• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say, I know that a few of the talks have leaked in part, but as I recall Valve was going to put up some (all?) of the Steam DevDay talks online. Have they done this already? Or mentioned where they will be? Really interested in checking some of them out.

Finally beat Shadow Warrior. My god, that was a slog. If that's an 8 hour game, it's 50x more fun. Definitely a case of more does not equal better.

Cth

Also Catlateral Damage:

uiMw5kF.gif

DPmN5ay.gif

Awesome to hear!

If they can add controller support they'll be rolling in the money.

We have just updated the beta with the following changes:

General
Show “invalid file system” if game tries to install files larger than 4GB on FAT32
Make "View Community Hub" item in a game's context menu go to the game hub if available.
Ukrainian language support added to the Steam Client
Fixed applying wrong region restrictions in some cases
Fixed installing from old retail install discs

Big Picture
Fixed “NoBigPicture” dialogs not showing correctly localized strings
Ensured that “start in Big Picture” setting is automatically cleared if Big Picture fails to launch and one of the “No Big Picture” dialogs is shown so that the next launch will succeed to desktop UI
Fixed some cases where multi-monitor setups would not fully restore original monitor layout after closing Big Picture when a non primary monitor is chosen for Big Picture use
Changed X360 controller guide button to never trigger desktop UI to Big Picture UI transition if used while a game is in focus

In-Home Streaming:
Automatically update Windows firewall rules to allow streaming
Fixed launching the streaming client on Windows XP
Added support for streaming non-Steam games in the Steam library
Steam Controller configurations edited via the streaming overlay apply promptly
Added remote gamepad support for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Skullgirls, and SEGA Bass Fishing
Fixed "Authentication problem" error for Steamworks developers
Added support for Guide+Y and Guide+X chord actions on the Steam Controller

VR mode
HMDs cloned with main display are now supported
Fixed some cases where the window on the HMD would close unexpectedly
Fixed stretching issues due to odd aspect ratios

Beta update.

louiedog

Finally beat Shadow Warrior. My god, that was a slog. If that's an 8 hour game, it's 50x more fun. Definitely a case of more does not equal better.

I just hit the 7.5 hour mark on my game last night and I'm still itching for more. I hope I don't feel the same way. It may have helped that I played the first couple of hours two weeks ago and have taken it slowly.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Humble Weekly added Fish Fillets 2 for all purchasers and ARMA: Cold war Assault, I guess for BTA. Both Steam.

Sweet! Fish Fillets 2 seems very out of place here, but I'm not complaining.

Gvaz

Banned
Hey guys, quick question. Probably a really dumb question as well. So I bought physical copies of Homefront and The Darkness II from that Microsoft Store sale (they were $5 combined, cannot beat that price) but in my hastiness to order, I kinda forgot that I don't exactly have an optical drive in my computer.
holy shit I am dumb
I called Microsoft to cancel the order like 20 minutes later, was told the order was cancelled, they charged my account anyways and I just got the games in the mail. Oh well. $5 out of my wallet, can't really complain. Anyways. My question is: Both games are Steamworks-enabled, is it possible to activate/download them with the keys that came with them without having to use the disc? Or am I kinda screwed?

Your first issue was spending even a single penny on Homefront. God damn I've played some shit games in my time but people weren't kidding when they said it was bad.

oipic

Humble Weekly added Fish Fillets 2 for all purchasers and ARMA: Cold war Assault, I guess for BTA. Both Steam.

Strange - is this the first time a Humble weekly has received add-ons? Will be interesting to see if this becomes a regular thing now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any of those greenlit games was in bundles? thats always the most exciting part, the "free" games

Vazduh

For masochists

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fish Fillets 2 -- MB-ABB49C8095065B46 - Taken by JakeD

Winternet

Banned
I have no idea where to post this but I really need your help GAF.
11 days ago, while im playing CS:GO the game suddenly minimized and I got this message from Steam:

I thought someone hacked my account or something but everything seemed to be just fine. I have my steam guard on and no one even tried to log in from a different computer.
I contacted steam support immediately and this is how the conversation went up until now:

Seriously fuck this shit.
I wish I had the ability to open a new thread.

