• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

jarrod

Banned
Grecco said:
Theres also precedent for mutliple revisions. GBA had 3 different versions so did GB (Pocket, Light, Color). Nintendo can make it cheaper, nicer and in the end make more money.
GB did have 3 differing shell releases, but GBC wasn't one of them, it was a new platform entirely really.

If we count adapters too though, then there's been 4 GBs, 2 GBCs and 4 GBAs.

charlequin said:
- DS received a hardware update that obsoleted the original model; sooner or later, almost all purchasers of the DS Phat can be relied upon to purchase a replacement Lite.
Being fair, so did PS2... unless you were one of the ~200k JP FFXI players. :lol

charlequin said:
- Some people will purchase multiple DSes for collectible edition/new color reasons, which was not a major factor for the PS2.
DS has actually had less shell color revisions than PS2 in Japan to this point irrc. It's had more "special edition" bundles though I think.

donny2112

I mentioned this a week or two ago, but it's worth repeating. The PSP has ceased to compete on the same field as the DS. It's hardware sales have almost nothing to do with UMD software anymore. It is generating a sizable userbase, so that if, if, a company can get through to the audience that a game worth buying is out, it could sell pretty well (similar to what ethelred was saying some weeks back). However, it is not a haven for good software sales, in general. As such, comparisons to the DS as a video game machine is missing a good bit of the picture.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
....Simple 2000 vol?? 780

Simple DS Series Vol. 31: The Chou-Dangan!! Custom Sensha

I realize that it doesn't match the Japanese name on Watch Impress, but it does match the name I found for a Simple 2500 Vol.6: The Sensha game for the PSP. Based on that, I tied it to the second Sensha game on the DS.

I'm looking foward to seeing if this data matches the non-rounded Famitsu data from this week. I'm glad you went back to check. Thanks! :)

Ristlager

Regarding Dragon Quest IX, can they port it to PSP? Or is the gameplay made around the stylus? Not that it matters, but there has to be some extra money for SE in bringing it to psp for some easy money.

Vinci

Danish
I think Iwata and Miyamoto already have probably the best idea in terms of expanding the DS's saturation even further, and that's increasing its functionality to make it useful in day-to-day situations. Like the museum idea they discussed a while back and many other applications that could be added to help it sort of horn in a bit on the market the PSP seems to be targeting and selling well to.

Ristlager said:
Regarding Dragon Quest IX, can they port it to PSP? Or is the gameplay made around the stylus? Not that it matters, but there has to be some extra money for SE in bringing it to psp for some easy money.

*headdesk*

kswiston

Ristlager said:

Last I checked, PSP doesn't have two screens. The stylus isn't the only hard to replicate feature in the DS's arsenal.

donny2112 said:
I mentioned this a week or two ago, but it's worth repeating. The PSP has ceased to compete on the same field as the DS. It's hardware sales have almost nothing to do with UMD software anymore. It is generating a sizable userbase, so that if, if, a company can get through to the audience that a game worth buying is out, it could sell pretty well (similar to what ethelred was saying some weeks back).

I think most 3rd parties understand it for at least a year or so. The hardware boost resulting from PSP Slim just give them more opportunities and sales in this area.

Vinci

Danish
Mrbob said:
I'm surprised we have not seen more Monster Hunter clones on PSP.

Aren't the Monster Hunter games rather complex though? I mean, I think the Japanese would utterly ignore anything that was just half-assed to take advantage of the franchise's popularity.

Mrbob said:
I'm surprised we have not seen more Monster Hunter clones on PSP.

Same thought here. Maybe not exactly clones, but something that copies the successful elements of MH. I don't see why MH is the only "miracle" on PSP.

I think Phantasy Star Portable has the potential to enjoy some MH-like success (if SEGA don't screw it up).

Defuser

AnimeTheme said:
Same thought here. Maybe not exactly clones, but something that copies the successful elements of MH. I don't see why MH is the only "miracle" on PSP.

I think Phantasy Star Portable has the potential to enjoy some MH-like success (if SEGA don't screw it up).
Sega already screwed up the moment they announced that it's based on PSU.

Jokeropia

_leech_ said:
So the PS3 got a bigger boost than Famitsu predicted.
Famitsu's numbers aren't any less official or accurate than Media-Create's. I guess you could average the two if you want the 'fairest' estimation.

Defuser

max-pain said:
I'm suprised that the PSP is not the primary platform for Monster Hunter 3.
The portable series and the console series are 2 different things. So you can expect MHP3 sometime in the future.

