• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Beat Agents (U.S. Ouendan)

mollipen

First, sorry if this has already been posted - I guess I'm not allowed to use the search function yet. Please merge or whatnot this thread if one already exists.

Found the English version out for demo today, and gave it a go. Just so we're clear, almost all of this game has been remade for the U.S. version. In an odd stroke, the English version actually makes less sense than the Japanese... in this one, a crack team of agents go out and sing to help people in need. How exactly their singing helps, and why a team of agents is doing this, who knows.

There were two songs in the demo. In the first, a teenage girl wants to go out with this football player, but she can't work up the nerve to ask him. She invites him over, so that she can, but right as she is about to, somebody she babysits for shows up and drops her kids off. As the kids cause chaos in the house, the guy says that either she calms the kids down or he'l leaving. The story is then about calming down the kids. Song was "Walkie Talkie Man."

Second is about a dog that goes out on a walk with his seven year old master. As the kid plays basketball, the dog falls asleep, but doesn't realize that he's sleeping in the back of a truck. He wakes up 40 miles from home, and has to survive heading back, overcoming hunger, and protecting a cute poodle from a rough group of dogs. The song was "Highway Star."

They've really put a lot of work into the English version, and I'm certainly going to pick it up. However, it just doesn't feel the same as the Japanese version, and everything is going to depend on how the song selection turns out.

Matlock

Banned
shidoshi said:
They've really put a lot of work into the English version, and I'm certainly going to pick it up. However, it just doesn't feel the same as the Japanese version, and everything is going to depend on how the song selection turns out.

Given "Highway Star," "Walkie Talkie Man," and "Livin' La Vida Loca," the song selection so far sounds to be similar in tone to that of the Japanese game's list.

nfreakct

Matlock said:
Given "Highway Star," "Walkie Talkie Man," and "Livin' La Vida Loca," the song selection so far sounds to be similar in tone to that of the Japanese game's list.

When was Livin' La Vida Loca confirmed?

White Man

Sho Nuff said:
This will be good for me. I got better at Ouendan but I didn't particularly like the crappy J-Rock...

I really liked maybe 3 or 4 songs in Ouendan to the point that I loaded them on my iPod. When I try to think of what the other songs even sounded like, a giant question mark appears over my head.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Matlock said:
Livin' La Vida Loca? Now I'm looking forward to this. :lol

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Cool. Just got Ouendan and probably I'll get this version too. Thanks for the impressions.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
TheMissingLink said:
Ugh.

This game's gonna have shit music and lose all it's charm :/
walkie talkie man rules.

Koomaster

nfreakct said:
When was Livin' La Vida Loca confirmed?
I want to know this too.

I'm really excited they've decided to basically make this a sequel (to those of us who've imported the original) and give it new stories and songs. I'll definitely be getting this again. I would just really like to know the song list.

TheMissingLink said:
Gah!

The charming J-pop is going to be replaced by...Judas Priest? Deep Purple? Oh dear lord why.
Then don't worry about the American verison. Just keep playing the japanese version. Nintendo has to change it, it not like it will sell to the average american with j-pop tunes. It would only sell to Otakus.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
TheMissingLink said:
Gah!

The charming J-pop is going to be replaced by...Judas Priest? Deep Purple? Oh dear lord why.
Yeah every game in the world should have wacky J-pop. American music is inferior.

Taichu

Awesome. I love how this game is pretty much being turned into a sequel with new characters, new stories, and new music.

People who are complaining about the songs so far need to STFU.

The worst part about it is that iNis is going back and replacing the J-pop in the original Ouendan with the new American tunes :( :( :(

OH WAIT THEY DIDN'T SO SHUT THE GODDAMNED FUCK UP

hooo

boooy
Who's doing the localization on this? I really hope that iNis is involved and it's not just a NOA team making a clone. Even if they get the song selection and art are right, the level design needs to be up to par too. I really don't trust anyone but the original developer iNis to do it.

7Th

TheMissingLink said:
Ugh.

This game's gonna have shit music and lose all it's charm :/

Yeah, as Asian Kung-Fu Generation, L'Arc-en-Ciel and Orange Range are examples of quality music. Not a fan of most of the new stuff so far, but wasn't of the original either and enjoyed it nevertheless.

Hey, all I'm saying is this game's going to come out and not hold a candle to the original, for a few reasons including, but not limited to, the different music used.

TheMissingLink said:
Hey, all I'm saying is this game's going to come out and not hold a candle to the original, for a few reasons including, but not limited to, the different music used.

You do know that iNis is choosing the music as well as scripting and creating all the new levels, right? Well, iNis is a Japanese company! Where is your cultural elitism now!

TheMissingLink said:
Gah!

There's no "replaced." Elite Beat... think of it as a spinoff with the same gameplay, but brand new cinemas and music.

I hope the Ouendan team is unlockable (like how
Cheer Girls
could be unlocked in Ouendan), but I'll definitely give this a shot. And maybe if it sells well, they'll bring the original Ouendan over.

Walkie Talkie Man...is that that song where the guy is like, "when you're hipping and hopping and blah blah blah"? I HATE that song.

Lee N

Membre
Sugarman said:
Walkie Talkie Man...is that that song where the guy is like, "when you're hipping and hopping and blah blah blah"? I HATE that song.
That's the one.. it was used in an iPod commercial, I guess most people would recognize it from that.

jj984jj

hooo said:
Who's doing the localization on this? I really hope that iNis is involved and it's not just a NOA team making a clone. Even if they get the song selection and art are right, the level design needs to be up to par too. I really don't trust anyone but the original developer iNis to do it.
According to Nintendo's press site, it's iNiS.

jgkspsx

1. Walkie Talkie Man is kind of annoying.
2. Walkie Talkie Man is exactly the same kind of song as the one from the robot level in Ouendan.
3. This will be great.

Kroole

If only iNis could replace the spinning sequences with something else. They have nothing to do with rythm. If I wanted to spin or press a button really fast I would play Track 'n Field.

jgkspsx

Kroole said:
If only iNis could replace the spinning sequences with something else. They have nothing to do with rythm. If I wanted to spin or press a button really fast I would play Track 'n Field.
I agree. They're there for the "oh shit" factor alone.

hooo

boooy
jj984jj said:
According to Nintendo's press site, it's iNiS.
God bless. I can now officially be excited about this game strange name and all.

Edit: The new character designs are awesome. So over the top that they fit the ridiculous name. :lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
sweet, i'm so glad they spent so much time and effort on us americans. i wasn't sure if this was a necessary purchase since i already bought ouendan, but after all this news, I MUST BUY THIS.

look at their hair!! BEAUTIFUL!!!

PkunkFury

I'm glad they are practically remaking the whole game. The screens look awesome and I'm buying this on day one. But I hope they aren't too busy, cuz I want a Wii version

JavyOO7

A Link to the Past said:
You're only allowed to hate this game if you only just heard about it. Initial shock is acceptable.

But hating further is just being a Japanophile!

The English Ouendan playlist could be 15 of the biggest pieces of shit songs I've ever heard, but it still won't stop me from buying it in day one and mastering all the songs in no time.

jj984jj

Bill-Lumberg said:
The person responsible for giving the go-ahead for a US version should be strung up!
Why? If it wasn't for this I doubt we'd get anything.

Miguel

I'll soon be on my way to play this again. :) This is one of the games I'll be picking up once I get my DSLite (well, whenever it comes out)

Walkie Talkie Man :)

I just wish there were 1-2 more levels, since it doesn't seem like a game that too many people are playing.

Top Bottom