• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't offer option to disable PS4 DualShock 4 light bar

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've already taped it up, but I'd like the better battery life that would come with turning it off. In due time.

Farslain

Turning off the LED really won't extend the operating time by anything significant. But I can understand people that want it off because they don't like the light or the reflection on the TV.

You are incorrect, turning it off extends the operating time significantly. My own personal experience takes the time between recharges from hours to days.

We all ignorantly believe LEDs are some low power draw wonder technology, and compared to lighting of old, this is true. However this isn't a low power led, it is incredibly bright, so bright they put it through an opaque diffuser to physically dim it, and it is constantly in use, constantly drawing maximum amperage, unlike the Bluetooth transmission with its low power states depending on use.

Farslain

I wonder if the reason Sony can't let us control it is because they have already told developers that it is available for them to control and use or not use as they see fit.

Looking at the internal hardware I don't see anything that could dim the led. I don't see the same hardware limitation for using software to turn it off however.

So perhaps they've promised developers the use of the led to annoy the masses with and drain our batteries, or perhaps the answer "No" is just for now and in time things will change.

they could've just added a tiny indicator like the ds3 for this.

Neither does the lightbar. When holding the DS4, I can only see the light in my tv reflection

Could've but they didn't.
And ofcourse ambient light works better in dark. But it can be used for anything.

And I am not even saying they are good uses.

Marc

I don't know Shu, but it's pretty damn hard to judge someone's attitude from reading the word "no" written in twitter. Do you expect him to write down their reasoning for doing everything people may ask about on twitter? That seems like it's a lot to ask for someone who's job ostensibly doesn't revolve around answering twitter queries.

The fact that he's even made himself available to give us the information he has is the opposite of "pathetic communication" in my opinion.

If he was quoting the original comment then I understand better due to twitters character limitation. He isn't, so he can write "Not right now", or "We are evaluating this option", or "we are happy with its operation but will consider this".... anything. 'No' has a finality to it which we know for a fact isn't final so comes off as arrogant.

Its great he interacts with fans and that is a good personal communication, I am clearly talking about the communication as a CEO answering issues for the company he represents. Which I state but you have left out of the quote you refer to "on any companies part". Shu is a lovely man and I think he is brilliant, that is a completely separate issue to what is being discussed however. The FAQ, the silence on the games front, the issues that have cropped up post-launch that are annoying users but are yet to get any positive changes to.

And btw, no one forced him to answer those tweets. If he wants to do it then people are free to comment back on the answer, yes?

Vicious DS - But shu already shot that down, he of said the doubled battery life - "that's untrue"

Metalmarc

Do we really need the touchpad while we're at it?

Idea for Sony, realease a NO LED, no touchpad DS4 at a slightly lower price

You can have that idea free of charge

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think he's doing a good thing by giving flat "yes" or "no" responses to twitter questions. He's going on the record with the answers, and he probably has many more important things to take care of in a day, so I appreciate his approach.

Never noticed how bad the light was until I actually had the controller. I use the thing as a light source. I literally use it while I'm playing a game, to see under the couch. I know it's annoying when I can use it for that.

The PS3 and 360 light wasn't that bad. They were small and unnoticeable just how I like it.

Marc

That's a shame.

Thankfully I've modded my 3 controllers and about 10 for family and friends so the light is disabled. If I ever buy the camera I'll install physical switches.

Takes about 5 minutes to open the controller and use tape to mask off half of the ribbon cable feeding the led matrix, you leave the other half of the cable live to allow for USB charging. I imagine if you have the charging cradle you can just unplug the ribbon altogether.

Regarding battery life, it is massively better, all day gaming sessions become a reality where they are impossible with the light on. With light the controllers would get charged 2-3 times daily for heavy use, with the light disabled that becomes charged every 2-3 days.

One caveat to having no light, it does make it less obvious your battery is low, and with it lasting so long a dead battery sneaks up on you. I can see myself modding a tiny low power led in to the controller at some point.

That sounds great.

If you could do custom paint jobs (white gloss 4 life), with a light switch and a small batter indicator LED... I would definitely buy one. You could get it down to a quick process and sell them dude, other custom websites exist that don't offer that level of modding and appear to make money.

Good job regardless, might have to look at it myself in the future, was kind of holding out hope Sony would listen to fans now considering that was working out so well for them.

Madness

Turn the controller off?

Ilúvatar;97342400 said:
I thought the common reasoning was that the touchpad drained much more battery than the LED?

+1

Why give advice that is wrong or when you don't really know what you're talking about? When watching Netflix, turning off the controller pauses the video.

It's just dumb, it's an almost unnecessary and useless feature. Even if the LED's aren't huge power draws, it's still a drain on the battery for no reason.

NJDEN

I don't own a PS4, but I do own the controller for PC gaming...

Thanks to after market drivers I can disable the lightbar and use the touchpad on my PC.

Minto

It's always been a non-issue for me. When watching Netflix or a Blu-Ray I just turn the controller off. When I game it doesn't reflect in my TV, just lucky I guess.

kartu

Banned
It is software controlled and can be disabled.
Yet they refuse to do it AND don't bother explaining, why.

WHY!?!?

Stillmatic

I sit about 7 feet away from a 50" Plasma and don't even notice it while playing (BF4, KZ:SF, NBA2K14). I can see this being annoying with darker games though, like Outlast.

For games that don't require the light bar there should be an option to turn it off. It was possible to disable it early on in the DS4 PC driver, so it must be pretty easy to implement, I guess devs hands are tied.

yamo

I don't have a PS4 yet but I can see the light bar becoming a problem for me once I get one. I usually hold my controller with the front of it close to my chin and the thumbsticks pointing towards my chest... will have the lightbar right up my ugly face. :(

Samus4145

Those are calculated numbers. Just like my car is supposed to get 38 MPG when it actually gets around 30. Show me some real tests then I'll believe disabling the LED will double the battery life.

I plan on doing that this weekend. Hopefully I can put something together.

Replicant

I never understand this problem and I often game in the dark. Either my TV has some anti-glare properties or the angle of my TV vs contoller just don't align.

So I guess we'll get a new ds4 with a bigger battery so the thing lasts longer than 7 hours?

Seriously for all the right Sony has done this is incredibly boneheaded.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Looks kinda ghetto, though. No?

Not really. I cut a slit in the middle so I can see the color if necessary.
uxx3vMq.jpg

8byte

Banned
I really would rather have a shorter auto off time. 5 minutes. If I haven't touched my controller for 5 minutes, turn it off. Why is 10 minutes the minimum? Seems rather silly, no? At least give me the OPTION. Would save tons of battery time when I'm watching netflix, etc.

Also, I wish I could manually turn off the controller during netflix viewing without it PAUSING THE SHOW. Very annoying.

iammeiam

You are incorrect, turning it off extends the operating time significantly. My own personal experience takes the time between recharges from hours to days.

Thinking about it, the ligt being as much of a battery drain as you're reporting could actually be a reason behind not making it optional on an OS level, in a twisted way.

Sony wants people to use the light; they want people to associate it with the Playstation and cool in-game functions. If glare was the only problem, and battery impact was trivial, only those actively bothered by the light would disable it. But if controllers last significantly longer lightless, and you didn't have to physically alter the controller to see the improvement, more people would have it disabled; less lights in use means less motive for devs to use it, which means even less reason to keep it enabled long-term.

Regarding battery life, it is massively better, all day gaming sessions become a reality where they are impossible with the light on. With light the controllers would get charged 2-3 times daily for heavy use, with the light disabled that becomes charged every 2-3 days.
Wow.

If anything, making the light optional to extend the battery life should be something we can all agree to here.

Also, like i've said previously, I think the people having a problem with the light on the TV is because of how you hold the controller. Set the Dualshock on a flat surface...the light actually points DOWN.

At least for me, when I play, I don't keep my elbows and the controller tilted up. So the light has always pointed downwards for me, and never been an issue.

A. It shouldn't be a problem no matter how you hold it. Stop telling people "you're doing it wrong".
B. I find it annoying that it lights up my hands and the floor, not my TV. Am I holding it wrong, too?

Farslain

That sounds great.

If you could do custom paint jobs (white gloss 4 life), with a light switch and a small batter indicator LED... I would definitely buy one. You could get it down to a quick process and sell them dude, other custom websites exist that don't offer that level of modding and appear to make money.

Good job regardless, might have to look at it myself in the future, was kind of holding out hope Sony would listen to fans now considering that was working out so well for them.

I can do custom paint jobs, I have thousands worth of airbrushing equipment. My controllers and PS4 will be white grey and orange shortly. Never had much interest in selling stuff, though it is fun to do stuff for friends.

I definitely recommend the led mod, it is incredibly easy and very beneficial.

cakefoo

Thinking about it, the ligt being as much of a battery drain as you're reporting could actually be a reason behind not making it optional on an OS level, in a twisted way.

Sony wants people to use the light; they want people to associate it with the Playstation and cool in-game functions. If glare was the only problem, and battery impact was trivial, only those actively bothered by the light would disable it. But if controllers last significantly longer lightless, and you didn't have to physically alter the controller to see the improvement, more people would have it disabled; less lights in use means less motive for devs to use it, which means even less reason to keep it enabled long-term.
Are devs using it anyway? Hard to use a light for visual feedback when it's on the other side of your controller.

Farslain

Yeah as fucked up as it sounds you can see the motive in the light staying on to preserve the identity and unify the functionality.

Experience parity has to be incredibly important to any console hardware manufacturer I'd imagine.

Wow.

If anything, making the light optional to extend the battery life should be something we can all agree to here.

Amen to that, it looks like the only way that is going to happen is if we mod it ourselves. Perhaps a year or two down the line, or a hardware revision will see a change of stance. Maybe even the PS4 slim and the inevitable cost reduction via hardware that brings will see it's removal.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks kinda ghetto, though. No?

You wanna see ghetto?

1526256_1407047416209403_708128887_n.jpg

That's three layers of tape it's shining through. Red isn't bad but the blue, green, and yellow is bright. I like the colors and the info it gives so I don't want it gone completely but it's kind of nuts how powerful the light is.

Top Bottom