DarkMehm

Jokeropia said:
Famitsu's numbers aren't any less official or accurate than Media-Create's. I guess you could average the two if you want the 'fairest' estimation.

A few years ago someone here posted that MC is surveying ~30k stores, whereas Famitsu only surveys ~15k stores. I don't know if anything changed since then, if not, I'd say that MC is a bit more accurate.

Jokeropia

I've never seen any official data on the different trackers' respective retailer coverage. (Historical comparisons doesn't really favor MC either as they for example have the Gamecube's LTD a bit higher than Nintendo's shipped number.) Sales-Age generally consider them equally accurate, and the reason we use MC for the threads is that Famitsu release their numbers a week behind.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jokeropia said:
I've never seen any official data on the different trackers' respective retailer coverage. (Historical comparisons doesn't really favor MC either as they for example have the Gamecube's LTD a bit higher than Nintendo's shipped number.) Sales-Age generally consider them equally accurate, and the reason we use MC for the threads is that Famitsu release their numbers a week behind.

Coverage for both is >60%. I've never seen the actual number for Media Create. Somewhere out there there was a # of retailers / approximate percentage for Famitsu.

Ultimately, though, the coverage percentage is irrelevant because you can't calculate their margin of error without also having access to their extrapolation formulae, which are trade secrets--and if you're not aiming to calculate margin of error, there's not much reason to ever know coverage percentage.

Rolf NB

Ristlager said:
It's exclusive to the DS. There's no reason to believe that this plan has changed.

sphinx

the piano man
bcn-ron said:
It's exclusive to the DS. There's no reason to believe that this plan has changed.

I just hope he is not preparing the grounds for a 3 page long " I wish X game would appear on Y console " discussion.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The DS isn't anywhere near dying, most of the posts in this thread illustrate that quite well. When all it is said and done the console will be the highest selling console ever.

On the other hand, I am extremely happy as the resurgence of the PSP, and the best part is that the new adopters over the holidays are buying lots of games. This ensures that the PSP will have a very healthy life and that we will continue to get a good stream of quality Japanese games.

The bitching and moaning is unhealthy, especially because in the end both handhelds will do great.

xaosslug

Vinci said:
Aren't the Monster Hunter games rather complex though? I mean, I think the Japanese would utterly ignore anything that was just half-assed to take advantage of the franchise's popularity.

clone, meaning a copycat game that has nothing to do with MH and isn't made by Capcom.

ethelred said:
Hmm. There seem to be a lot of people soldiering on under the assumption that Dragon Quest IX will help save the DS's hardware sales. Weren't you all mostly the same lot that, upon the game's announcement, trumpeted that it was only reasonable because Dragon Quest always goes to the system with the strongest hardware sales? Maybe DQIX should be moved to the PSP, a system which doesn't need its hardware sales saved.
I was merely suggesting that Nintendo will wait out the release of DQIX for a price-drop (which will give it a good boost). DQIX will give the DS a temporary hw bump on top of the sales in anticipation of DQIX and Nintendo will most likely want to milk the full price out of those sales. And I do believe that lowering the price will have a good effect on sales.

Oh and I also said that Nintendo probably isn't too worried about PSP outselling the DS currently with the sales the DS is seeing.

Vinci

Danish
xaosslug said:
clone, meaning a copycat game that has nothing to do with MH and isn't made by Capcom.

I get the meaning of the word, but cloning a game that's as complex as Monster Hunter likely wouldn't prove very easy and it also would be seen as an inferior product by the Japanese consumer.

ksamedi

Finally some interesting things are happening in these threads. PSP will probably be a huge succes when all is said and done. The DS already had its succes and is now reaching into the how the f*** is that possible territory. I don't think the PSP will ever reach the how the F*** is that possible territory. I fully expect some big games to be announced for the PSP a year from now. I also think that the succes of the PSP has given the DS a longer life because Sony will probably delay the next PSP with these sales. And we all know the next PSP is going to compete with the DS.

Neomoto

I can't believe some people where saying that the DS is "dying" or reaching saturation. It not only sold 21 million units in 3 years (wich already is mind blowing), it also never even had a single price drop. In fact, it had a price increase compared to the launch price right? :lol And it just had a entire holiday.. and still selling 65+ units without any new releases or whatever in a slow period. Yeah.. "dying".

d+pad

Hcoregamer00 said:
The bitching and moaning is unhealthy, especially because in the end both handhelds will do great.