Finally getting my new GFX on Sunday!

Will once again have a computer, and I will be trying out Crysis 3 in order to fully test this space station's capabilities.

Grief.exe

I have no idea where to post this but I really need your help GAF.
11 days ago, while im playing CS:GO the game suddenly minimized and I got this message from Steam:

I thought someone hacked my account or something but everything seemed to be just fine. I have my steam guard on and no one even tried to log in from a different computer.
I contacted steam support immediately and this is how the conversation went up until now:

Seriously fuck this shit.
I wish I had the ability to open a new thread.

Your email was probably hacked. Reformat, change your password.

Send them some keys from humble games, GMG, Amazon, etc that you have activated.

Threats really get you no where, especially baseless ones like those you listed. At least get some more information before you go full 5 year-old tantrum mode.

Winternet

Banned

Send them some keys from humble games, GMG, Amazon, etc that you have activated.

Threats really get you no where, especially baseless ones like those you listed. At least get some more information before you go full 5 year-old tantrum mode.
But my email is just fine.
No one hacked my account and no one hacked my email.
and I still have access to my steam account, nothing has changed.
This alert came out of nowhere and i dont know what to do :(

edit: I sent them every single CD Key I had from the humble bundles, but they're asking for a 10 year old CD Key which I don't have.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

As you'll see, he's already sent them keys from a bundle, to which they requested a specific CD Key he no longer has access to.

I just hit the 7.5 hour mark on my game last night and I'm still itching for more. I hope I don't feel the same way. It may have helped that I played the first couple of hours two weeks ago and have taken it slowly.

What chapter are you up to? I think I hit a wall around Chapter 9/10 where I thought "My God, this is still going?"

Chapters 14-17 go pretty quickly though, so, at least there was that.

Terra_Ex

As you'll see, he's already sent them keys from a bundle, to which they requested a specific CD Key he no longer has access to.
Surely some other physical CD key from a purchased steamworks game should suffice. I can understand the bundle keys not being enough if there's an irregularity/concern with regards to the user's email account. Seems very odd to be asking for cd keys from that long ago though...

louiedog

What chapter are you up to? I think I hit a wall around Chapter 9/10 where I thought "My God, this is still going?"

Chapters 14-17 go pretty quickly though, so, at least there was that.

I just finished chapter 9. The only thing that's really bugging me so far is the sections when they throw a dozen flying enemies at me. I don't find that particularly fun.

Zeliard

I got 59/60 achievements in Guacamelee and now I never want to play that game ever again.

It's unhealthily good, especially the platforming. I'm spent.

Grief.exe

Ya, I meant more keys. Just overwhelm them with evidence to the point that they have to realize it is his account.

I didn't realize it was just an alert and didn't effect the account at all. Seems to be a little ridiculous to go up in arms over what amounts to nothing.

I got 59/60 achievements in Guacamelee and now I never want to play that game ever again.

It's unhealthily good, especially the platforming. I'm spent.

What is the last one that is so elusive?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ya, I meant more keys. Just overwhelm them with evidence to the point that they have to realize it is his account.

I didn't realize it was just an alert and didn't effect the account at all. Seems to be a little ridiculous to go up in arms over what amounts to nothing.

What is the last one that is so elusive?

"Purchasing, gifting, trading, cd-key activation, and Steam Community access have been disabled."

Is a little bit more than "what amounts to nothing". Bombarding them with more keys or asking how you can prove your ownership via the payment method option as listed in the alert could work, but Steam Support is usually rather unhelpful so I can understand his frustration here.

Winternet

Banned

dude, i can't use the market, i can't trade, i can't talk with friends (people can't see i'm online), i can't even edit my profile.

I just finished chapter 9. The only thing that's really bugging me so far is the sections when they throw a dozen flying enemies at me. I don't find that particularly fun.

Good luck. :) I would recommend saving after taking out some of those bigger enemies so you're not stuck redoing the beginning of the fight if you die. I wish I thought of that before Chapter 12 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom