the hot springs. She's always had low tolerance for "perverts".

over rated piece of shit character, worst waifu in the game(no including fodder like Ayane and Ai) ect.

More like: Relatable, fun, and quirky (without being weird.) with an incredibly believable arc and genuine desire to help people. Not to mention the fact that she's a bad waifu makes her a WAAAAAY better character. Seriously though, if you think Chie is outshined by Yukiko, then you need to rethink some things in your life, buster!

More like: Relatable, fun, and quirky (without being weird.) with an incredibly believable arc and genuine desire to help people. Not to mention the fact that she's a bad waifu makes her a WAAAAAY better character. Seriously though, if you think Chie is outshined by Yukiko, then you need to rethink some things in your life, buster!

I like yukiko better than chie

Tabby

I like yukiko better than chie

I find Yukiko to be more relatable than Chie. I find Yukiko's personality more interesting, the laugh and the scene with the scary stories.
Chie doesn't appeal to me.

I actually didn't hate Chie at first, the fan base made me hate her.
More like: Relatable
:lol

I'll give you this one

and quirky (without being weird.)
Buwahahaha, the meat fetish is totally normal

with an incredibly believable arc and genuine desire to help people.
Like everyone else in the game?

Not to mention the fact that she's a bad waifu makes her a WAAAAAY better character.
This post reeks of contradiction

Seriously though, if you think Chie is outshined by Yukiko, then you need to rethink some things in your life, buster!
Yukiko at least has a amazing design, Chie has nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom