• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicalis co-founder has some harsh words for the Wii U GamePad.

Oddduck

Nicalis co-founder Tyrone Rodriguez says it was a bad idea for Nintendo to sell a $100 GamePad. Nicalis is bringing 1001 Spikes and 90s Arcade Racer to Wii U.

Link: http://mynintendonews.com/2014/03/04/nicalis-founder-hits-back-at-the-wii-u-gamepad/

nqs1.jpg

eyc2.jpg

bw8j.jpg

cm3r.jpg

vp6b.jpg

VanWinkle

Ouch. Although I like some things about the Gamepad, I can't say I entirely disagree with him. I would have preferred PS4-quality specs with a Wii U Pro Controller instead of PS3/360-quality specs with a Gamepad.

I'd say he's talking about how DKC Tropical Freeze having a blank screen on the Gamepad while playing. I was annoyed by that.

Sendou

Yeah sure it was the wrong move to make (something something hindsight) but that $100+ figure isn't very accurate at all. There isn't a legit source to this as far as I'm aware.

Besides GamePad is awesome :p Not many games use it but those that do make it shine.

And he's totally right. Unless Nintendo starts actually using it, they should drop it. As is, it's a glorified keyboard.

Nintendo's biggest games don't use it at all (unless a horn counts)--including Mario Kart and Smash. So much potential, wasted.

kmax

Nintendo tried to cash in on the mobile crowd with the gamepad.

...we all know how well that turned out.

jmizzal

At least he is making WiiU games, unlike those other devs that make up excuses about why they cant make a WiiU game

Spot on, it is a waste of time (and adds cost to a console that desperately needs to be cheaper). Nintendo have made zero compelling reasons for it's existence.

"Pave the path". Why should he be trying to make games that prove the concept of the controller? That's Nintendo's job.

I agree with him, it's a waste to have it with the system. Just an anchor in the sea of irrelevancy.

FluxWaveZ

From the sounds of it, it didn't sound like even Nintendo was too sure about their gamepad idea so maybe it wasn't that great of a concept.

MYE

Someone please explain to me the advantages of badmouthing a machine you are releasing your shit in, on Twitter for the world to see.

God bless these social networks for providing so much free entertainment.
They are like armed guns in the hands of impulsive people who only think after they knee-jerk over the most inappropriate of things lol

Silky

Banned
Is the person that he's responding power glove wearing Triforce?

@EMP_Triforce_GM

dont follow him dude is crazy

Someone please explain to me the advantages of badmouthing a machine you are releasing your shit in, on Twitter for the world to see.

pretty sure an individual's thoughts aren't represenative of the company as a whole.
people are allowed to criticize a product wether they build for it or not. there's been plenty of developers/pubs that have had grievances.

it's his personal account. he can say what he damn well pleases.

DJ_Lae

I don't disagree. There some good stuff on the WiiU but the most compelling thing I've seen about the gamepad is off-screen play (and that's kind of hampered by the compression ruining reds).

ZombiU, Nintendoland, amusing but gimmicky screen use.

pvpness

Pffft. I expected harsh words and am leaving disappointed. That's just a regurgitated cool kid opinion. Boring.

Silky

Banned
gamepad's only good for prolonged uses if the game has off screen functionality, let's be real. i've yet to see an original use of the damn thing from anyone other than the people who created it (Nintendo) and even so the originality function overstays it's welcome.

which division at Ninty made WarioWare? Let them handle the cool gamepad functions.

"Pave the path". Why should he be trying to make games that prove the concept of the controller? That's Nintendo's job.
No, Nintendo's job is to give him the canvas for him to create with. Which Nintendo has done, and rather well. The onus is completely on Tyrone for not making full use of the system's capabilities.
pretty sure an individual's thoughts aren't represenative of the company as a whole.
people are allowed to criticize a product wether they build for it or not. there's been plenty of developers/pubs that have had grievances.

Tell that to Adam Orth.

I like it for Off Screen Play but that's about it. It would have been a nice accessory to buy separate to the console though.
This. I would've bought it as an additional device Especially if it was a little more than a dumb terminal. If I could take it anywhere and flash load games? Heavenly.

MYE

Of course he can say what he wants. He can call it a piece of shit if he feels that way.
I'm asking if its smart to do it when it will very soon be a gateway for his product to reach consumers.

He gained absolutely nothing by twitting that, and could potentially sour the relationship between his company and Nintendo, or even a potential buyer.

Glass Joe

I don't think his opinion is all that harsh? Just realistic at this point. If there was an option for a gamepad-less SKU that could chop $100 off the asking price, it would likely help the console out.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the pad and I'd totally buy the U version WITH the gamepad, but I can understand that my preferences are not the same as others.

I mean, it's not like Nintendo are even actively courting the mobile stuff that could potentially justify the inclusion of the touch screen. Not even a match 3 game like Candy Crush, Bejeweled, or Puzzles & Dragons is available. And when a flagship title like Donkey Kong just shows a black screen, there's clearly internal regret. But hey, that twitter guy could get ambitious if he wanted, too. Gyroscope steering and a rear view mirror on the pad for 90's Arcade Racer would be nice options. Not enough to justify the pad, but old-at-heart games like that and 1001 Spikes weren't meant to anyway.

Just sounds like someone who doesn't know how to make use of the gamepad.

When the people who designed and manufacture the dammed thing can barely come up with a good use for it, you cant complain about 3rd parties not coming up for uses for it either.

well i can see where he is comming from but i love the gamepad as a complementary device to my TV.

it really needs an insta boot option though

True words. Excluding ZombiU, the best thing I can say about the thing is that the built-in remote and OS on the screen make booting up the console slightly more comfortable. Yeah... Should have made an improved Wiimote and make the hardware stronger instead of this redundancy.

Silky

Banned
No, Nintendo's job is to give him the canvas for him to create with. Which Nintendo has done, and rather well. The onus is completely on Tyrone for not making full use of the system's capabilities.

Tell that to Adam Orth.

Didn't Orth insult the fanbase by telling consumers to deal with it

Of course he can say what he wants. He can call it a piece of shit if he feels that way.
I'm asking if its smart to do it when it will very soon be a gateway for your product.

He gained absolutely nothing by twitting that, and could potentially sour the relationship between his company and Nintendo, or even a potential buyer.

hasn't Nicalis released stuff on the Wii-U/3DS already? I mean, they're a pretty good pub. doubt it'd sour anything imo

--

holy shit are people seriously sending the guy inflammatory all caps nonsense? lol, internet at it's fucking finest

jholmes

I generally think Tyrone Rodriguez comes across as a sharp guy and one of the likeable dudes out there in the industry, but man, his "no, you make a game" tweet does not cast him in a flattering light.

zma1013

I generally think Tyrone Rodriguez comes across as a sharp guy and one of the likeable dudes out there in the industry, but man, his "no, you make a game" tweet does not cast him in a flattering light.

Yeah, it sounds like something a 7 year old would say. "Why don't YOU DO IT!"

No way the BOM on the thing is a 100. But sacrificing other crucial parts of the hardware for the Upad was a move critisized since the unveiling by some of us. And Nintendo didnt even incude an HDMI passthrough to exploit a bit more of the potential uses for the device.

Chopper

Even if they could come up with a game that made good use of the second screen, it wouldn't come out in Europe anyway. Nicalis's opinion is irrelevant to me.

Also, that "no u" response is pathetic. Hellooooo Mcflyyyy. It's your job!

Top Bottom