And all of 'gamers' should be happy about that.

Personally, I like what both handhelds bring to the game, as well as what all three consoles bring to the game. Sure, it sucks to have to pick and choose if you can't afford all of them, but you can still have one hell of a time owning 'just' one or two...

xaosslug

Vinci said:
I get the meaning of the word, but cloning a game that's as complex as Monster Hunter likely wouldn't prove very easy and it also would be seen as an inferior product by the Japanese consumer.

who's to say it'd be half-assed, though? I mean Lost Odyssey is a pretty good FF clone... ;)

Jokeropia said:
That´s what I have so far:

Code:
Company			Retailers 	Coverage

GfK (Aus)				96%
ChartTrack		7.000 - 8.000 	90% - 95%
Media Control (DE)	2.000 		70%
NPD Group (US)		 		65%
Media Control (CH)		 	59% (Soft.) / 53% (Hard.)
Media Create	 	 
Famitsu			34.200

Raw64life said:
Some gaffers insist it's coming but it still remains unnanounced :(

Yeah, I think Dragona said it was for sure...but that's not good enough for me.
I need an announcement, screenshots, ads, and a release date. After DQIV & V remakes failed to make it here, I am very skeptical and nervous.

ksamedi said:
Finally some interesting things are happening in these threads. PSP will probably be a huge succes when all is said and done. The DS already had its succes and is now reaching into the how the f*** is that possible territory. I don't think the PSP will ever reach the how the F*** is that possible territory. I fully expect some big games to be announced for the PSP a year from now. I also think that the succes of the PSP has given the DS a longer life because Sony will probably delay the next PSP with these sales. And we all know the next PSP is going to compete with the DS.

Both Platforms are already successful, but for different reasons. They key difference is that the DS' sales are almost purely do to it being a gaming device, while the PSP owes its success to its multimedia functions first. The PSP has yet to prove it's anything more than a portable gamecube as far as Video Game sales are concerned.

donny2112

Captain Smoker said:
That´s what I have so far:

Chart-Track doesn't cover Toys R Us in the U.K. Nintendo consoles have a higher marketshare at TRU relative to the rest of the U.K., so as a result, Chart-Track has undertracked Nintendo products from time to time. Case in point: Nintendo announced 1 million DSs sold in the U.K. while Chart-Track had them at 900-something K. As far as percentages, I thought Chart-Track covered 90% of the U.K. market. Also I've seen that GfK covers ~90% of the Italian market.

ksamedi

DeaconKnowledge said:
Both Platforms are already successful, but for different reasons. They key difference is that the DS' sales are almost purely do to it being a gaming device, while the PSP owes its success to its multimedia functions first. The PSP has yet to prove it's anything more than a portable gamecube as far as Video Game sales are concerned.

I guess that depends on how you look at it. Most of the stuff released on PSP didn't do well because they were kind of crappy or the same kind of experiences were availeble on the PS2 as well. I think when more unique and higher profile titles hit the platform we will be seeing a regular top 10 apearence of PSP titles. I can't see any game that bombed horribly because of the userbase. All the games released kind of sold what they were supposed to sell. Just because there are no games for it doesn't mean people should write it off as a device that can't sell software, a lot of games have sold well on the system and that kind of proves that the right software can fill the pockets of the publisher on the platform.

ksamedi said:
I guess that depends on how you look at it. Most of the stuff released on PSP didn't do well because they were kind of crappy or the same kind of experiences were availeble on the PS2 as well. I think when more unique and higher profile titles hit the platform we will be seeing a regular top 10 apearence of PSP titles. I can't see any game that bombed horribly because of the userbase. All the games released kind of sold what they were supposed to sell. Just because there are no games for it doesn't mean people should write it off as a device that can't sell software, a lot of games have sold well on the system and that kind of proves that the right software can fill the pockets of the publisher on the platform.
The PSP has been out for what, 3 years? How long are we supposed to wait here? Even the sentiment around GAF is that the PSP is a console that gets picked up once every few months for the odd exclusive title.

ksamedi

DeaconKnowledge said:
The PSP has been out for what, 3 years? ow long are we supposed to wait here?

I'm not saying anyone should wait, all I'm saying is that the PSP has become bigger since the introduction of the PSP Lite. It can't be ignored anymore. I have no doubt that the DS will still be the main platform for porteble software but the PSP will get its fair share of games as well and it should. The PSP never actually got the chance to prove itself because of the insane DS numbers.

donny2112 said:
Chart-Track doesn't cover Toys R Us in the U.K. Nintendo consoles have a higher marketshare at TRU relative to the rest of the U.K., so as a result, Chart-Track has undertracked Nintendo products from time to time. Case in point: Nintendo announced 1 million DSs sold in the U.K. while Chart-Track had them at 900-something K. As far as percentages, I thought Chart-Track covered 90% of the U.K. market. Also I've seen that GfK covers ~90% of the Italian market.
You´re right, I´ve seen that somewhere, too, but can´t remember the source. ^^

But I´ll add it:

Code:
Company			Retailers 	Coverage

GfK (Aus)				96%
ChartTrack		7.000 - 8.000 	90% - 95%
GfK (It)				90%
Media Control (DE)	2.000 		70%
NPD Group (US)		 		65%
Media Control (CH)		 	59% (Soft.) / 53% (Hard.)
Media Create	 	 
Famitsu			34.200

And I´m not sure, but MC coverage could be only 57%, but it´s just Google Translate. ^^
Google Translate said:
"2 cover features a high data rate and rich source of information

Retail POS data is based on. Data provided by the cover rate is about 57 percent, to cover a variety of business. In addition, prior reservation status, shipping status and digestive conditions, such as nearby secondhand trends data, qualitative information by listening to the stores and used as a complementary materials."

Original said:
"データの特徴2 高いカバー率と豊富な情報源

データは小売店のPOSをベースにしております。データ提供元のカバー率は、およそ57%、多様な業態をカバーしております。さらに、事前の予約状況、出荷状況や消化状況、中古動向といった周辺データ、店舗へのヒアリングによる定性情報等を補完資料として用いています。"

http://www.m-create.com/biz/data.html

bryehn

Forgotten Ancient said:
Yeah, I think Dragona said it was for sure...but that's not good enough for me.
I need an announcement, screenshots, ads, and a release date. After DQIV & V remakes failed to make it here, I am very skeptical and nervous.

It was already more than half-translated to English when it was released in Japan, I really don't think there's any doubt that it's coming...

ksamedi said:
I'm not saying anyone should wait, all I'm saying is that the PSP has become bigger since the introduction of the PSP Lite. It can't be ignored anymore. I have no doubt that the DS will still be the main platform for porteble software but the PSP will get its fair share of games as well and it should. The PSP never actually got the chance to prove itself because of the insane DS numbers.

I'm not getting you here.

Why is this year suddenly a breakout year for the PSP? Because the DS has reached 20 million? What incentive to all but a handful of developers have to try with the PSP that they didn't have a year ago?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ksamedi said:

I think people can ignore it just fine if they want too. If people can ignore the Wii they sure as hell can get away with ignoring the PSP

d+pad

ksamedi said:
The PSP never actually got the chance to prove itself because of the insane DS numbers.

Yes, it did - at the beginning, when it was outselling the DS and the DS was widely considered a bad move by Nintendo. It also has had a chance to prove itself since the Slim was released. I guess you could argue it's doing better now than it did then, but any way you slice it, software sales are disspointing considering the HW sales.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great machine and I think it's a shame people aren't buying more games for it, but that doesn't mean it's going to turn into the DS anytime soon...

Laguna said:
What numbers did this Gundam Giren series on other platforms. And what did other Gundams in general did on PSP?
I know this question has been answered in general, but I just wanted to point out that Kurosaki Ichigo made a fantastic post about this game series in last week's thread. If we assume that 60k first day results in about 100k first week, the game will hit half of Namco's expectations, about the same as the Saturn original, and half or less of the PS1 and PS2 versions. That's not great, but given how the last entry was a PSP port of the PS1 game more than two years ago--and the current PSP version is vastly outselling that one--I think it's not too bad.

As for other Gundam games on PSP, here's the notable ones LTD:
Code:
SD Gundam G Generation Portable       278,702
Gundam Battle Chronicle               209,891
Gundam SEED Rengou vs. ZAFT Portable  133,087
Gundam Battle Royale                  114,861
Gundam Battle Tactics                  73,275
In other words, the new Giren will likely end up in either second or third place, which would put it in the top 20 PSP games. A 200k first week as Namdai suggested would be aiming for highest Gundam game on the system, and in the top 5 overall.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Nintendo announced 1 million DSs sold in the U.K. while Chart-Track had them at 900-something K.

Do we get Chart-Track hardware numbers or was this said through the Nintendo press conference (or some other conference)?

Top Bottom